The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
View Poll Results: Who's the most beautiful royal woman?
Princess Diana 60 10.07%
Princess Beatrice 1 0.17%
Princess Eugenie 3 0.50%
Crown Princess Mathilde 21 3.52%
Crown Princess Mary 79 13.26%
Countess Alexandra 5 0.84%
Crown Princess Maxima 14 2.35%
Princess Laurentien 1 0.17%
Princess Mabel 0 0%
Queen Noor 6 1.01%
Queen Rania 76 12.75%
Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg 9 1.51%
Princess Grace 81 13.59%
Princess Caroline 29 4.87%
Princess Stephanie 1 0.17%
Charlotte Casiraghi 38 6.38%
Crown Princess Mette-Marit 16 2.68%
Princess Märtha Louise 7 1.17%
Crown Princess Letizia 56 9.40%
Infanta Elena 0 0%
Infanta Cristina 9 1.51%
Crown Princess Victoria 15 2.52%
Princess Madeleine 40 6.71%
Other 29 4.87%
Voters: 596. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarina View Post
You are right, them...Mary hasn´t this quality.
Au contraire. She does possess such quality, one only needs to take a look at the latetest picture of her to see it. As a matter of fact, she almost always looks perfect, and never flashy.

She's not the most beautiful person I've ever seen (bone structure wise), I've already said that. I would argue however, she is the MOST sophisticated of all the new princesses, and that's BEAUTY in itself. In order to look immaculate with make up, one needs to have some degree of beauty in the first place(notice her simplicity too).

And for the record, I think Letizia is beautiful as well. VARIETY, wonderful isn't it?

Old 09-15-2007, 02:41 PM
Nobility

None of the current crown princesses are classically pretty women in the mold of a Princess Grace or a Queen Paola (in their respective youths). So, in the absense of great beauty, thinnness, skin, hair, style, money, grooming and luck determine looks. Here is my rundown:

Letizia: The most interesting to look at. Certainly not classically pretty, but she has a delicacy (in part due to her thinness, I think) that is very compelling. She also has, despite her thinness, curves in the right places. There is something likeable about her face and expression, and she grows on me more with time.

Mary: Also interesting to look at, but in a less positive way. I'm not a big fan, but I think she has great legs and occasionally I like her clothes. Her face is odd; I find myself trying to figure out what is wrong there, although sometimes the camera catches her at the right angle and she looks really good. Her biggest flaw is her expression; even when she smiles she doesn't look truly happy. I can't figure it out.

Mathilde: She radiates serenity. She is lovely and I enjoy her pictures. But she is not as purely interesting to look at as some of the others.

Mette: I kind of admire her determination, but not her looks. She is very straight and flat; her hair is straight, she is tall and her clothes are tailored. Even the hair piece she wore recently instead of a hat was a flat bow on a band. She looks best when pregnant, probably because of the roundness. In general, I find her looks and choice of clothes kind of boring.

Maxima: She is all about the smile. How can you not like her? I don't think she is aging well (too much sun?) but she will just smile more and wear brighter colors and bigger hats. Good for her.

Camilla: There is something to be said for being truly happy. She may not be beautiful or even a little pretty, but she has self respect, a surprisingly good sense of style and a man that really, really loves her. So she glows.

What is great about each of these women is that they were chosen despite their average looks to be the wives of some of the most eligible bachelors of our time. So there's hope for all of us.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

[quote=Camarina;667620]

If I saw Mary walking by the street as a normal woman she would not get my attention, she is nice with make up and without make up she is completely normal.
quote]

That's true...
Old 09-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Royal Highness

I voted for Crown Princess Victoria. I think she is very pretty and when she smiles her whole face lights up.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Mary seems to have a lot of fans in this forum....
In my opiniion, she is pretty, or maybe she is beautiful, but I really can't stand her posing all the times.
She looks like she thinks to be the most beautiful woman and the only princess in the world.
None of the others princesses pose/posed like she does.
Not even Grace that was an actress.
To me this makes her less beautiful then most of the others princesses...
Anyways, it is only my opinion.....
To all the fans of Mary:please don't get mad!!!
Old 09-15-2007, 06:23 PM
Courtier

I'm not mad because whenever Mary steps out, like she did with the visit from the Brazilian President, her BEAUTY gets even for her "fans".
Old 09-15-2007, 07:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimene View Post
I'm not mad because whenever Mary steps out, like she did with the visit from the Brazilian President, her BEAUTY gets even for her "fans".
You know, we all have different tastes...
Anyways, I didn't write that she is ugly, but that I don't like her because she poses all the times..
Anyways, I like what you wrote:"her BEAUTY gets even for her "fans".
Sounds poetic.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
she poses all the times..
You're idea of posing must be entirely different to mine

Quote:
trying to figure out what is wrong there
Quite an untactful thing to say. You're trying to find what's "wrong" there, as if the Crown Princess has something "wrong", some abnormality with her appearance and quite clearly, she does not.

"Dressing is a way of life" - Monsieur Saint Laurent
Old 09-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
You're idea of posing must be entirely different to mine

Quite an untactful thing to say. You're trying to find what's "wrong" there, as if the Crown Princess has something "wrong", some abnormality with her apperance and quite clearly, she does not.

I think she is wright... it´s a weird thing to say, but i always though... she is a kind of pretty, but there is something in her face .... i don´t know, it doesn´t fit...

Sorry to say that but i think Mary is not a natural beauty
Old 09-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Perhaps with ´wrong´ not an abnormality is ment but just something that one doesn´t like about a persons appearance but that one can not place immediately.

That happens all the time to all of us, on the street, at work etc. We might have a dislike for people we see for the first time, based on...what? An expression, a way of holding ones head, lipt that are too thin, eyes that are to wide apart etc.. not exactly placable but you just feel there is just something ´wrong´ about the person.

Back to the topic, I said before that Paola was IMHO the prettiest, which I still think she was. But at the moment I think that Mette-Marit is the one with the most potential. It is a great pity that she doesn´t know how to show it all the time but if she gives it a try she can be absolutely stunning.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tan View Post
I think she is wright... it´s a weird thing to say, but i always though... she is a kind of pretty, but there is something in her face .... i don´t know, it doesn´t fit...

Sorry to say that but i think Mary is not a natural beauty
You think it's right to say something is "wrong" with anothers face just because it's unique, because it's their own?

We all have a different physical scructure so I can't see how there's something "wrong" with Mary's face.

And you're of course welcome to your opnion as are we all though my response was aimed at the conjecture that there is something "wrong" with Mary's appearance, which proceeds to insinuate that there is some sort of physical deformity.

Quote:
Perhaps with ´wrong´ not an abnormality is ment but just something that one doesn´t like about a persons appearance but that one can not place immediately.
If that is then the case, Marengo, then an alternative phrase should be considered because "wrong" is certainly not the appropriate word to be used.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

That depends if you are a native english speaker or not perhaps. In my own language the equivalent of wrong would be a normal thing to use in this particular case. I assume there are other language where the word wrong has a different ´sound´ than an abnormality.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quite true...

Though given royaltywatcher is from the US (not claiming I know the history of this person in any way as I certainly do not), the term "wrong", has the same definition and insinuation, in US, as it does the Australia. Hence my initial response.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
But at the moment I think that Mette-Marit is the one with the most potential. It is a great pity that she doesn´t know how to show it all the time but if she gives it a try she can be absolutely stunning.

Totally agree . She has a so much naturally beautiful face with a regular bone structure . A beautiful skin and typical looks . Mette-Marit has the potential to be the most beautiful indeed ...
Old 09-16-2007, 04:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madame Royale View Post
We all have a different physical scructure so I can't see how there's something "wrong" with Mary's face.

It's just my opinion of course, but I find Mary has a not so beautiful mouth that is too little and has too thin lips comparing to the rest of her face . That is a flaw to me and that is maybe the reason I find that her face looks sometimes pretentious and her smile very wry ...
Old 09-16-2007, 06:01 AM
Nobility

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's a very subjective thing. Of course, everyone has a face that's unique. But there is a standard of beauty most people would agree to. Why are people attacking others' opinions just because those posters don't think someone's beautiful but couldn't explain it?
By "wrong", the poster may mean Mary's face isn't pleasing to her/his eyes for some reasons but s/he couldn't put her/his finger on it. It doesn't need to mean deformity.

Personally, I wouldn't rate Mary as a beauty either. Her chin or the third part of her face - from the nose down - is too long proportionally. Her face is a bit too narrow from the classical beauty standard. Princess Grace was a classical beauty. Rania comes the closest as a classical beauty, with some help with the nose job. Letizia has the features and the bone structure that are more in line with the current beauty standard, evidence from the models in ads. MM's bone structure has a bit too many angles and is too strong.

May I nominate Leonor as the up-and-coming beauty? She'll take the world by storm in...oh, about 16 years.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

[quote=Madame Royale;667793]You're idea of posing must be entirely different to mine

I do hope we all have different ideas and different tastes.
Otherwise what a boring forum this would be!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltywatcher View Post
None of the current crown princesses are classically pretty women in the mold of a Princess Grace or a Queen Paola (in their respective youths). So, in the absense of great beauty, thinnness, skin, hair, style, money, grooming and luck determine looks. Here is my rundown:

Letizia: The most interesting to look at. Certainly not classically pretty, but she has a delicacy (in part due to her thinness, I think) that is very compelling. She also has, despite her thinness, curves in the right places. There is something likeable about her face and expression, and she grows on me more with time.

Mary: Also interesting to look at, but in a less positive way. I'm not a big fan, but I think she has great legs and occasionally I like her clothes. Her face is odd; I find myself trying to figure out what is wrong there, although sometimes the camera catches her at the right angle and she looks really good. Her biggest flaw is her expression; even when she smiles she doesn't look truly happy. I can't figure it out.

Mathilde: She radiates serenity. She is lovely and I enjoy her pictures. But she is not as purely interesting to look at as some of the others.

Mette: I kind of admire her determination, but not her looks. She is very straight and flat; her hair is straight, she is tall and her clothes are tailored. Even the hair piece she wore recently instead of a hat was a flat bow on a band. She looks best when pregnant, probably because of the roundness. In general, I find her looks and choice of clothes kind of boring.

Maxima: She is all about the smile. How can you not like her? I don't think she is aging well (too much sun?) but she will just smile more and wear brighter colors and bigger hats. Good for her.

Camilla: There is something to be said for being truly happy. She may not be beautiful or even a little pretty, but she has self respect, a surprisingly good sense of style and a man that really, really loves her. So she glows.

What is great about each of these women is that they were chosen despite their average looks to be the wives of some of the most eligible bachelors of our time. So there's hope for all of us.
Good post. I found myself nodding as I read your post. I agree with almost everything.

As for Mary's expression, I know what you meant. Mary's smile has too much self-consciousness rather than real radiance from within. Her body language is the same thing. It's like she's constantly *thinking* how she has to smile the right way and pose the right way for the camera. She's not smiling because she's happy to meet those people she's meeting or be where she is. That's not very attractive IMO. Do you agree?
Old 09-16-2007, 07:03 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
As for Mary's expression, I know what you meant. Mary's smile has too much self-consciousness rather than real radiance from within. Her body language is the same thing. It's like she's constantly *thinking* how she has to smile the right way and pose the right way for the camera. She's not smiling because she's happy to meet those people she's meeting or be where she is. That's not very attractive IMO. Do you agree?

I agree . Beauty comes from inside too . I would say it's 50-50 . Inside and outside .
Old 09-16-2007, 08:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpriestess View Post
Good post. I found myself nodding as I read your post. I agree with almost everything.

I do agree with you highpriestess!!!
That is exactly what I meant when I said she poses all the times.
I was just wondering if this is dued to her great self confidence or to her lack of self confidence.
What would you feel like if you were a girl coming from working class and you were told to behave like a European royal princess?