The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Chit Chat

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 PM
Courtier

Beside the British Royal Family who would be the most Famous Royal Family in Europe?

Obivously the British Royal Family is the most Famous European Royal Family in Europe but beside the BRF who would be the most well known/Famous European Royal family in The World? I know the Spanish Royal Family is pretty famous and well known (atleast in the U.S).

Old 07-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Nobility

in the Us? none. if it does not involve the name Diana it is irrelevant to royal discussion. Though on I guess what was slow news day a gossip mag had a story proclaiming princess Mary of Denmark 'trouble' and a 'bad influence' on Kate. Explain that one to me, LOL

Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Well when Grace Kelly was alive and during the 80s and 90s Monaco was often in the American tabloids. The last time I remember seeing news on the Grimaldi's besides the moderate coverage on the wedding, was when Albert's son was born.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
in the Us? none. if it does not involve the name Diana it is irrelevant to royal discussion. Though on I guess what was slow news day a gossip mag had a story proclaiming princess Mary of Denmark 'trouble' and a 'bad influence' on Kate. Explain that one to me, LOL
I said in the world. I said the Spanish royal family is well known or at least in the U.S anyway, there was interest in the British Royals among tabloids, TV and Newspapers long before Diana even came to the scene!

American Newspapers were writing about King Edward VIII relationship with Wallis Simpson before the British Media pick up on it or broke the story
Old 07-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Nobility

maybe in some parts but I have never read or heard anything about the Spanish royals at all. yes, there was interest but now everything is BD or AD-before Diana or after Diana :)

As for the world-probably JUST the Brits, honestly.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Majesty

I would say the Spanish because of the interest in Latin America - just because the USA doesn't cover them doesn't mean they don't get coverage elsewhere in the Americas. As for Australia after the Brits it would obviously be the Danes - simply because of Mary - but before Mary I suspect that many Aussies didn't even know the Danes had a royal family.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

In the US, sometimes I see coverage of Spain, Sweden and Denmark- I expect it's because Letizia, Victoria, Madeleine and Mary are all conventionally attractive, and therefore fun to cover in the style section of some magazines.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:03 AM
Royal Highness

I think the Imperial Royal Family of Japan ought to be pretty well known around the world, alongside the Spanish Royal Family and the Dutch.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:08 AM
Courtier

Well, in countries which are a monarchy the own royal family is most well known (not necessarily the british rf....)
Apart from those i think Queen Elisabeth II would be recognized by several people, people might name "Monaco" as well-known monarchy (even though they won't necessarily know the current monarch) and that would be about it...

Other than that the best-known king would be from Games of Thrones or the Lion King...
Old 07-24-2013, 05:53 AM
Nobility

In Belgium, besides our royals, only the British and the Dutch royals are well-known...

Queen Mathilde
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post
As for Australia after the Brits it would obviously be the Danes - simply because of Mary - but before Mary I suspect that many Aussies didn't even know the Danes had a royal family.
I would agree and even the Danish family is getting far less coverage since Kate joined the British Royal Family.

The Brits have had the wedding and now the birth whereas the Danes are a good 5 years further ahead - babies make for cuter magazine pictures in the eyes of magazine editors than 6 or 7 year olds sadly.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Commoner

The dutch royla family is well known , if i would say willem-alexander or amalia over here it would directly be a subject of discussion , but if i say Mary or Mette-Marit people just go" eh what?"
The swedes are quite famous too
Old 09-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Serene Highness

In Brazil, the British Royal Family is the most famous (some people know more about them than about our own Imperial Family).

Besides the British Royal Family, I think the most famous are the Spanish Royal Family and Monegasque Princely Family, the other are virtually unknown.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:01 PM
Serene Highness

The Grimaldi

The Spanish royal family
Old 09-11-2013, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

Living in the Los Angeles area there was televised coverage of Felipe and Letizia's wedding in 2004. However, I'd say that the Grimaldi's are the only other royals that seem to receive press coverage here in the U.S.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:38 PM

Really the British Royal family is the only one that gets any mention in the US press. As others have mentioned, Monaco used to get press because of Princess Grace... And the Spanish Royals after Franco died that diminished over time. But other than that.... Nothing really unless someone does something stupid. Other than the British Royals the rest could walk the streets and no one would recognize them.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:52 PM
Nobility

the swedish royal family is quite famous in finland germany brazil, and here in malta we get a lot of news about them
Old 09-11-2013, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
the swedish royal family is quite famous in finland germany brazil, and here in malta we get a lot of news about them
True. Many people here in Brazil knows about Queen Silvia. We call her the "Brazilian Queen".
Old 09-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Probably depends on where you live but after the Windsors I would say the Grimaldis are the most famous.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Serene Highness

The Lux wedding did attract some American publicity, probably because it was so beautiful and had most royal families of Europe sending either their CP couples or even the reigning royals like Queen Beatrice. Huffpo featured a lot of coverage and it was at least shown briefly on the news channel I watch. As for me, it was the only royal wedding I ever stayed up all night to attend, via internet.