Most Famous Royal Family In Europe (Excluding British)?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BritishRoyalist

Courtier
City
Somewhere
Country
United States
Obivously the British Royal Family is the most Famous European Royal Family in Europe but beside the BRF who would be the most well known/Famous European Royal family in The World? I know the Spanish Royal Family is pretty famous and well known (atleast in the U.S).

in the Us? none. if it does not involve the name Diana it is irrelevant to royal discussion. Though on I guess what was slow news day a gossip mag had a story proclaiming princess Mary of Denmark 'trouble' and a 'bad influence' on Kate. Explain that one to me, LOL

Well when Grace Kelly was alive and during the 80s and 90s Monaco was often in the American tabloids. The last time I remember seeing news on the Grimaldi's besides the moderate coverage on the wedding, was when Albert's son was born.

in the Us? none. if it does not involve the name Diana it is irrelevant to royal discussion. Though on I guess what was slow news day a gossip mag had a story proclaiming princess Mary of Denmark 'trouble' and a 'bad influence' on Kate. Explain that one to me, LOL

I said in the world. I said the Spanish royal family is well known or at least in the U.S anyway, there was interest in the British Royals among tabloids, TV and Newspapers long before Diana even came to the scene!

American Newspapers were writing about King Edward VIII relationship with Wallis Simpson before the British Media pick up on it or broke the story

Last edited:
maybe in some parts but I have never read or heard anything about the Spanish royals at all. yes, there was interest but now everything is BD or AD-before Diana or after Diana :)

As for the world-probably JUST the Brits, honestly.

Last edited:
I would say the Spanish because of the interest in Latin America - just because the USA doesn't cover them doesn't mean they don't get coverage elsewhere in the Americas. As for Australia after the Brits it would obviously be the Danes - simply because of Mary - but before Mary I suspect that many Aussies didn't even know the Danes had a royal family.

In the US, sometimes I see coverage of Spain, Sweden and Denmark- I expect it's because Letizia, Victoria, Madeleine and Mary are all conventionally attractive, and therefore fun to cover in the style section of some magazines.

I think the Imperial Royal Family of Japan ought to be pretty well known around the world, alongside the Spanish Royal Family and the Dutch.

Well, in countries which are a monarchy the own royal family is most well known (not necessarily the british rf....)
Apart from those i think Queen Elisabeth II would be recognized by several people, people might name "Monaco" as well-known monarchy (even though they won't necessarily know the current monarch) and that would be about it...

Other than that the best-known king would be from Games of Thrones or the Lion King...

Last edited:
In Belgium, besides our royals, only the British and the Dutch royals are well-known...

As for Australia after the Brits it would obviously be the Danes - simply because of Mary - but before Mary I suspect that many Aussies didn't even know the Danes had a royal family.

I would agree and even the Danish family is getting far less coverage since Kate joined the British Royal Family.

The Brits have had the wedding and now the birth whereas the Danes are a good 5 years further ahead - babies make for cuter magazine pictures in the eyes of magazine editors than 6 or 7 year olds sadly.

The dutch royla family is well known , if i would say willem-alexander or amalia over here it would directly be a subject of discussion , but if i say Mary or Mette-Marit people just go" eh what?"
The swedes are quite famous too

In Brazil, the British Royal Family is the most famous (some people know more about them than about our own Imperial Family).

Besides the British Royal Family, I think the most famous are the Spanish Royal Family and Monegasque Princely Family, the other are virtually unknown.

Living in the Los Angeles area there was televised coverage of Felipe and Letizia's wedding in 2004. However, I'd say that the Grimaldi's are the only other royals that seem to receive press coverage here in the U.S.

Really the British Royal family is the only one that gets any mention in the US press. As others have mentioned, Monaco used to get press because of Princess Grace... And the Spanish Royals after Franco died that diminished over time. But other than that.... Nothing really unless someone does something stupid. Other than the British Royals the rest could walk the streets and no one would recognize them.

the swedish royal family is quite famous in finland germany brazil, and here in malta we get a lot of news about them

the swedish royal family is quite famous in finland germany brazil, and here in malta we get a lot of news about them

True. Many people here in Brazil knows about Queen Silvia. We call her the "Brazilian Queen".

Probably depends on where you live but after the Windsors I would say the Grimaldis are the most famous.

The Lux wedding did attract some American publicity, probably because it was so beautiful and had most royal families of Europe sending either their CP couples or even the reigning royals like Queen Beatrice. Huffpo featured a lot of coverage and it was at least shown briefly on the news channel I watch. As for me, it was the only royal wedding I ever stayed up all night to attend, via internet.

Well when Grace Kelly was alive and during the 80s and 90s Monaco was often in the American tabloids. The last time I remember seeing news on the Grimaldi's besides the moderate coverage on the wedding, was when Albert's son was born.

Yes when Princess Grace was alive she was frequently giving interviews to American women's magazines. The tabloids always had gossip about the Grimaldi's of Monaco. That ended about a year after her death. Now the press ignores Monaco.

Very few magazines in the US carry stores about the Griamaldis. Most of the news reporters of Grace and Rainier's age are old or deceased. Those reporters liked to write about Monaco. Now the current generation of news reporters don't really have any kind of a connection or interest in Monaco or the Grimaldi family.

My guess is that the Royal family of Spain gets the most attention after the British Royal Family.

Up until a few years ago I was unaware Spain even had a royal family. But then, I didn't pay much attention to any of the royals and the only ones I knew about were the British and (up to a point) Monaco. Maybe Japan, but only that they had a royal family, not that I could name any of them.

As much as some appear to deeply dislike the British royals, they do tend to make people aware that there are other royal houses out there and they aren't the only ones that exist. In all the runup to William and Catherine's wedding, I got interested in who was invited and where they were from and then got dazzled by all the pictures of the shiny, shiny jewelry. :) Then I wanted to know who owned that and where it was from, and it all grew from there.

Next to the Windsors, the Grimaldis. Everyone I know is aware of Grace Kelly, the gorgeous American movie star who left Hollywood to marry a Prince.

Even if they no longer have the fairydust glamour that they did when Rainier and Grace were alive they still make the news mostly because of Caroline's beautiful children.

It's also why there are still movies made about Grace and Monaco to this day.

It would depend where you live, the Aussies may be interested in the Danish RFs while in Argentina they may favor the Dutch because of Max. In the US, the Karshadians get more coverage than all of other non British royals. Older Americans can probably recognize Albert, Caroline and Stephanie of Monaco due to the Grace Kelly link. Queen Noor of Jordan could also get recognized by the older folks.

Tough question.

• In terms of personal wealth and "celebrity" status, I'd say the princely family of Monaco, even though Monaco itself is not an important country.
  • In terms of history and "gravitas", I would say the royal families of Spain and the Netherlands, for being old dynasties ruling important countries which were once major imperial/colonial powers.
Overall, based on criteria of historical importance and past geopolitical influence, my list would be (*):

1. The British Royal Family
  2. The Spanish Royal Family
  3. The Dutch Royal Family
  4. The Swedish Royal Family
  5. The Danish Royal Family (old, but not that prestigious)
  6. The Belgian Royal Family
  7. The Norwegian Royal Family
  8. The Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg
and, then, down the list, the princely families of Monaco and Liechtenstein.

In the current "pomp and ceremony" department (state events, jewellery and regalia, residences, etc.) the list would probably change to (excluding the principalities and the grand duchy)

1. The British Royal Family
  2. The Dutch Royal Family
  3. The Swedish and Danish Royal Families (more or less on similar levels; I couldn't say who would come first)
  4. The Belgian, Spanish and Norwegian Royal Families (more "low-key" than the first three groups above)
The lines can be blurred sometimes though.

(*) Note: I am not considering former royal families, e.g. of France, Austria or Russia, which of course would historically be way up on the list.

Last edited:
Just based on my own experiences (here in the US) I think more people have heard of the Grimaldis - at the very least, Princess Grace, though I've heard more than one person refer to her as a princess of Morocco. :rolleyes: If you count former ruling families, a lot of people know about the Russian and French families.

To be honest, I don't think any others (except the British) are well-known in the USA.

There's a bit of residual interest in Grace Kelly's children, but it doesn't seem to carry over to her grandchildren; I doubt if one American in fifty would recognize any of the Casiraghi offspring, and forget about Stephanie's children.

The next family royal family would be the Royal Family of Monaco as I heard about them a lot growing up. My mom liked Grace Kelly and would often talk about her marriage to the Prince. The Swedish Royal Family would be another.

This sounds very bizarre being the royal lover I am but I didn't know that the Spanish Royal Family had been reinstated on the throne in 1975 until I took a Winter Term Class in college about Spanish History.

I probably would only recognize in the Royal Family of Monaco the children of Princess Grace. I wouldn't recognize the children of Princess Stephanie or Princess Caroline.

As an interesting aside the only reigning monarch in Latin America is Queen Elizabeth II of Belize. Since she is also Queen of Canada and several Carribean countries it is no wonder the House of Windsor is the best known.

Here in Portugal is the Spanish Royal Family, the British and the Monegasque Princely Family. Every week or so there is always something about them in the magazines.

Back
Top Bottom