The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I like Margaret and I think she had a point in saying Diana and Sarah weren't fit to be in the royal family. Neither woman seemed to be able to behave themselves. But I do think Margaret was a difficult person I just don't know if she was any worse than her other family members. I was watching a documentary on Margaret and I felt sorry for her because she wasn't allowed to be educated like she wanted and as a result she kind of became rootless in life.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-24-2011, 06:02 PM
Nobility

Well, that hardly excuse bad behavior/temper. I think that Margaret perhaps envied the two younger princesses for doing excately what she herself wanted to do, but couldn't.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Margaret, may God rest her, never let anyone forget that SHE was a princess royal born. Anyone (including Diana and Sarah) who had any thoughts about her curtseying to ANYONE was crazy.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:49 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchessmary
Princess Margaret, may God rest her, never let anyone forget that SHE was a princess royal born. Anyone (including Diana and Sarah) who had any thoughts about her curtseying to ANYONE was crazy.

As snobby as it was, I cannot blame HRH the late Princess Margaret for feeling the way she did, or supposedly did. I have read also that HRH Princess Anne feels supposedly feels pretty much the same way.
Again, snobby, but IMO, as royal-born titled princesses, appropriate. These two were raised in a past environment conducive to invoke feelings of superiority toward commoners. HRH the Princess Margaret, Lady Snowden, and HRH the Princess Royal, Princess Anne, grew up in eras that simply not exist any more.
I do hope HRH the late Princess Margaret (of GB?) (of York?) and the late Diana, Princess of Wales, rest eternally in peace!
Old 06-25-2011, 02:44 AM
Aristocracy

I don't blame Margaret or Anne either. They are the type of Princess who is not dependent on Marraige for her princely title, and could be Queen in her own right To us Commoners, this is no excuse for not wanting to curtsey, but to a Princess, who is constantly bowed and curtseyed to (not to mention adressed as "Your Royal Highness" and "Ma'am"), it's a perfectly reasonable excuse not to curtsey.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:13 AM
Courtier

Anne can be rude and aloof but it seems it is usually at the press but she doesn't suffer fools and has no problems letting people know when she isn't happy about something. I also don't think soft and fuzzy is part of her personality she seems much more no nonsense type. Princess Margaret made sure that everyone knew she was royal no matter how close a friend you became she never let you forget it. According to Lord Snowdon's biography she did have a temper and I don't doubt it. She knew how to behave in public and could be witty and charming...when it suited her to be. Sarah Duchess of York certainly has a temper. I remember watching 60 minutes of Australia years ago and they did a story on Sarah and Andrew. In it Sarah really tells of Andrew in front of the press it was horrible to see he just pretty much let her go. It was not a nice thing to see I remember it to this day. Princess Michael of Kent isn't liked by any member of the BRF. I have heard stories about her from just about everyone. She seems to think she is more Royal and she gets up their noses. Lord Linley really dislikes her as do most of the others by just about all reports! I'm sure I read there was a huge row between her and him years ago. Princess are people so of course they would have tempers at varying times but maybe not about the things we might!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:38 AM
Commoner

Hi Everyone,

Being British and to the best of my knowledge, theres no way that Diana & P Charles had an arranged marriage. I've personally met Queen Rania and she has the warmest and kindest personality I've ever met, also like to point out she cares about people (especially children) far more than fashion.

Princess Anne, I met her in 1992 when the royal family was going through the worst when she was opening a gala, let me tell you she was so funny and very warm and kind. One of the tables collapsed that had things flying all over the place and Princess Anne was the first to start picking everything up and re-assuring the organisers that it was fine. P Anne gets a lot of bad press which is completely unfair, most of her work is never covered in the press, she is the hardest working royal and having met her and was listening to her for over an hour, it's really unfair that people slate her personality. I've met her and can tell you she's really funny and so thoughtful of everyone around her.

For the royals who give the press a hard time, trust me the press deserve it, the British press are a complete disgrace, they drive like loonatics, assualt kids (I mean physically push then over and shove them around and hit them), and treat people horrendously. Don't forget the press have murdered 1 princess already, so I don't blame the princesses for being rude to the press, infact good on them.
Old 06-25-2011, 07:38 AM
Royal Highness

I used to be a great fan of Princess Margaret, especially during the Townsend affair.
So, it was hard for me when I started reading about her temper and snobbishness. If she didn´t aprove of Diana or Sarah, that was her problem. But she had no reason to think of them as unfit for their roles, not with her own goings on in the Island of Moustique .As she aged she seemed to grow bitter on life, but other people like Diana and Sarah, for instance weren´t to blame if she never got to marry her great love.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I think the reason why she was a snob(and other snobs as well)was so that she could feel better about herself.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by olebabs View Post
Well, that hardly excuse bad behavior/temper. I think that Margaret perhaps envied the two younger princesses for doing excately what she herself wanted to do, but couldn't.
I highly doubt Margaret wanted to be photographed having her toes sucked by a man who wasn't her husband or causing controversy for her youngest son by admitting to having an affair with a man who looks like him.
Margaret's snobbishness towards some people is wrong, but the way Diana and Sarah handled themselves proves that whoever felt they were not suited for the job was right. Sarah especially seemed to want all the fun and not listen to anyone about the responsibilities.
As to Margaret and Anne being snobby about being "born royal", well England you choose to maintain that archaic system (not royalty, but the idea that people are born better than others) so why get mad when people buy into it.
I don't know much about Anne*Margaret when it came to their divorces and other men, but perhaps they handled themselves better than Diana and Sarah.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Royal Highness

Ravine, thank you for sharing your experience with Princess Anne. She is a no nonsense woman, but has a keen sense of humor. She's always a dedicated and tireless part of the Firm, of which she receives very little attention from the press.
Princess Margaret is very interesting, she could be a snob, but I think it covered the fact that she was stuck in a life with few options for her. Since she was not born a male, she couldn't join the military, as Harry has and made a life of it, she couldn't go to University to study art or music, in her world at the time of the Fiftie's she was expected to marry and have a family plus carry out the required Royal duties. Preferably to marry an aristocrat. I think Margaret loved Tony Snowdon at first, but her marrying him was a rather act of rebellion against her Mother and sister and I believe Peter Townsend was the same.
When the reality of marriage and parenthood set in, she became very bored and sought out the world of the jet set and celebrity and it became worse, she began to drink more and more. (my opinion Only, not fact).
Margaret was an insecure woman and becoming snobbish about being Royal was a security and a way to make her feel worthy. (I believe.)
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Darwin
I don't blame Margaret or Anne either. They are the type of Princess who is not dependent on Marraige for her princely title, and could be Queen in her own right To us Commoners, this is no excuse for not wanting to curtsey, but to a Princess, who is constantly bowed and curtseyed to (not to mention adressed as "Your Royal Highness" and "Ma'am"), it's a perfectly reasonable excuse not to curtsey.

Can you explain your sentence: 'To us commoners, there is no reason not wanting to curtsey...?'
Old 06-26-2011, 02:05 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotHRH View Post
Can you explain your sentence: 'To us commoners, there is no reason not wanting to curtsey...?'
What I mean is that to us Commoners, refusing to curtsey to a Princess on the basis that she is not Royal by birth is snooty. I can't put it any less confusingly than that.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:30 AM
Heir Apparent

Katrianna,I think your statement is true.Royalty,past,present and,future are all equal to everybody.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:11 PM
Aristocracy

i get a feeling Princess Anne is bad tempered.... but born royal, im sure she has mastered the art of behaving differently in public...
Old 06-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Commoner

Hi Katrianna (fab name),
I just felt I had to stick up for P Anne, I think she's very similar to her father P Phillip, he doesn't take any nonsense from anyone and has a brilliant sense of humour (I really wanted to hear what he said to P Harry on the balcony and Will & Kate's wedding, it just looked naughty). Unforutnately the press don't cover hard work, just fashion and gossip (of which they make up most of the time). I completely agree with what you said.
I don't really know anything about the late P Margarets personality, but even if she was a bit short with people, they were very diffirent times (that sounds so old fashioned DOH!), and she had to give up the one man she really loved, if I had to give up my man I'd become very resentful, especially if people kept giving me their opinions about it all the time, infact I'd probably knock them out LOL. But I guess we'll never get to know the real truth, which is a shame for nosey people like us lot but now she's no longer here maybe we should let her rest in peace.

Open question for everyone, I've seen a few comments about P Letizia, does anyone know of any actual events where she's been bad tempered, coz although I don't know a lot about her, she comes across to me as a confident and together lady, the only time I saw any diffirent was her sadness at her sister's funeral, which ofcourse was completely understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrianna View Post
Ravine, thank you for sharing your experience with Princess Anne. She is a no nonsense woman, but has a keen sense of humor. She's always a dedicated and tireless part of the Firm, of which she receives very little attention from the press.
Princess Margaret is very interesting, she could be a snob, but I think it covered the fact that she was stuck in a life with few options for her. Since she was not born a male, she couldn't join the military, as Harry has and made a life of it, she couldn't go to University to study art or music, in her world at the time of the Fiftie's she was expected to marry and have a family plus carry out the required Royal duties. Preferably to marry an aristocrat. I think Margaret loved Tony Snowdon at first, but her marrying him was a rather act of rebellion against her Mother and sister and I believe Peter Townsend was the same.
When the reality of marriage and parenthood set in, she became very bored and sought out the world of the jet set and celebrity and it became worse, she began to drink more and more. (my opinion Only, not fact).
Margaret was an insecure woman and becoming snobbish about being Royal was a security and a way to make her feel worthy. (I believe.)
Old 06-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Royal Highness

I haven't read anything about Princess Letizia being bad tempered or difficult although someone else here may have. I'm sure if she had, we would have read about it from Jaime Penafiel (I may have misspelled the name) as he has no love for Letizia.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:31 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Letizia is very careful of her royal behaviour, the time that she interrupted Prince Felipe at the engagement interview and was so criticized must have shocked her terribly, she disappeared from the public eye for a time after that and when she came back she had had obviously a Princess Crash Course and in public is very careful now.
As to the Princess Anne and the Princess Margaret they were born royal and no- one that has not been born royal could possible understand their behaviour.
As to curtseying to royalty I don't expect anyone from America to understand this it is not your custom, you have no royalty. You seem to give exaggerated homage to whoever is occupying the White House, but that is your custom so no one should criticize another country's way of giving showing respect. As to the statement that any commoner is equal to a royal? As far as being a human being of course, but by accident of birth they have respect and loyalty given to them from the moment they were born and as long as the monarchy exists in GB this is going to continue.
The princesses not born royal have a much harder time, as they have had to learn how to be royal, it has not come naturally from birth as it did to Princess Margaret and Princess Anne.
Any bad temper can be blamed on their human side, their impeccable royal behaviour has been obtained from birth.
I remember an interview when Queen Sophia was asked if she considered herself a professional Queen (or words to that effect) and she answered "I was a Queen in my mother's womb".
Old 06-27-2011, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've never read anything about Letizia but her aunt in law The Infanta Pilar of Spain looks rather formidable
Old 06-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Aristocracy

I've met Infanta Pilar when she lived here many times, and she is very nice but not one to suffer fools gladly.