The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-19-2005, 09:10 PM
Gentry

Personality, education, wealth, and other individual characteristics also are important mate selection criteria in many societies. In fact, they may be far more important than physical beauty. The parents of young contemporary women seeking a husband in Indian urban areas commonly place an add in newspapers. These adds prominently mention the potential bride's college degrees, caste, and implied potential for paying a large dowry.

However, television, cinema, and other largely Western dominated mass media have been responsible for spreading the notion of romantic love around the world. In previously more isolated nations, such as Nepal, the increasing stress on romantic love has been disruptive of traditional marriage practices. The Western version of romantic love fosters the desire for exclusive emotional attachments which undermines marriages to more than one spouse at the same time.

Arranged marriages have been very common throughout the world. This is due to two principal considerations. First, a marriage unites two families, not just two people. All of a family's members become obligated by the marriage of one of its members. In addition, marriages can be valuable tools in creating alliances and, therefore, must be considered carefully and even negotiated. Secondly, mate selection is seen as being too important a decision to be left up to inexperienced young people, especially if they have had little contact with members of the opposite gender. Parents are presumed to have the experience needed to help their children find a mate who is appropriate for them.

In some countries, the legal system encourages arranged marriages. In Pakistan, for instance, the law prohibits women from marrying without parental consent. This is based on Islamic teachings in the Koran that require fathers to protect their daughters. This obligation has been interpreted as advocating arranged marriages. Specifically, it is seen as a father's duty to find suitable husbands for his daughters, however, he should not force them into unwanted marriages.

It is common for people today in the Western World to strongly reject the idea of arranged marriages and to consider them to be barbaric infringements on the "universal human rights" of young adults and especially of women. However, it is useful to suspend our own ethnocentric views on this matter in order to understand why arranged marriages continue to be popular in some societies. In addition to being integral parts of their cultural traditions, arranged marriages are usually seen as being better for the young people getting married and for the community in general because they are thought to result in lasting marriages, and they bring families together. In contrast, basing marriage selection on romantic love alone is often a socially isolating process. The intense romantic focus on one other individual can separate us from our families and friends. It is common for newly married couples in the Western World to set up their own independent household which may be hundreds or even thousands of miles away from family members. This life apart is an appalling prospect for people in traditional societies that practice arranged marriages. It is also an ethnocentric projection to see arranged marriages as being inevitably loveless. In societies that have them, married couples often become loving life-partners. Their marriages set them on a path of discovery to love. In the West, marriage is usually at the end of this path, but the destination is the same.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Gentry

PS: I'm in favour of love marriage but I'm not entirely sure that when you are in a position of power, such as a Prince is, you can just go ahead with marrying anyone, it comes with the territory and the burden of reigning.

Old 04-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by karima
Personality, education, wealth, and other individual characteristics also are important mate selection criteria in many societies. In fact, they may be far more important than physical beauty. The parents of young contemporary women seeking a husband in Indian urban areas commonly place an add in newspapers. These adds prominently mention the potential bride's college degrees, caste, and implied potential for paying a large dowry.

Could you please provide a source for this information? So that members can read more about this if they are interested or if they want to decide for themselves if the source is credible or not?

Thank you.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Gentry

anthro.palomar.edu/marriage/marriage_1.htm
Old 04-19-2005, 09:53 PM
Aristocracy

getting married to someone you don't love sounds awful
Old 04-19-2005, 10:00 PM
Gentry

Many people in India, the middle east, Japan,....expect family to arrange their marriage. I would not have wanted that for me, however, that's the way it is for many people and they are far less divorces amongst those population that in the West.
Old 04-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by karima
Because Stephanie is not a Crown Princess and future queen!
Point taken. But, Stephanie's behavior is still not what I would call the norm for one born royal nor Caroline's for that matter.

As far as being Crown Princess of Norway, goes I wonder if anyone here ever realizes that many of our discussions are almost pointless? We really just keep saying the same thing over and over again. Mette-Marit is still Crown Princess of Norway and unless she and Haakon divorce, that is not likely to change. How about we try giving some of the Crown Princesses and even Princesses a break and making a few comments on what they are doing in their roles and how they have adjusted? We keep commenting on these past lives, but these are not the lives that they are living at present.

Or is it that something positive will only be said about these women if their marriages fail? I could only imagine the long thread of "I told you she wasn't fit to be Queen" and so on, or "good ridance!"

Many people here talk about Mary, MM, Letizia and others and how they are unsuitable wives for the Princes and are unsuitable Princesses based on the bad PR or reputation they may give to the RF's. Some sound if as they will only find them suitable when they are gone and wouldn't mind seeing their marriages and thus their affiliations and roles in these families end. However, I must ask if this were to happen do you believe that this would be great PR for the families as well? Considering your great concern for these families, I would think that you would be more supportive and hope and pray that all works out extremely well, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I for one was never a big fan of Mary Donaldson when she and Fred were dating, neither was I of Mette-Marit at first. I can also say that I wondered how Letizia would be regarded when hearing of her previous marriage, but I have moved on because they are now Crown Princesses and what is done is done.

I can honestly say that I wish them the best. Just looking at the numerous threads about them here and the rest of the forum containing countless sopinions about their clothes, hair, skin, their characters and really everything that they say and do makes me realize that their lives are really not easy. They certainly sign up for it and accept all that comes with it, but regardless of how I may feel about some of the things that they have done, I give them great respect for hanging in there from day to day. Sure, they get lots of perks, but not without a hefty price. I couldn't live in a "fish bowl," constanly only display for the world to watch and critique.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Royal Highness

Martha-Louise got in trouble for giving someone the finger? Wow, I didn't know that! Does anybody have any more information?
Old 06-03-2007, 06:18 PM
Courtier

Intersting discussion indeed; but it'a not logical to judge royal personality or temper based on the pics we see; smiling to cameras,or roumers we hear, they are extra careful, they know they're being watched, we only see the gentle side of them, you have to actually live with them to know their true faces!
But it's fun to guess
Old 06-03-2007, 07:01 PM
Heir Apparent

El Semanal Digital

This article talks about the behavior of the three children of the Kings of Spain with the press

In a part of that article, it says that Elena hates the press (not my opinion, just stating what it's been said there) and mistreated photographers a lot, even screaming "leave me alone" at them

I've always heard that Elena has quite the temper, unlike Cristina and Felipe who are way more calm
Old 06-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Royal Highness

I've heard about the Mette-Marit airplane thing. Not a very pleasant moment for her or Haakon, but she couldn't help it, having phobias aren't fun! Trust someone with alektoraphobia (fear of chickens- pretty stupid, but yeah) instances where you have to face the fear can be extremely scary.

I never heard about her slapping or waving her finger at the maid. What was that all about?

And I still don't get the Martha-Louise finger and English press incident.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by karima View Post
Anyone knows of their private charaters
HRH Princess Anne of Britain.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Nobility

does some one know what about CP Letizia???
Old 07-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Commoner

Quote:
I've heard about the Mette-Marit airplane thing. Not a very pleasant moment for her or Haakon, but she couldn't help it, having phobias aren't fun! Trust someone with alektoraphobia (fear of chickens- pretty stupid, but yeah) instances where you have to face the fear can be extremely scary.

I never heard about her slapping or waving her finger at the maid. What was that all about?

And I still don't get the Martha-Louise finger and English press incident.
This is the first I've heard about M-M losing it w/ the assistant and on the airplane. I am assuming that was quite a while ago because she seems to carry herself quite well in public now.

Martha Louise seems to garner a lot of bad press for some reason. I haven't heard about her giving the finger but I have read several stories on Aftenposten (sp) about her that are less than flattering. I have read that she lived in England for a while, I believe it was in the 80's or early 90's.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:41 AM
Nobility

Charlotte Casiraghi 2002: charlotte_skiing_holiday_2002_in_zurs_51
Charlotte Casiraghi 2002: charlotte_skiing_holiday_2002_in_zurs_49
Charlotte during ski holidays in 2002.It's obvious that she was mad at the paparazzi.Sometimes i wonder if they react like that because they see the same paparazzis all the time.from eternalmuse.co.uk
Old 07-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Gentry

Quote:
I've heard about the Mette-Marit airplane thing. Not a very pleasant moment for her or Haakon, but she couldn't help it, having phobias aren't fun!
I have a hard time believing the whole phobia thing, considering she went on plenty of vacations via plane prior to this incident without any problems. Trouble seemed to only arise when trips were work-related. Makes me wonder if her "phobia" was not really about work. I don't think she slapped her husband, he put his hand on her shoulder or arm and she rather briskly shook it off.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:40 PM
Aristocracy

I have read about Mette-Marit bad tempered. I have not heard Maria Chantal bad tempered, but She doesn´t belong to reigning house.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

I've read Prince Rainier was a very bad tempered person with his employees.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:20 PM
Gentry

The whole M-M thing on the airplane is just a question of psychology. When you are put in a situation where you have to face your worst fears uncontrollable feelings come to live, subconcsiously. Some cry and some get angry. I don´t know her temper behind closed doors but I think there was a reason for the way she acted back then.

I know he´s not a princess (although he´s not quite content with his title as prince either ) but I could imagine Prince Henrik having a bad temper and being very strict as it is known from Frederik´s and Joachim´s memories as children
Old 07-10-2007, 04:39 PM
Serene Highness

I always have my thoughts on Queen Sofia's temper. I don't see her as naturally bad tempered person (anything but IMO). Though I do imagine her as one of those 'don't mess with me or you'll regret it' women!

Do we know of any bad tempered Kings or Queens?