Are You A Royalist?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cory

Heir Apparent
City
Kingdom
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
When we speak about ourselves maybe it is rather interesting to see the reasons we are on this Royal forums.Are we royalists?Are we just interested in royal news?
I am royalist and I believe monarchy can be restored in many countries even today.
What about you?

Like i've just written
A royalist supports a particular monarch as head of state for a particular kingdom, or of a particular dynastic claim.

I am a fan of particular royal houses, but i'm not a royalist.

A real royalist support the restoration to the Throne of all the non-reigning Royal families in the world.That's my opinion.

I enjoy reading the royal news and interested in particular royal houses as well,but I am not a very supportive of any restoration,though I would be rather glad to see monarchy restorations happen in our republic era.I could have my idea on who would be the appropriate pretender to any throne,but it's rather private view.

Today in history and very enjoyable to follow the Royal family. Especially interested members of the Royal Family and there.

A real royalist support the restoration to the Throne of all the non-reigning Royal families in the world.That's my opinion.

That's your definition, but it's not the correct one.
Royalists have allegiances to one royal family, why support something that's never going to happen?

I live in America so I don't really have an opinion in it.I am just interested in royals.

Monarchist vs Royalist

I mentioned this in a different thread but it perhaps fits better here:

There are also monarchists who believe in monarchy as the best form of government regardless of the current monarch -- that would include me (though I probably count as a royalist too in regards to the Danish Royal Family). I could perhaps explain my reasons for being such but that might turn into a political topic so...

i intrested in royals , i dont suport certan royal family , but i love & intrested some royal familys .
this good ? :flowers:

I'm strictly a constitutional monarchist. I support monarchies in democratic countries.:flowers:

That's why the Middle Eastern monarchies don't really interest me; same with Monaco. I'm more interested in the European monarchies, particularly the BRF; for some reason, I find the Scandinavian monarchies interesting as well.

:previous: I'm exactly the same :)

That's why the Middle Eastern monarchies don't really interest me; same with Monaco. I'm more interested in the European monarchies, particularly the BRF; for some reason, I find the Scandinavian monarchies interesting as well.

I think the Scandinavian monarchies and the Netherlands showcase the best democracies in the world and yet to some people they are attached to an archaic institution, while there are certainly many republics that mirror the Middle Eastern countries more than people would hope. (No more on this, I promise! :lol: )
I think boards like this prove why the European monarchies plus the United Kingdom will survive and not succumb to republics. Look at the interest and participation in the "reigning" threads and the "non-reigning" threads, quite a difference isn't there? Tourism is proven to be more in monarchies (or historical monarchies like the pre-unification Italian states) than other States.

I am strongly monarchist and I hope one day Monarchy will return to Russia,Georgia,Romania,Greece,Serbia,Montenegro,Albania,Turkey,Austria,Germany,France,Italy,Portugal...to speak only about Europe.

Hmmm well we in America got rid of the king some time ago.

That said I find monarchies very interesting because it's history ...so much of what they did is why the world is what it is today, good or bad.

Just consider what the assassination of AD Ferdinand touched off....the death of the heir to the throne led to war (more than one actually due to the fallout of the first one) and the death of, ultimately, millions of people across Europe. Amazing really.

MM

Constitutional Monarchy is the most modern and most successful system of government.

I think the Scandinavian monarchies and the Netherlands showcase the best democracies in the world and yet to some people they are attached to an archaic institution, while there are certainly many republics that mirror the Middle Eastern countries more than people would hope. (No more on this, I promise! :lol: )
I think boards like this prove why the European monarchies plus the United Kingdom will survive and not succumb to republics. Look at the interest and participation in the "reigning" threads and the "non-reigning" threads, quite a difference isn't there? Tourism is proven to be more in monarchies (or historical monarchies like the pre-unification Italian states) than other States.

Most of the European countries are historical monarchies, so that is maybe not a proof.

I am not a monarchist. Interested in current European monarchies and historical ones, yes, but I am not in favour of a monarchy in my country. Some good friends of mine are and it is very interesting to discuss about it, but I don't really like the monarchist ideas in France.

I am strongly monarchist and I hope one day Monarchy will return to Russia,Georgia,Romania,Greece,Serbia,Montenegro,Albania,Turkey,Austria,Germany,France,Italy,Portugal...to speak only about Europe.
France ..? The French had revolution in 1789, Napoleonic Empire in 1804, restorations in 1814 and 1815, and again revolution in 1830. French monarchists failed to keep the restoration viable.

Last edited:
I am not. They served little purpose, many were absuive. Today's, limited, constitutional monarchies are fine, for where they are. It is not the single most successful form of government. I doubt any on that long list want a return of monarchy. It is a time past.

France had 5 Republics,two Empires...but Constitutional Monarchy could always be back.A French interested in Royalty is not monarchist maybe because in France there is a division between "legitimistes" and "orleanistes".

Most of the European countries are historical monarchies, so that is maybe not a proof.

But that is what I meant with Italy as an example (and I'm sure you'd agree that some tourism to France results from the beautiful palaces there). I meant other States such as America or Brazil or so on. Sure both have a lot of tourism but the amount of visitors that pass through Kensington Palace outweighs those who walk through the limited spaces allowed in the White House now or go to LA or spend weeks on the beach in Rio.

I am not a monarchist. Interested in current European monarchies and historical ones, yes, but I am not in favour of a monarchy in my country. Some good friends of mine are and it is very interesting to discuss about it, but I don't really like the monarchist ideas in France.

And I completely respect that as I have friends who don't believe in a monarchy, etc. I think perhaps because of the actions of the last few French Kings, monarchy in France has become sullied as opposed to where living in Australia for a while now compared to my native New York has cemented my advocacy of monarchism.

I find it very unlikely that any former monarchy or never-was-a-monarchy will suddenly become one, but I also feel the fear of current ones being toppled is very small.
:flowers:

The last thing France needs is the skirmish between pretenders, who had got the second chance and failed it.

Any non-reigning Royal Family can return on the Throne if peoples want that.

I am not. They served little purpose, many were absuive. Today's, limited, constitutional monarchies are fine, for where they are. It is not the single most successful form of government. I doubt any on that long list want a return of monarchy. It is a time past.

And yet 2/3 of the 10 least corrupt nations are constitutional monarchies and over half of the top 20 happiest countries are constitutional monarchies.

It is easy to not realize that as Americans we are force-fed the bad, mad King George III and thus all kings are tyrants who our courageous (yet morally deplorable) founding fathers defeated in the Revolutionary War.

Italy and Greece can benefit from having non-political monarchs at the current moment. Will they possible restore their former monarchies and the successors (or disputed successors) in time? Absolutely not.

Except maybe Montenegro or Serbia it is rather difficult the process of abolishing the Republics ( which are former Monarchies) in Europe.

As someone who voted against Australia becoming a republic in 1999 I find that my attitude to Australia remaining a monarchy has changed and now firmly support the ending of the monarchy - particularly as it is a foreign monarch -here.

I am happy to follow the BRF - IN BRITAIN - but would like to see the links between the Queen and Australia end so we can be fully represented by one of our own.

If somewhere back in history the British monarch had been forward thinking and had put their younger children on the throne as King/Queen of Australia and we now had our own monarch instead of one we share and one whose first loyalty will always be to another country I would have remained a monarchist for Australia - and I suspect the entire republican debate would not have really arisen here.

Do I think that monarchies will/should be restored in Europe - no - they are an outdated institution, particularly in democracies. Where the democracy developed to include them - fine, but to impose them on a democracy isn't going to happen.

Constitutional Monarchies ARE democratic systems so...

As someone who voted against Australia becoming a republic in 1999 I find that my attitude to Australia remaining a monarchy has changed and now firmly support the ending of the monarchy - particularly as it is a foreign monarch -here.

I am happy to follow the BRF - IN BRITAIN - but would like to see the links between the Queen and Australia end so we can be fully represented by one of our own.

If somewhere back in history the British monarch had been forward thinking and had put their younger children on the throne as King/Queen of Australia and we now had our own monarch instead of one we share and one whose first loyalty will always be to another country I would have remained a monarchist for Australia - and I suspect the entire republican debate would not have really arisen here.

Do I think that monarchies will/should be restored in Europe - no - they are an outdated institution, particularly in democracies. Where the democracy developed to include them - fine, but to impose them on a democracy isn't going to happen.

I can understand that view and I have friends who share it -- as well as being relatively new to Australia compared to you who was born here, and thus may be viewed as not having a right to speak on the question of Australia and monarchy -- but don't you think the Australian-born and Australian-educated Governor-General is your local head of state?

I think moving to a country with a different type of political system as opposed to staying in one country my entire life or spending a year abroad allows one to view things differently than those who don't, if that makes sense.
My country of birth is adjacent to another Commonwealth country who still holds the Queen as formal head of state. The difference in health care, taxes, corruption, education, and general happiness is remarkable. I think you can guess which one is which. And I believe the Queen as head of state of Canada is somewhat to credit for this.

Australia is a democratic country and yet it is a monarchy as well. Monarchy guarantees one thing: political neutrality (even with the case of Charles' causes).

But as I said before, I completely respect your opinion, I just differ from it. :flowers:

I'm strictly a constitutional monarchist. I support monarchies in democratic countries.:flowers:

Same. I think that monarchy, as it exists in northwestern Europe and the Commonwealth (and a few other places- not the Middle East) is a form of government that has advantages that republics do not have, and I'm intrigued by politics and different forms of government.

I'm not in favor of restoring all non-ruling houses because many of them were poor leaders and thus lost their thrones (King Constantine comes to mind, as does the Shah of Iran).

I respect your position but view things differently. As non-Briton, I'd be glad to have some type of connection with the BRF- countries that have the Queen as head of state are part of something larger than each individual country, and the Queen is "[y]our own". She's just as much the Queen of Australia as she is the Queen of England.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom