The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

I find them interesting, but no. Most countries could live well without their monarchies. If they want them, that is their business.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Serene Highness

I find it interesting but if all monarchies were to go tomorrow, I wouldn't shed a tear. A monarchy + 2013= old fashioned to me.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

I'm going to edit my post as I now have different views:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I'm defintatly a royalist! I can't imagine living in a country without a monarchy; and if I ever moved countries, it would probably have to be one with a monarchy . I just love occasions like royal weddings and Trooping of the Color. Most of my excitement last year was because of the Jubilee, whilst most of my friends were excited for the Olympics.

My Queen is Elizabeth II, so my Royal Family is the BRF. I would be very upset if our monarchy ever went away. I've always dreamed of being royalty, ever since I can remember...
I'm a monarchist, and like the concept of a constitutional monarchy. I also like to hear royal news so I'm up to date, and I do follow most of the European Royal Families. I just love events like royal weddings and Trooping of the Colour (but then again I suppose we all like a royal wedding! ). I also like finding out information about pretending royal families (like Italy and France), as I think they're interesting. If any monarchy ever went, then I would be quite disappointed.
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my new group!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:58 PM
Nobility

I am a royalist and will continue to be as long as monarchies stay relevant and make meaningful contributions to their countries. I grew up in the Netherlands but have lived in Canada now for 20 years: I see the Queens (and other royal family members) in these two countries doing a lot to unify the country, provide leadership and support many wonderful charities.

I'll admit- with everything happening in Spain, I've been wondering if monarchies should be tossed. I think when they are involved in corruption and are only self serving (as the Spanish one seems to have become) then they need to go.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:04 PM
Serene Highness

I don't think any of the Constitutional Monarchies have to go. But many has to return.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 PM
Serene Highness

I am not a monarchist because I see that hereditary monarchs have traditionally inbred.
As long as they have stopped inbreeding, I can see use for them as good examples, cultural leaders, etc. When they do little more than play at being rich, I see no use for them. I admire some monarchies much more than others. Luxembourg is my favorite.
I like a monarchy where the ruler and his family are highly educated, like the Luxembourgers, and therefore able to input economic direction to the government, even if behind the scenes. I do not like the monarchies which are known primarily as wearers of high fashion clothing, although I like to look at the pretty clothes too.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Serene Highness

Monarchies are old fashioned to a certain degree. They change very slowly and sometimes they stubbornly hold on to some traditions which are done bascially as a formality. Some of these traditions are good. Others aren't and sometimes hanging on to old traditions depending on what they are can be more damaging than helpful. However in the countries where the monarchy still exists, they are good PR for tourism and they are also part of the cultural heritage of that country.

Some royals or royal households put great emphasis on appearances on how others perceive them, some royalty going overboard on this. When they go overboard on this or try to make themselves appear to be what they aren't (a happy family which isn't or a happily married couple who clearly aren't happy together), people see right thru it after a while even when people try to hid this. The royals who are the happiest are probably the families that don't go overboard on this or don't make this a major issue.

Even so, I'm a royalist at heart. Like others on this blog some royal families I like better than others. The ones I like are the ones who are royal in a classy way. The ones who don't say a lot but people respect them because of their good example. These royals are not flashy nor do they seek out attention.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Courtier

I´m more ambivalent when it comes to Royalty. I do believe some countries are better under a monarchy than others where a Republic fits better.
I would love to see Romania as Monarchy again, but for example France, not really.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Nobility

Is a country like Iran better off now than they were at the time of the Shah? I was young then, just remember him leaving. Are the people better off now than then?