The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Courtier

Accents of foreign Royals

I wonder :how strong are the accents of the Royals who moved from their home country to another country when they got married?
I mean: how strong are for example Princess Maxima or Princess Mary's accents?
Do you still hear very easily where they are from??
I heard that Prince Henrik still has a strong Frensh accent, and also Marie's accent is very strong (but charming) (and she doesn't live that long in Denmark yet).
Or: how strong was Prince Claus' accent? Did one hear any German accent in the end?
Thank you.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:32 PM
Aristocracy

I have observd that people who live in international circles have a particular style of talking rather than an actual accent. Some "foreign" accents can sound very attractive. The Greek and Danish royals have imperdceptible accents when speaking English. I rejoice in all accents so long as the voice is sympathetic, but have to confess I cringe on hearing some minor princely individuals speaking the media speak of mid-Atlantic.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Nobility

Mary still has an accent when speaking Danish, but that is only natural. She was not a child when she was learning the language. Prince Consort Henrik has a very distinct French accent, but he actually has a very large Danish vocabulary, so I think it is unfair to keep hassling him. He was over 30 when he came to DK. And all teachers will tell you that acquirering a new language as an adult is very difficult....and Danish along with Dutch is perhaps not the easiest ones :-)
Old 06-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Nobility

Queen Silvia speaks swedish whit a strong german accent... and Im always kind of nervous when I hear her speak, because of the mistakes she usually makes when it comes to definite article (the end of some words in swedish) For ex... I heard her speak about belts and she repeatedly said "den bl skrpen" instead of "det bl skrpet" and its often something like that when she speaks...
"Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body" (Ecclesiastes 12:12)
Old 06-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

That they are able to speak another language and well, even with little missteps is admirable.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
That they are able to speak another language and well, even with little missteps is admirable.
I agree with you.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Queen Silvia speaks swedish whit a strong german accent...
this is funny because I think she also has a little swedish accent when she speaks german
she doesn't really speak very fluent... i mean sometime i have the feeling she translates the swedish words into german.
but of course it's not easy to notice. only if german is your first language.

what about maxima? her Dutch always sounds pretty good to me. but I don't speak dutch so I cannot say if she has an accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS
hat they are able to speak another language and well, even with little missteps is admirable.
Yes of course. I was just curious how their accents sound.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

A video of the Greek Royals, including a little part where you can hear Queen Anne-Marie speaking Greek:

Video

Does she and her family speak Greek with each other or do they speak English (since they live in the UK)?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Courtier

I read an old interview once (I think maybe with Nikolaos, it was one of the older children) where he said he generally speaks English with his parents, as well as what he described as "bad Greek." I think they always speak English with the younger children, as it's their native language and I don't think Theodora and Philippos's Greek is completely fluent. I would also imagine that Anne-Marie and Constantine have long been in the habit of speaking English to each other, since that's the only common language they had during the courtship and engagement and the first year or so of the marriage. (I'm not sure when AM learned her Greek, but I've read an interview shortly after Alexia's birth in 1965, a year after the marriage, where AM admits she still can't really carry on a conversation and is speaking English to the baby.)