The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Serene Highness

True but its possible that a royal family might hope for a "Diana wthout the faults", ie a charming beautiful special bride who would raise the RF's profile and attract the public.. but hopefully without making te mistakes Di made

Old 08-14-2016, 05:34 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
From what I've seen with the marriages that have occurred after Diana, it seems like the Family accepts each person that marries into the family as they are with their own strengths and abilities to make a contribution.

With all the eyes that have been on William and Kate over the years, I think Kate has been kind of like what we could call the AntiDiana. Through no fault of her own, with being thrust in the limelight, she has in her own way become a sensation with the right parameters to go the Diana route but chooses to strive not to. Her and William are a team. They support each other and are not self seeking individuals. That's why they work so well together.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-14-2016, 06:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Of course Diana can't be copied or replaced as a person.

As a world-wide phenomenon that time has passed too. Diana became famous in a world in which magazines, the print media and TV and films ruled. Women bought weekly magazines as a matter of course in the 1980's in a way that would be incomprehensible to young women today.

I note that this thread began years before William's marriage. I think the British press were hoping, after William's marriage to Kate, that she would be a new Diana and that newspapers and magazines would fly off the shelves as they had done nearly thirty years before.

It didn't happen because of the impact of the personal Diana, whom the camera loved, a combination of, in the beginning, the innocence of a twenty year old, melded with warmth, glamour, charisma and a then new informality with the public that just wouldn't be able to be replicated today.

People didn't have Twitter then, didn't have cell phones, didn't have forums or blogs. Any attempt at a 'new Diana' in 2016 would bring thousands of people discussing hair, new clothing, (inevitably some would hate it all) whether she looked bloated or pregnant, whether she had had work done or was going to have work done, her complexion, spots?, whether her photographs were too photoshopped, lovers, where she was seen shopping yesterday, where she went for lunch with friends today. And celebrities of world fame wattage today are faced with the kind of criticism, sarcasm and on-line bullying on their Facebook pages that Diana never dreamed of.

If Diana thought her life was unsupportable at times because of critical articles and paps and press following her in the 1990's, any new Diana would crack up under the pressure in 2016 and onwards.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Nobility

I don't think we will be seeing something like the "Diana phenomenon" again. It was the product of the pre Internet/social media age where print media and television still dominated - this means that there's now some greater control over media presentation than there was in the past along with greater critisim of the paparazzi - ironically Diana's death was a big factor in this. The other difference was that obsession with celebrity in the late 1980s and 1990s was more intensely focused on a smaller group of individuals instead of the wider diffusion we have today, again thanks in no small part to the Internet. The other main reason is that no modern RF is going to let somone who was clearly troubled and unwell in retrospect marry into the family and certainly not so young - Diana's glamour and looks got us interested but it was her character flaws and later intrigues that kept us all hooked to this whole tadwry mess
Old 08-14-2016, 09:29 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
True but its possible that a royal family might hope for a "Diana wthout the faults", ie a charming beautiful special bride who would raise the RF's profile and attract the public.. but hopefully without making te mistakes Di made
A Diana without faults would be what the fanfic authors would call a Purity Sue - too good to be true and too hard to take seriously - you need some flaws, it makes you human and helps throw your good traits and good works into relif.

Nobody is perfect and those who try to be come off as cold and false - it's very off putting. Just being the best self you can be is better as it's more authentic and let's people know that you're still human
Old 08-18-2016, 02:41 AM
Serene Highness

Unfortunately Diana's faults were of a kind that negated a lot of the good side. She had charm and warmth and made people love her.. but she was lacking in "stick to it iveness" which meant that she got emotional and upset and walked out on a lot of the good things she did. She was friendly but befreinded the wrong people. I think that it might be possible to have a royal wife who had warmth and openness without the volatility. I agree that RFs are problaby now more careful and don't want a very young girl whose character is not yet developed, marrying into them in case she turns out very different to what she was like a teenager.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Oh gawd...I hope NOT!One was enough.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:06 AM
Heir Apparent

Oh come on Lucien. Someone beautiful, charming as well as intelligent, dynamic, eager, funny, energetic in the BRF. Doesn't that remind you of a certain European Queen?
Maxima! Gosh, I wish she was a British Royal. Like Diana she draws all eyes to her, and as Denville says, she 'raises the profile and attracts the public'. That's what's needed!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

...and like with Diana, Maxima is by some also said to "overshadow" the born royals in the family...
In other words, you can never please everybody
Old 08-18-2016, 07:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
...and like with Diana, Maxima is by some also said to "overshadow" the born royals in the family...
In other words, you can never please everybody
True, but contrary to Prince Charles, our King is not bothered by it and (I think) even enjoys it.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:17 AM
Serene Highness

I think so too but I also think Máxima has taken a somewhat more subdued attitude since her husband became King. And that is not a bad thing at all, since -for me- Willem-Alexander is lacking what I want to see in a King (and what his mother and daughter do have).
Old 08-18-2016, 08:37 AM
Heir Apparent

The won't ever be a new Diana, ever: The age, that charm, that certain manipulation, the way of acting towards and from the media, the dynamics, the wat the BRF was at the time. These are just some of the points that made Diana who she was. So I don't see any chance at all.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Oh come on Lucien. Someone beautiful, charming as well as intelligent, dynamic, eager, funny, energetic in the BRF. Doesn't that remind you of a certain European Queen?
Maxima! Gosh, I wish she was a British Royal. Like Diana she draws all eyes to her, and as Denville says, she 'raises the profile and attracts the public'. That's what's needed!
Does she? I wouldn't know her or the dutch monarchs from hollywoods latest.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, the BRF are the most well-known Royal family in English-speaking countries, and that's fair enough I suppose. However Maxima is well-known and popular in continental Europe I think, including the Netherlands, of course. I think she's delightful, but then I like extrovert royals, bubbly and enthusiastic.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Well, the BRF are the most well-known Royal family in English-speaking countries, and that's fair enough I suppose. However Maxima is well-known and popular in continental Europe I think, including the Netherlands, of course.
We know her here, too in NZ! However, since I'm half Dutch (though born in NZ) I do know a lot of Dutch immigrants, and of course they know their Royal Family. I think Maxima is lovely, but she does not have the publicity Diana had. I don't think there will ever be another Diana; it was the time, it was her youth and beauty, it was before we found out what she was truly like (both her virtues and her flaws) and in the 80s that sort of thing was just taken at face value, and she did have a fantastic face! It was a different age; the Royal Family were perceived differently, there was not the negative and downright nasty reporting that there is now. I don't think we need to know everything about the Royals, but half of what is printed today is made up so we probably don't! Kate, though lovely and I'm sure a really nice person, who is trying so hard IMO, just doesn't have the charisma Diana had.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, Diana did have charisma by the bucketload and warmth and good looks. But you're right. The time when she was a Royal superstar has well and truly gone and it's not coming back.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieCat View Post
We know her here, too in NZ! However, since I'm half Dutch (though born in NZ) I do know a lot of Dutch immigrants, and of course they know their Royal Family. I think Maxima is lovely, but she does not have the publicity Diana had. I don't think there will ever be another Diana; it was the time, it was her youth and beauty, it was before we found out what she was truly like (both her virtues and her flaws) and in the 80s that sort of thing was just taken at face value, and she did have a fantastic face! It was a different age; the Royal Family were perceived differently, there was not the negative and downright nasty reporting that there is now. I don't think we need to know everything about the Royals, but half of what is printed today is made up so we probably don't! Kate, though lovely and I'm sure a really nice person, who is trying so hard IMO, just doesn't have the charisma Diana had.
I agree that the era in which a royal superstar would receive publicity and attention like Diana has ended. To be honest I do believe that sort of media attention was starting to fade prior to her death and will not likely return for the reasons that you have stated.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
There is only one Diana, one Mathilde, one Mary, one Maxima, one Rania etc.
I've got troubles comparising the CP these days to Diana. It's unfair to them and to Diana. She was a person on her own just like the others are a person on their own.
Just because Empress ''Sisi'' Elisabeth is my favourite royal all time does not mean I want or have to search the new Sisi in Maxima just because she is going to be the future queen of my country. It's not fair.

And you can all wonder yourself; Do they even want to be labelled as the new Diana?
I wouldn't.
Any royal lady who is labeled as the new Diana may subconsciously wonder how thoroughly she is being scrutinized and compared to the original Diana.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

There will never be another Diana. She was one of a kind. Everyone else will be themselves.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 08-19-2016, 03:19 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Well, the BRF are the most well-known Royal family in English-speaking countries, and that's fair enough I suppose. However Maxima is well-known and popular in continental Europe I think, including the Netherlands, of course. I think she's delightful, but then I like extrovert royals, bubbly and enthusiastic.
Not a fan, really.. of the bicycling monarchies. of course Royal life becomes more "ordinary" as time goes on. THat's bound to happen and it is good. we don't want them living in castles all the time and never doing any work etc but I think that the continental monarchies overdid the "simplification" and I always wonder how sincere it is.
But I felt that Diana, if she'd been more intelligent would have been great at simplifying the Brit monarchy without losing a touch of dignity and "mystery" and grandeur. (After all if they are just the same as us, or as celebs what's the poit of them at all?)
I think she had an instincitive knowledge of how to do that, and if Say Charles had been more modern minded, he could have supplied the intellectual side of "how to go into the 21st Century without completely taking the monarchys' glamourous side away. and she could have done the "human" side fo it.
But I don't think she was extrovert really. I think that she was rather shy, and not very social, but she did care about people and she did find satisfaction in dealing with them in her royal duties. But it was something she had to work at a bit, she didn't come across to me as very bouncy or outgoing, just warm and approachbale. I'm not really keen on extroverts...