A New Diana?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm quite sure that the continental royals are grateful and pleased with not being as world famous as the Windsors. They only ones I can think of who reached the same level of recognition as Diana are Caroline and Stephanie of Monaco and none of them seemed happy about it.

Indeed, I'm quite sure she doesn't mind and is able to contribute on the world stage at least to the same level to goals that she considers important.

It was mainly to highlight my point that a big part of reaching the fame was to do with her position; her actions contributed to it but in different royal family would not have had the same effect.

Had Máxima married the future British king instead of the (future) Dutch king she might have had many more fans worldwide.

really? Why is that? just because the British RF are better known, because of the sharing of language and TV etc with the US

really? Why is that? just because the British RF are better known, because of the sharing of language and TV etc with the US

Exactly. The BRF are far better known, so anyone marrying a senior prince is bound to receive far more attention than any other royal ever would. Not because of their personal qualities but because the Windsors are the 'world's' royal family; the others only of their own country.

Exactly. The BRF are far better known, so anyone marrying a senior prince is bound to receive far more attention than any other royal ever would. Not because of their personal qualities but because the Windsors are the 'world's' royal family; the others only of their own country.
I think you may have misread what Denville meant.

Either way I doubt think either Mary, Kate, maxima, etc. would be the next Diana because they don't seem to desire the attention like Diana did. Take Mary, she is more popular than Fredrick, but from what I've seen she doesn't strive to outshine him.

For me, Letizia would be the new Diana in case of divorce. It may not be the most popular, but otherwise it has everything from style, charisma, shape, etc.
And note that Letizia did not adapt well to the Royal Family, just as Diana did not adapt either.
They are two different women in different times and realities and who have married different royal families. But I imagine Letizia to become a new Diana.

I think you may have misread what Denville meant.

Either way I doubt think either Mary, Kate, maxima, etc. would be the next Diana because they don't seem to desire the attention like Diana did. Take Mary, she is more popular than Fredrick, but from what I've seen she doesn't strive to outshine him.

I think there are very few people who want to be the new Diana if that means being hunted by the media all the time etc. It seems most royal families have found some way to deal with the media; which allows them a private life out of the media spotlight with only occasional interruptions.

I seriously think in some respects, Diana, Princess of Wales can be defined as a catalyst. She may not have had the intention of effecting change but through her words and her actions, she brought things out into the open that perhaps shouldn't have been, worked to change people's lives for the better and personally was dealing with her own demons and issues. In this respect, Diana was unique unto herself and by being herself, effected changes that still stay in our memories today 21 years after her death.

No one should ever aspire to be a "new" Diana or strive to walk in her footsteps. To do so would detract from being the person they are as individuals. We do look to people that we admire and take from them examples of what we would like to be like in our own character makeup to make us a better person. We also look to those that make mistakes and learn to avoid pitfalls. We take what we need and leave the rest.

There will never be another "new" Diana. The original was so totally unique that it can never be matched again and shouldn't be.

I think only two women are very very popular around the world in this moment like Diana and the two are Duchess Meghan of Sussex and Duchess Kate of Cambridge, the two are the most popular princess/duchess/member of royal/princely family in this moment, but I think only Meghan Markle could be the new Diana.

I disagree. Those two woman will never be close to the popularity Diana had around the world. Rememeber Diana was LOVED. there's the difference.

I don’t think anyone WANTS to be the new Diana frankly. Part of the appeal of Diana was always that fragility and vulnerability while leading a very privileged (material wise) life that captured people’s imaginations. In the early years, she was extremely young with a lot of responsibilities and expectations as the Princess of Wales. Then the break down of marriage. Part of the appeal always involved weakness and victimization. Not a good way to live.

Last edited:
As I believe I've stated before, Diana was the perfect example of what *not* to be like as a senior working royal for the "Firm". After the Diana years, many lessons were learned and absorbed and changes for the good came about and one of those changes is the importance of being a team player and being supportive rather than climbing to the pinnacle of "celebrity stardom" in their own right.

People "loved" Diana as they love "celebrities" and Diana fed on it to bolster her own self esteem that, IMO, was troubled. Diana's tragic death was a time of mass hysteria and outpourings of grief but we've seen that happen many, many times with public figures. JFK, John Lennon, Elvis and more.

In today's BRF, there will never be a "new" Diana because no one wants to make the same mistakes as Diana did. Both of her sons have married women they love first rather than out of duty and work together as a team for the monarchy and the "Firm" that supports it.

Public adoration and popularity doesn't mean much to a family that is working to support the betterment of the people they serve.

As I believe I've stated before, Diana was the perfect example of what *not* to be like as a senior working royal for the "Firm". After the Diana years, many lessons were learned and absorbed and changes for the good came about and one of those changes is the importance of being a team player and being supportive rather than climbing to the pinnacle of "celebrity stardom" in their own right.

People "loved" Diana as they love "celebrities" and Diana fed on it to bolster her own self esteem that, IMO, was troubled. Diana's tragic death was a time of mass hysteria and outpourings of grief but we've seen that happen many, many times with public figures. JFK, John Lennon, Elvis and more.

In today's BRF, there will never be a "new" Diana because no one wants to make the same mistakes as Diana did. Both of her sons have married women they love first rather than out of duty and work together as a team for the monarchy and the "Firm" that supports it.

Public adoration and popularity doesn't mean much to a family that is working to support the betterment of the people they serve.
I disagree. I think Diana was just a victim of the new age of “celebrity” it’s not like she wanted to be. She just transcended royalty into a place never seen and never be duplicated again. Honestly Diana inspired me with her humanitarian works and many people all around the world. Even third world countries. She was a light that shined too bright.

a place never seen and never be duplicated again

Lets hope so... her life [as a Royal] was an unparalleled disaster for the Throne she married into, and [as we all know] her life ended disastrously too..

I disagree. I think Diana was just a victim of the new age of “celebrity” it’s not like she wanted to be. She just transcended royalty into a place never seen and never be duplicated again. Honestly Diana inspired me with her humanitarian works and many people all around the world. Even third world countries. She was a light that shined too bright.

Diana was a light. At first she was like a fragile light because she had to learn all the duties and responsibilities of being the Princess of Wales. As the years passed, her light became brighter and brighter. Would you declare that some of her brightness came from the media?

I think the media was the creator of Diana's fame. They found a marvelous cash cow in Diana and milked it (and still milk it) for all it was worth. Diana fed into the media. She courted them and many places I've read, she'd spend her morning pouring over all the publications to see what they said about her and how good she looked or didn't look.

Most people that "love" Diana only know the media version presented day in and day out and didn't really know the "real" Diana at all.

I think the media was the creator of Diana's fame. They found a marvelous cash cow in Diana and milked it (and still milk it) for all it was worth. Diana fed into the media. She courted them and many places I've read, she'd spend her morning pouring over all the publications to see what they said about her and how good she looked or didn't look.

Most people that "love" Diana only know the media version presented day in and day out and didn't really know the "real" Diana at all.

Wow and you are really going to discredit those who actually met her and said they were touched by her and how genuine warm and empathy she was. Honestly We all have our faults we are not perfect but Diana is Diana and she is one of a kind and many still look up to her.

Diana was a light. At first she was like a fragile light because she had to learn all the duties and responsibilities of being the Princess of Wales. As the years passed, her light became brighter and brighter. Would you declare that some of her brightness came from the media?

No. I think it’s the public who did it and the media some part. Yeah it helped that she was a favorite but at the same time of he affection she had from the public can’t be faked.

Wow and you are really going to discredit those who actually met her and said they were touched by her and how genuine warm and empathy she was. Honestly We all have our faults we are not perfect but Diana is Diana and she is one of a kind and many still look up to her.

I don't discredit Diana's work or the admiration that people did have for her. That was her public life. Those that met her, mostly met her on a superficial basis and it was fleeting. There are a lot of people too that saw Diana as being an insecure, manipulative, troubled person and caused a lot of heartache and discord. That's the difference between her private and her public life.

"All the world’s a stage and all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances and one man in his time plays many parts" sum it up for me from Shakespeare. There's a lot more to Diana, Princess of Wales than her public persona.

I don't discredit Diana's work or the admiration that people did have for her. That was her public life. Those that met her, mostly met her on a superficial basis and it was fleeting. There are a lot of people too that saw Diana as being an insecure, manipulative, troubled person and caused a lot of heartache and discord. That's the difference between her private and her public life.

"All the world’s a stage and all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances and one man in his time plays many parts" sum it up for me from Shakespeare. There's a lot more to Diana, Princess of Wales than her public persona.

Doubt it was fleeting. She was geniunine even in her public life. At the end of the day she was a PUBLIC FIGURE so why bring up her personal life into her public role? Majority loves her even today. Honestly I am not one to criticize someone else life because we are all not perfect.

Do you know anything about the life and times of Diana, Princess of Wales *besides* her public life? It helps to get a more balanced view on who this person was. Being a public figure was her "job" up until a year before she died. It was what she was expected to do.

Anyways, I'm done here. I'm all Diana'ed out. :D

Do you know anything about the life and times of Diana, Princess of Wales *besides* her public life? It helps to get a more balanced view on who this person was. Being a public figure was her "job" up until a year before she died. It was what she was expected to do.

Anyways, I'm done here. I'm all Diana'ed out. :D

Yes I do and I am saying why should we judge? You're not perfect I'm not perfect. This is about her public role in which she was herself and genuine.

There are multiple accounts from people who knew her on a personal level, and, more tellingly, people who worked for her, who describe her as alternately charming and warm, but also manipulative, vindictive, and unstable. There are many accounts from a variety of sources that corroborate the fact that she was a very complicated person, and only like her public persona in a very superficial sense. For a more complete picture of the real person, not the Saint Diana of the tabloids, it is a good idea to read a variety of biographies.

Osipi's observations are right on the mark, in my opinion.

There are multiple accounts from people who knew her on a personal level, and, more tellingly, people who worked for her, who describe her as alternately charming and warm, but also manipulative, vindictive, and unstable. There are many accounts from a variety of sources that corroborate the fact that she was a very complicated person, and only like her public persona in a very superficial sense. For a more complete picture of the real person, not the Saint Diana of the tabloids, it is a good idea to read a variety of biographies.

Osipi's observations are right on the mark, in my opinion.

What I am saying is that we are all not perfect and I know all about her manipulative vindictive and unstable part of her but in my opinion many royal women have been influenced by Diana(I mean the women after Diana). She truly did set a high standard.

There will never be another Diana.

She's gone, no-one can replace her and that's that!

But to criticise and call her manipulative etc etc is way off the mark.

She was used and lied to.

Let's remember that she married for love, Charles did not.

She was young and ill equipped for that level of rejection.

Which one among us would be able to cope with what she had on her plate and come out unscathed?

Let's not go into this discussion again, ww have had that in many threads before and never reach the point of "agree to disagree" before the moderators are forced to cleanup the thread...

When thinking and reading other people's comments about what made Diana Diana i think there are a few keywords that stick out:
1. charming
2. dedicated to her causes and patronages
3. good with "the regular people"
4. young, innocent and unspoiled

imo
1. not everyone has natural charme but there are definitely people who have "it", so i'm sure there will be others amongst the royals
2. there are various royals who are very dedicated, QEII and P.Anne of GB to name but a few, it would do them injustice to consider ypthem less dedicated than Diana
3. again, this doesn't come natural to everybody but there are people who have this skill, for me Q.Maxima of NL and CP.Victoria of Sweden are examples
4. this also equals "inexperienced" and with an inexperienced person in any kind of job, you don't know up front how it will turn out. The job of an active royal, especially in a big monarchy like GB/Commonwealth is not an easy one, not one that would comes natural to anyone. Prior life experience is a big asset to an aspiring royal. I think the BRF will make sure that their royals are not inexperienced when starting the job anymore ever and will prefer some degree of prior life experience, as imo is shown in the fact that the Queen's grandchildren don't marry at a very young age and often after several years of relationship.

No. I think it’s the public who did it and the media some part. Yeah it helped that she was a favorite but at the same time of he affection she had from the public can’t be faked.

Kitty1224, I like the fact that it was the public who did it. When the public was first made aware of Lady Diana, she was a new discovery. And she was engaged to Prince Charles! The public wanted to know everything about her, even her educational days. Who provided the details? The media!

Kitty1224, I like the fact that it was the public who did it. When the public was first made aware of Lady Diana, she was a new discovery. And she was engaged to Prince Charles! The public wanted to know everything about her, even her educational days. Who provided the details? The media!
You are sooo right! I think some forget it’s the people who made Diana what she was. Diana was not a media product.

Let's be brutally honest here, Diana, the woman we knew, was the product of how the media decided to portray her.

I firmly believe that what we saw and read was a package deal. That is not to say that she was not charismatic but rather that what we read and saw was a lie and the paparazzi believed they made her and they could take it all away.

Do we really want even the illusion of a "New" Diana? I think not. Catherine is who and what she is by sheer will to be herself and she and remains grounded by her upper middle class family.

Had an interesting thought reading your post, Marg. Perhaps it is the total package of who Diana really was that raised her sons to be the men they are and embrace the "normal" things, fall in love and marry women that were comfortable in their own skin and don't aspire to great heights of fame and fortune and popularity on their own and revel in being in a relationship that supports each other. Mostly she taught her boys to be happy.

In other words, Diana made mistakes but as we all know, we learn from mistakes. The end result will not be in a "new" Diana but actually what we do see is the type of royal woman that Diana may have given her eye teeth to be like. If the marriage had been for the right reasons, I believe we would have seen a totally different Diana all around. ?

This is not a Diana Fan Page!

For good or ill, better or worse, the only things we really "knew" about Diana was what she wore and whether we liked it and what she herself actually said and that is not enough to "know" anyone. Why is it, when someone is perceived to be not adhering to the party line they are deemed to be critical and need to get the whole publicity song and dance routine to remind us.

I would hate to see either Catherine or Meghan being promoted as the new Diana. Diana is dead. We do not need another one, the cost is way too high. I know that in death Diana has achieved almost Sainted status but she was not a saint. Why can she not be allowed to Rest in Peace? It is not as if her life will be forgotten.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom