The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-21-2016, 04:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Honeslty I think that that's very trivial in itself, I mean if people buy clothes because they saw Princess Diana or little George or Vic Beckham wearing them. What does it matter? Now if people voted a particular way or say developed some viewpoint because of a celebrity, or prominent person, it might be a lot more seirous.
I knew a lady who was the nicest person, and very sensible who said that in the early 80s she asked for a "lady Diana" haircut.. - like no doubt loads of other perfectly sensible women...
And in many ways an "endorsement" from a royal or celebrity can be a very good thing. One doctor said (in Tina Browns book on Diana) that when Diana spoke about her bulimia, a mother of a child who had an eating disorder, was able to understand her child's problem and realise it was nothing to be ashamed of...
Call it trivial, that's okay. What does it matter? It doesn't matter anything, but it's something I wonder about sometimes and at times I find it exaggerated. What use does it have to buy something only because, say, Prince George wore it but you don't actually like the thing itself?
May be trivial, but that's where I set a question mark.

I wouldn't necessarily call your example an endorsement, which -according to me- is literally taken a product that's praised by someone famous- but rather a high profile acknowledgement of something very serious.
That can take borders away and is important.
A disease is something you didn't ask for, that's the difference.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:20 PM
Serene Highness

why worry about soemthing like that? So some idiots buy things because George wears them and not because they like them?
I'm sure you know what I meant by an endorsement, in that Diana's public speaking about various issues helped to make a difference to people in trouble.. so what does it matter if some people bought clothes because she wore them? her public image, what she did and said in public had its good side and its trivial side.

Old 09-23-2016, 08:41 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
In the world of advertising, its been proven time and time again that if you want to sell something, have someone that the folks can identify with to push it. Here in the US, to reach the senior citizens, we have the "Fonz" Henry Winkler pushing something and Alex Trebek (Jeopardy) pushing something else. Jennifer Aniston pushes a couple of products. To me, it preys on people's mindset to be "just like" someone they identify with.

Diana was a woman that was very much admired, loved, followed and even in the worst of times, drew on people's heartstrings. There were a bazillion women out there that liked what they saw on her and wanted it as their own. I can well remember walking into a beauty salon in the 80s and just stating I wanted a "Diana" haircut.

The difference is that Diana wasn't pushing anything commercially. The same things that attracted women to want to style their hair like Diana, dress like Diana, do makeup like Diana also were prone to jump on the bandwagon of the causes that Diana worked to bring attention to. It was OK to be bulimic and seek help. AIDs patients were not to be feared and land mines destroyed far too many lives.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-24-2016, 02:21 AM
Serene Highness

Well I'm not sure if its quite the same. I think that Diana's fashion choice were popular because she was young pretty and royal and she had mostly a good eye fro dressing well. and in the very early 80s the Laura Ashley "simple country girl" with the long skirts and the short simple hairdo, were popular..and Diana wore them all,
I wore some of them too... so she was wearing clothes that a lot of Sloaney girls and ordinary girls were wearing... She wasn't wearing "high fashion".

But her causes l Feel that she put them forward well because of other qualities. She was compassionate and warm, and if she said that there was nothing to be feared In touchng someone with AIDS people tended to feel that she was a decent good hearted young woman and very likely she was right. And with Bulimia, it was felt that she had the guts to admit she had it, so it was OK for them to admit it and seek help - when no other royal had done anything like that before.
So I don't think that a royal's fashion choices being followed is quite the same as their "causes" becoming more popular..
But IMO it is perfectly harmless. If people dress their babies like George or Charlotte because they see the clothes on them and think "Oh my baby would look good in that" that's fine. If they do so just thnking "oh these are clothes that the RF wear, even if I don't like them.." well that hardly matters a lot, does it..