The Most Terrible, Part 2: April 2004 - May 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireweaver

Courtier
Hey everyone, this is a continuation of the thread entitled, The Most Terrible.
Enjoy :)

Maxima wore a ghastly outfit to the funeral of princess Juliana. The skirt and jacket were beautiful, but why on earth did she wear such a horrible ruffled blouse? And that awful flower on her hat (way too big!)... :yuk:

She looked like a person from Rembrandt's portraits, or even a circus clown :p

And that wasn't exactly an elegant way of getting on a bus

Attachments

• clown.jpg
    clown.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 2,593
  • ugly.jpg
    ugly.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,633
Last edited:
I've looked at and looked at and I'm forced to agree.......that is a sizable ruffle on that blouse. :p I'm not too wild about the hat either.......... :lol: In the pix of her getting on that bus, she seems to be having a little trouble with her legs and that tight skirt. If the skirt had a walking slit in the back, she would have made a more graceful entrance on the bus. But all in all, with the exception of that ruffle, the suit is quite nice.......

I agree that Maxima didn't look great, I hope she just had a bad day and that she ready to shine and sparkle in Spain and Denmark next month.

But I also didn't like Laurentien's suit. But I forgive her. She just delivered a baby.

Attachments

• lzurentien.jpg
    lzurentien.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 803
Last edited:
Originally posted by Hannelore@Apr 7th, 2004 - 7:25 am
I liked Laurentien's better (but I really adore cloche hats so that's probably got something to do with it  :p )

Another thing I don't understand: while most women of the RF were completely in white, or wearing black with a wite coat and hat, Máxima was nearly completely in black.

Princess Laurentien at the funeral
Direct female descendents of Princess Juliana were to wear white completely. Whereas female family members who were not direct descendents of hers, were to wear touches of white. That is why Maxima, Mabel, Laurentien, and others only wore white accents.

Originally posted by Jacqueline+Apr 7th, 2004 - 6:46 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jacqueline @ Apr 7th, 2004 - 6:46 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hannelore@Apr 7th, 2004 - 7:25 am
I liked Laurentien's better (but I really adore cloche hats so that's probably got something to do with it  :p )

Another thing I don't understand: while most women of the RF were completely in white, or wearing black with a wite coat and hat, Máxima was nearly completely in black.

Princess Laurentien at the funeral
Direct female descendents of Princess Juliana were to wear white completely. Whereas female family members who were not direct descendents of hers, were to wear touches of white. That is why Maxima, Mabel, Laurentien, and others only wore white accents. [/b][/quote]
That's very interesting. Is this a royal edict for this particular royal family or is this observed by all royal families in Europe?

I think it s only for this RF. I think Princess Juliana 's mother did the same thing at her funeral so Juliana was just following in her mother's footsteps. :rolleyes:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/3221005....5129F6170DACCFC I don't think a woman in her 70's should be wearing a dress like that. It is hanging off of her her.And her shoulders are wrinkled. http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/3222027....C52C5ECD16C2D17 I wish someone would heilp QEII about her dresses. The material is okay sometimes (even through the material reminds me of curtians), but I think it is the fit. She has a large bust line and a small waist line , so her dresses look bad on her most of the time. But I don't want to see QEII wearing push bra dresses or anything like hat, but just a better fit.

Originally posted by sky@Apr 7th, 2004 - 10:37 am
I don't think a woman in her 70's should be wearing a dress like that. It is hanging off of her her.And her shoulders are wrinkled.
I actually think Madame Chirac looks great in her red, one shouldered dress. Just because a woman is older and has some wrinkles doesn't mean that she should cover herself up from head to toe. I applaud Madame Chirac for not being self-conscious of her wrinkles or whatever physical flaws she feels she may have. At any rate, I certainly can't tell from the pictures I have seen of this evening that she has wrinkly shoulders, only that she looks great in her evening wear, has confidence and a beautiful smile.

Originally posted by Alexandria+Apr 7th, 2004 - 1:52 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alexandria @ Apr 7th, 2004 - 1:52 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sky@Apr 7th, 2004 - 10:37 am
I don't think a woman in her 70's should be wearing a dress like that. It is hanging off of her her.And her shoulders are wrinkled.
I actually think Madame Chirac looks great in her red, one shouldered dress. Just because a woman is older and has some wrinkles doesn't mean that she should cover herself up from head to toe. I applaud Madame Chirac for not being self-conscious of her wrinkles or whatever physical flaws she feels she may have. At any rate, I certainly can't tell from the pictures I have seen of this evening that she has wrinkly shoulders, only that she looks great in her evening wear, has confidence and a beautiful smile. [/b][/quote]
surely... she is really elegant in that red dress.

Originally posted by sky@Apr 7th, 2004 - 4:20 pm
I think it s only for this RF. I think Princess Juliana 's mother did the same thing at her funeral so Juliana was just following in her mother's footsteps. :rolleyes:
No no, Juliana's father and mother had a COMPLETE white funeral and Juliana requested that too, but didn't get it.

Beatrix was against to give the whole funeral of her mother the colour white. Beatrix had the opinion that people could think that the Oranjes were to spiritual.

Originally posted by carlota+Apr 7th, 2004 - 3:00 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (carlota @ Apr 7th, 2004 - 3:00 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Alexandria@Apr 7th, 2004 - 1:52 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-sky
@Apr 7th, 2004 - 10:37 am

I actually think Madame Chirac looks great in her red, one shouldered dress. Just because a woman is older and has some wrinkles doesn't mean that she should cover herself up from head to toe. I applaud Madame Chirac for not being self-conscious of her wrinkles or whatever physical flaws she feels she may have. At any rate, I certainly can't tell from the pictures I have seen of this evening that she has wrinkly shoulders, only that she looks great in her evening wear, has confidence and a beautiful smile.
surely... she is really elegant in that red dress. [/b][/quote]
I think the contrast between QEII and Mme. Chirac in the photo is startling. Mme. Chirac looks elegant and chic, while the Queen looks a bit dowdy.
This is not one of Queen's most attactive evening gowns, I guess I would say one of "the most terrible." Her daytime looks are great, though.

Originally posted by sky@Apr 7th, 2004 - 10:37 am
http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/3221005....5129F6170DACCFC I don't think a woman in her 70's should be wearing a dress like that. It is hanging off of her her.And her shoulders are wrinkled. http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/3222027....C52C5ECD16C2D17 I wish someone would heilp QEII about her dresses. The material is okay sometimes (even through the material reminds me of curtians), but I think it is the fit. She has a large bust line and a small waist line , so her dresses look bad on her most of the time. But I don't want to see QEII wearing push bra dresses or anything like hat, but just a better fit.
I think the red dress looks fine. What it does is make the Queen look pale and very dowdy. Queen Elizabeth's dress is a little loose and while the neckline is flattering, the rest of the gown does nothing for her. Her hair is white, the diamonds reflect white, the gown is white and the shoes are white. She has on too much white! If her gown was a eggshell or ivory color, and had a more defined waist, she would look more like her queenly self.... :p

Originally posted by Hannelore@Apr 17th, 2004 - 5:14 pm
The ridiculous outfit Letizia wore to a wedding of a family member of hers. A lot of things that don't go together, it looks like it's a size too big, and the fabric...!! She looks as if she's about to be sent to space :lol:

http://www.cover.es/fotoweb/bin/preview.dl...D3760ED6C411FE3

At least she is wearing a skirt for a change. Im getting sick of seeing her in pants. I agree with you on the jacket though - its very ill fitting.

Originally posted by wymanda+Apr 17th, 2004 - 6:30 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wymanda @ Apr 17th, 2004 - 6:30 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hannelore@Apr 17th, 2004 - 5:14 pm
The ridiculous outfit Letizia wore to a wedding of a family member of hers. A lot of things that don't go together, it looks like it's a size too big, and the fabric...!! She looks as if she's about to be sent to space  :lol:

At least she is wearing a skirt for a change. Im getting sick of seeing her in pants. I agree with you on the jacket though - its very ill fitting. [/b][/quote]
I think the problem with this dress is that it doesn't flatter Letizia's body shape; it is much too baggy on her slim frame, hence like she is swimming in the jacket. The dress however, would be beautiful if she were pregnant ... :innocent:

The best and worst of royal wedding fashion. Queen B really does have shocking taste in clothes & hats. The colour is nice but that flair over her ample hips and the hat looks like an explosion in a chicken farm. :p :eek: :blush: :sick: :sick: :sick:

On the other hand Maxima and Laurentian look sensational (you just can't go past black and white & I love the hat) :flower:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/3463631....3227F571AF1BA34

Originally posted by wymanda@Apr 25th, 2004 - 6:53 am
The best and worst of royal wedding fashion. Queen B really does have shocking taste in clothes & hats. The colour is nice but that flair over her ample hips and the hat looks like an explosion in a chicken farm. :p :eek: :blush: :sick: :sick: :sick:

On the other hand Maxima and Laurentian look sensational (you just can't go past black and white & I love the hat) :flower:

http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/3463631....3227F571AF1BA34
I actually found Queen Beatrix's outfit at her son's wedding to Mabel lovely. The colour was very nice on her, the jacket different from the usual suits she wears when performing royal functions, and the hat quite fun and whimsical. This was an occasion to celebrate, so why shouldn't the Queen's hat be different and fun?

I thought the colour of Laurentien's outfit wonderful, but I abhorred the flared bell-like sleeves of her jacket. It ruined an otherwise lovely look in my opinion.

How about Princess Alexandra from two day ago..

Princess Alexandra

It's just a bit too much imo, and the animal print belt at the ways killed the outfit.

Had she worn a simple black or white hat with a solid black or white shoes without the belt she would have looked much nicer imo.

Ooh yes, you'd say it's a pic from the eighties! :cry: :cry:

Originally posted by Alisa@Apr 25th, 2004 - 12:42 pm

Princess Alexandra

It's just a bit too much imo, and the animal print belt at the ways killed the outfit.

Had she worn a simple black or white hat with a solid black or white shoes without the belt she would have looked much nicer imo.
I agree, the belt was overkill. The suit was busy on it's own with the stripe pattern. The belt made it over the top -- and not in a good way. ;)

she is really elegant in plain designs, but this time it was too much for her as she is a petite woman...

Originally posted by Alisa@Apr 25th, 2004 - 11:42 am

Princess Alexandra

Anyone knows if this outfit is new or if she dicided to recicle?
I personally do not remember seing it before :unsure:

The outfit is new and probably from Chanel. :flower:

Originally posted by Alisa@Apr 25th, 2004 - 4:24 pm
The outfit is new and probably from Chanel. :flower:
What makes you think the outfit is from Chanel?

At any rate, I was going to say that I've seen this out fit on Alexandra before. I have pictures of her at another occasion wearing this outfit -- but minus the belt.

What makes you think the outfit is from Chanel?

It looks like a piece from their Spring 2004 collection.

Originally posted by Alisa@Apr 26th, 2004 - 12:42 am

Princess Alexandra

OMG - Was it made from cutting room scraps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom