The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 04:05 AM
Serene Highness

Wedding Dress

I agree re: wedding dress. It WAS voluminous but it was popular in terms of the styles of the time and presented nicely in the huge cathedral. Whatever the truth was--and here I refer to Mr. Devorik, a designer and friend later in her life--about her "wishing the moths had reduced the volume of the dress. Yuk!" Diana chose the Emmanuels from a host of designers and the designs they presented. She also relied heavily on British Vogue editors for advice so the dress was entirely of her choosing. Quite different from the sleeker ones now--Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's slip dress for example--it fit the times. And I still believe a very sleek little number would have not gone over well.

Old 02-02-2005, 04:07 AM
Serene Highness

I thought it was hideous and when I saw her in 2 versions of it, it didn't change my mind. It's rather like that Dior "slip" dress she wore in NY in 1997 or so. It was unbecoming and she ignored her style, slicked back her hair and the whole effect was unbecoming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Actually, I think some of those 1980s fashion glitches weren't all that well received at the time either. I remember quite a lot of criticism about the puffball when she first appeared in it.

Old 02-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Serene Highness

The Puffball

I guess it depends. If you are tall w/great legs, you could pull if off. Also, I cannot wear poufy, flouncy things.....so its a matter of what looks good on you....but appreciate your comments, Susan. I have never seen one worn in person. Thank you!
Old 02-04-2005, 11:32 AM
Commoner

Royals dressed badly

I saw a tread on the Princess Diana forum, called "Gosh, I wish I had skipped wearing THAT one!"
I found it very funny.
Let's post pictures of other royals with not so good looking dresses.

I'll start with Princess Märtha Louise.

I think this dress looks absolutly horrible. It looks so strange, like it doesn't fit. I adore Märtha's clothes, but this one.... NO!

Love, Lone
Old 02-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Serene Highness

that pic is so funny, i'll have to remember this thread when ever i'm having a bad day and i need a good laugh
Old 02-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Commoner

Maybe she just put it on, without looking in the mirror....
Old 02-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Nobility

One of the worst from 2004 was Laurentien at Frederick and Mary's wedding. What was she thinking??!!

Eliza
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Laurentien.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	88861  
Old 02-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Nobility

And another one of Martha Louise (also from Getty Images)

Eliza
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Martha.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	88872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Martha 1.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	88873  
Old 02-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Nobility

Marie Chantal also looked horrible at Willem Alexander and Maxima's wedding. It may be haute couture, but it's awful.

Eliza
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by azile1710

Eliza
Those green shoes!!!!!!! And Mette-Marit looks so stylish next to her!
Old 02-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Nobility

And Beatrix at Mabel and Frisco's wedding!

Eliza
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Beatrix 4.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	88886  
Old 02-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonemor
I saw a tread on the Princess Diana forum, called "Gosh, I wish I had skipped wearing THAT one!"
I found it very funny.
i merged your thread with the thread about the same subject
this is the second part in the thread

for those who wants to post about this subject
try to not repost photos maybe you can quate from the post that have the photo you wabt to talk about
Old 02-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonemor
I found it very funny.

I'll start with Princess Märtha Louise.

I think this dress looks absolutly horrible. It looks so strange, like it doesn't fit. I adore Märtha's clothes, but this one.... NO!

Love, Lone

Oh my goodness...Another unrecognizable picture of ML, at least for me. That dress is awful. The picture of her with MM...is that a bow tied around her neck? I do like ML and the way she dress, but those pictures of her aren't good ones. LOL those things on MC and QB's heads. My goodness, I have a had a good laugh for today. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

Eliza
Well, you can't really see the actual dress, much, but I do wonder what posessed her to wear a red wrap with that particular shade of green.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

Eliza
I think the worst part is the white stockings.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
And Beatrix at Mabel and Frisco's wedding!

Eliza
Ooh, that hat looks like Big Bird if he was blue. It's a nice colour, but just too 'sticky-outy'.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Nobility

I don´t know about Marthä......I like her style sometimes......but, most of the time, she only make mistakes....tcs tcs tcs....and Laurentien?? I make the same question : What she was thinking??!!! Horrible, terrible......awful!
Old 02-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Today 09:49 AMazile1710
Martha pretending to be a tomato ?
:)
Old 02-05-2005, 04:53 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathalian
I don´t know about Marthä......I like her style sometimes......but, most of the time, she only make mistakes....tcs tcs tcs....and Laurentien?? I make the same question : What she was thinking??!!! Horrible, terrible......awful!
to me it is rather what were her relatives thinking, they all had eyes and could see she was not wearing a bra and should have warned her that it did not look appropriate for a very formal event (or any event for that matter)
Old 02-05-2005, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Queen Rania at Prince Felipe's wedding gala.
I personally cant think of any royal woman who consistently dresses as impeccably as Rania does. Her dress at the gala was stunning but obviously the bra or whatever she was wearing underneath wasn't secured properly. I certainly hope she didn't spend the entire night looking like that.
Attached Images

Closed Thread