The Most Terrible, Part 2: April 2004 - May 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxima

And Maxima before she became a princess.

Attachments

• Maxi_before_fame.jpg
    Maxi_before_fame.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 568
Mabel's Pink Bow Dress

It reminds me of turn-of-the-last-century hobble skirts. pretty, but maybe not functional.

Can she move in that thing?

:)

Last edited:
mabels's bows

i am not a smart dresser but i know that if your dress looks like a bunch of presents then u dont want to wear it.
do some royals have their own stylist or fashions adviser? because there are a lot of fashion no-nos on this thread:confused:

Last edited:
King's Mistress said:
And Maxima before she became a princess.
..this pict remind me when once time I had forgoten my raining coat and umbrella at home, it was very heavy raining after office hour then I had to put all I can find in my office to cover myself to be able arive at home without have been very wet, I looked horrible in that time. Geeezzzz if some one took a photo of me and one day I become a princess the photo will appear in this thread:p.

anyway....Maxima still looks sweet in that pict

Princess Diana: "Gosh, I wish I had skipped wearing THAT one!"

While we all agree the vast majority of the time, Diana got it "right" and was very fashionable, it gives me hope to see even she had some fashion blunders now and then--usually in the 80s.

I thought it might be fun to revisit some of those she later regretted wearing. I would start with the wedding dress as she told Roberto Devorik and he proceeded to tell the world in "Diana: Her True Story", an A&E production, she once commented she hoped the moths "had consumed some of the bulk of the gown" and the added "yuck!," I personally found it charming and of its time. I thought it made her look like a fairytale princess......so, if others agree, I am starting off with a few which made me and likely later her wish they had never seen the light of day on her!

By the way, this is tough--she so often looked great and I am staying away from casual wear--though other don't have to--and focusing on evening attire and public outfits. I guess it shows she had it more often right than wrong!

I remember a dress with a puffball skirt that looked a bit strange; also an evening dress that looked pretty much exactly like a quilted dressing gown. I don't think either of them did anything for her.

I think she was rather cruel to say that about her wedding dress; presumably she had some say in what it looked like.

This is probably just catty nitpicking, but (not going to let that stop me!) I think the York wedding took place during the dot phase, and Diana wore a dress liberally spattered with dots to that wedding, which attracted a lot of attention. I think she might have dressed a bit more subtlely on that day since it was Sarah's day, not hers.

you scanned of Diana's dresses? but i have Diana's dresses book also but im not good post!

Diana wores 1981-1982 old fashion dresses when she got married to Prince Charles but the designer give her as profiles till more famous dresses than other Royals! but i think Diana more popular dress evening what Diana done for good work!

Sara Boyce

Elspeth said:
This is probably just catty nitpicking, but (not going to let that stop me!) I think the York wedding took place during the dot phase, and Diana wore a dress liberally spattered with dots to that wedding, which attracted a lot of attention. I think she might have dressed a bit more subtlely on that day since it was Sarah's day, not hers.

I remember that dress it was green and she also wore a unique hat. I didn't think it was that showy though. I think anything Diana wore would have caught attention. It was just how things were with her.

Can't find too many more which show Diana in less than radiant style......these are all from the 80s and a book called "Illustrated Fashion Guide: Diana Princess of Wales." There are also some from "Dressing Diana." Overall, I am finding--despite her inexperience--some really pretty gowns, though I have to admit the late 80s and 90s, her sleek, not always British made style, really shone!

maryshawn said:
Others may disagree but, apart from the color, this just looks wrong on her. Once again, not sleek; in fact it looks a bit crumpled.
Yes, it's wrong. Very wrong. And that blue and white skirt. :( It looks like when people used to do DIY sewing on their kilts at my school; it stuck out like that, and looked terrible. Ha ha.

No you're not being catty. Diana was known to have been very aware of her ability to upstage the Duchess of York when she chose to do so. Another early sign of her insecurity. As if Sarah Ferguson was any sort of "threat" to the Princess of Wales!

Maryshawn, go on and say it - this dress is a mess!

The Dress is a Mess....I Indeed Confess!

OK. I'm taking the leap:

The dress is a real mess!!!!!!! Ugh!

And Elspeth, no, I didn't "get" the leggings thing the designers posted like "it would have been great with leggings." I really don't see how.......

attachment.php

From the royal tour of Australia in 1983. Ladies and gentleman, on your left, Bellville Sassoon's "You Can Never Miss When You Dress Like a Candy Cane" complete with incongruous smock for bulk! On your right Arabella Pollen designed this dress after (a) breaking up with her boyfriend after horrific fight and decided to take out anger on the design, (b) was watching her car being towed or (c) learning it was for a visit to a woman's prison and circus on same day and was trying to help Diana blend in! I'm sorry....I love Diana but the 80s were tough!!!!

Attachments

• di11.jpg
    di11.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 861
Red, red, more red.....

attachment.php

Diana alternated this one with an all green dress, green tights and green accessories in an effort to help manage the stoplight problems in London! Actually, I love the suit.....but too much red! Nude tights or black or tan accessories would have saved the day! Jasper Conran in Italy, 1988

Attachments

• di12.jpg
    di12.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 700
attachment.php

You've seen the back...that ruffled thing posted earlier; here is the front. I must say I'm getting fonder of the back.....from Diana's look, I would say she agrees!

Attachments

• di13.jpg
    di13.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 913
The Bib Dress

attachment.php

It's hard to pull off wearing a bib....and that's exactly what Diana should have done! Saudi Arabia....and the 80s......I think it may have been a challenging decade for all!

Attachments

• di14.jpg
    di14.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 616
attachment.php

Peplums were big in the 80s....but this one looks like a flying saucer attached itself to her dress....

Attachments

• di15.jpg
    di15.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 592
I hope all know my comments are made in pure jest. I adore Diana's style.....and she seldom got it wrong! But occasionally, well....the photos tell the story.....

attachment.php

First, I love this dress and the overall "look." Second, I wonder if anyone thought Diana had a cold and was carrying her Kleenex on her shoulder. It's a bit large.....but still lovely!

Attachments

• di16.jpg
    di16.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 693
Yes, that frill thingy must have been really weird to carry around. Might just as well have turned up with a stuffed parrot on her shoulder.

maryshawn said:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=87846&stc=1
First, I love this dress and the overall "look." Second, I wonder if anyone thought Diana had a cold and was carrying her Kleenex on her shoulder. It's a bit large.....but still lovely!

Personally I've always loved this dress. The asymetrical thing was big in the '80's, remember the white dress Diana wore to church with a black frill down the neckline.............

Tuxedo Style

attachment.php

No! Some of Diana's tuxedo looks were nice....this is not one of them. Much too much....of everything!

Attachments

• di17.jpg
    di17.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 849
Oh, I love the dress....I have seen several views. Its the 80s thing....we all did big everything. Big hair, big shoulder pads......this isn't bad. It just struck me as a "bit" humorous in retrospect! My favorite of all I've posted though!

Well, I've looked at more photos of Diana from every book I have! She got it right 99% of the time--great odds for a new princess!!!! Even in the 80's!

thanks maryshawn, some great photos there.... aaaah fashion... it's a tricky thing!!! :D

Actually, I think some of those 1980s fashion glitches weren't all that well received at the time either. I remember quite a lot of criticism about the puffball when she first appeared in it.

I think the wedding dress was a bit much, but it was right for the occasion. That was a time when these voluminous taffeta efforts were quite the thing, and she was tall enough and young enough to carry off the dress with all the frills and the big sleeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom