The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the outfit but as others have said it is probably time to start choosing some British or Commonwealth designers.

She's only a month into the role so I can well understand why she is playing it safe. Had she worn a vibrant colour or pattern(not her style) she would have been seen to be competing for attention with the Queen. As for wearing more British or Commonwealth designers, there's plenty of time for that, particularly when she starts to visit the Commonwealth.

Part of Meghans job is to look classy and elegant. Every event at Buckingham Palace is to be carried off in a dignified manner. Having said that, a gala event is where the ladies can dazzle with gowns and jewels and the men look superbly dashing in uniforms and medals.
Meghan looks lovely here, its only the silly hemline I am not keen on.
So far I have liked everything she has worn except for the too large floral thing worn to Harrys cousins wedding.

It's not just color, it's styling, too. It's monotonous, I listed similarities to other outfits above and those were just off the top of my head.

She continuously shows up in new outfits that look very similar to others she's worn (hmmm, what person am I thinking of who gets criticized for the very same thing? :whistling: ) and she's only been at it a month!

RE blending when with HM, Meghan's style is boring even when HM isn't there, so no excuse there about blending. We've seen her blending, now let's see some dazzle (and I don't mean with highlighter), is that too much to ask?

Some people like a simple monochromatic look. There is nothing wrong with that. Some people like variety. There is nothing wrong with that.

I am not adventurous with my wardrobe choices. I find something that works for me...and I will continually look for the same style. I was on Ebay yesterday looking for a specific type of palazzo pants that I bought YEARS ago because I like the look. I remember walking into an Ann Taylor years ago with my sister and she was like...OH... a Store that is Full of Zonks! Cause it was my look...all of it! I have been known to purchase several different colors of a specific sweater, pants, etc. Maybe Meghan has decided (or her husband) has indicated that he likes her in Pink/Blush. And that's what she is going with.

Blending of the make up is a simple task. She is probably not used to doing her own make up, again....it will take a few What was I thinking...the light is totally different in my bathroom before she gets it right.

Last edited:
To me, Meghan's skirt doesn't look like the hemline is what is unusual but that it has an interesting design element attached to the side.

It is a very professional looking outfit with a fashion twist to the skirt.

Agreed. I think it’s quite unfortunate that we didn’t get a clear front standing shot to see the full skirt. I’m not for the different length hem, but I really liked the side of the skirt when I got a closer look.

It is a very professional looking outfit with a fashion twist to the skirt.
:previous: Yes! This is an excellent description of today's outfit.

I think her makeup looks great and her outfit might be boring and safe but at least its appropriate; she's still finding her way and to be honest this looks better than some of the atrocious I'll fitting clothes she likes to wear. I'd like her to do all her engagements with the Queen if it means she wears clothes that fit.

Okay, so many comments that Meghan's outfit is boring......well if looking classy, chic and elegant is boring, then bring it on please....:lol:.

Totally agree. Don't like the hems and these buttons but it looks elegant on her so I have nothing to complain.

I also don't get the “boring” comments too. I don't think it is similar to any of her pervious outfits at all, maybe except color? they are just in same style. It would be more weird if all her outfits are in different style (I think most of the royal ladies just stick to the style they prefer in most occasions......:whistling:) I am not surprised that she plays safe as she just joined the family for a month.

Speaking of buttons, I don’t really care for these. But I loved the buttons on her Trooping dress. From what I can remember, those had the flat front surface, and these look rounded. I think that and the button holes on the Trooping dress is what made me really like it whereas I’m kinda meh about these buttons.

I understand why people are using the word boring to describe the outfit especially because she's worn the color about 3x already. But I still like it nonetheless.

I like the neckline and I think it is a very professional and appropriate looking outfit (I like the buttons too).

I'd like to see her in brighter colours but I realize that is unlikely when she's appearing with the Queen present. Hopefully we'll see brighter colours when she does appearances on her own or with Prince Harry as she settles into her new role.

Very nice outfit, classic with a twist and chic. Her hair looks good and the makeup is too heavy I agree. The shoes would look better with lower spikes

She looks lovely. I love the buttons, adds some interest. Between the buttons and the skirt it gives the look a pop of interest.

I do wish we would see something other then blush though.

I'm slammed at work and working on a presentation so I'm gonna do a post and run, lol.

I saw Meghan's outfit in a tweet this morning - and in a video, so maybe that's why I LOVE it so much.

I don't see it as boring - the skirt alone was very edgy. It's not just asymmetrical, it's cut in such a way and sewn in such a way as to be this edgy flourish on the skirt - I love skirts like that. In motion the skirt is just gorgeous - it falls so well and looks at once regal and edgy.

I think the double row of buttons with the belt at the waist, and the slight flare to the bottom of the jacket over the edgy asymmetrical tailored skirt hem just make it perfect.

It's edgy regal. My kind of styling.

I do think Meghan is wearing out the beige/blush spectrum of colors though - but that's her signature. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

I can only imagine this outfit with one of those blush/nude hats. Whew. Sharp!!

Love her look today.

I think the makeup looking shiny is because of a flash - in most pictures you really don't see the shine like that.

I'm not sure what I think about her hair yet.

I think her makeup looks great and her outfit might be boring and safe but at least its appropriate; she's still finding her way and to be honest this looks better than some of the atrocious I'll fitting clothes she likes to wear. I'd like her to do all her engagements with the Queen if it means she wears clothes that fit.
I must agree. I don't see any problem with her makeup unless one has a problem with luminous powder/blush. I'm very picky about makeup so .....:whistling:
But then, you can't please everyone. There will always be something to find fuss about.

Add me to the list who don't get the "boring" complaints. The blush/neutral colors she's been favoring may be safe but there have been elements to almost all her outfits thus far that adds an edgy or unique quality. I love the buttons on this one and the assymetrical skirt. She also seems to have really taken to the bateau neckline, which I love as well. I do look forward to seeing other colors on her but I don't mind the blush and neutrals. I think she'll keep wearing them but perhaps will branch out more for less formal engagements.

I must say, the guests were all superbly turned out! Beautiful fashion all around

I must agree. I don't see any problem with her makeup unless one has a problem with luminous powder/blush. I'm very picky about makeup so .....:whistling:
But then, you can't please everyone. There will always be something to find fuss about.

I think the issue with makeup has to do with flashlights now that I’ve seen photos with just normal lights. She looked like she had makeup on, but there wasn’t anything heavy or too much about it. But when the lights start flashing, you can really tell the bronzer and highlights. Perhaps that’s why I liked her Trooping makeup so much. The weather was so good and no need for flash lights.

With the flash the makeup looks harsh and i see what others are seeing, but under normal lighting she looks fantastic.
I also agree that the other guests looked awesome.

Part of Meghans job is to look classy and elegant. Every event at Buckingham Palace is to be carried off in a dignified manner. Having said that, a gala event is where the ladies can dazzle with gowns and jewels and the men look superbly dashing in uniforms and medals.

I agree. :flowers: She is doing that: looking classy and elegant. Well done imo.

Must mention the picture of her taken in the car: she looks gorgeous! I know she's an attractive woman, but that random, unposed photo captures a truly exquisite moment. She is radiant and glowing.

(Agree with comments regarding the make-up and flash photography: so much of what one 'sees' is the vagaries of photography that cannot completely be 100% pre-accounted).

I was watching a clip of Meghan and HM on YouTube and remember hearing the presenter saying she was debuting her new eyebrows. Well I looked and her hair was all over the place thanks to the wind but this latest engagement demonstrated exactly how she has reshaped her eyebrows and I nearly fell off my chair.

There she sat with perfect glossy wavy hair parted in the centre with not a hair out of place. However, her hair was so perfect that we couldn't see the arch, just that they shot up and there she sat, perfectly posed and motionless . . . she looked like a Stepford wife. :eek:

She can look classy, poised and appropriate without choosing a difference shade of blergh every time! She can not-outshine the Queen without wearing what looks like a double breasted '80s power suit gone wrong. She can develop her own 'signature style' while incorporating at least a bit of variety!

None of this is difficult to get right, as a mature woman who's lived in the public spotlight for years at this point with a budget that the rest of us can only dream of. She is apparently interested in fashion and style but you wouldn't know based on her outfits so far.

She can look classy, poised and appropriate without choosing a difference shade of blergh every time! She can not-outshine the Queen without wearing what looks like a double breasted '80s power suit gone wrong. She can develop her own 'signature style' while incorporating at least a bit of variety!

I think the Queen (in this instance) is easily 'outshone'. ;) Look at what HM is wearing. Also, I think what Meghan is currently wearing is plenty unusual for her. It's all new from her perspective, nothing like anything she has ever worn before, and that being so, it must be fun.

She's inhabiting a role. I will speculate that she doesn't want to have the news be about her dress or comportment in a negative way. She is interested in substance. Just a hunch. She will never use her public events in a flashy way, ever.

None of this is difficult to get right, as a mature woman who's lived in the public spotlight for years at this point with a budget that the rest of us can only dream of. She is apparently interested in fashion and style but you wouldn't know based on her outfits so far.

Just how hard it is to 'get right' one has only to read this thread. :cool: It's plenty hard to 'get right' I'd say. Also, what we see is Meghan inhabiting a role at a public event. She may have been having more (personal) fun with the flowery wedding dress no one liked but that was on her time. Will she ever get it 'right' for all the public? I think not for everyone all the time. For sure not. ;) But she is doing just fine imo.

Last edited:
I like Meghan's outfit, it's nice enough, but I would have liked it even more in a different colour than another beige. And, another button outfit, time for a change, its getting boring.

I agree that the Young Leaders were very nicely turned out, they’re going to need their own fashion thread!

I thought Meghan looked very nice as well, and her neutral palette allowed others to shine.

In some photos she reminds me of Julia Roberts.

In love of the shoes and the upp part of the outfit that neckline suits her figure just perfectely Imo, don't mind the color it's better that black or white... However the make up is so unnatural and harsh and she looks plastic. The skirt isn't my cup of tea either.

Her outfit was a blush color, not beige.

I don't think we are going to see Meghan in any sort of 'wow' outfits (I'm not sure what some of you folks think is not boring?) while she is at work ..at the personal events or evening engagements that is when we will see something different. She's dressing to suit the role right now...as she is expected to.

LaRae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom