The Duchess of Sussex's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2018 - June 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA that too much is being made of Meghan needing to wear a British designer from a British design firm on this occasion. The rules are very relaxed these days. That was not a requirement for this outing with the Queen. Nor was it for Meghan's wedding attire either.

There are no rules per se of where she can or can't source her clothes from. Its just that as a foreigner marrying into the BRF, she has the small matter of trying to win over c60m people, and supporting British design and businesses is an obvious way.

There are no rules per se of where she can or can't source her clothes from. Its just that as a foreigner marrying into the BRF, she has the small matter of trying to win over c60m people, and supporting British design and businesses is an obvious way.

And she has supported and will likely continue to support British businesses. She's worn everything from Burberry, McQueen, Stella McCartney to Hiut Denim and many others. This is the second time she's worn Givenchy. Is there a need for her always been in a British designer? There is a flip side of some making comments that she's trying too hard and being pretentious and disingenuous by wearing purposely wearing British designers all the time.

Last edited:
:previous: Agreed @Jacqui. Meghan is doing a fine job with supporting the British fashion industry, and also the British economy! ? Not to mention the pocketbooks of royal reporters who are coming out with Meghan and Meghan/Harry books with unrelenting speed. ;)

I think it's clear to see from the below lovely closeup photo of Meghan's head (re the Queen's gift Meghan is wearing), that Meghan did do something with her hair.
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Duchess of Sussex's Pearl Earrings

She made individual parts at the top of her hair in order to tuck separate sections across on either side. Plus she has a lot of her hair falling more around her left shoulder, and a smaller portion of her hair framing the right side of her face. This is obviously on purpose to try and keep her hair in place as much as possible. I can also detect the use of a bit of hair gel to tame strands, but it's done with casual ease, not helmet-like coiffing.

I'm gonna bet that Meghan's hair blowing a bit in the wind today did not bother her in the least. She seems to be having a blast so far in her new life as a royal. :D

BTW, for Meghan fashion collectors, this Meghan & Harry paper doll book by Dover (post engagement but pre-wedding) seems like a keeper:
https://books.google.com/books/abou...ver&source=kp_read_button#v=onepage&q&f=false

I think they've come out with an updated paper doll book that includes the wedding attire. And there are porcelain dolls as well available from The Bradford Exchange.

Last edited:
And she has supported British businesses. This is the second time she's worn Givenchy. Is there a need for her always been in a British designer? There is a flip side of some making comments that she's trying too hard and being pretentious and disingenuous by wearing purposely wearing British designers all the time.

Yes, I do believe that she should largely wear British fashion at royal engagements. Once she is an established royal in a few years, she can start to introduce a bit of foreign fashion, quite like Kate has. At this stage of the game, I think it is a no brainer. Major events like the Trooping of the Colour should always be in British fashion, IMO.

Yes, I do believe that she should largely wear British fashion at royal engagements. Once she is an established royal in a few years, she can start to introduce a bit of foreign fashion, quite like Kate has. At this stage of the game, I think it is a no brainer. Major events like the Trooping of the Colour should always be in British fashion, IMO.

A few years is a lot of wardrobe to only pick from British designers. I'm willing to wager that when she goes to Australia and NZ, we will not only see all British designers either, but a mix of others and local designers. I don't believe Kate always wore British designers for the first few years either. There is definitely some mixing as well. After awhile, it's like we get it. It's British! I do like that she's been able to incorporate a lot of Canadian (a Commonwealth country that happened to be Meghan's adopted hometown for 7 years) fashion as well. But I do think Clare Waight Keller will be a strong collaboration for her regardless of which fashion house she works for from now on (obviously unless she goes to a very unsavory place, but that's not highly likely).

A few years is a lot of wardrobe to only pick from British designers.

There are rather a lot of British fashion designers to choose from, catering to all sorts of styles.

Also, some might argue that is the price you pay to be a member of the BRF, and all that comes with it.

I'm willing to wager that when she goes to Australia and NZ, we will not only see all British designers either, but a mix of others and local designers.

If she wears some local designers whilst in Aus & NZ, that is fine, as it is supporting the local business. Also, she will be representing the Queen of Aus and Queen of NZ on the trip. Kate did that as well.

I don't believe Kate always wore British designers for the first few years either. There is definitely some mixing as well. After awhile, it's like we get it. It's British!

My view is that Kate largely view British fashion for at least 4-5 years. It is only in recent years that we have seen her start to wear a lot more of D&G and other international labels.

Last edited:
I forget which company it was...but one of the companies was looking at closing their doors..however after Meghan wore their (coat I believe) they have turned the business around. This was during the engagement tour.

LaRae

Meghan looked great today. I wasn't so enthused by her cape as it seemed a little strange with the rest of the outfit, but overall she looks lovely.

Too tight, too bland, only Maxima can wear capes with any kind of success and she's a much more charismatic character who can carry them off. And good grief, if she can't keep her hands out of her hair I wish she'd put it up or back.

The dress has an architectural and classic feel. A bold choice and a good one. If her hair had been styled in a bun, for example, the look would have been far too stiff and confined. If it were in a loose bun, with loose strands, people would complain about that too. Her hair is fine and she will change it up as she needs to for various events.

Meghan is having a wonderful time at the moment regardless of any outside 'noise'. ? And I think she will continue to do so.

It's a lot of fun following Meghan and anticipating what she will wear on her public engagements. She's brought new interest and excitement to the ever appealing and watchable British royal family -- an historic and prestigious family for the ages. :rose2:

I actually missed this story - they sound absolutely lovely. Might have to get a pair for myself.

ROYALS
How Meghan Markle’s Jeans Are Helping to Save a Welsh Town

These are really the type of stories that give a better understanding of what kind of power the DoC and DoS wield, so to say. I would love it if they had an aid at KP keep a list of small, start-up (maybe struggling) local designers and companies who could really benefit from a royal shout-out. It doesn't necessary have to be a dress for Trooping or Ascot. Even a relatively casual event such as above can draw some much needed attention to local designers/ design hopefuls.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's not good for Meghan. She knows her body and her aesthetic. It's definitely a bold choice with the distinctive cape-styled bodice. She has lovely shoulders and is able to carry this look well. The cape styling does make the dress stand out but in an understated and demure way for this outing with the Queen.

I particularly love the color and the accessories (belt, bag, jewelry), but I'm not fully enamored of the cape effect on top. It works fine so no criticisms for the bold distinctiveness of the choice. It's just not one of my favorites of all the outfits Meghan has worn. It seems a bit too boxy and confining as styled. But again, Meghan carries it off well.

Last edited:
I thought that the Duchess looked very lovely but given that the weather was blustery she should have tied her hair back.

I actually missed this story - they sound absolutely lovely. Might have to get a pair for myself.

ROYALS
How Meghan Markle’s Jeans Are Helping to Save a Welsh Town

These are really the type of stories that give a better understanding of what kind of power the DoC and DoS wield, so to say. I would love it if they had an aid at KP keep a list of small, start-up (maybe struggling) local designers and companies who could really benefit from a royal shout-out. It doesn't necessary have to be a dress for Trooping or Ascot. Even a relatively casual event such as above can draw some much needed attention to local designers/ design hopefuls.

I love when they wear these small 'local' design houses.

LaRae

I like her look, dress, shoes, handbag and jewellery! wonder why she did not have a hat nor gloves?

I wonder why she did not have a hat nor gloves?

I think it's because the event itself didn't call for hats (I don't ever expect the younger royals to wear gloves tbh), so it comes down to personal choice. I don't know who the older lady with the Queen was, but she wore a hat whereas Samantha Cohen and Amy Pickerill along with the wife of the Lord Lieutenant who greeted them when they got off the train didn't.

Last edited:
Hmmm I don't think I've ever seen any of the younger BRF ladies wear gloves to an event. Most of the time they do not wear hats either.

LaRae

Mehan looked very elegant on this trip. The thing I like that there are no photos of her with a price tag on her dress!

I think she should keep her hair down for inside engagements and put it up or tie it back for outdoor engagements because it becomes distracting to see her forever shifting her hair.

However, my one reservation is the dratted clutch bag! Now they really should be relegated to evening wear. Meghan looked quite uncomfortable trying to change the way she handles her bag when putting it on the floor as before was so much more easy and efficient. She just doesn't strike me as a "clutch" person.

Meghan looked lovely. The dress was simple but elegant, lovely pale color. I love the cape to it. It would have been quite boring without it. :flowers:

Yes she needed her hair tied back. It sems to be an epidemic among British brides. How many times have I said the same about Kate??

Mehan looked very elegant on this trip. The thing I like that there are no photos of her with a price tag on her dress!

I think she should keep her hair down for inside engagements and put it up or tie it back for outdoor engagements because it becomes distracting to see her forever shifting her hair.

However, my one reservation is the dratted clutch bag! Now they really should be relegated to evening wear. Meghan looked quite uncomfortable trying to change the way she handles her bag when putting it on the floor as before was so much more easy and efficient. She just doesn't strike me as a "clutch" person.

The purse has a gold strap/chain on it...did she not use it during some of the tour today?

LaRae

The purse has a gold strap/chain on it...did she not use it during some of the tour today?

LaRae

She did eventually as they walked out of Storybook and did the walkabout. Not during the performance outside in the morning.

I think it's clear to see from the below lovely closeup photo of Meghan's head (re the Queen's gift Meghan is wearing), that Meghan did do something with her hair.
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board: Duchess of Sussex's Pearl Earrings

She made individual parts at the top of her hair in order to tuck separate sections across on either side. Plus she has a lot of her hair falling more around her left shoulder, and a smaller portion of her hair framing the right side of her face. This is obviously on purpose to try and keep her hair in place as much as possible. I can also detect the use of a bit of hair gel to tame strands, but it's done with casual ease, not helmet-like coiffing.

I don't think so. :huh: What we are seeing in that picture is the result of some pretty stiff winds that really played with her hair. When Meghan stepped off the train her part was clean and even, it became tousled from the wind. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom