The Duchess of Cornwall's Fashion & Style Part 7: June 2014 - May 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
That blue outfit looks disturbingly like one which my mother made for me when I was about 20. Mum was widowed young and money was tight and she made all her own clothes and most of mine until I started working. Even then she insisted on making me things, and it was difficult to dissuade her without hurting her feelings. She enjoyed sewing and was quite skilled but she was only an amateur and her results reflected this status. But the blue suit she made for me looked better than Camilla's Dior creation!

Overall, I've not been a fan of Camilla's outfits during her visit to the US - but I generally am not a fan of Camilla's style however, as it's a bit frumpy for me at times. However, there have been some outfits from her that I've liked or loved.

I'm also very surprised that the blue outfit is from Dior. :ermm:

:previous: This tour has been a sartorial disaster for Camilla. Dior? Shoot the designer responsible for these incredibly lumpy and bumpy ensembles. No one in their right mind or vision could possible think they are elegant. And the less said about the boots the better.

I would love to have seen her in some of the ensembles she has worn previously. The first Dior worn at the D-Day Anniversary was really flattering but these have been just plain awful. The only good thing has been her jewellery.

Last edited:
I've no idea what the designer was trying to achieve with that blue outfit.
The heavy-looking black boots and accessories didn't help, either. Oh my!

I understand the boots and the skirt. She wears clothes based on her engagements. She was meeting children and animals at a farm and she also visiited children at a community center.

Camilla likes clothes that are comfortable that she can move in. She wants to be able to walk, bend and stoop in the clothes without them riding up or blowing in the wind The clothes need to be able to to allow her to appear graceful while stooping down to talk to children and pet the small animals. This is why she wears flared skirts.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Camilla+Parker+Bowles+Prince+Charles+Visits+Z0zwUQQBPOTl.jpg

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Camilla+Parker+Bowles+Prince+Charles+Visits+Cj08OYi6XCyl.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Camilla+Parker+Bowles+Prince+Charles+Visits+RSRrYqSylzhl.jpg

Last edited:
Her suits and dresses need to be simple without seams or slits showing. Seams and slits should be on the side or in the back.

Her jackets and coats should be simple without pockets and if a pocket is needed then only a slit on the side without a flap.
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7540/6tgl.jpg

Her dress and coat combos should also follow the same lines.
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Camilla+Parker+Bowles+Royals+celebrate+Queen+k3fl5xxvwkkl.jpg

Her evening gowns should be constructed along the lines of her cocktail dresses.

Her red and black cocktail dress would be lovely as an evening gown.
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Camilla+Parker+Bowles+Pre+Dinner+Reception+SN_q2a2hEJ5l.jpg

Extend the dress to the floor and lengthen the sleeves to reach the wrist and the dress is perfect.

The dresses would be prettier as evening gowns if the color combinations were lighter. A pale pink and grey version of the red and black cocktail dress as an evening gown.

The cocktail dress worn on March 9 would also make an excellent evening gown using the same alteration to the hemline, neckline and sleeves.

It can become almost any shade of turquoise, rose or pale pink or powder blue, even white for the opening of parliament.
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Camilla+Parker+Bowles+Prince+Charles+Winfield+gMOvcXFCPf0l.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/52324bf2a449e63d0e95e5897b363a75/tumblr_nkylol9d0V1ssue4ho1_1280.jpg

The dress worn to the prewedding dinner on April 28, 2011 can also be converted to an evening gown, also in lighter shades.
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Prince+Charles+Prince+Charles+Camilla+Duchess+gyzWexfjAcpl.jpg

The evening gown worn on March 19th would look nice if the entire dress was all the same material. Hopefully the band was only placed over the dress.

Last edited:
:previous: You illustrated the reason her dresses need room to move and even that her boots have their place (I didn't actually take the nature of the engagement into account). Exactly that effect has been achieved before this tour wardrobe and it didn't look so bad.

Unfortunately, against all those examples you used to illustrate your point, (lovely) it makes her US Tour Wardrobe seem even worse. All those seams and patches in odd places and funny necklines that left so many ensembles looking lumpy and frumpy.

I have always admired Camilla's style as it suits real women of a certain age and is, more often than not, elegant and stylish. But this tour wardrobe veers madly away from her usual style, and not in a good way. Does anyone have any credible sources that can tell us why she changed her style so radically? Even reasonable theories would be a start.

:previous: You illustrated the reason her dresses need room to move and even that her boots have their place (I didn't actually take the nature of the engagement into account). Exactly that effect has been achieved before this tour wardrobe and it didn't look so bad.

Unfortunately, against all those examples you used to illustrate your point, (lovely) it makes her US Tour Wardrobe seem even worse. All those seams and patches in odd places and funny necklines that left so many ensembles looking lumpy and frumpy.

I have always admired Camilla's style as it suits real women of a certain age and is, more often than not, elegant and stylish. But this tour wardrobe veers madly away from her usual style, and not in a good way. Does anyone have any credible sources that can tell us why she changed her style so radically? Even reasonable theories would be a start.

I agree, some of her recent suits have been quite fussy, and not the usual style we have come to love (and expect!) from Camilla. I do think a lot of this is to do with Bruce Oldfield replacing Anna Valentine as the clothing designer of choice. BO has done some amazing clothes for Camilla, most notably the lovely evening gowns over the last 2 - 3 years. I think his day suits for her have been less of a success.

I think you all care far more than the DOC does. I remember back in earlier years of the marriage the scuffed heels on pumps and all the times she wore knee highs instead of long hose under her skirts. She's just not that into the fashion details. As long as she looks somewhat appropriate, I think she has hit her own fashion goals.

And frankly, I think it is a bit refreshing that she (like the Queen) is not trying to wear the latest thing or get squeezed into a tight suit because that's what people are wearing.

She dresses for work - as her husband does. She will wear things over and over. She will be comfortable, a bit dull and probably will not meet your expectations for how things should be done. She has her own set of standards that suit her just fine. Good for her. :p

I think you all care far more than the DOC does. I remember back in earlier years of the marriage the scuffed heels on pumps and all the times she wore knee highs instead of long hose under her skirts. She's just not that into the fashion details. As long as she looks somewhat appropriate, I think she has hit her own fashion goals.

And frankly, I think it is a bit refreshing that she (like the Queen) is not trying to wear the latest thing or get squeezed into a tight suit because that's what people are wearing.

She dresses for work - as her husband does. She will wear things over and over. She will be comfortable, a bit dull and probably will not meet your expectations for how things should be done. She has her own set of standards that suit her just fine. Good for her. :p

The difference is that the Queen dresses up to her status as the people's Queen and a representative of the United Kingdom. Camilla dresses like she forgets what a tailor is.

No one's asking her to rock jeggings, but one would settle for well-fitting clothes with some sense that we live in the 21st century.

A review of her clothes from 2005 or earlier shows classic cuts and styles.

Most of her dresses and suits were simple and elegant. The dress coats were simple with clean lines without pockets and minimal or no embellishments.

Now there are pockets, bands, embroidery, dangling sashes and all kinds of decorations, add ons and patterns on almost every item of clothing. She has pleats on top of pockets.

Her wardrobe in 2005 featured pastels and brighter colors.

Now her summer clothes are creams and her winter clothes are navy blue unless she wears something from 2005.

Camilla dresses like she forgets what a tailor is.

Camilla does not have a tailor she has Oldfield, which it the problem.

He nor his team can sew. She need a tailor who can cut the pattern to fit her shape. Oldfied uses bands and bits of material to try to compensate for his lack of tailoring skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
Most of The Duchess of Cornwall's suits are poorly-tailored. Various decorations and other embellishments often look awkward and unnecessary. She does have a nice collection of the hats.

Last edited:
Camilla does not have a tailor she has Oldfield, which it the problem.

He nor his team can sew. She need a tailor who can cut the pattern to fit her shape. Oldfied uses bands and bits of material to try to compensate for his lack of tailoring skill.

Wow ! Bruce Oldfield killed your goldfish or what ? The problem is that Bruce Oldfield is very talented but his skills are more telling on 4 size models than on a 67 years old woman with a generous body.
Plus some dresses made for Camilla were quite successful :

Prince Henrik Of Denmark Pictures - The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall Visit Denmark - Day Three - Zimbio

James Bond Pictures - Dame Judi Dench seen attending the world premiere of film 'Skyfall' held at London's Royal Albert Hall - Zimbio

Camila Parker Bowles Pictures - The State Opening of Parliament in London 5 - Zimbio

Camilla Parker Bowles Pictures - Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles Visit Sri Lanka: Day 2 - Zimbio

His skills do not translate to a womanly figure so he compensate with bands, bows and seams that fail.

I did not like any of the gowns

The Denmark dress could fix better and the extra material on the hips should be removed.

The Skyfall dress top is oddly made and doesn't flow naturally to the skirt.

The Parliament dress is a band used to shape rather than tailoring.

The Sri Lanka dress is the best but the lace could have been extended. This is another example of material used to shape rather than tailoring.

Last edited:

I have always maintained that the Oldfield gowns are amazing, it s just the day dresses that end up being far too fussy for Camilla.

Bring back Anna Valentine!!

Personally, I liked the cream (or dove gray) arrival outfit and the gray coat she wore on the second day. I didn't agree with her other fashion choices although I thought the colors she wore were very flattering.

The Duchess of Cornwall at the launch of the 'Travels to My Elephant' Rickshaw Race at Clarence House yesterday, March 26:

** Full view 1 ** Full view 2 **

The Duchess of Cornwall at the launch of the 'Travels to My Elephant' Rickshaw Race at Clarence House yesterday, March 26:

** Full view 1 ** Full view 2 **

I thought she looked lovely. The oft-used scarf did a great job of lightening the whole outfit, IMO.

Bruce Oldfield designs and makes what he designs and makes. It's not up to him to change his entire aesthetic to suit Camilla. Camilla has a daughter, a sister, a dresser, a daughter-in-law, friends, and countless pictures of herself. If she can't see that her clothes are unflattering, and her associates don't tell her, then it is the lady herself whose taste and judgment are the issue.

(I love Peter Pilotto's clothes, but I would look ridiculous in them, and it wouldn't be his fault.)

I thought she looked lovely. The oft-used scarf did a great job of lightening the whole outfit, IMO.

I'm not sure about the boots but overall she looked very nice. It's a great color for her and the scarf is a nice accessory.

:previous: Liked the colour and cut of her suit and loved the way the scarf lightened the whole "look". But, I am not a fan of what looks like suede winter boots worn for an indoor occasion that essentially looks to be a seme-casual cocktail affair.

Wearing such boots indoors is kind of like wearing gumboots in the kitchen. Not a good look!

The boots do seem odd, but my objection to them stems not so much from the fact she's wearing them indoors but more from the fact they don't seem to go with the dress.

I was thinking maybe she'd had to travel on a cold, bleak, day and the boots matched her coat, but the function was at Clarence House so that argument doesn't fly. Even if she did travel there that day, she would surely have shoes there that she could change into. Perhaps she had a run in her pantyhose and didn't have a spare pair! I feel there must be a reason for such an odd choice. Perhaps she gets cold feet and the heating at Clarence House is really bad! :ermm:

Bruce Oldfield designs and makes what he designs and makes. It's not up to him to change his entire aesthetic to suit Camilla.

If these clothes are custom made then they should fix properly.
If Camilla is paying Oldfield for custom clothes then they should be made for Camilla's body and shape.

If Camilla is purchasing Oldfield items already manufactured then that is entirely different.

The boots do seem odd, but my objection to them stems not so much from the fact she's wearing them indoors but more from the fact they don't seem to go with the dress.

I was thinking maybe she'd had to travel on a cold, bleak, day and the boots matched her coat, but the function was at Clarence House so that argument doesn't fly. Even if she did travel there that day, she would surely have shoes there that she could change into. Perhaps she had a run in her pantyhose and didn't have a spare pair! I feel there must be a reason for such an odd choice. Perhaps she gets cold feet and the heating at Clarence House is really bad! :ermm:

The function was held in the garden. Several people were wearing boots including Ruth Powys. The ground was probably muddy.

:previous: Liked the colour and cut of her suit and loved the way the scarf lightened the whole "look". But, I am not a fan of what looks like suede winter boots worn for an indoor occasion that essentially looks to be a seme-casual cocktail affair.

Wearing such boots indoors is kind of like wearing gumboots in the kitchen. Not a good look!

I didn't like the style of the dress/coat. The side cut/fold was not attractive.

The boots were worn because it was an outdoor event.

Last edited by a moderator:
The function was held in the garden. Several people were wearing boots including Ruth Powys. The ground was probably muddy.

OK. If the function was held in the garden, the boots are fine.

:previous: Indeed, if it was in the garden it's all sweet. The indoor photos misled me.

Camilla looks nice in her latest outfit and that shade of blue suits her, though I think the scarf spoils it a little because it's patterned. The boots are nice individually but I don't think they completely work with the dress. I love her brooch, doesn't Queen Maxima have a similar one or am I imagining things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom