The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 06:13 PM
Courtier

Nico

Nice caught. Thanks for posting the blue version of the gold dress.

Clearly the Duchess buys her clothes in bulk.

A woman’s shape is constantly changing.

The Duchess doesn’t have the time nor makes the time to refit her clothes before each wear.

It would be nice if she had the Queen’s dresser or she wore more tailored clothes especially on foreign trips but Camilla is Camilla & she is not going to change.

I think her posture is more a dowager hump or a dowager hump in the making than slouching.

As far as the pleated dress for the Dior visit, Oh so wrong. She should have just kept the pistachio colored coat & dress or the beige trench coat.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 PM
Courtier

Being top heavy can be a problem for us regular women . However, Camilla is a royal and can have the best bras around and if she can't find them in the stores she can have some especially made for her.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
IIRC, Camilla has back problems and it took a few to find the information, but a few years ago she was medically advised to pull out of some engagements while she was in Poland with Charles due to a pulled nerve. Both Charles and Camilla travel with ergonomically structured cushions to sit on.

Personally, I think she looks great for being nearly 66. I've never gotten the impression that Camilla was ever a clothes horse or has been overly concerned with fashion. She reminds me more of Anne who seems to see clothing as something necessary but not something to be overly fussed over.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Anyone have any idea of what is on her purse or the designer?

http://i43.tinypic.com/14dixol.jpg
Old 05-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Serene Highness

It's printed "I love Paris" and she bought it in a second hand shop in UK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...t-handbag.html
Old 05-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I
Personally, I think she looks great for being nearly 66. I've never gotten the impression that Camilla was ever a clothes horse or has been overly concerned with fashion. She reminds me more of Anne who seems to see clothing as something necessary but not something to be overly fussed over.
I think this is something that's important to remember. There is no requirement that royal women, be they born or married into their positions, be overly interested in clothing. Camilla might not always wear the best tailored clothes, but she doesn't seem to care, and that's her prerogative.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I think so, too. I have a feeling that comfort is a priority for her, and that she wears undergarments that are comfortable even if they might not give her the outline that some people are hoping for. She's clean and neat and well groomed, and I think that's all we should ask of her as far as her appearance is concerned.

Far more important, I think, is her lively wit and sparkling eyes and the warm smile and friendly manner with which she greets people as she goes about her duties.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Is this comment really necessary time and time again?
(re: bustline)

I think this really bothers a lot of us, particularly in the US. There is an oft reprinted Ann Landers (prominent deceased newspaper advice giver) bit of advice that many of us have seen many times over. It has to do with how you know when you need to wear a bra and how your bra should support your structure. To a lot of us, the DOC's support garments make her look unkempt and uncaring about her appearance. It's about on the same level as if she had not bothered to comb her hair. I am of course, speaking for others, Lumutqueen, but when I hear this from others, mostly members from the US, I completely understand their disbelief.

I just want her to choose things that flatter her good features - as I do for all the other royals and as I do for myself when I choose clothes. That's is what a consult with a stylist is supposed to help someone like Camilla sort out. Stylists over here help people find appropriate support as well as recommending looks and fits that help one out. I can't say I know enough about euro stylists to draw any conclusion.

I agree about the # appendages. Forum not twitter. But I am sure some people run their posts through multiple aps and so we should expect that as the Forums grow.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess carmen View Post
Being top heavy can be a problem for us regular women . However, Camilla is a royal and can have the best bras around and if she can't find them in the stores she can have some especially made for her.
But she might not like the weight on the shoulders.

Or she is just comfortable wearing the same loose fitting bras.

Lots of women wear the wrong bra because they do not realize that their body continually changes shape.

Maybe she doesn't like visiting a bra stores now that she is a public figure. Or doesn't want someone to know her bra size.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
(re: bustline)

I think this really bothers a lot of us, particularly in the US. (snip) To a lot of us, the DOC's support garments make her look unkempt and uncaring about her appearance. It's about on the same level as if she had not bothered to comb her hair.
I think you might have hit on another cultural difference here. I suspect Camilla's teeth don't appeal to our US friends, either. Here the US obsession (yes, I consider it is an obsession) with straight, white, teeth is considered to be a bit of a joke. You won't see a prominent US actor or television presenter with other than perfect, white, teeth, but it's not unusual to see a British actor of considerable renown with teeth in a natural colour, and some if them even sport quite uneven choppers. Different attitudes.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I think you might have hit on another cultural difference here. I suspect Camilla's teeth don't appeal to our US friends, either. Here the US obsession (yes, I consider it is an obsession) with straight, white, teeth is considered to be a bit of a joke. You won't see a prominent US actor or television presenter with other than perfect, white, teeth, but it's not unusual to see a British actor of considerable renown with teeth in a natural colour, and some if them even sport quite uneven choppers. Different attitudes.
I'd also add, it does not make people from the US correct in our assessment; it does make us firm when we express our opinions. Another cultural tic of ours. And thanks to the rest of you who understand our peculiarities.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

We have and use toothbrushes and have white teeth because we have them cleaned by our dentist's 2 times a year and take good care of them, and mostly, do not smoke. We wear undergarments that support us and try and look presentable. Cut the nonsense, I am 71. Different culture, fine, but don't ask us to Oh and Ah over a middle age woman who looks like..... I shan't use words, will be deleted. You like the look fine. We like teeth and structure to be nice. She has huge sums of money at her disposal and I, suspect, uses a lot of that. So, if we cannot say yea to her poorly selected clothes and fit, which cost a fortune, it may be a criticism of the designers and dressers.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
We have and use toothbrushes and have white teeth because we have them cleaned by our dentist's 2 times a year and take good care of them, and mostly, do not smoke. We wear undergarments that support us and try and look presentable. Cut the nonsense, I am 71. Different culture, fine, but don't ask us to Oh and Ah over a middle age woman who looks like..... I shan't use words, will be deleted. You like the look fine. We like teeth and structure to be nice. She has huge sums of money at her disposal and I, suspect, uses a lot of that. So, if we cannot say yea to her poorly selected clothes and fit, which cost a fortune, it may be a criticism of the designers and dressers.
No one's asking you to ooh and aah over her. We're merely saying that some of her clothing issues can be seen as the result of a cultural difference, some of it as the result of her not caring about clothes, and some of it as the result of her not necessarily knowing better.

There is a difference between not oohing and aahing and coming on just to criticize her - especially when it's just to criticize her for the same basic fashion choices over and over again.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry, this site is dedicated to how "well she looks". Those of us who say sometimes yes and sometimes no, are excoriated for not appreciating that she knows nothing about fashion. By the way, that is okay. It is just the ho and ha about how she looks. I loved her first outfit, it fit well, looked very nice, where are the people who dressed her for that. And she doesn't shop at Wal-Mart for the rest of the stuff. So a great fortune is being expended for crap.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
When one is well-endowed, shall we say, on the top, standing up straight is very, very difficult. I'm speaking from experience, and therefore, can sympathize with Her Highness. It's not easy to carry all that weight around, so please, cut the woman some slack. I'm sure she tries the best that she can. It's not easy to find proper undergarments for those of us who are top heavy.
Dear, I am 50 and wear a DD, and ride jumping horses every single day. I assure you I am well versed in the problem and solution! The less wobble/bounce/flop factor the better is my personal experience, both comfort, and fashion wise. And frankly, I'd rather see/have them hoisted up under the clavicle than flopping around the waist. Which, to return to the topic at hand, is what spoils Camilla's look in just about every outfit. QEII has the problem in recent years to a certain degree, bosom wise, but with impeccable posture and gravitas (not gravity!), which allows one to pull off a number of choices not possible avec le slouch grande.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Dear, I am 50 and wear a DD, and ride jumping horses every single day. I assure you I am well versed in the problem and solution! The less wobble/bounce/flop factor the better is my personal experience, both comfort, and fashion wise. And frankly, I'd rather see/have them hoisted up under the clavicle than flopping around the waist. Which, to return to the topic at hand, is what spoils Camilla's look in just about every outfit. QEII has the problem in recent years to a certain degree, bosom wise, but with impeccable posture and gravitas (not gravity!), which allows one to pull off a number of choices not possible avec le slouch grande.
Bravo. You are right. I have never been that endowed, but still run at my age and know what keep them in and how I look better and am able to do more. Thank you for your common sense approach.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 PM
Majesty

It is clear that to some people discussing another woman's body without knowing the issues affecting that person is deemed ok in some cultures.

To quote my grandmother - 'a lady never ever mentions their unmentionables or discusses those of another.'
Old 05-30-2013, 11:45 PM
Courtier

Please, this is a thread about fashion. If I wanted to discuss HRH's intellect or current events, I'd go (and do go) to the appropriate threads and add my two cents there.

Also, small point regarding the #, it's become an online "thing", but I'll stop using it if it offends so many.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Posts about the Duchess of Cornwall's breasts and the posting style of other members have been deleted as off-topic, besides that this is not the place to discuss cultural differences, so please get back to the topic of this thread. Further off-topic posts will be deleted without notice!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
Sorry, this site is dedicated to how "well she looks". Those of us who say sometimes yes and sometimes no, are excoriated for not appreciating that she knows nothing about fashion. By the way, that is okay. It is just the ho and ha about how she looks. I loved her first outfit, it fit well, looked very nice, where are the people who dressed her for that. And she doesn't shop at Wal-Mart for the rest of the stuff. So a great fortune is being expended for crap.
Not all of her clothes are tailored. It has been reported several times that she buys off the rack or from catalogs.

Tags
camilla, camillas evening dresses, camillas outfits, camillas style, duchess of cornwall's fashion, duchess of cornwall's fashion and style, duchess of cornwall's style