The Duchess of Cornwall's Fashion and Style Part 1: April 2005 - December 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a nice hat and it matches well with her outfit. Do you think the flower is detachable. I think the hat would look lovely without the flower too.

I don't think the flower is supposed to be detachable but with any hat you can take bits off and put bits on. Philip Treacy might not like it, but I don't see why the flower couldn't be removed. I think it'd look nice both ways too.

BeatrixFan said:
I don't think the flower is supposed to be detachable but with any hat you can take bits off and put bits on. Philip Treacy might not like it, but I don't see why the flower couldn't be removed. I think it'd look nice both ways too.

I do hope it is detachable. i like the hat a lot but the bow is just too much. if it were about half its size it would look quite elegant but as it is it looks like she unwittingly stuck the bow from one of her christmas gifts on her hat.

Most milliners use hat glue nowadays which makes it almost impossible to remove bows and flowers etc but the more expensive milliners stick with old fashioned methods and you can remove them - apparantly the Queen's hats are often chopped up and changed - for example, she might like the brim on a hat but not the decoration - so they use the brim and change the decoration.

BeatrixFan said:
Most milliners use hat glue nowadays which makes it almost impossible to remove bows and flowers etc but the more expensive milliners stick with old fashioned methods and you can remove them - apparantly the Queen's hats are often chopped up and changed - for example, she might like the brim on a hat but not the decoration - so they use the brim and change the decoration.

that is a very sensible, economical policy.

I was amazed to read that all clothes that are no longer 'wearable' are unpicked at Windsor and made into new garments which are then sent to charity shops on the understanding that the shop owners never let on as to where the clothes came from. The Queen, Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother all insisted on the practise and Princess Anne, the Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Kent, the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra all donate their old clothes and hats.

Last edited:
Princejonnhy25 said:
That is a nice hat and it matches well with her outfit. Do you think the flower is detachable. I think the hat would look lovely without the flower too.

I think the flower looks very nice. It would be lovely without the flower but it would also be too simple. Though I agree that simple often is the best ;), in this particular case I prefer the Duchess's hat with the flower.

Princejonnhy25 said:
The hat is really nice exept for the spiral corkskrew sticking out of the bow. What is that?
It's there to skewer her critics.

56488112.jpg

55393450.jpg

55331921.jpg

53277439.jpg

53066319.jpg

53262076.jpg

53260417.jpg

52778241.jpg

52613212.jpg

all the picture above and including these are from Gettyimages.
52614911.jpg

52613122.jpg

52264175.jpg

52113751.jpg

52113752.jpg

52113743.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think personally her hair looks a lot like Queen Elizabeth's, to me it looks like a feathered bowl cut, it would be nice if she let it grow out so she can do something else with it.

I think her "Farrah Fawcet's hairstyle" (in the 70's:) ) needs a renovation. Yes, if she would let it grow she would be able to have different hairdos.

I like her hair. It suits her face and age. Maybe it could be feathered a tad more (not too big though). Definitely don't want to see the duchess with a fad type style, no updos please. I think she knows this is working for her.

She has worn her hair in curls since joining the firm. Does anybody have pics of her in curls and pics of her hair style when she was young and Mrs. Parker Bowles. She is famous for her hair though and it does fit her.

Camilla's practising for when she become Queen: she has to get a "helmet hair" hairdo otherwise she wouldn't be an European Queen:D :D

I actually like Camilla's hair the way it is, although maybe she could have it thinned a little so it looked softer :rolleyes:

I can't imagine Camilla's hair any other way. It is very practical 'cuz even if the wind blows it looks the same.

sm1939 said:
she looks lovely , thanks for posting the picture

Well, I'll say it again, but IMO, the Camilla and the word "lovely" should not be used in the same sentence. I mean is everyone just being nice? Camilla is NOT attractive. She has nice clothes and sometimes nice hats, but they just don't complete the package! :eek:

On the subject of her hats I think they are fantastic & she seems to be able to "carry off" the hats she chooses.

2 questions

BeatrixFan said:
I was amazed to read that all clothes that are no longer 'wearable' are unpicked at Windsor and made into new garments which are then sent to charity shops on the understanding that the shop owners never let on as to where the clothes came from. The Queen, Princess Margaret and the Queen Mother all insisted on the practise and Princess Anne, the Countess of Wessex, the Duchess of Kent, the Duchess of Gloucester and Princess Alexandra all donate their old clothes and hats.

I was wondering two things about this: (1) where did you read this and is it a reliable source (b/c we all know not everything we read is true), and (2) is "unpicked" similar to taken apart? I ask b/c it isn't a phrase I've come across before and I didn't know if it was something uniquely British or uniquely "you". In context, it seems as if it means they are taken apart... I agree that this is an excellent way to recycle their clothes without having to see their old items showing up on eBay as "item #6 jillion, as worn by HM the Queen"... could you imagine??????

Lourdes said:
Well, I'll say it again, but IMO, the Camilla and the word "lovely" should not be used in the same sentence. I mean is everyone just being nice? Camilla is NOT attractive. She has nice clothes and sometimes nice hats, but they just don't complete the package! :eek:

Just depends on the connotation. I think that the Duchess is lovely, beautiful, radiant, etc., all because of her inner beauty and strength. She seems to me to be a pretty warm and kind hearted person. She glows because of those intangible qualities and it shows on her physical self. Therefore, IMO, she exudes loveliness. With that said she does complete the package.

She has a few hit or misses in her wardrobe but give her time and she'll work them all out.:)

Camilla projects an image of kindness, style and the brittish upperclass upbringing. Add to that the best stylists, jewelry and clothes that money can buy and the package is very appealing. Whether she has inner beauty is for the people that know her very well to decide but as far as her public image Charles' money has been well spent.

Besides, I just love her hats. She has the body and face to wear the oversized hats and they look great on her. They are tryly accessories and not just matching headcoverings.

Camilla's hats

Not all her hats are wonderful. My 9 year-old saw the photo of the navy hat she wore with the feathers sticking up all along the brim... he said "that looks like a huge eyelash".... I had to laugh and agree, because once I looked at it again, he was right!:p

skhaynie said:
Not all her hats are wonderful. My 9 year-old saw the photo of the navy hat she wore with the feathers sticking up all along the brim... he said "that looks like a huge eyelash".... I had to laugh and agree, because once I looked at it again, he was right!:p

LOL!!!:D She has definitely had some misses.;)

The hat reminded me of the romanovs in the early 1900's. It seemed so grand and imperial. It wasnt one of her best but she is royal and can get away with a crazy hat here and there.

Getty Images
May 24, 2006-London Chamber Orchestra

May 22, 2006-Chelsea Flower Show

kwanfan said:
Getty Images
May 16, 2005-The Far Pavillions Premiere

June 7, 2005-Mystic India Premiere
Source Getty Images
April 21, 2006-Queen Elizabeth's 80th Birthday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back