The Duchess of Cornwall's Fashion and Style Part 1: April 2005 - December 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The ugly hat ruins the look for me, but the suit itself is nicely fitted and elegant, exactly the style opposite of her shapeless Canadian frocks - this is the direction for her to go, IMHO.

Whomever designed that caped number...I say off with his head!

I have to agree that some of Camilla's outfits on her tour of Canada's were not as nice as some of the other ones. I did not come away as a fan of the cape, and not of the rabbit skin ensemble either. I agree she needed to be warm and comfortable, but I think greater thought was required there.

Love the suit and the hat, but what is that thing on her shoulder supposed to be? Reminds of any insect!

Isn't it a leek (the insect-like pin)?

Good suit, it makes her look as if she's lost a considerable amount of weight. Amazing what good tailoring can do!

It seems to me that diamond brooch is a Praying Mantis, or daddy long leg spider interpertation. (Nice to know that spunky CP Maxima isnt the only royal who likes spider pins!)

Tailoring is a wonderful thing, I with the Duchess would get all her clothes tailored correctly.

Im pretty sure its a Praying Mantis or Stick Insect. It was a gift from her father I think. Insect jewelry is an interesting theme, but cover anything in diamonds, and Im all for it.

Whomever designed that caped number...I say off with his head!

I'm relieved I wasn't the only one who didn't like that outfit, and am I right in thinking she wore it again for her departure from Canada.

Yes, for whatever inexplicable reason she wore the whole disastrous outfit a second time for the departure ceremony in Canada.
(Instead of taking one look at herself in pictures wearing it and donating it immediately to the Salvation Army...;))

I see no reason either to connect the word 'elegant' to an outfit which looks like a well-worn, shapeless Victorian velvet bathrobe under a Victorian vicar velvet cloak...
Scarlett O'Hara did so much better with Tara's green velvet curtains. ;)

I see no reason either to connect the word 'elegant' to an outfit which looks like a well-worn, shapeless Victorian velvet bathrobe under a Victorian vicar velvet cloak...
Scarlett O'Hara did so much better with Tara's green velvet curtains. ;)

Taste is an individual thing, and perhaps the author of the article considered the ensemble to be elegant. IMO, Camilla looked wonderful at the premiere, though it would have been nicer if we got some full length shots of her.

HRH DoC lacks any fasion sense:whistling:

You are clearly entitled to your opinion, but here in the UK, there are a number of people who consider her elegant and well turned out at most times. She has got it wrong a few times, but I guess, most of us can confess to similar disasters.

The deeper colors and jewel tones are much more flattering to her coloring than the tan/grey numbers she often wears.

I find the duchess to be quite elegant for an average 60+ year old. Plus, she is always so earthy and cheerful. That excuses any unfortunate outfits for me.

Here is a full length pic of the Lovely Bones premiere dress.

On that note, I don't like this dress. I find the detailing to be quite odd and velvet in general is a hard material to pull off. I liked the purple velvet dress she wore a few years back and there was the deep red velvet dress Princess Mary wore that was beautiful, but otherwise, I'm not a fan. The neckline is nice however, and I like how the dress falls to the floor.

Wasn't a great fan of the Lovely Bones dress either. I think it lacked shape, and Camilla needs to wear things that have a waist. And usually I think she looks very appropriate (although Charles ought to let her buy more shoes!).

I remember a few weeks ago howls about Camilla wearing fur in Canada... just this past week I saw Crown Princess Mary in fur at the hunt and Princess Marie in Asia in a fur. Not a word of criticism was spoken about their furs, which leads me to suspect I'm right, different rules apply to Camilla.

I do think she would benefit from better underpinnings, to help hold the piece together. Where is Sam?

There are different rules for Camilla but I also think that most of the people who follow the British Royals have a different set of rules/agendas/beliefs than other royals. Both Marie and Mary have received a lot of flak for wearing fur in the past as well.

That being said, I think Camilla looked nice her fur. And I wish she would stay away from those big formal dresses that she sometimes wear. They do nothing for her.

I find the duchess to be quite elegant for an average 60+ year old. Plus, she is always so earthy and cheerful. That excuses any unfortunate outfits for me.

Here is a full length pic of the Lovely Bones premiere dress.

I'm not saying this dress is completely awful BUT it does have a sort of "halloween" touch to it

It has a definite "costume" vibe to it. While I find the outfits recently worn by the Duchess to be generally lovely, I have been a bit bored by them. She really needs to get all her clothes properly tailored. She has a pretty decent figure but her wardrobe does nothing for it really. And Shoes, Camilla has a great pair of gams and she needs some great shoes to show them off. I wish she would start wearing scarves more. I find they always had a classiness to a look.

Although I have seen the Duchess wear better dresses. I don't think that we are giving this one enough credit. I have a feeling this dress actually looks better in person, reason being, is that velvet photographs shiny and therefore looks costumey. I would love to see this one in person in daylight, I bet it is really pretty on Camilla.

Although I have seen the Duchess wear better dresses. I don't think that we are giving this one enough credit. I have a feeling this dress actually looks better in person, reason being, is that velvet photographs shiny and therefore looks costumey. I would love to see this one in person in daylight, I bet it is really pretty on Camilla.

I guess my views are similar to yours - the dress may not appear to be Camilla's best, but I think it is fine. It may well look much better in person than in the picture, but I thought the colours, the fabric and even the fit was just fine. This was the very dress that was worn for the gala dinner in Canada with the Governor General in Ottawa just a few days before the premiere, and I have to say Camilla looked lovely that evening. See weblink below.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/nm3yPwBmoqQ/Prince+Wales+Duchess+Cornwall+Visit+Canada/8UZbjls4FkU

I thought the hat that Camilla wore yesterday was a great one - very fitting, and co-incidentally, very similar to the bear skins' own hats. The Queen Mum, Jackie O and HM have all used hats like this - certainly a design classic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom