The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2011 - June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
too much white, i like her, specially the shoes and the hat.

Seeing that Kate's outfit consisted of a dress and a jacket, makes me like the outfit a little bit more. Though I still think the jacket should have been a light beige color.

Nice dress though.

I feel like I should like this outfit...but I just don't. The skirt is waay too short, even though she has great legs.

And in some photos with that hat and hairstyle, her face looks pretty, then it looks aged and drawn....:ohmy:

I didn't think it was too short. It probably looked short as the pictures that were taken were of her walking not standing still.

I like that Kate is still purchasing clothes from the high street stores. It sends the message that you don't have to break the bank to look good.

I didn't think it was too short. It probably looked short as the pictures that were taken were of her walking not standing still.

Yes, it was definetly longer when she was standing still :)

Did she even need the jacket?
I thought one newspaper described the weather as boiling hot.

I read the Reiss dress (the white version) has already sold out...the company should just give Catherine all their clothes! They can't pay for all this publicity.

@ Mirabel :previous:

The weather in London was strange that afternoon. It was 'boiling hot', but with a fierce gusty wind, so probably a cotton jacket was welcome.

The Duchess is doing fantastic things for the {suffering} middle range British fashion industry, as millions of women worldwide can afford these things. They see them and they buy them..... :D

Its the gents who must've been sweltering in morning coats.

I like Kate's Derby outfit. I said it on TFS and I'll say it here, but it reminded me of something the Duchess of Windsor would wear (severe hair/hat contrasted with a flowy feminine dress--her look circa 1930s-1940s). I think Kate almost got it right, but it's missing a snazzy brooch, earrings, bracelets--some accessory-- that would take the outfit from 'safe' to 'stand-out.'

The hat and hair are flawless though.

I thought the DOC looked stunning. As for the York girls ....as per usual, imo, just short of disaster. Eugenie's clothes just never seem to fit correctly.

I have to wonder if their mother is their image advisor.......:ermm:

I loved the white outfitt on her. She looked great.
Nice to see her with her hair up again.

I like the dress and white is a lovely colour for Catherine, but what I don't like is the way she is always showing her ring...the way she puts her hand always on the top of the other, the way she handle the purse, jsut to show more and more her ring...it seams that in all photos whe is showing her ring...she wants to show it too much in my opinion...

I like the dress and white is a lovely colour for Catherine, but what I don't like is the way she is always showing her ring...the way she puts her hand always on the top of the other, the way she handle the purse, jsut to show more and more her ring...it seams that in all photos whe is showing her ring...she wants to show it too much in my opinion...
now that you mention it, hmm you are right!

I thought the DOC looked stunning. As for the York girls ....as per usual, imo, just short of disaster. Eugenie's clothes just never seem to fit correctly.
Yes I really feel bad for them, it's not as if they don't have acess to money or are bogged down with rearing children

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks beautiful! The skirt could have been just a little longer, but her legs are gorgeous. Love this outfit!

Yes, I agree with this point, Emmily. It could have been a bit longer, but she really has great legs. I never realized that as much as I did when she wore this outfit. Great shoes, too.

All in all Kate looked fine and a big thumbs up from my side for the UPDO!!! :flowers: I'm a bit undecided about the hat - I guess I liked it, though.

now that you mention it, hmm you are right!

It's not just the engagement ring she's showing now, of course - although we can not really see the wedding ring very good.

Well, it's another lovely ensemble from the Duchess of Cambridge and I think it's very chic - the little hat is very pretty and although I somehow think a brimed hat would look lovely on her, I do like this style for her. Her features are very strong so the balance between being chic and pretty with being quite bold is a delicate one. I agree that the skirt of her outfit is a little too short, although it could simply be that her legs are just too darn long!!!

I really do not see anything wrong in her ring being very visible. In no time, she will have substantially more jewellery on display - the correct smattering of braclets, necklaces and brooches will soon start to appear, and people will start to focus a lot less on the ring.

With regard to how Catherine is holding her hands and apparently sort of showing off her rings too much, this hand positioning is quite a natural one when you cannot just stuff your hands on your pockets at a formal engagement. The fact that her left hand is over her right hand is also quite a natural thing to do as it is more comfortable when wearing a large ring - she'd end up with a blister if she did it the other way around!!

I think if she had worn her hair down with that rather severe little hat AND lowered her skirt length at least two or three inches, I'd be raving about her appearance.

Otherwise?

I think it's a miss.:sad:

BTW...if I was wearing such an historic piece of jewelry as that sapphire/diamond ring, I'd waive it around too!

Last edited:
WEll, I absolutely H.A.T.E. her hair being up like that. That hat and her hair being styled that way not only aged her, but it was to severe, to harsh.
Her outfit was nice and soft, floaty. Love it. the length of the skirt was fine. she is only in her late 20's! Plenty of time to come for longer skirts. It all went together very nicely. But the hair needed either some soft tendrils on the side, or just styled differently.
I also would have worn some nice pearl earrings rather than the dangely (sp?) ones you had to look for to see. You can never go wrong with pearl studs.
I also don't think she is showing of her ring with the way she is holding her hands. It looks more feminine when she holds her clutch this way as opposed to tucking the clutch under her underarm, and having her arms/hands by her sides.

Ha ha .... we all have our opinions. I thought her hair looked lovely that way and was perfect for the hat she was wearing. I am curious to see her in a hat with a brim which I think will also look terrific. She is still young so I think the dress length is fine and is probably a function of her long legs (I'm jealous). Certainly, if the York girls can wear their skirts as short as they do with their figures then the DOC is just fine. I just don't want her to start automatically adding length to her clothes and looking dowdy.

No, I don't want her to cover up her legs...along with her hair they are her best asset. :)

But if the skirt had fallen just above the knee, it would have been perfect imo.

When I first saw a photo of her from the front the wind was blowing the skirt against her thighs...and I could have sworn she was wearing SHORTS
to the Derby! :eek:

UPDATED: It’s Another Reiss Dress for Kate at the Epsom Derby + LK Bennett Accessories » What Kate Wore

What Kate Wore-

I guess it's a Reis dress and sweater .....explains why it didn't seem to match

I like the dress, and I think her hair looks lovely up like that, but I don't like the cardigan/jacket fastened - it just doesn't look right somehow! Would look a lot more flattering I think if you could see the top of the dress underneath. Unless it was a cold day?:unsure:

I also don't think she is showing of her ring with the way she is holding her hands. It looks more feminine when she holds her clutch this way as opposed to tucking the clutch under her underarm, and having her arms/hands by her sides.

I agree, but it makes her demure and stiff, like Japanese royal women (they hold the cluth the same way).

Last edited:
Well, it's another lovely ensemble from the Duchess of Cambridge and I think it's very chic - the little hat is very pretty and although I somehow think a brimed hat would look lovely on her, I do like this style for her. Her features are very strong so the balance between being chic and pretty with being quite bold is a delicate one. I agree that the skirt of her outfit is a little too short, although it could simply be that her legs are just too darn long!!!

I agree so much about the length of the skirt. Is there a dress-code to the event as there is at Ascot? I know at that event, skirts must fall to the knee. Although exceptions appear to have been made for the York girls in the past. I also don't like the fake tan on her as it is quite clearly not real but at least she is not tanning that much in real life. (I hope.)

She did match though. :flowers: I see progress.

As for the ring she does always look like she is showing it off with the whole one hand on top of the other pose.

She also doesn't pay that much attention to the press as her dress was made by Reiss. Which was the center of the whole sweat-shop fiasco.

I like Kate's Derby outfit. I said it on TFS and I'll say it here, but it reminded me of something the Duchess of Windsor would wear (severe hair/hat contrasted with a flowy feminine dress--her look circa 1930s-1940s). I think Kate almost got it right, but it's missing a snazzy brooch, earrings, bracelets--some accessory-- that would take the outfit from 'safe' to 'stand-out.'

The hat and hair are flawless though.

I agree with you. The outfit was crying out for a brooch.
Love the hair and hat. Her super thin figure also remind of the Duchess of Windsor

but what I don't like is the way she is always showing her ring...the way she puts her hand always on the top of the other, the way she handle the purse, jsut to show more and more her ring...it seams that in all photos whe is showing her ring...she wants to show it too much in my opinion...

If you look at Catherine's pictures from before her engagement/marriage, you will notice that she holds her hands in exactly the same way as she does now. I think this is a habit that she has always had. Of course, it is much more noticeable now that she has that sparkler on her finger!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom