The Duchess of Cambridge's Daytime Fashion Part 1: May 2011 - June 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like her hair up!But I dont like the outfit.

Good to see Catherine continue to use high street labels in her formal elegant wear - well done LK Bennett and Reiss. I hear there is a lot of interest in these two brands in the US now. Go forth and shop there, our American friends. Help the British economy, and those of the various countries from where our businesses source product.

Just wish Kate would keep her hands off the eyeliner *yellp*

Just wish Kate would keep her hands off the eyeliner *yellp*

We all do :p!

What makes me wonder is that apparently she was teach by a friend who is a make up artist. Why wouldn't she tell her that it is not flattering?
or maybe she did and Catherine didn't listen.
Her mother and sister do the same, Pity!
Someone here at the TRF did a photoshop of her with a softer eyeline and it looked so much better. Maybe we should send the image to Clarence House :p

Last edited:
If they're all wearing the eyeliner, then it must be fashionable. Fashionable has nothing to do with flattering.

I like Kate's style, but cringe at her eyeliner! I notice she's been doing the same thing for years though, if that makes any difference. I had this vision that on April 29 she'd get her make-up done professionally and think, "wow, I look so good without all that black gunk lining my eyes!" and never wear it again. Alas, she arrived to the Abbey (supposedly doing her own make-up) and my dreams were dashed. It just bugs me so much!

I agre wioth regard to the eyeliner am not sure what is going on and amny will say William must like it and so on.... but it os dated and unflattering and the wedding day I could not believe she did the same thing thanks for saying so Super Baroness I have said so a few times and been shot down but I say it again YUK IMO

I've never read an article criticizing her eyeliner habit so maybe no one's even told her it's not that attractive, especially if her sister and mom favor the look too. She is very pretty and can of course do her makeup anyway she wants but with a soft eyeliner as she gets older it'll be all that much more appealing.......

Is it really that important?

Perhaps she (like many women) does not wish to let some stranger loose on her eyes.

It's interesting, because we all can (and do!) differ about whether a certain color is good or not, a certain style of dress or hat, a certain hairstyle, etc., and there are as many differing opinions as there are numbers of us, but the eyeliner issue is one that many, if not most, of us agree upon.

I pay attention to the make up trends of entertainment industry celebrities and, while heavy eyeliner seems always to be in style, the liquid "art liner" types seem not to be used so much anymore. They have given way to smoky, softened pencil or powdered liners. It surprises me that Kate and her sister/Mom have not at least tried these more on-trend looks, which are far more flattering. In an otherwise perfect wedding with a perfect dress, the eyeliner harshened some of her close-ups and I shudder to think how it would have looked in person...

Just one woman's opinion!

I read that she took makeup tips from Bobbi Brown before the wedding. Brown was quoted as saying that she thought Kate did a perfect job with her wedding makeup and she wouldn't have changed a thing.

Well, I love Bobbi Brown's products and her technique...(I swear by her under eye concealer!! :whistling:) ...BUT while in some photos Kate's face looks exquisite, in others the effect is a tad harsh.

Especially with her weight loss dragging her features downward, the heavy eyeliner can be ageing.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the majority and say the eyeliner needs to take a rest.

Do we know how is she WITHOUT eyeliner?? Maybe it suits her a lot.

Generally she is very well groomed always, i like her style.

I believe she has been seen a couple of time without the eyeliner and her eyes have no definition IMO. They kind of blend in with her face. Which is what eyes are supposed to do:whistling: But some people when they aren't wearing eyeliner have some kind of color/definition. That isn't the case IMO.

In Catherine's in case, it could be 1) IMO she is seen with the eyeliner so frequently that it just looks weird 2) maybe her naked eye isn't the normal normal naked eye or 3) its the style I have noticed that a significant amount of women (not all just enough) wear a lot of eyeliner as well or 4) that might be the one feature that Catherine is sensitive about and she over compensates. I think most women have an area of their body that they dislike and try to change or hide. For example, I don't wear eyeliner because I think it makes my eyes look small. Maybe Catherine wears it because it brings definition to her eyes. Either way, I think she should lighten it a bit.

I've never read an article criticizing her eyeliner habit so maybe no one's even told her it's not that attractive, especially if her sister and mom favor the look too. She is very pretty and can of course do her makeup anyway she wants but with a soft eyeliner as she gets older it'll be all that much more appealing.......

I agree, I don't think the media have ever made mention of her make-up and of-course if it really was a problem every tabloid in the land would have started to call her panda-eyes long ago - so long as Catherine doesn't start taking make-up lessons from Lady Gaga!! I do think the current vogue is for heavy eye make-up, but fashions change and I am sure her make-up will change with it.

I have seen her without the liner...her eyes are very large and very pretty, but rather round. But I think she uses the liner go give them more definition..not a bad thing but a skilled makeup artist could show her how to do it without the heavy liner.

I am surprised Bobbi Brown's dream team haven't already done it.

Zonk said:
In Catherine's in case, it could be 1) IMO she is seen with the eyeliner so frequently that it just looks weird 2) maybe her naked eye isn't the normal normal naked eye or 3) its the style I have noticed that a significant amount of women (not all just enough) wear a lot of eyeliner as well or 4) that might be the one feature that Catherine is sensitive about and she over compensates. I think most women have an area of their body that they dislike and try to change or hide. For example, I don't wear eyeliner because I think it makes my eyes look small. Maybe Catherine wears it because it brings definition to her eyes. Either way, I think she should lighten it a bit.

True- it's not the eyeliner per say it's that its so heavy, so if she did it with a bit of a lighter hand I bet her eyes would stand out even more and look bigger!

Catherine has heavy upper eyelids, and I suspect that that is the reason why she feels the need to define her eyes with eyeliner every single time. The main problem with having such heavy, almost chunky, eyelids is that it makes your eyes look droopy/sleepy all the time, particularly in pictures. I know all about it because I have the same problem. Only defining my eyes with strategically applied makeup seems to help. Now imagine someone like Catherine, who is photographed every time she leaves the house!!! Also, her sister Pippa has the same problem, albeit to a lesser extent.
Given her resources and the access she has to the make up artist(s) of her choice, I'm sure she has played with different makeup styles before settling on her current preferred style of eye makeup. At least that way she can control the features she is unhappy about. For all we know, she could look a lot less attractive without it. Let's give the poor girl and her heavy lids a break.

She used/uses for her wedding Bobbi Brown in a 'gel liner' I bought it ..Its ok,,Im late 50's..so....it is a thicker liner..'art liner' is awe:whistling:some..Lighter and def better colors..

And I did buy her wedding BB blush and lipstick.. I love the Lipstick...I use to use BB cosmetics years ago and stopped..till now..:)

jba said:
Given her resources and the access she has to the make up artist(s) of her choice, I'm sure she has played with different makeup styles before settling on her current preferred style of eye makeup. At least that way she can control the features she is unhappy about. For all we know, she could look a lot less attractive without it. .

But let's remember the eyeliner has been going on since before they were engaged or married...ie before she had all these resources. Obviously it's her prefered look, since we've see a few pics of her without it (younger, on vacation) we can know she looks very nice without it too....

Could it be possible that it's tattooed eyeliner? I always felt very strange that she choose to do the wedding make-up herself - seems like she do not want others to see her w/o makeup in close proximity.

^William and Kate are attending the ARK Gala dinner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom