The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 8: March 2017 - November 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I look her dress tonight great colour , I like top part more than the bottom bit but she looked fab tonight .

Duchess was fantastic last night!!

I think I would like this dress more if the fabric were more flowing and softer. To me it would give it better movement. Taffetta is too stiff for this type of dress.

I liked the color and top part of the dress but I disliked the "mermaid" bottom. I think with this kind of crinkled look, simple bottom would have looked much better. Liked that it had a cleavage and she could wear that wonderful necklace!

Great jewels but this dress ... horrible fabric (..) So much money, so little taste.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sometimes things don't hit me right away and after I mull it over for a while, I get the light bulb moment so here goes....

When I actually first opened this link and looked at the picture (albeit very quickly), my first thought was that this could be an old oil painting hanging in Windsor Castle somewhere and not actually Kate in a photograph.

Perhaps that was the idea. A kind of dated looking dress to amplify the elegance of the jewelry that she wore? I dunno. I just don't think it worked whatever they were trying to do.

Hm, it seems, I am the only one, who likes the dress! I think, she is looking great in it. Wonderful ICE BLUE, I like the mermaid style and the fabric (we have autumn now, time for thicker material), it´s brave and it suits her very well!

Jewels fitting phantastic together!

BYe Bine

I thought Kate looked magnificent in that dress, so elegant, so statuesque...
The ruched fabric- are we sure it’s actually taffeta rather than something more substantial- reminded me of the folding rendered in marble on a Greek statue. And the color was especially lovely on her.

Love the jewels. Not the dress, sorry, but Kate looks beautiful!!!

Hm, it seems, I am the only one, who likes the dress! I think, she is looking great in it. Wonderful ICE BLUE, I like the mermaid style and the fabric (we have autumn now, time for thicker material), it´s brave and it suits her very well!

BYe Bine

There's about 15 or so of us here who like it..you aren't alone!

LaRae

I've looked at all the photos I could find, and watched the video, and my problem with the dress is not that it doesn't suit her, it does, and Catherine looks beautiful. It's not that I think the mermaid shape is terrible or outdated, because it's not--lots of mermaid wedding gowns and formal gowns around--and Catherine has the figure to rock the shape. The color is wonderful on her, and the neckline looks great.

It's the fussiness. All the crinkly fabric, and pleating and ruching and wrinkles. As someone said above, if it were chiffon, or a softer fabric, or if it had less stuff going on I think it would be a much better dress.

If it were chiffon or a soft fabric etc then you wouldn't get the same effect which is rather the point. It wasn't that she didn't have other options. This was the material chosen to make the fit what it is.

LaRae

If it were chiffon or a soft fabric etc then you wouldn't get the same effect which is rather the point. It wasn't that she didn't have other options. This was the material chosen to make the fit what it is.

LaRae

I agree, but that is also what I see as the problem with the way it looks. If there had been a little more restraint in the crinkly-wrinkly effect I would have liked it better. Just a style preference.

It's the fussiness. All the crinkly fabric, and pleating and ruching and wrinkles. As someone said above, if it were chiffon, or a softer fabric, or if it had less stuff going on I think it would be a much better dress.

That’s one of the reasons I like the dress: the crinkly fabric. It makes the dress more interesting imo.

I think it's one of the better dresses she's worn, superior to the Marchesa dress from last year which didn't suit her nearly as well.

I was actually hoping for a repeat of the ice blue sparkling dress she wore in Germany/Poland, which I loved...not sure she will ever wear it again.

LaRae

I love the color but if the dress had been similar to the one she wore in Oslo recently it had been a topper. So its a miss for me.

Catherine can wear this dress. (..)

BYe Bine

You are not the only one. I LOVE it.

Kate's dress reminded me of Diana's blue velvet Travolta dance dress from the 80s. I think if the dress were in a different fabric it would have been better. The wrinkled and shiny material is a little to much. I though her hair looked lovely and the jewels were stunning. Lovely from the waist up accept for that shoulder rosette IMO.

Last edited:
I think I like it from the waist up, despite the fabric. But the bottom half is just a rumpled, bumpy mess, in large part because of the fabric choice.

The Duchess' look was stunning. The dress fit her perfectly, the fabric was luxurious, her tiara hair was perfection. I wasn't sure that I liked the dress colour, but really that is a minor issue as she looks great. In my opinion, it was fashionable, if slightly conservative formal wear and very suitable for a State dinner. It looks like there was a bit of a train. I don't understand all of the criticism, but then, we each have a right to our opinion.

I struggled with this look and took a full day to process it.

Hem it properly and I give it a thumbs up. I have no idea who is whispering in royal ears that hems dragging inches on the ground are very fashionable just now... but I want to give those persons a chewing out.

I really do love it all the way to the fishtail. Gosh it fits and on most people would look too tight and puffy, but not on George's Mom who has been doing some yoga or something! And that color really is very princess-ish even if I think she leans a bit too much on long and pale blue for evening. She looks good in it.

And while I think the fishtail a bit too full and WAAAAAAAAAAY too long, I can live with it if it just gets hemmed. Stepping on the front of your dress is never a good look.

As always posts and comments about weight have been removed. Thank you for your understanding!

I absolutely loved Kate's dress....many here did not but I thought it was one of her best looks EVER. The jewelry worked perfectly with the look and color.

(..)

Posts about the Duchess of Sussex as well as posts and comments comparing the Duchess of Sussex with the Duchess of Cambridge have been removed. Please stay on topic of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom