The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 7: April 2016 - February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Was the weather unexpectedly chilly? This almost seems like she didn't expect to need to wear a coat and just grabbed one last minute

Yes the temperatures have been very chilly in the evenings in the last few days. I think your explanation is probably the most likely scenario. The Queen and Camilla seem to have solved this dilemma more successfully. Incidentally the Queen's outfit is described as "sea green" , so the red, white and blue theory , although a nice idea, doesn't hold.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The lady sitting between Charles and Andrew is wearing red.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cij13h3WwAAgMJh.jpg

I'm not a fashion expert, but looking at the front row, Camilla and The Queen stand out just as much as Catherine. Only the Landgrave's wife is wearing black. I think they all look lovely.

Last edited:
The lady sitting between Charles and Andrew is wearing red.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cij13h3WwAAgMJh.jpg

I'm not a fashion expert, but looking at the front row, Camilla and The Queen stand out just as much as Catherine. Only the Langrave's wife is wearing black. I think they all look lovely.

I suppose it's possible that it's a colour-perception thing, but to me, and, I think, to the majority of people, that vibrant red Kate's wearing is an attention-seeking colour that screams "Look At Me, I'm powerful and important and/or hoping to turn you on", whereas the white of Camilla's dress and turquoise of HM's never could.

Last edited:
I don't know about the 'majority of people'. It's the usual people.

The lady next to Charles is wearing red, and for me the white of Camilla's dress stands out against the black more the Catherine's red.

Catherine can wear any colour and she stands out. She's the most photographed member of the family. The focus is always on her

Personally I can't put too much stock in Catherine's choice to wear red - analysing all the possibilities is just speculative and time-consuming.

As for the jacket itself, I would have preferred an elegant cape or wrap!

I don't know about the 'majority of people'. It's the usual people.

The lady next to Charles is wearing red, and for me the white of Camilla's dress stands out against the black more the Catherine's red.

Catherine can wear any colour and she stands out. She's the most photographed member of the family. The focus is always on her

Whoa! This really has nothing to do with Kate. This is not an attack on her or her choices. However, since she studied art history for four years, I sincerely hope that she would have picked up some knowledge of the impact of that bright blood red colour on the human psyche and emotions. I suppose it's possible she has that red/green colour blindness though and doesn't perceive it the same way other people do.

Bright red is the colour of lust, power, dominance, danger, and numerous other responses in humans and other animals, and this is the reason politicians wear red ties. Google it.

If she did choose to wear it so she would stand out, it was poor form on her part to do that at her husband's grandmother's 90th birthday celebrations when Elizabeth should be the focal point.

That outift was a total miss. Even the so called fashion blogs claimed it. The swing jacket was lovely but that dress was awful, and paired with the red jacket it was too much.

The dress itself looks very nice so is the jacket but together it didn't work. The dress is too dressy for such a daytime/plain jacket. Something like a wrap would've been so much nicer.

Whoa! This really has nothing to do with Kate. This is not an attack on her or her choices. However, since she studied art history for four years, I sincerely hope that she would have picked up some knowledge of the impact of that bright blood red colour on the human psyche and emotions. I suppose it's possible she has that red/green colour blindness though and doesn't perceive it the same way other people do.

Bright red is the colour of lust, power, dominance, danger, and numerous other responses in humans and other animals, and this is the reason politicians wear red ties. Google it.

If she did choose to wear it so she would stand out, it was poor form on her part to do that at her husband's grandmother's 90th birthday celebrations when Elizabeth should be the focal point.

And what message was Camilla trying to convey in white...? ;)

Again, Kate doesn't have to wear certain colours to stand out. Everywhere she goes, the press follows. She was two seats away from the Queen.

I'm wearing a red wind breaker today, not because I'm trying to convey coded messages of lust, power and domination, but because I like the colour.

This has to be one of her ugliest outfits ever. The coat doesn't match with her hair and the dress at all. She would have looked much better with a simple, elegant shawl or as others suggested, a warmer dress.

This is such a pity because her white lace dress is really pretty and I'm sure she looked great in it. Too bad she hid it under the ugly jacket who doesn't match anything she wore at that night.

I love the color of the jacket, even the style is nice. Doesn't go with the dress (what I can see of it)...but I'm guessing she went with wanting to be warm as opposed to any attempt to hide anything being speculated about. Besides we all know due to her past illnesses associated with this condition, it can't be hidden very long. We'll know about it before it's even visible.

LaRae

The entire look is weird. I don't understand it. :ermm:

I really do not understand this outfit. A hidden lace dress and a jacket. Of course it might be chilly outside, but in this case, the red jacket could be accepted with something else inside. Both items are non matching. Catherine is a woman which appears with a strapless gown in December, or 3/4 sleep sleeves in February even for a while, it is cold.

It was chilly outside and she probably picked up a jacket at the last minute.
I think she looked totally fine.

Someone is a bit early for the Christmas party..

That has to be the ugliest jacket she owns.

Curious choice; lace sleeves protruding from the coat and all; very mixed effect.

it looked very miss matched. the coat did not work for this dress.
like the updo though

It was chilly outside and she probably picked up a jacket at the last minute.
I think she looked totally fine.

I think so too; def looked last minute adjustment. would love to see pictures from the reception and see the full dress. Then she probably expected to just use the shawl during the show and it was too cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure it'll look good with another outfit, but it's not for this one.

I like the jacket, alot. I like the dress. I don't like it together. It's not "offensively bad" per se, just doesn't look pulled together enough :) Oh well, if this is the worst she does she has pretty high standards!!

I think no on will choose a last minute jacket for this event...the red coat doesn't match the whole outfit indeed but it is a very brillant coat because of the colour...but it is very uggly with that kind of dress...

After watching the video of the celebration, which I highly recommend, it seems pretty obvious to me that she was going for a nod to the Windsor suits that her husband and bil wearing

I agree with some that the jacket was a nod to the Windsor's but I disagree it was last minute. It was a good nod to them and since it was an outdoor event, the jacket seems to be one of the first to be chosen for such an event to stay warm.

Unfortunately it was not the right choice for that dress.

And what message was Camilla trying to convey in white...? ;)

Catherine is in red and white.
Camilla is in cream.

This is the month of May and Camilla is now wearing her spring clothes. They are nearly all cream colored. (She does not have much color section in her clothes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom