The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 7: April 2016 - February 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Preen always has stunning designs and this really works for her. Sleek, not too fussy but still makes a statement.

beautiful dress, she looks great. With her hair up, just adds to the overall great look.

nice dress but for me needs a belt

Great look on her and nice updo. Agree,that the brooch needed better placement

That must be an Alberta thing. Here in Ontario, we wear red whenever we feel like it. (I'm wearing it today, actually!)

I loved the look last night, though I'm far from sold on those earrings.

That shade of red is spectacular on Kate. I would have preferred a different pair of earrings also.

Canadian to the core. Wore red today. Likely will wear red again later this week. Wear bright red lipstick often.

After looking at this look, I would've preferred black pumps or something different, her shoes tend to look the same for daytime and evening time. There are so many nice, classic shoe styles that can be worn, yet she tends to wear the most boring.

That must be an Alberta thing. Here in Ontario, we wear red whenever we feel like it. (I'm wearing it today, actually!)

I loved the look last night, though I'm far from sold on those earrings.

Really here in Alberta it's illegal :ROFLMAO:

My point is she is going for a theme. Instead of wearing local designers, she is trying to represent our country in theme. Her wearing the flag colours and maple leafs screams Canada day, when people paint maple leafs on their faces and wear red. The point is Canadians don't go walking around in red all year as some uniform. If she wants to actually show some respect or interest in our country, wear our designers.

I wear red all the time. I wear it because I like the color. No because I am wanting to look like a walking flag. That is the difference,

Last edited:

My point is she is going for a theme. Instead of wearing local designers, she is trying to represent our country in theme. Her wearing the flag colours and maple leafs screams Canada day, when people paint maple leafs on their faces and wear red. The point is Canadians don't go walking around in red all year as some uniform. If she wants to actually show some respect or interest in our country, wear our designers.

I wear red all the time. I wear it because I like the color. No because I am wanting to look like a walking flag. That is the difference,

She wears red when not in Canada too- and the McQueen dress was hardly walking flag?

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Well, you wearing your own stuff privately is something different than the Duchess wearing specific clothes during a representative tour :whistling:

I love this dress - she always looks great. But why, oh, why isn´t it just not possible to wear a tiara for a visit in a Commonwealth country...?!?

Great cocktail dress on Kate - she really rocks the red and the old school 1950s flare. But change the shoes - neither them or the bag are the right shade or texture of red to work with this dress - she would have been better in evening sandals or black to create a contrast. But overall one of Kate's best looks this year.

Well, you wearing your own stuff privately is something different than the Duchess wearing specific clothes during a representative tour :whistling:

I love this dress - she always looks great. But why, oh, why isn´t it just not possible to wear a tiara for a visit in a Commonwealth country...?!?

I think if William was Prince of Wales we might have seen a tiara, but since William isn't the heir yet, we don't see it. Diana had many opportunities to wear Tiaras. So either it was the time or it was partly because Charles was the heir. Hard to really know. It seems like tiara wearing is on the decline.

She wears red when not in Canada too- and the McQueen dress was hardly walking flag?

I agree and there are several photos in the various Kate fashion threads to show that she has worn the color frequently while at home and abroad.

When paired with maple leaf accessories yes it reads a flag. Her blue dress with the maple leaf hat and maple leaf pin were a nod to the province and to our flag. She does the themes thing at home too. How often foes she wear nautical clothes to water events? In India we saw it with the heavy Indian inspired prints.

I am not keen on the poppy dress Kate wore to the Olympians reception!

I know it's patriotic, but I just don't like it.

I like that she takes chances and explore. It was a nice, neat and simply look for a palace engagement.

I am not keen on the poppy dress Kate wore to the Olympians reception!

I know it's patriotic, but I just don't like it.

I am not keen on the print either

The Duchess returned to one of her favourite designers, Alexander McQueen, for the occasion, looking patriotic in a poppy print dress, which she accessorised with matching scarlet suede heels and a clutch bag.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/18/20/397F1FD800000578-3848772-image-a-9_1476819263331.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/18/21/397F3C4E00000578-3848772-image-a-35_1476821268562.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/18/19/397EA0FB00000578-3848772-image-a-78_1476816323083.jpg

I am not keen on the print either

The Duchess returned to one of her favourite designers, Alexander McQueen, for the occasion, looking patriotic in a poppy print dress, which she accessorised with matching scarlet suede heels and a clutch bag.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/18/20/397F1FD800000578-3848772-image-a-9_1476819263331.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/18/21/397F3C4E00000578-3848772-image-a-35_1476821268562.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/10/18/19/397EA0FB00000578-3848772-image-a-78_1476816323083.jpg

I love the style but not the print.

I love the style but not the print.
Same. The print is not horrible, just meh. I would like it to have been less symmetrical and a bit bolder maybe. BUt the cut and flow and draping of the dress is very elegant.

I really don't like this dress. I dislike both the print & the styling on her. I don't think heavy/large prints suit her- given most things do, it is nice to know that she doesn't look good in absolutely everything :). it's a personal opinion, I know, but I can't put my finger on why I think she can't carry these designs off. Yet, I really liked her Indian wardrobe where she wore some intricate patterned fabrics, I think because they were more delicately drawn designs.
Anyway, I did like her coloured shoes for this engagement!

The poppy dress reminds me of a nightgown. It doesn't do Catherine any favors.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I have to agree with Daria. The style reminds me of a nightgown :ermm:

The print is awkward and not good. Kind of looks like she took poppy stickers and stuck them on her dress. The print doesn't look like it belongs. :sad: and again back to the loose curls. She keeps getting up my hopes with a glimpse of the gorgeous updos from Canada but then they disappear

The flowers don't even match in the seams! That kills me, couldn't they use a li title more material to do that? And, as someone else mentioned,,the print is too symmetrical. Nice cut though and are those sequins on it? If so I would like it better.

i wouldn't say the poppy dress was a before and after affair. it's okay, nothing wrong with it. but being mcqueen and this being kate, i guess i expect the bar to be higher. :(

Reminds me of a nightgowns robe in some way. I think it's the distance of each print. The length is nice for a change, the pumps are too boring. Moreover, this does not look like an Alexander McQueen creation at all.

Last edited:
:previous:to be honest I find both dresses have a similar style and feel like a night gown. Probably why the Beulah dress was not my favourite on the tour. But I feel the color and far more subtle print more attractive than this new poppy dress, and could be a good way to recycle

I honestly don't know what to make of this dress. It is not full enough to make it a ballerina length cocktail gown and it is too short to be an evening gown. To be honest, if that were no enough, I think it looks like a nightie and the loose hair just reinforces that perception. Perhaps if she had worn an updo it would have lent the dress some gravitas, but she didn't. All in all, it just looks odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom