The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Heir Apparent

If it's the same style I'm sure it looked great on her!

LaRae

Old 11-22-2016, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

It looked pretty, but why get the same dress, even in a different color?
Try for something different!
There's no reason she couldn't have worn the red one, if she was determined to wear that dress.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree, beautiful dress, but I don't see any reason to have two in different colors. She looked sensational in the red, she could have easily worn it tonight.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:23 PM
Nobility

I agree. It's a beautiful dress, gorgeous cut and looks fab on her. I think she should have worn the red one, in part because as others have said, why have two of the exact same dress? Also, since this was an event for young people, and it's the holiday season, I like a bright color rather than black, and the red would have been perfect. That said, I do love the belt and earrings. Oh and the shoes...the shoes!!!!
Old 11-22-2016, 04:40 PM
Courtier

I don't see the big deal about owning a dress in two colors.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Me either. Most people when they find a shoe, skirt, dress, whatever that they really like and that fit them great, they buy it in a few colours. I don't see any issue with it what so ever. She looks splendid!
Old 11-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
I agree. Personally, I have purchased several items of clothing in different colors. Sometimes you find particular item of clothing that you love....the fit, the texture, the way it looks on you, its comfortable to wear, it hides things, the price is right and you think....why not get a different color so you can enhance your wardrobe. And let's face it...a black cocktail evening dress is always a staple in anyone's wardrobe. The only thing Kate probably shouldn't have done is worn it so closely to the date she wore the red dress.

Either way its not like Kate doesn't have enough engagements that both dresses won't get worn.

Old 11-22-2016, 06:32 PM
Heir Apparent

We aren't talking Kate smith who is shopping on a budget and found a good dress on a good price and bought a few shades, or someone with body issues who found something that fit finally. Kate has plenty of black cocktail dresses, and we know she us to duscount shopping in bulk in multiple colors
Old 11-22-2016, 06:56 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I don't see the point in having 2 evening dresses just in different colours - for day wear it is something different but these Preen dresses whilst being lovely it seems extravagant.
I do love her new Prada shoes.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Well, whatever on the two dresses in one color thing, I prefer the red! The black is a bit, meh! Not bad, just meh.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:18 PM
Nobility

She looks great. Love the dress, shoes, earrings. Very nice. It's a lovely dress. I get wanting it in 2 colors. I do that with shoes, tops, pants, etc. If I had as many evening events as she does, I'd probably duplicate dresses too.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin9 View Post
She looks great. Love the dress, shoes, earrings. Very nice. It's a lovely dress. I get wanting it in 2 colors. I do that with shoes, tops, pants, etc. If I had as many evening events as she does, I'd probably duplicate dresses too.
Well, and I don't want to drag us off topic, but the Queen wears virtually the same dress, in a different fabric, for every appearance.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Kate has plenty of black cocktail dresses, and we know she us to duscount shopping in bulk in multiple colors
Does she though? She's got the black dress from 2012 for the Team GB Reception (though I'm not entirely sure I'd classify it as a cocktail dress), the dress from the SportsBall in 2013, the black dress from New Zealand, the odd black dress from the Action on Addiction evening in 2014, the black lace dress she wore while pregnant in 2014, the black lace dress from the Festival of Remembrance in 2014, and now this. (I probably missed something from this year because I haven't worked on my Kate in 2016 posts in a while)

So that's 7 cocktail dresses. Now really what I'd call plenty, especially for someone in her position. Meanwhile, look at Letizia who has a new black dress every month it seems like.

I'm going to add my voice to those who don't mind having the same dress in two colors. Especially because I prefer the black version.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:15 PM
Heir Apparent

If you are gonna have the same dress in multiple colors...that one is the one to do it with. Gorgeous dress and it suits her very well.

I haven't seen a good pic of the black yet...anyone got a link?

LaRae
Old 11-22-2016, 09:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post
Does she though? She's got the black dress from 2012 for the Team GB Reception (though I'm not entirely sure I'd classify it as a cocktail dress), the dress from the SportsBall in 2013, the black dress from New Zealand, the odd black dress from the Action on Addiction evening in 2014, the black lace dress she wore while pregnant in 2014, the black lace dress from the Festival of Remembrance in 2014, and now this. (I probably missed something from this year because I haven't worked on my Kate in 2016 posts in a while)

So that's 7 cocktail dresses. Now really what I'd call plenty, especially for someone in her position. Meanwhile, look at Letizia who has a new black dress every month it seems like.

I'm going to add my voice to those who don't mind having the same dress in two colors. Especially because I prefer the black version.
Nice research. This one looks quite different from the other options you've shown, so I can see why she would want it.
Old 11-22-2016, 10:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

I have no problem with her having the same dress in two colours but I think perhaps it shows her interest in clothes/ fashion isn't huge. I agree with an earlier post which suggested that the brighter colour would have been better for an event with young children.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 11-22-2016, 10:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GömdNatt View Post

Thanks for all the looks at her black cocktail dresses, some of them have thankfully not been repeated.
This one is nice, but as the neckline is the interest, I would have preferred her hair up. I don't think black is her best color, though the black lace seems nice on her in general.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:05 AM
Moderator Emeritus
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Full view 1 ** Full view 2

The dress is lovely and the belt and pumps are nice with the look IMO but I don't understand why she needs two exact same dresses in different colors when the previous one (red) can be worn for an evening event. I think it's just too boring and lack of imagination/style.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:11 AM
Heir Apparent

My goodness I absolutely love that! The detail piece in the center (belt?)...is beautiful too!

LaRae

Love her shoes too!

LaRae
Old 11-23-2016, 12:37 AM
Majesty

I don't like the belt but the dress is very beautiful. Very elegant.

Closed Thread

Tags
the duchess of cambridge, the duchess of cambridge eveningwear