The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 6: October 2015 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't realise fashion threads were so negative. I don't post in other threads or follow other royals' fashion but I think I will start. It must be quite the gauntlet to run
I can assure you Rudolph that they are not typically negative. There are only a few universally :eek: on the TRF fashion threads which include: Queen Margrethe's "golden poppies," the bows on Princess Mabel's wedding gown, Queen Sonja's "Big Bird" gown come to mind, the red/pink/orange pants worn by some of our royal gentlemen.;)

Otherwise they are often just about the clothing, accessories or shoes worn by the royals we follow.

I love the color on the gown, but this isn't my favorite that she's worn. For this event I don't mind that her hair is down.

She looked "blah" for me here. Not good not bad. She is hidden behind her hair.

I really wish it was possible to have a sabbatical on the long hair complaints.

I know what you mean, it does get old!

It's obvious that she likes her hair that way, and she isn't going to change, so we should just deal with it, imo.

As for the dress, it isn't one of her best looks, but she probably wanted to cover up, so it is an appropriate choice, if not very exciting.

An "elegant slouch" can be the mark of a tasteful and graceful woman. Carole Lombard back in the 30's, and Maggie Gyllenhal, Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton are noted practitioners today. A tall woman standing ramrod straight can be intimidating. and a princess doesn't want to intimidate her guests.

My 5 feet tall mother was obsessed with standing up straight, because she wanted to be sure of being noticed, or heard. A rather tall woman needn't fear being overlooked, and indeed, may wish to give the appearance of approachable intimacy.

If Catherine does slouch, she does it elegantly.

I fail to see how a bad posture would be elegant. I never slouch and that still doesn't take away from my approachability even though I'm tall. I am not willing to suffer back pain in order not to appear intimidating to shorter people. Unless you have a health issue that cannot be helped, I don't think bad habits should be glorified and admired.

Same goes with other appearance. Looking at Kate I feel like I should start skipping meals and I'm of normal weight. But I'm not thin enough for modern standards.

The color of the gown is very nice and it suits Catherine, but that's about it. At first glance, it looked like she was wearing a jumpsuit. Not a good look.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The color is gorgeous....the back of the gown is beautiful....then front is meh. I think if she would of pulled her hair back and worn some different jewelry the look would of been better for her.

LaRae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCEEmUJ736g

This gives a better look at the dress

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that seeing the footage provides a better impression. I think a dash of a contrasting colour say a red shawl /sash might have made a striking outfit. I think we all keep making remarks about Kate's hair in the hopes that Pippa or a close friend might occasionally have a peep at this forum :)
I still can't quite decide whether I like this dress - definitely like the back.

I know what you mean, it does get old!

It's obvious that she likes her hair that way, and she isn't going to change, so we should just deal with it, imo.

As for the dress, it isn't one of her best looks, but she probably wanted to cover up, so it is an appropriate choice, if not very exciting.

Its a fashion thread and how one styles the outfit is as important as the dress. It's not about the length of the hair but the fact she never contains it, its is always in her face, hiding her jewels, so on. Commenting on her hair style is the same as commenting on her dress. Just as people may complain every time she wears a coat dress (she obviously likes wearing them and isn't likely to change), we will comment on our desire to see her do something with her hair. Its a fashion thread, what we are here to do.

She style her hair just like every women of today, this isn't the 60s so she doesn't have to wear her hair like it is.

The entire look doesn't do anything for her, particularly with her hair all over the place. I can't see the earrings.
:ohmy:

She style her hair just like every women of today, this isn't the 60s so she doesn't have to wear her hair like it is.

And looking at the photos and videos it appears that she wasn't the only lady who opted to wear her hair down at the event.:)

Nobody said she does - she can, and does, do exactly as she pleases. Some people expressed a dislike for this hairstyle, that's all.

Other people would like some posters to stop commenting on her hair. Personally, if I don't think her hairstyle is great then I shall say so - it's part of an overall look so I think it's perfectly ok to comment if I don't think it works.

I don't expect everyone to agree and I certainly don't expect the Duchess to change how she styles her hair as a result of what is said here.

I really wish it was possible to have a sabbatical on the long hair complaints.

I know and accept that everyone's opinion is valid, but no complaint that some of you have repeatedly made has made a difference.

Maybe we need to go into hash mode. Just type #hairhate. Or #hairlove. Or #prefhairupdo

Instant understanding!

I understand hair is part of fashion, but it seems like hair down= unkempt all the time to some. I disagree with that personally. Hair down can be, and often is, beautiful. Many women opt for that hairstyle on a frequent basis. Usually, it looks quite nice. Sure, sometimes it's windy. Eh....whatever from my pov. It'll get fixed.

I do think Kate taking a couple of inches off looks good though. She has changed her hair, which is what so many wanted.

I like a good up-do, but I'll take what Kate does any day over CP Victoria's daily, and generally severe, up do.

Onto the dress. Love the color and the back. The front isn't my fave. I do love her earrings though. Beautiful!

The entire look doesn't do anything for her, particularly with her hair all over the place. I can't see the earrings.
:ohmy:

I'll just disagree with part of that. Her hair is down. How does that equal "all over the place?" It's just down and, imo, nicely styled. It's not like her hair looks like she just rolled out of bed, to me anyway.

I get wanting to see the earrings better. They're beautiful. Still, a lot of women, myself included, frequently wear earrings and style their hair down. It's pretty common.

h
I think you are in error here. Fashion is fashion and there is no way I can boost another royal woman's sartorial taste by posting a negative view of Catherine's.

And yes, it is negative. The gown itself is quite quirky and I think if she had paired the hair, as the model did, with either very short hair or a high updo, she would have looked quite stunning. However, as per usual, the detailed neckline was obscured by copious amounts of hair, as indeed were her somewhat odd choice of earrings. As previously mentioned, the faux see-through look is just plain odd and the skirt was too long, as it pooled on the ground.

Basically, the dress itself was a beautiful nod to Regency times. However, the beautifully detailed collar contrasting with stunning see though elements made it a very 'Naughties' gown and as such should have been drooled over on the model and left there!

Well lets put it this way. There is a pattern to people who don't like what Catherine wears and people who don't like her in general. Read the Cambridges current events threads or charity threads and you'll see what I mean. You're not a fan for example

We can pretend it's all about fashion but we know it's not.

The same thing goes on with other royals and fashion. Again we can pretend it doesn't happen but we all know it does.

h

Well lets put it this way. There is a pattern to people who don't like what Catherine wears and people who don't like her in general. Read the Cambridges current events threads or charity threads and you'll see what I mean. You're not a fan for example

We can pretend it's all about fashion but we know it's not.

The same thing goes on with other royals and fashion. Again we can pretend it doesn't happen but we all know it does.

Speak for yourself - I post according to whether I like the clothes, accessories and hair, not whether I like a particular royal (insofar as I can like someone I've never met and don't know).

I know other posters are the same as me, they want to have a discussion about what people are wearing. Others (like you?) think it's all are popularity contest.

I understand hair is part of fashion, but it seems like hair down= unkempt all the time to some. I disagree with that personally. Hair down can be, and often is, beautiful. Many women opt for that hairstyle on a frequent basis. Usually, it looks quite nice. Sure, sometimes it's windy. Eh....whatever from my pov. It'll get fixed.

I do think Kate taking a couple of inches off looks good though. She has changed her hair, which is what so many wanted.

I like a good up-do, but I'll take what Kate does any day over CP Victoria's daily, and generally severe, up do.

Onto the dress. Love the color and the back. The front isn't my fave. I do love her earrings though. Beautiful!

Having initially really disliked this dress I have gone and had another look at it - in particular, the pics of it from Saloni. Whilst I still don't love it, I'm beginning to see some things to like.

So, my problem with her hair (for this specific outfit, not in general) is that it hides not just her earrings, but some of the more detailed design features of the dress. I don't want her to start sweeping around like Madame de Pompadour, I just don't find what I think of as her "comfort hairstyle", works for this outfit.

Just my opinion...

Speak for yourself - I post according to whether I like the clothes, accessories and hair, not whether I like a particular royal (insofar as I can like someone I've never met and don't know).

I know other posters are the same as me, they want to have a discussion about what people are wearing. Others (like you?) think it's all are popularity contest.

I can count on one hand the number of times I post in fashion threads. I'm making an observation and it's either a pattern or a coincidence.

It's a free world, personally I don't care and I wasn't referring to you specifically. It's just a clear pattern I see with some (not all) posters

Its a fashion thread and how one styles the outfit is as important as the dress. It's not about the length of the hair but the fact she never contains it, its is always in her face, hiding her jewels, so on. Commenting on her hair style is the same as commenting on her dress. Just as people may complain every time she wears a coat dress (she obviously likes wearing them and isn't likely to change), we will comment on our desire to see her do something with her hair. Its a fashion thread, what we are here to do.

Oh, I know, and you are absolutely right.

But be honest- don't you get sick of hearing it, time and time again?

I think the dress is awful. One of her worst gowns.

Here's something I get tired of: people complaining or otherwise being defensive pertaining to others opinion of the fashion of certain royals. You have your opinion, I have mine. For me, and most of the others who post in the fashion threads it has nothing to do with whether I like the royal or not. For example, I love Queen Maxima but I don't always love her fashion/style. I don't dislike Catherine at all, but I find her fashion choices (and that includes her makeup/hair) to be unflattering on her more often than not. This isn't a popularity thread, it's fashion thread. I wish people would stop being so defensive about anything they see as a negative, how boring if all we did was agree that everything was perfect!

Here's something I get tired of: people complaining or otherwise being defense pertaining to others opinion of the fashion of certain royals. You have your opinion, I have mine. For me, and most of the others who post in the fashion threads it has nothing to do with whether I like the royal or not. For example, I love Queen Maxima but I don't always love her fashion/style. I don't dislike Catherine at all, but I find her fashion choices (and that includes her makeup/hair) to be unflattering on her more often than not. This isn't a popularity thread, it's fashion thread. I wish people would stop being so defensive about anything they see as a negative, how boring if all we did was agree that everything was perfect!

Hear hear! There already alre many thread where more serious talk can go on! I wish we all just relax and have fun at least in the fashion threads!:flowers:.

Here's something I get tired of: people complaining or otherwise being defensive pertaining to others opinion of the fashion of certain royals. You have your opinion, I have mine. For me, and most of the others who post in the fashion threads it has nothing to do with whether I like the royal or not. For example, I love Queen Maxima but I don't always love her fashion/style. I don't dislike Catherine at all, but I find her fashion choices (and that includes her makeup/hair) to be unflattering on her more often than not. This isn't a popularity thread, it's fashion thread. I wish people would stop being so defensive about anything they see as a negative, how boring if all we did was agree that everything was perfect!

:flowers: Well said missy.

Nicely summed up.

I was a bit disappointed about her dress. It's not the best or the prettiest dress from the designers collection. The illusion front part is unflattering to me. I also thought the sleeves and the front part being slightly lighter looked a bit weird when you look at the front view.

The hair looked lovely but the dress being so high, the hair should've been pulled back or up, simple as that.

The color was great but the dress itself being that color didn't work, it just looked like a block of blue.

To avoid further arguments, let us focus on the actual topic of this thread - the Duchess of Cambridge's fashion choices. The discussion whether certain preferences or antipathies influence the reviews or not doesn't lead us anywhere here. Thank you!

The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 6: October 2015 -

I'm not a fan of the top half of Catherine's latest dress, but the rest is lovely. I don't have a problem with her hair here, I think it looks rather nice. I read that in Bhutan, everyone has to wear the national dress all the time, so I think Catherine was trying to fit in with the locals - the dress is kind of reminiscent of Bhutanse national dress in the terms of length.

Last edited:
I think if looking at it as a nod to Bhutan and their dress, it is an even bigger miss. Bhutan is pretty conservative, reflected in their national dress. A dress of sheer material with cut outs does little to reflect that IMO. The length is the only thing similar.

The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 6: October 2015 -

The length is the only thing similar.

That's what I meant. I will edit that part of my post now to avoid any more confusion, I'd simply forgot to expand my mention the reference to Bhutan.

Last edited:
I think if looking at it as a nod to Bhutan and their dress, it is an even bigger miss. Bhutan is pretty conservative, reflected in their national dress. A dress of sheer material with cut outs does little to reflect that IMO. The length is the only thing similar.
Hmm, I don't agree. The cut of the skirt is rather similar. As are the cuffs on the dress and the traditional jackets. And the dress isn't really see through. her version is lined.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom