The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 6: October 2015 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The color is great! The design, meh, too busy with the dots and cutouts and piecrust ruffles and faux see thru panels. I don't mind the silhouette. And I would LOVE to get a good view of the earrings! Anyone got one? :)

How on earth can anyone tell what jewelry she is wearing with all that hair in her face? She looks like she is drowning in bad 1970s fashion with the hair, the dress and her slouchy posture! A pretty awful combination for her. I wish someone from the palace would take her aside, pull her hair off her face and tell her to stand up straight!!

I agree.
The color is nice though

Thumbs down as far as I'm concerned. It's like Downton Abbey meets Little House on the Prairie. Her posture is worse than Charlotte Casiraghi's (and that's saying something) and once again, the spaniel ear hair.

I didn't realise fashion threads were so negative. I don't post in other threads or follow other royals' fashion but I think I will start. It must be quite the gauntlet to run

I didn't realise fashion threads were so negative. I don't post in other threads or follow other royals' fashion but I think I will start. It must be quite the gauntlet to run

Depends on whether people like the outfit or not. Generally, people aren't overly taken with this outfit so comments are "negative". They are just people's opinions.

I don't know who is running the gauntlet - I very much doubt the Duchess of Cambridge checks in here to see what we all think.

I personally love this dress - the colour, pattern, material and especially the late 70's/early 80's style collar - it's elegant! I do actually think having her hair up would have completed the look.
The only minus side for me is the earrings, which I think were gold and would have been nicer had they been diamonds.

Fashion threads are for fun. :flowers: If the majority prefers an outift there are positive reviews, if they don't the reviews are less nice. Plus, the comments and tastes are always so varied. I think that csaying that this thread has much negativity is totally unfair. It's just "like "or "don't like outift. That's all. I think these are just relaxing thread, not tto get too much serious about .

It seems to me the such negativy isn't noticed in other fashion threads regarding the ladies.:whistling::ROFLMAO:

Depends on whether people like the outfit or not. Generally, people aren't overly taken with this outfit so comments are "negative". They are just people's opinions.

I don't know who is running the gauntlet - I very much doubt the Duchess of Cambridge checks in here to see what we all think.

Well flipping through other fashion threads I've already seen the pattern of people posting. It's an eye opener but not really surprising

On this occasion I actually really like this outfit, the hair is always a bone of contention but I like her bold choice.

Well flipping through other fashion threads I've already seen the pattern of people posting. It's an eye opener but not really surprising

I don't really understand what you're saying - sorry ? - I hadn't thought there were patterns as such. Some people like a certain royal's style and don't like another's eg. some find Maxima a bit OTT and prefer Letizia's more pared down look or vice versa. Equally, some posters post "positively" or "negatively" according to individual outfits. Personally, I quite often dislike Princess Charlene's clothes and other times I find them absolutely stunning, sometimes I find Queen Mathilde a bit "bank managerish" and other times I think wow.

For myself, I don't normally love Catherine's fashion (don't hate it either) but there have been some outfits I liked (particularly on the Australia/New Zealand tour). I just happen to really not like this particular dress. Others disagree and like/love it - fair enough.

You haven't actually said whether you like the dress or not - what do you think about it?

The color is great! The design, meh, too busy with the dots and cutouts and piecrust ruffles and faux see thru panels. I don't mind the silhouette. And I would LOVE to get a good view of the earrings! Anyone got one? :)
These are the earrings: "Temple of Heaven" Earrings | Kate's Clothes

(This site also has listed the other occations she has worn them on)

I don't really understand what you're saying - sorry ? - I hadn't thought there were patterns as such. Some people like a certain royal's style and don't like another's eg. some find Maxima a bit OTT and prefer Letizia's more pared down look or vice versa. Equally, some posters post "positively" or "negatively" according to individual outfits. Personally, I quite often dislike Princess Charlene's clothes and other times I find them absolutely stunning, sometimes I find Queen Mathilde a bit "bank managerish" and other times I think wow.

For myself, I don't normally love Catherine's fashion (don't hate it either) but there have been some outfits I liked (particularly on the Australia/New Zealand tour). I just happen to really not like this particular dress. Others disagree and like/love it - fair enough.

You haven't actually said whether you like the dress or not - what do you think about it?

I said I like the dress. Maybe you missed it. My Twitter feed was/is full of positive reviews

As for the 'pattern' it's pretty much a rule of royal watching. If one likes royal 'A', one will put down other royals to boost royal 'A'

Not a hard and fast rule but it applies more often than not ( I'm just starting to flip through the fashion threads)

Ugh, I don't like that dress at all, hate the colar! But that's only my taste, because on Catherine it doesn't look that bad, she has the body to save that awful dress. The color's nice though...

I said I like the dress. Maybe you missed it. My Twitter feed was/is full of positive reviews

As for the 'pattern' it's pretty much a rule of royal watching. If one likes royal 'A', one will put down other royals to boost royal 'A'

Not a hard and fast rule but it applies more often than not ( I'm just starting to flip through the fashion threads)

Ok - I did miss it. I don't like it - apart from the colour - but I'm looking forward to seeing what she wears on the tour. She seems to pull the stops out for those kinds of overseas visits.

Not sure I completely agree with you about the pattern thing but there is an element of that sometimes. Personally I just like looking at clothes - whether I like the clothes or not.

Look forward to seeing your thoughts on other royal fashions. ?

Hair and posture spoil the look once again.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Hair and posture spoil the look once again.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
I thought posture improved once indoors. Perhaps chilly and so she hunched her shoulders? I know I do that. I also know some people would find that unforgivable in royal.

Love the color but that's about it. I've never been a fan of sheer arms with cuffs, looks clunky to me. Don't like any of the faux sheer honestly, would have been better to leave it off. And the piecrust collar is silly. The back is okay.

I personally love this dress - the colour, pattern, material and especially the late 70's/early 80's style collar - it's elegant! I do actually think having her hair up would have completed the look.
The only minus side for me is the earrings, which I think were gold and would have been nicer had they been diamonds.

I agree - would have been lovely with her diamonds and sapphires. (and apparently the Daily Mail has imagined as such as their article actually states she is wearing her diamond and sapphire earrings:whistling:) but I think she was trying to make this more casual - choice of earrings and her hair down.

I think this tour is going to be a very interesting sartorial experience for the Duchess and those of us who follow her. I expect to see many long skirts - as I think Catherine may find that a more flattering length for her than the mid calf length. let the games begin:flowers:

Cant really think of who could wear this dress and look good. She certainly doesn't. It accentuates her thinness, even the model fills it out more which is saying a lot.
I happen to love the ruffle collar, reminds me of her late mil, but too much of everything else, dots, cuffs, cut outs, illusion, hair, long earrings. A real fashion miss, imo.

It's a miss for me, I'm afraid. I really prefer lighter colours on Kate and this dress does nothing for her IMO. I wish she would wear more updos and partial updoos like loose chignons, too. That hair is terribly distracting. The earrings can scarcely be seen.

How on earth can anyone tell what jewelry she is wearing with all that hair in her face? She looks like she is drowning in bad 1970s fashion with the hair, the dress and her slouchy posture! A pretty awful combination for her. I wish someone from the palace would take her aside, pull her hair off her face and tell her to stand up straight!!

Not a great look, she blends well with the other ladies in the photo ;)

I really wish it was possible to have a sabbatical on the long hair complaints.

I know and accept that everyone's opinion is valid, but no complaint that some of you have repeatedly made has made a difference.

Maybe we need to go into hash mode. Just type #hairhate. Or #hairlove. Or #prefhairupdo

Instant understanding!

Yes, but the other ladies in the photo aren't senior royals are they, about to embark on an official tour to a Commonwealth country? Also, complaints about Kate's slouching and her hair swamping everything when she wears it down are ones that come up again and again, and not just here on TRF. I think Kate's posture is the result of being tall and feeling she's towering over everyone, but it should be addressed all the same. It can spoil the look of a whole outfit.

Last edited:
The elegant slouch

An "elegant slouch" can be the mark of a tasteful and graceful woman. Carole Lombard back in the 30's, and Maggie Gyllenhal, Cate Blanchett and Tilda Swinton are noted practitioners today. A tall woman standing ramrod straight can be intimidating. and a princess doesn't want to intimidate her guests.

My 5 feet tall mother was obsessed with standing up straight, because she wanted to be sure of being noticed, or heard. A rather tall woman needn't fear being overlooked, and indeed, may wish to give the appearance of approachable intimacy.

If Catherine does slouch, she does it elegantly.

It's a fashion thread - if the hair and posture spoil a look (subjective, I know) then I don't see a problem in saying so. Just as if it when we like it we comment.

It doesn't have to make a difference - it's highly unlikely she reads these forums to see whether we approve or not.

Kate looks fab as usual. I like the dress, it and Kate got great reviews on social media. I'm looking forward to India

The sapphire blue was a nice choice for the occasion.

Not a good look. The color is nice and the matching shoes are okay.

I think she was trying to 'match' the Bhutanese women with an Indian designer dress. She was trying too hard to cover all aspects of her trip. She should have gone for a simple dress, whether a long simple dress or a dress where the hem reached her knees.

This dress looks like she recycled one of her mother's dresses from the 1970s.

It looks like it was a bridesmaid dress from the early 70s.

If she wore her hair in braids she would have looked like she was in the 1970s.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-y_nul8n9...Ldsu1ZqXU5CvTkW_WyHGsPVDVvHRuhg/s1600/kpn.jpg

Last edited:

I think you are in error here. Fashion is fashion and there is no way I can boost another royal woman's sartorial taste by posting a negative view of Catherine's.

And yes, it is negative. The gown itself is quite quirky and I think if she had paired the hair, as the model did, with either very short hair or a high updo, she would have looked quite stunning. However, as per usual, the detailed neckline was obscured by copious amounts of hair, as indeed were her somewhat odd choice of earrings. As previously mentioned, the faux see-through look is just plain odd and the skirt was too long, as it pooled on the ground.

Basically, the dress itself was a beautiful nod to Regency times. However, the beautifully detailed collar contrasting with stunning see though elements made it a very 'Naughties' gown and as such should have been drooled over on the model and left there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom