The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 6: October 2015 - April 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish the duchess and all of her dressmakers would learn where her natural waist is. Almost every dress she wears has the waistline about an inch or two too high. She is naturally long-waisted and it is very noticeable in a dress like this.

i think we are seeing a more fashion confident Kate - experimenting and trying new things and getting comfortable in the royal jewel box. those earrings may have been a wedding gift from Charles or HM or perhaps just recently loaned. But I like Confident Kate - and look forward to the show!
I agree. Even when I don't like the garments I like her wearing them!

I wish the duchess and all of her dressmakers would learn where her natural waist is. Almost every dress she wears has the waistline about an inch or two too high. She is naturally long-waisted and it is very noticeable in a dress like this.

I've been saying this for several years now...too many of her dresses are not tailored to fit her waist so they look off and the porportions are wrong.

LaRae

I don't like the dress at all. And with these hair soon will not see her face .

Last edited:
I really like the dress and despite my surprise it looks good on Kate! I think I am a bit perplexed as this dress doesn't come across as a piece Kate would wear but I am glad she is experimenting and risking a bit! Isn't it cold in London for such a summery dress though?

But she is only walking from the car to the door outside. Even with a stop for some photos, it not that long. At almost 10 pm, it 59 deg F in London so it's not super cold.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I usually adore Erdem but the bottom is not my thing. And that blowout.. :cry: This is bordering on Farrah Fawcett

The Duchess of Cambridge debuted a glamorous new floral dress tonight by one of her favourite British designers, Erdem

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/10/27/19/2DD8F22700000578-0-image-m-3_1445974053658.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/10/27/19/2DD8F21100000578-3292327-image-m-28_1445974908624.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/10/27/19/2DD8FC6000000578-3292327-image-m-51_1445975330039.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/10/27/19/2DD8FC3200000578-3292327-image-a-52_1445975335557.jpg

What I dislike most is the tiered style of the skirt and the cocker spaniel hair. Yesterday's hairstyle was so good. Not sure what to think of the print. I like Erdem prints but this one is too much Laura Ashley curtains.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/10/27/19/2DD8F0F000000578-3292327-image-m-41_1445975130084.jpg

I don't like this dress. I find the print too much and I dislike the bottom of it.

Oh dear Kate oh dear. Last night the top half was bad, tonight the whole dress but especially the bottom half is bad. The additional ruffle looks like it has been attached to make it an evening gown and the bold print looks like she decided to make a dress out of the spare material from the curtains at Kensington Palace. Her hair isn't great tonight as well - hides the lovely earrings. Struggling to like anything about this look for Kate - fashion wise, jewellery wise it is a good show.

Kate, you have a heap of lovely gowns in your wardrobe bring them out of hiding.

Last edited:
I really like the dress and despite my surprise it looks good on Kate! I think I am a bit perplexed as this dress doesn't come across as a piece Kate would wear but I am glad she is experimenting and risking a bit! Isn't it cold in London for such a summery dress though?

Really? Seeing Kate in a floral print dress doesn't surprise me. I don't remember seeing her in a floral evening gown, but I can't say I'm stunned. The bottom is a little different, but not too much so imo.

Kate's worn things that are outside her norm, but she's never really worn anything that's stunned me- that seemed really out of character. There was some article about her becoming more risqué since becoming a mom. I can't say I've noticed that. She's pretty conservative, but it's not a new thing imo for her to deviate a little from that here and there- be it a slit in the skirt or a lower neckline.

I love the pattern, colours and material - in fact they wouldn't look amiss as one of Queen Margarethe's gala gowns! It's elegant, but I agree the designer shouldn't have bothered with the ruffle especially against the complicated pattern.

I love vibrant colours and bright floral prints so I do prefer this dress over the blue. However the flounce is awful and different accessories than black would have given it a lift. I like updos for evening in a simple style. That would have really showed the earrings off. I think Kate's makeup was excellent.

After looking at it, I do like the print.
I adore the piecing on the bodice - which is amazing! http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/10/27/19/2DD8F21100000578-3292327-image-m-28_1445974908624.jpg

That flounce is such a fail though - especially once you notice the cutting on the bodice which is very angular. Why would you design such angularity into the bodice and then go Little House on the Prairie at the knee? :bang:

I do think it is a good choice for this event. There is always a wide variety of evening dresses at this event. I think Kate's dress is fashionable, while not pushing the envelope or looking too much like what someone else might be wearing.

I actually truly love this dress and I think having her hair down is nice and different than what she's been doing for evening events.
I don't think it's necessary to always have you hair up for evening gowns. Maybe half up or the bangs pinned back would have been nice too but I love it either way. Beautiful and colorful print and an interesting design on the bottom. It think it's feminine and fun...but enough gushing. Just my opinion��

Great to see this & Kate's jewellery thread so busy again. I quite like the print and the style of the gown apart from the flounces at the bottom . But I hate this abundance of hair smothering the face/neck/shoulders and the extra volume isn't a good effect IMO. I agree with other posts about the more interesting variety of styles we're getting - long may it continue.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I really enjoy Tom and Lorenzo's take on things too. They can totally take something and turn it into something quite amusing and creative without innuendo or snarky remarks. The people that read their writings leave with a smile on their face. They're the only ones out there too that I've seen that call Kate "Cathy". It sets them apart and the readers always come back for more.

They may have just hit the nail on the head with Harry popping in like in a sit-com. I would imagine if all three are at KP at the same time, that's exactly what happens.

I just am now envisioning Harry like Kramer from Seinfeld. :lol:

And of course Kate does resemble Julia Louis-Dreyfus

I understand the comments about the waistline. I have even noticed in some of her tailored coats the waist is too short. This floral dress is an improvement over last evenings blue dress. The tiered skirt isn't my taste and I think actually takes away from the dress. The top fit is very nice. We will see a lot more "curtain material" I'm afraid as it seems to be in vogue this season. The hair doesn't do her face justice. It is more a teen look IMO.

Last edited:
Oh dear Kate oh dear. Last night the top half was bad, tonight the whole dress but especially the bottom half is bad. The additional ruffle looks like it has been attached to make it an evening gown and the bold print looks like she decided to make a dress out of the spare material from the curtains at Kensington Palace. Her hair isn't great tonight as well - hides the lovely earrings. Struggling to like anything about this look for Kate - fashion wise, jewellery wise it is a good show.

Kate, you have a heap of lovely gowns in your wardrobe bring them out of hiding.

I would have said the exact same thing. Can't like this look at all. Hopefully the trend doesn't continue and she can return the fabric to Kensington palace. I'm sure the earrings are to die for but can't see them.

After watching the gown in videos, I've decided I like it. The hem looks better in motion, and I like that it's a bit daring, appropriate for a gathering of successful and stylish women.

It's a lot of floral, but then floral is very trendy right now. I don't mind the flounce, at least it's an interesting and slightly different silhouette. That said, it does seem a little "junior".

I think Catherine prefers a higher waistline, as it makes her legs look longer.

But the hair. It does her no favors.

Earrings are fab, maybe too traditional for this look, but fab.

Really? Seeing Kate in a floral print dress doesn't surprise me. I don't remember seeing her in a floral evening gown, but I can't say I'm stunned. The bottom is a little different, but not too much so imo.

Kate's worn things that are outside her norm, but she's never really worn anything that's stunned me- that seemed really out of character. There was some article about her becoming more risqué since becoming a mom. I can't say I've noticed that. She's pretty conservative, but it's not a new thing imo for her to deviate a little from that here and there- be it a slit in the skirt or a lower neckline.

There's been a few evening dresses the past couple of years that were not at all conservative...especially when compared to her normal wear.

LaRae

It's a lot of floral, but then floral is very trendy right now. I don't mind the flounce, at least it's an interesting and slightly different silhouette. That said, it does seem a little "junior".

I think Catherine prefers a higher waistline, as it makes her legs look longer.

But the hair. It does her no favors.

Earrings are fab, maybe too traditional for this look, but fab.

Too funny..I've never considered art deco style 'traditional' ..but maybe it is!

LaRae

Last edited by a moderator:
The hem ruins the look, otherwise, it's not too bad.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Too funny..I've never considered art deco style 'traditional' ..but maybe it is!

LaRae

LOL maybe not traditional, but of a different era than the gown... I don't have a problem with mixing styles, though. :)

Let's start with what is nice about this looks: great choice of material and fabulous earrings.

It's all downhill from there! The print? Looks like curtains. That flounce at the bottom isn't necessary. Finally -- the hair, the hair! Why all that hair all over her face?

There's been a few evening dresses the past couple of years that were not at all conservative...especially when compared to her normal wear.

LaRae

I know. Lol But none of them have really been a shocker imo. Kate's fairly conservative, but she does go outside her box from time to time- but only to a point. But, that's not new imo. That's all I meant.

I'll differ from everyone else...I love the dress and the hair. But if you wear super nice earrings, why not pin your hair back a little to showcase it? Otherwise, she should have worn very simple studs.

Also, I just watched the video on YouTube. The dress moves so well! Thank goodness she doesn't do the "Fergie waddle" when Catherine is wearing her heels. I think the height of her shoes brought made her total height to be about 6' 2" tonight. She looks so elegant and unusually taller.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an ugly dress, the worst thing I have ever seen her wear. she looks like she is wearing a bad sofa from Barbis 1986 Malibu Dream house.

Omg from bad to worse. Last night looked like a bathrobe, tonight, Scarlett o hara with curtains, quick an evening gown. I can't even see the earrings mentioned because of the hair curtain. At least this one fits. Last nights was fitted to her before she quit nursing, imo

Also, I just watched the video on YouTube. The dress moves so well! Thank goodness she doesn't do the "Fergie waddle" when Catherine is wearing her heels. I think the height of her shoes brought made her total height to be about 6' 2" tonight. She looks so elegant and unusually taller.

I agree. I watched the Daily Mail video and when the dress moves it's quite beautiful. It's hard to judge fashion solely on photos. I thought the same about last night's dress. I was not very fond of the front but I first saw it on the live feed and could still appreciate the beauty of it in movement. Photos don't do a person justice unless photoshopped in my opinion lol. You have to either see it in person or watch it in action

Not crazy about the floral dress but those earrings.. stunning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom