The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 5: October 2013 - October 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I join the army of those who didn't like the hair and I think worse than wearing her hair down is the fact that she decided to part it in 3 parts and the part she left on her back being much smaller than the 2 she put to the front, this always gives a bad posture and this time also hid the necklace.

Right on the spot! Let her keep her hair long but just let it fall behind her shoulders. Tatiana Santo Domingo and the Duchess do exactly the same thing: put their hair covering the sides of their faces.

I can't find the post, but the Gala was not a black tie event. FYI.

This fantastic dress cries for an hair up-do. Why is she so fanatic about her hair wearing down in moments like these?

I prefer her hair down; long hair in an updo usually makes a woman look older, imo.
(Look at Princess Anne, for example; she's always worn an updo and people often complain about it looking dated).

Beatrice and all the other women wore their hair down; no one is criticizing them.

I prefer her hair down; long hair in an updo usually makes a woman look older, imo.

Kate is over 30. It's time she looked older, i.e. looked her age.

I think the early 30s are fabulous years in a person's life. A woman is mature enough to be wearing grown-up clothes, but still youthful and her bits haven't started to sag. A woman in her early 30s should have grown out of the girlish manners and clothing choices she could still get away with in her 20s. I'm not saying for one moment Kate should cut her hair or not wear it down for casual occasions, but this elegant midnight blue gown and Kate's attractive tan (though she needs to take care in the sun - closeups show that there are some crepey bits forming in the throat/decolletage area) provided the perfect setting to display that impressive piece of serious diamond jewellery, yet the fabulous bauble was hidden under that curtain of hair.

Kate is a good-looking woman. With a bit of attention to detail she could be stunning.

Lovely dress and jewels, perfect for a special occassion, but a royal duchess should have a sophisticated hairstyle when dressing up in the evening.

(Look at Princess Anne, for example; she's always worn an updo and people often complain about it looking dated).

Beatrice and all the other women wore their hair down; no one is criticizing them.

I agree. I prefer her hair down too. Although I do like her updos.

I've never understood the notion that women in their 30's or 40's should have shorter hair or that long hair looks girlish. Not everyone can pull off short hair and lots of women just prefer their hair longer.

It's not like Kate shuns updos, she's worn quite a few them. She just happens to prefer her hair down.

For the record...

I very seldom criticize women who are younger, taller, slimmer, prettier, richer, and better dressed than I am. And who also have a more fabulous head of hair than I do.

I very seldom criticize women who are younger, taller, slimmer, prettier, richer, and better dressed than I am. And who also have a more fabulous head of hair than I do.

C'mon! They're fair game. :lol: If you can't criticise them, who can you criticise? You certainly can't have a go at people who are in your own situation and it's poor form to criticise those who are worse off.

Okay. My turn. Great dress, beautiful necklace she borrowed from the Queen. That hair? Lovely but, not with this look, not with that necklace. Sorry but it should have been a beautiful updo.

Here in Brazil we use to say that there are no ugly women, just poor ones!

:previous: Love that comment!
I for one have never thought she has great hair and I'm always puzzled when people say how great hers is and envy it. I guess compared to some women, like her own mother Carole, who have thin hair it's an improvement.
As an earlier poster said, both she and tatiana santo domingo wear their hair hanging over their cheeks, which is why tatiana looked so great with her tiara hair last week, we could see her face!
As far as the gown, it screams summer to me. What about a rich velvet with some sort of sleeve in the depths of winter?
Do whole heartedly agree that the BRF was lucky to get Kate, but, if you have the responsibilty to wear such a major piece of jewelry, you need to give it the right backdrop, not wear it with jeans or messy hair.

I think the Duchess of Cambridge is a beautiful woman, and separately, each of the elements of her look were lovely. It doesn't matter if it was a black tie affair or not, if you wear a necklace with jewels that substantial, the rest of the outfit needs to complement that. The gown is lovely and works fairly well with the necklace. The hair works 'ok' with the gown, but absolutely does not work with the necklace. If you are wearing jewelry of that caliber, the hair should be styled to show it off, not hide it with hair looking almost stringy hanging down. An updo would be nice, but even hair styled nicely and hanging behind her shoulders, would be an improvement. IMHO

I think you may have a point there. Perhaps her hair is her security blanket, problem is, she is not Linus but rather a grown woman over 30.

Google Image Result for http://aroundcelebs.com/images/linus-05.jpg

I have lost count of the number of times she has buried some really elegant gown under her curtain of hair and as to her jewellery . . . well it's best guess territory.

Ah, I see what you mean but, had she shortened the gown a little to show her shoes and dressed her hair in a flattering updo showcasing those wonderful jewels, added a wonderfully frivolous evening clutch andI think she would have had a whole new look.

OK, this one is the real kicker. With her masses of bedroom hair and no finishing accessories she looks like she ran out during a fire alarm and didn't quite finish dressing. She could have looked so elegant but . . .

Just a couple additional thoughts: the missing evening clutch is so obvious because in most photos she appears like she does not know what to do with her hands . . . .:ermm:, and also I notice she lacks good posture, so important to elegance. So the wonderful jewels will not shine much :sad: . . . maybe in time she'll get it :flowers:

The first time she wore the dress it screamed fairy Princess. This screamed nightgown. Reminded me of the Christian Dior dress Princess Diana wore in New York in 1996. Love the necklace though.
This dress?
Princess Diana Dress Featured In New 'Christian Dior' Exhibition At Harrods* - Princess Diana Remembered

I can't find the post, but the Gala was not a black tie event. FYI.
Interesting, every article I've read said it was black tie, all of the men pictured (except for the photographer and the cross dresser) wore black tie and all of the women I've seen photos of wore long evening dresses (except Beatrice.)
Kate Middleton Wears Queen's Jewels To Gala (PICTURES)

She is pretty, the gown is pretty, and the necklace is to die for. But something is missing here. She just lacks the elegance and regal bearing of a royal princess.

Like Pcs Royal in example? This is the elegance you are talling about that Kate is missing?!!

Last edited:
For all those who think that Kate is not well turned out sartorially, thank your stars. We could have had Stephanie of Luxembourg!

Last edited:
For all those who think that Kate is not well turned out sartorially, thank you stars. We could have had Stephanie of Luxembourg!

Ha ha! you made me lough! Stephanie is lovely, but in the matter of fitting...

Like Pcs Royal in example? This is the elegance you are talling about that Kate is missing?!!

So true! :flowers:

(Exactly which royal princess has more elegance and regal bearing? Anne? The York girls? I don't think so!)
:lol:

So true! :flowers:

(Exactly which royal princess has more elegance and regal bearing? Anne? The York girls? I don't think so!)
:lol:

The need to denigrate other royal ladies to make your argument in favor of your favorite makes me think you have a weak argument. Plus, I like Catherine but I'll take Princess Anne against all comers. Royal elegance isn't just having pretty hair and dressing nice. It's work ethic, commanding a room with your presence and self-assurednes and self-awareness and committment to things other than oneself. Anne has these things in abundance and Catherine has yet to demonstrate these traits IMO. I get it Catherine is the pretty young thing who looks lovely in a pretty dress but that doesn't necessarily equate to "royal" elegance. IMO she's on her way but she not yet there.

Last edited:
Well, I like Anne, but I would never describe her as elegant. Eye of the beholder, I guess.

I was only able to open the first and last pictures. Good reason to wear gloves, especially after a certain age.

The middle pics were all of The Duchess of Cornwall and all from Getty. Sorry they did not work. I checked and they are fine for me. The joys of technology. :)

Sorry, I don't get the slamming of other royal women to obfuscate the subject at hand, namely Catherine's Eveningwear and what posters think about it. That is what this thread is for and, if you don't like what people are saying then respond with an on topic evaluation or rebuttal of your own.

Denigrating people like HGD Stephanie, Princess Anne and the Duchess of Cornwall in an attempt to derail the discussion is merely muddying the waters and causing discord.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't get the slamming of other royal women to obfuscate the subject at hand, namely Catherine's Eveningwear and what posters think about it. That is what this thread is for and, if you don't like what people are saying then respond with an on topic evaluation or rebuttal of your own.

Denigrating people like HGD Stephanie, Princess Anne and the Duchess of Cornwall in an attempt to derail the discussion is merely muddying the waters and causing discord.

I agree.
Thank you, Marg :flowers:

I don't think her hair is messy at all. Messy hair to me is hair that clearly looks like it hasn't been combed for a few days, hair that is blowing everywhere and in the person's face, and generally hair that looks untidy and uncared for. Catherine's hair is none of these things, to me. I wonder what those who think Catherine's hair is messy would think of my hair! :p ;) Anyway; I like her dress and she looks good. Nicely done IMO. :)

Last edited:
Helen Mirren's audience with the Queen looks amusing as she recalls moment Prince William presented her BAFTA Fellowship Award | Mail Online

The Duchess of Cambridge is recycling the red Alexander McQueen dress she wore for the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant in 2012. She also has on her black Prada heels and gold earrings that I love. I can't remember the event she wore the earrings at but they are also a repeat.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/26/article-2135754-12C90D0B000005DC-752_634x768.jpg

Amanda Wakeley dress - EDIT: 2012 Imperial War Museum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom