The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 5: October 2013 - October 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The red dress is stunning! She looks incredibly regal. Definitely one of her best looks.

I'm not sure what I think about the red dress yet...maybe when I can get a better view of it.....but her jewels are quite stunning!

LaRae

Could it have anything to do with William and Catherine being a generation lower in the family? Perhaps she won't receive it until Charles is king? Or perhaps the Queen is waiting longer before bestowing it?

I was surprised she still doesn't have the RFO. She's performed her primary duty, i.e. producing the heir and the spare, so why not?

Catherine looked stunning. I have only one very small quibble and that is that I thought her eye shadow was a bit heavy handed, it almost made her look a bit sleepy. All in all though I thought she looked terrific.

The red dress is lovely. Kate achieves just the right balance of bling coupled with the simplicity in the design of the gown. (Mind you, it would be perfect with a family order).

Yes that's also what I thought regarding the Royal Family Order,other than the Duchess looked stunning!

Loved the red dress on Kate... I think she looked very pretty. Great jewelry too!

Kate looked wonderful tonight. I thought the gown was beautiful and I'm glad she chose to wear the Lotus. It looked great on her.

A lovely red for the gown which was nice overall, though I'm not a great fan of cap sleeves. The lotus looked good, ditto the bracelets which were stunning really. No family Order yet. I do think Kate looked a bit nervous, understandably, and the makeup seemed a little heavy. I think the evening went well, the surroundings as always were spectacular.

Lovely dress, great color and fit and especially the skirt. The neckline was not particularly flattering, a boat neck would have been better. The hairdo was very nice in the back, low chignon should be her go to, but the flat top and funny bang covering her face was not flattering and didn't go with the heavy eye make up or the tiara.

What! No orders!!!

I was expecting the order because of the reports and speculations about it. Probably she doesn't deserve it (yet).

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think they have not earned it yet.
If you think of previous generations: Q Mary & K George, also, K George VI & his Elizabeth were taking on full loads practically from the honey moon. These two have made it known that they do not yet feel quite ready to go full time.
The Cambridges & P Henry are now adults in their thirties. It is time they got on with it more seriously than attending a few sports matches. Their ageing relatives need to be allowed to step back if they want to.

I know I am likely to get a lot of grief for this post, but it is how I feel.

Ana

I think this was the first time we have received a good and proper look of Catherine as a senior member of the royal family. It took 4 years for it to happen, but I'm glad it happened. Hopefully she'll attend for now on.

hair

The hairdo was very nice in the back, low chignon should be her go to, but the flat top and funny bang covering her face was not flattering and didn't go with the heavy eye make up or the tiara.
Yes, her hair dresser could stand to study Queen Silvia, especially in her youth!!

I would have been surprised if Kate hadn't worn a Chinese Red dress to the state banquet for the Chinese president. It has a powerful symbolic meaning in China, and sends the perfect message for a State Banquet: celebration, enthusiasm, good luck, happiness, vitality, long life, etc.

I was surprised she still doesn't have the RFO. She's performed her primary duty, i.e. producing the heir and the spare, so why not?
I've noticed that HM is waiting to award the family order in the past decade or so. Sophie married into the family in 1999 but didn't receive it until 2004 even though she'd been a full time working member since 2001. Camilla married Charles in 2005 but didn't receive hers until two years either. By contrast Diana received hers almost immediately, but perhaps QEII would like to see "how things go" with her new daughters-in-law after the 1990's.

Last edited:
I've noticed that HM is waiting to award the family order in the past decade or so. Sophie married into the family in 1999 but didn't receive it until 2004 even though she'd been a full time working member since 2001. Camilla married Charles in 2005 but didn't receive hers until two years either. By contrast Diana received hers almost immediately, but perhaps QEII would like to see "how things go" with her new daughters-in-law after the 1990's.

It's been a few years for Catherine already. She's approaching her 5th wedding anniversary in several months time.

And she isn't a full time working royal yet. It's hard to tell with these things as HM doesn't share how, when or why she awards the family order.

Sophie wasn't officially full time until 2002 (as it was in early 2002 that she and Edward gave up their businesses), and even then she didn't really start lining up most of her patronages until 2003, I think. Sarah never got one at all. Whether it's work or caution, I don't know. The Queen has certainly been known to be personally fond of Sophie and Sarah. Diana got hers quite quickly, but I assumed that that might have something to do with marrying the heir to the throne? Because I don't know that she'd had time to put in a lot of work yet, and she wasn't particularly close to HM. Camilla also received hers relatively quickly (at least compared to Sophie, and to Sarah, who never got one), so again, I wonder if it's because she's married to the heir? Caution may play a role, but I doubt HM is concerned about Kate in that regard. Who knows? It's interesting to see all the varying time periods - hard to establish a pattern.

Catherine looks stunning. Absolutely stunning. The gown suits her, and the red is a nice nod to the visitors' culture. No complaints. She got it 110 percent right.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Sophie wasn't officially full time until 2002 (as it was in early 2002 that she and Edward gave up their businesses), and even then she didn't really start lining up most of her patronages until 2003, I think. Sarah never got one at all. Whether it's work or caution, I don't know. The Queen has certainly been known to be personally fond of Sophie and Sarah. Diana got hers quite quickly, but I assumed that that might have something to do with marrying the heir to the throne? Because I don't know that she'd had time to put in a lot of work yet, and she wasn't particularly close to HM. Camilla also received hers relatively quickly (at least compared to Sophie, and to Sarah, who never got one), so again, I wonder if it's because she's married to the heir? Caution may play a role, but I doubt HM is concerned about Kate in that regard. Who knows? It's interesting to see all the varying time periods - hard to establish a pattern.

The Queen giving out the family memento (The Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II) to the senior female royals can be tricky, it's not a knighthood, it's not announced, and when it's not given within a short period of time, no one explains why. All it do is lead to speculations and differences of opinions.

My guess though she will receive it by this year or next year. It's been nearly 5 years since Catherine became a senior royal and it's an honor she truly deserves.

Insane how gorgeous she looked. The hair was sublime, the jewels are perfect for her position, and I thought the fuller skirt was regal and so flattering for her.

Daria, I agree - she did get it 110% right. I think the red dress is great, both as a nod to Chinese culture, and because it looks great on Kate. As always, I only wish we got more "proper" pictures from these events.

The Queen giving out the family memento (The Royal Family Order of Queen Elizabeth II) to the senior female royals can be tricky, it's not a knighthood, it's not announced, and when it's not given within a short period of time, no one explains why. All it do is lead to speculations and differences of opinions.

My guess though she will receive it by this year or next year. It's been nearly 5 years since Catherine became a senior royal and it's an honor she truly deserves.

Exactly. That's kind of the point I found myself reaching: we get no explanations as to why or when the family order is given, and while it's interesting to try to see if there's a pattern that might indicate how the decision is made, I don't see any pattern. It will be nice when Kate has one, but I'm sure the Queen will give it when she feels the time is right (and, as I have no idea what her criteria is, I find myself not really minding when that happens).

Kate's red gown is by Jenny Packham bespoke. The dress is a lovely color and she does stand out in it. The cut is flattering. The top part of the dress is tone on tone which is nice but at the same time you dont get to see the pretty details.

The tiara is very pretty, she had the right hairstyle for it IMO.

Catherine was very beautiful. The perfect hairstyle and nice color. I don't grazy so much about the dress and i want to wore maybe a brooch. But all the look is beautiful.

As this is a fashion thread please refrain from discussing family orders - this can be done in the individual threads at the British subforum instead! Further off-topic posts will be removed without notice. Thank you!

Love that Catherine wore red, hugely symbolic for the Chinese. Personally don't like the dress but it suits her. The hair and tiara placement is stunning!

Love that Catherine wore red, hugely symbolic for the Chinese. Personally don't like the dress but it suits her. The hair and tiara placement is stunning!
I agree. I personaly like the dress, but I can undertand that it's not everyones taste. No dress will be and it's non-offensive so that's all that matter :) I agree that the tiara placement was spot on!

One thing I noticed first off is that Kate was true to form trying to stick with her go-to rule of dress that less is more. Simplicity is the name of the game. However, appearances can be quite deceiving especially in this case. She pulled off wearing some very serious bling all on loan from HM. Tiara, earrings and two bracelets. The trick was that they didn't detract from the gown but rather accented it very nicely I think.

To quote Goldilocks and The Three Bears "Just right".

And she isn't a full time working royal yet. It's hard to tell with these things as HM doesn't share how, when or why she awards the family order.
Magic 8 Ball, perhaps? And "Ask again later" keeps coming up. :lol: She does like a good gag Christmas gift.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom