The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 4: August 2012 - October 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate tonight at a reception for Team GB:

- Complete outfit
- Back view
- Side view
- Close up

I just loath this outfit, especially the flowers and the bow at the back. And I'll be crucified for this by some, but the hairstyle is very unflattering: it basically covers up most of the upper part of the dress (which, upon consideration, may not be too bad a thing since the dress is ugly, imo).

On a more positive note, love the shoes.

More Pics
1- http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/reuters..._lm1e8an1kk001_rtrmadp_3_britain.grid-6x3.jpg
2- http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/reuters...138607140_lm1e8an1kkg01_rtrmadp_3_britain.jpg
3- http://media4.onsugar.com/files/201.../i/Kate-Middleton-Royal-Reception-Team-GB.jpg
4- http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Royal+Reception+Team+GB+Olympic+Medalists+qnJD5SNzfF3l.jpg
5- http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcd2k8Qnm81r8zvw2o1_1280.jpg

- Complete outfit
- Back view
- Side view
- Close up

I just loath this outfit, especially the flowers and the bow at the back. And I'll be crucified for this by some, but the hairstyle is very unflattering: it basically covers up most of the upper part of the dress (which, upon consideration, may not be too bad a thing since the dress is ugly, imo).

Artemisia - did you notice there are also pin tuck pleats on the bodice. I agree with you there is too much going on with this frock. The silhouette is not bad, though.

The appliques were overkill on a very girlish dress. I may have given it a pass if it weren't for the heavily embroidered hem and I guess I'm old-fashioned when I express my dismay at bra straps showing through the sheer bodice. I think a strapless bra would have been better. The curtain of hair just bores me now, but I do like her bracelet and shoes.

Last edited:
I don't hate this dress. I actually think it would've looked very nice had she worn her hair up, but as is, it does look a little sloppy.

She looked like she found a dress in the pre-teen section of a store, washed her hair and got dressed. For a very stylish lady, she missed the mark and look foolish.

OMG look how nice this dress is without the added appliques. What a missed opportunity because Catherine looks great in the style of the dress. She doesn't need the extra fluff. It's gilding the lily.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2v97nug.jpg

OMG look how nice this dress is without the added appliques. What a missed opportunity because Catherine looks great in the style of the dress. She doesn't need the extra fluff. It's gilding the lily.

I am affraid if the dress would have been without the added appliques, it would have been considered a boring dress...

If the critics were allowed to personally choose Catherine's outfits, they still wouldn't be happy.

:previous:

Well, yes. Opinions on fashion do differ. And this is a fashion thread.
Also, it is impossible (or at least, highly improbable) to like someone's sartorial choices all the time.

The appliques were overkill on a very girlish dress. I may have given it a pass if it weren't for the heavily embroidered hem and I guess I'm old-fashioned when I express my dismay at bra straps showing through the sheer bodice. I think a strapless bra would have been better. The curtain of hair just bores me now, but I do like her bracelet and shoes.

The appliques were a horror. I wish she chose a version of the dress that didn't have them. With the right jewelry, this style of dress without any embellishments would have looked wonderful on the Duchess. The bra straps on display is a pet peeve of mine as well. I don't relish the idea of showing the world any part of one's undergarments, even if they 'match' the dress. I do love the bracelet. It would have been such a great little accessory if the dress wasn't so busy. Catherine hardly ever misses with her choices of attire, but this is one of those times that should be called a little 'fluke'.

Wow! What a difference the lack of extra appliques makes! Catherine would have knocked 'em dead if she appeared in the plain black variation of this dress. Too bad she chose to go forgo 'less is more' concept of this reception.

Don't like the dress from the Team GB reception. I do not have words for how much I hate those shoes. This weekend, seeing pictures from Luxembourg, I finally figured out what women's feet remind me of when they wear an exaggerated platform like Catherine's (and Stephanie's awful purple shoes for that matter)- from the front their feet look like a horse's hoof.

A rare misstep for Catherine, I think. That is just not an attractive dress. I might could have lived with the floral design on the bottom of the dress, but the applique on the sheer top is overkill. Oh well...she can't win them all. Onwards and upwards.

Her hair was straighter than usual, but I'm wondering if she'll ever wear it completely straight with no curling at the ends? But, then again, if her hair is like mine (naturally curly) no amount of flat ironing will get rid of the curl. It would take chemicals to pull that off.

- Complete outfit
- Back view
- Side view
- Close up

Agree with you 100%. Without the appliques, it would have been passable.
Any dress, imo, with a bow in the center of an empire waist is a disaster, unless you are under 12

I think it's on of those dresses where you either like it or hate it and I like it on Catherine. I don't know, maybe I'm a weird guy but I like watching Catherine express herself and showing her unique taste in style.

Agree with you 100%. Without the appliques, it would have been passable.
Any dress, imo, with a bow in the center of an empire waist is a disaster, unless you are under 12

WhatKateWore pointed out that it appears that the appliques were in bronze, silver and gold colors. I kind of like that actually- it's a nice touch.

I actually kind of liked her look.

All too fussy - the design, the frill, the sheer neckline, bow etc. One of Kate's worst looks im afraid and her hair being down is also wrong as it covers the embroidary work on the dress.

That pretty much covers it. The dress without the additions seems really nice. One of Kate's worst looks for me.

Kate looks great but that dress is awful. I don't want to see it in the future. She has nice legs though.

I want the black sheer dress. I would love to wear it on an interview.

According to this site Duchess Kate: Duchess Kate Joins The Queen at Glittering Team GB Reception Beatrice and Eugenie were at this engagement as well.

If true, it would be interesting to see what they wore. In my view, while Kate's outfit was a miss this evening, it's the first of her outfits to do so.

On the other hand, I've never seen Beatrice and Eugenie wear anything that has ever impressed me.

Last edited:
Well on a positive note, it appears that Kate is pushing her boundaries of what to wear and how to style her hair for engagements.
This is what I take from last night. I also think the earrings/bracelet are an encouraging sign! Yes it's a little too fussy for my taste, but I don't think it is in any way the disaster described in some posts.:flowers:

she shows sometimes her unique style, i dont blame her for that, she just want to be herself and i like that she's brave. but hell thats really one ugly dress

This dress is awfull, it is a dress for a woman who is 60 years old and not a young woman who is 30. She must change all her wardrobe, too old.

Well I think I' am the only one who like it...I really like the dress....

I like the white version of the dress on the model. It is very pretty, although it does remind me of a nightie. The souped-up version that Kate has is, well, overdecorated.

The dress is nagl. It looks dated, yet I can't find a suitable time period for it. The white version is more tolerable, but barely. She should wear more dresses like the Prabal Gurung she wore on her tour, not this frilly crap.

The dress is nagl. It looks dated, yet I can't find a suitable time period for it. The white version is more tolerable, but barely. She should wear more dresses like the Prabal Gurung she wore on her tour, not this frilly crap.

It is the mid 1960s in style. And not the breakout fun fab part of that period either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom