The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 4: August 2012 - October 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am i the only one who thinks that dress is just a tiny bit Imelda Marcos? And I completely agree that if the overlay can be removed, this dress can be a winner, and worn again.
I think this dress, minus the overlay, would look elegant in almost any situation . . . except this one!
. . . . . Not sure why the embellishments didn't start on the bust area. The proportions are off to me.
It appears to be an overlay and that, I think, is where the problem starts. And yes, the proportions are definitely off. I think it is very unfortunate that the lack of overlay over the bustline actually "frames" her breasts and décolletage . . . not exactly a good look for such a time and place!
I love the dress but I think it's way too low cut to wear in Malaysia. The last time I wore something that low cut it was at a wild street party and I still felt self conscious.
I think that Catherine's dress juxtaposed with those of the other guests ended up looking almost vulgar in it's sparsity above the bust line. Don't they have any decent advisor's at the Palace?

The dress is bit Disney, I agree but she does look very nice. When it comes to the modesty issues, I think she missed the boat. The video and pictures show almost every other woman at the event covered their hair and certainly do not show any chest.

I'm not quite sure what it is about Kate, but if I were in her position, I'd err on the side of discretion. I think a high neck dress would look very nice on her given her "girls" are quite small. :whistling:
I think the amount of bare décolletage is somehow more shocking than showing part of her lower arms would have been. Why on earth didn't she wear one of her beautiful and elegant higher necked evening gowns? The very first pink confection would have looked great.

I weigh in in the Disney costume reject vote. . . . The cut of the dress, style, cut and color, not to mention lack of hairstyle, and jewelry or accessories just don't make it
I think the dress, with overlay, would have looked fabulous with a killer up do, diamond earrings and a really large diamond necklace (something along the lines of the Greville 5 Strand Collier :whistling:). . . but it seems Cinderella's mice lost the baubles . . .

Last edited:
Wow, stunning, gorgeous, awesome, amazing, Cinderella at the ball!

Kate herself looks gorgeous, but I can't go crazy about this gown, sorry. :ermm:
It's quite interesting though how these Malaysian ladies wear their hair... :excl::huh:

Kate looks ABSOLUTELY gorgeous and the gown is exquisite designer perfection. The white and gold combination is very striking indeed whilst the gown is soft and magical. Her hair is simply beautiful. The jewellery is understated but then the Alexander McQueen gown just does it all. This look will certainly take a lot of beating!!!

Last edited:
:previous: To compare this gown with that worn in Malaysia is like comparing apples and pears. The gown Catherine wore for the King of Malaysia's Banquet would have looked totally inappropriate at the dinner hosted by the Govornor of Tuvalu. They are two totally different cultures.

I actually love that Temperley dress. I'll be honest and say that IMO this is the most casual yet utterly elegant ensemble Catherine has sported this tour. Match that with an off the face hair do and it was perfect for this occasion. (As I can't see what's on her feet . . . no problems!) Kudos to Kate for her entire "look", she nailed it!

cereteny she neil it in the tour, she must have a great lady assesing her. and even notice her eye liner is much softr than she normaly use it

The Temperley London dress is nice but I don't love it. The details are interesting. Overall, it's a lovely and elegant dress.

IloveCP said:
The Temperley London dress is nice but I don't love it. The details are interesting. Overall, it's a lovely and elegant dress.

I think this dress looks good but the way Kate wore it was not flattering. I would like to see her wear it again so I could give it another chance.

Not an easy design of dress to wear again and I am not certain if it is really the most flattering look for Kate. However, it definitely suited the occasion and culture for which it was meant. Kate looked happy and confident whilst the floral garland around her head made her look beautiful.

Last edited:
I highly doubt the people in the Solomon Islands are upset about that, if that's the actual case.

It wasn't Catherine's gaffe anyway. Read the article

Kate tonight at a reception for Team GB:

- Complete outfit
- Back view
- Side view
- Close up

I just loath this outfit, especially the flowers and the bow at the back. And I'll be crucified for this by some, but the hairstyle is very unflattering: it basically covers up most of the upper part of the dress (which, upon consideration, may not be too bad a thing since the dress is ugly, imo).

On a more positive note, love the shoes.

Last edited:
I usually like Kate's clothes. But this??? With the sheer, the gold embroidery, and the flounce, it's just too much.:ermm:

I love her hair in this sleek style. I'm not in love with the dress (those appliques are killing me) but neither do I hate it. They style of the the dress is quite nice.

Last edited:
Hmmm .... with different sleeves without these white flowers it could be really nice. As it is this is just too much.

I like the colour of the dress and it fits well, not sure about the flowers but love her shoes and bracelet.
Catherine's smile always adds 5 points IMO lol.

Kate tonight at a reception for Team GB:

- Complete outfit
- Back view
- Side view
- Close up

I just loath this outfit, especially the flowers and the bow at the back. And I'll be crucified for this by some, but the hairstyle is very unflattering: it basically covers up most of the upper part of the dress (which, upon consideration, may not be too bad a thing since the dress is ugly, imo).
Love the shoes.

Kate's smile as always lit up the room but I do have to say that the dress very much reminded me of similar dresses that were around in the 60s and 70s. Very retro. Not my taste at all.

:previous: OK, this one definitely falls into the "What was she thinking?" category. Although, to be honest, I find the greater part of her working wardrobe falls into this category so maybe it's really just "business as usual".

For me the frills and over sized flowers coupled with the ubiquitous little girl do make this yet another rather desperate fail. Oh dear!

Nice shoes though.

All in all, for not having stylists or ladies in waiting, and for buying off the peg, I think Catherine's outfits are on point. Just my opinion, and I'm an 'old fashioned' guy but I like her overall look.

Well on a positive note, it appears that Kate is pushing her boundaries of what to wear and how to style her hair for engagements.

On a not-so-positive note, it appears (to me) that she might be pushing the boundaries in the wrong direction.

And that's about as diplomatic as I can phrase it. ;) :lol:

Frankly, I was shocked. She, always, looks beautiful. This outfit is a loser and her hair isn't styled, it is just hanging.

This definitely isnt my favorite, it seems more Pippa, than Kate. but if she was to wear this busy of a yoke and neckline, I think she should have embraced it and wore her hair up off her neck so that the detail could be there to shine. with her long hair it just looks messy - and that is not her style at all.

I really love the dress, but this was a perfect opportunity to wear her head up. In fact, a sleek ponytail would have been a nice contrast to the 'girliness' of the dress.

I would love the dress if the sleeves and the upper part weren't so see-through. Otherwise it looks good I think. It is a pity that her hair is covering up so much of it.
The length is ok for once, I'm impressed.

The dress is awful! The flowers and the bow are not to my liking. One of her worst looks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom