The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Tonight's gown,
https://twitter.com/re_dailymail/sta...47726948429824

Better pictures will come but to me she looks like a fairy on top of a tree.
Oh dear - that's funny and unfortunately quite fitting.
The dress looks like a costume for a Disney movie, not really enhanced by a neckline which is rather too deep to be appropriate for Malaysia.

Another, closer pic:
http://s10.postimage.org/65rnxj4m1/tujsr.jpg

Old 09-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Very "fairy tale", in the limit of kich, for occidental looks. But might be appropriate, in the "one thousand and one nights" Middle/Far East style.

Boris you are right about the neckline. Too deep, IMO

Old 09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

I like it. The daytime fashion forum was just lamenting about her "safe" choices and how Diana "took risks." Some of Diana's early choices were not so great...

Well, here Catherine took a risk. The dress gives a nod to local styling with the gold band and the flowers. The gold banding elongates the DOC, making her appear tall and elegant. I want to see closer looks at the jewels, please. Pics from this event seem a bit pokier than in Singapore.

I'm just dying to ask her if the gown is soft - or if all that gilt is a bit scratchy!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I like it. The daytime fashion forum was just lamenting about her "safe" choices and how Diana "took risks." Some of Diana's early choices were not so great...

Well, here Catherine took a risk. The dress gives a nod to local styling with the gold band and the flowers. The gold banding elongates the DOC, making her appear tall and elegant. I want to see closer looks at the jewels, please. Pics from this event seem a bit pokier than in Singapore.

I'm just dying to ask her if the gown is soft - or if all that gilt is a bit scratchy!
I think she looks lovely. but is that bare neck just screaming for some bling. wouldnt a diamond necklace have looked lovely? cant wait for more pictures and to see the bling of the other females.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:36 AM
Aristocracy

Being how frugal she seems to be and not to waste a what I think could be a beautiful gown I hope that this overlay is just that. It is removable and she can wear what I think is a beautiful white gown under it in other places. Somewhere she can show her shoulders off. I also think a necklace with such a ornate gown might be hard to pull off but if she ever wears that white gown and I hope she does without the overlay I hope she wears it with a stunning tiara, necklace, earrings and bracelet. Ahhh a woman can dream right!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Courtier

bigger pictures

As usual, the DM has the best pix:Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in Malaysia: Kate Middleton looks every inch the princess at lavish dinner | Mail Online
Old 09-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Courtier

Wow she looks wonderful - what a beautiful dress!
Old 09-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Majesty

What can you say, the Duchess of Cambridge is one stunning young woman. She's truly a future Queen.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Courtier

Remember when the little girls at school that Kate visited were disappointed because she didn't look very princessy in her jeans? Tonight's dress will disappoint no one at that dinner! Verrrry princessy...
And such a nice nod to the fashions of the country...
Old 09-13-2012, 12:10 PM
Serene Highness

The dress looks good on her and she's definetly wearing that dress, instead of the other way around.

But I can't love it. I detest gold. It's so tacky.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Verrrry princessy...
And such a nice nod to the fashions of the country...
I'm sorry, but IMHO this looks 'princessy' enough to be a Walt Disney costume reject, and it's rather a nod to the revealing fashions from some ‘Aladdin’s Lamp’ 1950s Hollywood B-movie than anything else... unfortunately.
I’m actually quite stunned that neither Sarah Burton nor Catherine had the good sense and taste to discard the design after seeing the finished result.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

The dress works on some points for me - nice touch with the details recognising Malaysia. But as some othe rposters have commentated where will she wear this again?? Unless the overlay can be removed. It is an expensive gown

Mentions of customs having to have her shoulders covered but the neckline is very love for a Muslim country.

I often question the McQueen-Kate combination as for me this is another example of the designs not working.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Heir Presumptive

The dress is very pretty. She looks stunning.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
Aristocracy

Am i the only one who thinks that dress is just a tiny bit Imelda Marcos? And I completely agree that if the overlay can be removed, this dress can be a winner, and worn again.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana had a gown that was similar if I recall.

I don't love it.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
Diana had a gown that was similar if I recall.
Yes indeed, the design of one of the last Emmanuel dresses Princess Diana ever wore is comparable – from 1986, and also quite a mistake style-wise.
It was from the Emmanuel’s ‘Diaghilev collection’, meant to be inspired by costumes of Diaghilev ballets and made for a fashion show in benefit of the Red Cross.
Pic:
http://s17.postimage.org/nfew68cbj/Screenshot_2.jpg
Old 09-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

This isn't a pretty dress at all in anyway. The gold embellishment border doesn't line the dress straps which look off IMO. I wider if this is a two piece dress. The white dress underneath looks like it could be worn without the upper layer.
Not sure why the embellishments didn't start on the bust area. The proportions are off to me.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Yes indeed, the design of one of the last Emmanuel dresses Princess Diana ever wore is comparable – from 1986, and also quite a mistake style-wise.
It was from the Emmanuel’s ‘Diaghilev collection’, meant to be inspired by costumes of Diaghilev ballets and made for a fashion show in benefit of the Red Cross.
Pic:
http://s17.postimage.org/nfew68cbj/Screenshot_2.jpg
That's it, thanks! I was frantically searching for that picture. If the dress underneath were a different color then there'd be an Indian-inspired look to it. As it stands the sleeves are lovely, but I agree with others, it misses the mark IMO.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebaby View Post
Am i the only one who thinks that dress is just a tiny bit Imelda Marcos? And I completely agree that if the overlay can be removed, this dress can be a winner, and worn again.
I agree. The nod to Malaysia was nice, but I can't like this dress as is. The gold definitely reminds me of Imelda Marcos. And after a closer look, the under dress looks to be a beautiful dress on it's own. The dress is princess(y), but that still doesn't make me like it. Also, the jewels are a little underwelming. I'm thinking something bigger would have been better, but I also know the Duchess doesn't necessarily go with the theme, bigger is better, where her jewelry is concerned.
Old 09-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Royal Highness

I love it... And now there's no way it can be said she doesn't take risks.
Whilst a dress like this will quite rightly divide opinions, I personally think a lot of thought and care has gone into choosing materials and designs to acknowledge th host countires which I'm sure is both recognised and appreciated.
Any signs of her footwear? (Love the gifts she was given. I hope she wears them.)

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge eveningwear, duchess of cambridge gala dress, eveningwear, fashion