The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

A number of people have made excuses for Kate in response to others' criticisms of the dress and the fact she wore her hair long and not up, on the basis she is a nursing mother who has to contend with the demands of a baby when getting ready to go out, citing their own experiences in support of their view.

I don't understand the connection. I can see no link between the baby and the odd choice of dress. I can see no link between the baby and the fact her hair is down and not up. Kate is not an ordinary woman and does not exist in the world inhabited by the rest of us. She can, and should, have people to help her with such things. She should have someone to do her hair and to help her with her clothes. If she chooses not to, she should perhaps reconsider her wardrobe choices.

The dress is a sophisticated one which calls for her hair to be done in a sophisticated style; it calls for a hairdo which enables the neckline of the dress to be visible and not covered up with floppy hair. Mind you, I think the neckline is horrible, and maybe Kate thought it would look better covered up, but I doubt this was the only dress option available to her. Perhaps the main problem is the choice of dress itself.

And she needs some deportment lessons. If she's going to wear a dress like that, she needs to stand and walk in a manner appropriate to that look. She should study footage of Diana wearing bespangled outfits like that.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Courtier

This is getting ridiculous. Is she not free enough to wear her HAIR the way she wants? I understand about royal deportment and obligations and all of that, but HAIR??? Who cares about hair this much?? Yes, I am sure her imitating her deceased mother in law would go over well. I do not understand the constant barrage of criticisms about a new mother and her HAIR

Old 09-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I can understand the different points of view that are aired. It is all based on if you believe Kate looked tired and sloppy at the Tusk event. Then, if you do, should it be blamed on her nursing a 7 week old baby.
I don't think she looked tired at all and I liked the dress. Sorry to bring up the D word, but besides the christening, I don't think Diana ventured out until Princess Grace's funeral, when william was almost 3 months old.
If Kate looks tired and harried to many, maybe she is taking on too much too soon. Having a baby under 3-4 months old, no matter how easy the baby, and how much help you have, is a huge transition, which is why there are maternity leaves.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:29 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
A number of people have made excuses for Kate in response to others' criticisms of the dress and the fact she wore her hair long and not up, on the basis she is a nursing mother who has to contend with the demands of a baby when getting ready to go out, citing their own experiences in support of their view.

I don't understand the connection. I can see no link between the baby and the odd choice of dress. I can see no link between the baby and the fact her hair is down and not up. Kate is not an ordinary woman and does not exist in the world inhabited by the rest of us. She can, and should, have people to help her with such things. She should have someone to do her hair and to help her with her clothes. If she chooses not to, she should perhaps reconsider her wardrobe choices.
Agree 100%!!! Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Courtier

I should point out that there are some of us who aren't going I make excuses for her because I think she looked great.

The dress was properly fitted and was appropriate for her post-baby body.

Her hair is luscious, long and healthy. I, for one, would be absolutely thrilled to have her hair. Would an updo also be lovely? Of course, but given the cut of the dress, hair down is not out of bounds.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Kate tonight at the charity dinner is wearing this Jenny Packham black gown
Old 10-24-2013, 04:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marika86 View Post
Kate tonight at the charity dinner is wearing this Jenny Packham black gown
Perfection. A perfect mix of glamour and elegance. She really took my breath away!
Old 10-24-2013, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Its not black (source DMirror) it is midnight blue! Noticeable in this pic

http://t.co/z6YDLBAC45

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Heir Apparent

It looks like navy too me but I either way she looks wonderful; lovely dress.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5002/jb9a.jpg

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4387/7p4v.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/711/pv63.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/585/f7hr.jpg
Old 10-24-2013, 04:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Its not black (source DMirror) it is midnight blue! Noticeable in this pic

http://t.co/z6YDLBAC45
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
It looks like navy too me but I either way she looks wonderful; lovely dress.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5002/jb9a.jpg
Stunning photos ladies! To me, it looks like royal blue.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Royal Highness

I love the dress, but it desperately needed a necklace.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I agree. Or her hair pulled back with some great earrings. Just something else. The dress is lovely though and of course fits her perfectly.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
But if she'd worn a necklace then she would have had to wear her hair up cos people would complain they couldn't see that, and then others would have said that she shouldn't have bothered etc etc Nice circular argument.

She is like Charlene - she isn't into jewellery that much - just a few personal pieces that she repeats. Time enough to bring out the bling

Old 10-24-2013, 05:15 PM
Royal Highness

I'll wait until we get some more photos, but I am underwhelmed by the overall look.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:22 PM
Aristocracy

She looks like she got ready in a hurry and ran out of time maybe George was being demanding and wanting a feed or cuddle. She actually has that slightly disshevelled look that first time Mums have in the beginning I like it its endearing :)
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 PM
Nobility

For this kind of neckline, I will just usually wear a brooch where the V tip is.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:52 PM
Serene Highness

As usual the hair is what catches my eye more than what she's wearing, can't she do something with it? must it always just hang like that?Aaarrgh!
Old 10-24-2013, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Re jewellery - diamond earrings; diamond bracelet and a new ring with (poss) diamonds.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:11 PM
Courtier

My only complaint:I would have gone with a stronger lip. She's minimalist without being totally austere, and she looks so classy, it makes me want to cry.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Re jewellery - apart from the diamond/ruby necklace (which I would never wear with dark blue) does she have a "statement necklace" to wear? So many assumptions.................

Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge eveningwear, duchess of cambridge gala dress, eveningwear, fashion