The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 05:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Kate tonight at a reception for Team GB:

- Complete outfit
- Back view
- Side view
- Close up

I just loath this outfit, especially the flowers and the bow at the back. And I'll be crucified for this by some, but the hairstyle is very unflattering: it basically covers up most of the upper part of the dress (which, upon consideration, may not be too bad a thing since the dress is ugly, imo).

On a more positive note, love the shoes.
More Pics
1- http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/reuters/...n.grid-6x3.jpg
2- http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/reuters/..._3_britain.jpg
3- http://media4.onsugar.com/files/2012...on-Team-GB.jpg
4- http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/R...JD5SNzfF3l.jpg
5- http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mc...vw2o1_1280.jpg

Old 10-23-2012, 06:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

- Complete outfit
- Back view
- Side view
- Close up

I just loath this outfit, especially the flowers and the bow at the back. And I'll be crucified for this by some, but the hairstyle is very unflattering: it basically covers up most of the upper part of the dress (which, upon consideration, may not be too bad a thing since the dress is ugly, imo).

Artemisia - did you notice there are also pin tuck pleats on the bodice. I agree with you there is too much going on with this frock. The silhouette is not bad, though.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

All too fussy - the design, the frill, the sheer neckline, bow etc. One of Kate's worst looks im afraid and her hair being down is also wrong as it covers the embroidary work on the dress.

Duchess of Cambridge wins gold in the style stakes at Buckingham Palace celebration for Great Britain's Olympic medal winners | Mail Online

Old 10-23-2012, 06:54 PM
Heir Apparent

The appliques were overkill on a very girlish dress. I may have given it a pass if it weren't for the heavily embroidered hem and I guess I'm old-fashioned when I express my dismay at bra straps showing through the sheer bodice. I think a strapless bra would have been better. The curtain of hair just bores me now, but I do like her bracelet and shoes.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Gentry

I don't hate this dress. I actually think it would've looked very nice had she worn her hair up, but as is, it does look a little sloppy.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:47 PM
Serene Highness

I do like the dress, it fits Kate very well. Would opt for a different hairstyle this time, the way she wore her hair does no justice to the dress. With an up-do and maybe pearl earrings the dress would look way more elegant then it does. Nonetheless Kate looked great. Love the shoes.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

She looked like she found a dress in the pre-teen section of a store, washed her hair and got dressed. For a very stylish lady, she missed the mark and look foolish.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Heir Apparent

OMG look how nice this dress is without the added appliques. What a missed opportunity because Catherine looks great in the style of the dress. She doesn't need the extra fluff. It's gilding the lily.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2v97nug.jpg
Old 10-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
OMG look how nice this dress is without the added appliques. What a missed opportunity because Catherine looks great in the style of the dress. She doesn't need the extra fluff. It's gilding the lily.

I am affraid if the dress would have been without the added appliques, it would have been considered a boring dress...
Old 10-23-2012, 08:29 PM
Serene Highness

If the critics were allowed to personally choose Catherine's outfits, they still wouldn't be happy.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Well, yes. Opinions on fashion do differ. And this is a fashion thread.
Also, it is impossible (or at least, highly improbable) to like someone's sartorial choices all the time.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
The appliques were overkill on a very girlish dress. I may have given it a pass if it weren't for the heavily embroidered hem and I guess I'm old-fashioned when I express my dismay at bra straps showing through the sheer bodice. I think a strapless bra would have been better. The curtain of hair just bores me now, but I do like her bracelet and shoes.
The appliques were a horror. I wish she chose a version of the dress that didn't have them. With the right jewelry, this style of dress without any embellishments would have looked wonderful on the Duchess. The bra straps on display is a pet peeve of mine as well. I don't relish the idea of showing the world any part of one's undergarments, even if they 'match' the dress. I do love the bracelet. It would have been such a great little accessory if the dress wasn't so busy. Catherine hardly ever misses with her choices of attire, but this is one of those times that should be called a little 'fluke'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post

Wow! What a difference the lack of extra appliques makes! Catherine would have knocked 'em dead if she appeared in the plain black variation of this dress. Too bad she chose to go forgo 'less is more' concept of this reception.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Aristocracy

Don't like the dress from the Team GB reception. I do not have words for how much I hate those shoes. This weekend, seeing pictures from Luxembourg, I finally figured out what women's feet remind me of when they wear an exaggerated platform like Catherine's (and Stephanie's awful purple shoes for that matter)- from the front their feet look like a horse's hoof.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:56 PM
Aristocracy

A rare misstep for Catherine, I think. That is just not an attractive dress. I might could have lived with the floral design on the bottom of the dress, but the applique on the sheer top is overkill. Oh well...she can't win them all. Onwards and upwards.

Her hair was straighter than usual, but I'm wondering if she'll ever wear it completely straight with no curling at the ends? But, then again, if her hair is like mine (naturally curly) no amount of flat ironing will get rid of the curl. It would take chemicals to pull that off.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:

- Complete outfit
- Back view
- Side view
- Close up

Agree with you 100%. Without the appliques, it would have been passable.
Any dress, imo, with a bow in the center of an empire waist is a disaster, unless you are under 12
Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 PM
Majesty

I think it's on of those dresses where you either like it or hate it and I like it on Catherine. I don't know, maybe I'm a weird guy but I like watching Catherine express herself and showing her unique taste in style.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Agree with you 100%. Without the appliques, it would have been passable.
Any dress, imo, with a bow in the center of an empire waist is a disaster, unless you are under 12
WhatKateWore pointed out that it appears that the appliques were in bronze, silver and gold colors. I kind of like that actually- it's a nice touch.

I actually kind of liked her look.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
All too fussy - the design, the frill, the sheer neckline, bow etc. One of Kate's worst looks im afraid and her hair being down is also wrong as it covers the embroidary work on the dress.
That pretty much covers it. The dress without the additions seems really nice. One of Kate's worst looks for me.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kate looks great but that dress is awful. I don't want to see it in the future. She has nice legs though.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I want the black sheer dress. I would love to wear it on an interview.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Closed Thread

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge eveningwear, duchess of cambridge gala dress, eveningwear, fashion