The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 3: February 2012 - August 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How funny that, in the daytime when she wore a suit with all kinds of interest around the neckline (fabric flowers, enamel poppy brooch) she had her hair hanging down, obscuring all that detail, and now tonight she has her hair back when there's no detail at all. How about a statement necklace, this dress is screaming for something like that to liven it up. Especially as this was an evening event. (think Anna Wintour - she wears gorgeous statement necklaces all the time, or Michelle Obama when she breaks out the Tom Binns)

The eye-makeup - if she could just relent. Its too much - as is her hair - and yet both these items - particularly the hair (in my experience) is governed by the wishes of the feller. :blush: Maybe she likes it long but its getting very long - a lot of hair to manage. My guess is the hubby is having a say in the matter - as is the way, as we know. ;) When babies come along she may reconsider. For now it is what it is.

u and others have talk about her hair and eyemakeup. i love how she wears her eye makeup shes not wearing false eyelashes or had plastic surgery but she is a reg looking women with as some have the opinion of wearing to much eyemakeup
and her hair is fine the way it is imo . after she has children i hope she wouldnt change her hair lenght why? princess mary hasnt just because some have had their hair shorten doesent mean she will...dispite what others may think she does sit the trend so the trend for rt now is long hair..if u cant grow it buy it , its still is yours
;)

its all imo

she is a reg looking women with as some have the opinion of wearing to much eyemakeup

princess mary hasnt just because some have had their hair shorten doesent mean she will

1; Catherine's eye make up, is not the regular make up I see on a day to day basis. Whilst there is no heavy foundation, mix matched neck and face tones or bright lipstick her eyes half the time look like bruises.

2; I'm confused by this statement, Princess Mary has cut her hair, dyed her hair, up-doed it, down-doed it numerous times. Catherine keeps her hair down, with the occasional half do.

This particular tread as got to be the most circular, redundant tread at the TRF

Last edited:
The particular tread as got to be the most circular, redundant tread at the TRF

Oh no, there are much more circular ones. Sophia & CP, the triangle, Catherine's make up might be getting up their but it does change occasionally.

Lumutqueen said:
1; Catherine's eye make up, is not the regular make up I see on a day to day basis. Whilst there is no heavy foundation, mix matched neck and face tones or bright lipstick her eyes half the time look like bruises.

2; I'm confused by this statement, Princess Mary has cut her hair, dyed her hair, up-doed it, down-doed it numerous times. Catherine keeps her hair down, with the occasional half do.

Kates eyemake up is definitely the norm in Hollywood, actually her eyemake up is less severe than those worn by famous women who are not royal who lean towards the smokey eye look. On campuses around America girls are going for the severe eye liner look and compared to them Kate looks modest. I really wish I was give. $5 for everytime someone on this board complained about Kate's makeup like she is the only royal lady who wears hers like that.
I also hope Kate never cuts her hair especially is she likes it the way it is. She could end up looking like Charlene.

Last edited:
I agree - I'm guessing that she bought the dress and thought that the slightly african inspired beading details would be a nice nod to the movie. She looks nicely dressed to show respect. That dress that Guy Ritchie's girlfriend wore was NOT - so much side cleavage!

I think that the belt was the statement. it really jazzed up the dress a lot. I also think her earrings added some flair so that it wasn't so staid. I think she did good! This is one of my favourite outfits so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
How funny that, in the daytime when she wore a suit with all kinds of interest around the neckline (fabric flowers, enamel poppy brooch) she had her hair hanging down, obscuring all that detail, and now tonight she has her hair back when there's no detail at all. How about a statement necklace, this dress is screaming for something like that to liven it up. Especially as this was an evening event. (think Anna Wintour - she wears gorgeous statement necklaces all the time, or Michelle Obama when she breaks out the Tom Binns)

I thought the gold earring were a "statement piece" in a way....I think a necklace, belt and the earring would have been way to much.

William and Kate attended a black tie dinner hosted by the Thirty Club.
She wore a cream long evening dress with centre high slit, combining it with silver high heel Jimmy Choo's and silver clutch.
- The dress (front view)
- The dress (back view)
- Close up and the bag
- The high slit
- The shoes

I can't say I like this dress or the overall look. It might have looked fantastic with the help of a necklace or even a brooch, but as it is, it's just a bland, average look.
But what I hate most are the shoes: open toe silver shoes with a cream long-sleeved dress like that? Not a very good idea. The shoes may be Jimmy Choo but they look cheap and tacky.

Last edited:
William and Kate attended a black tie dinner hosted by the Thirty Club.
- The whole look

I can't say I like this dress. It might have looked fantastic with the help of a necklace or even a brooch, but as it is, it's just a bland, average look.
But what I hate most are the shoes: open toe shoes with a long-sleeved dress like that? Not a very good idea.

Originally posted by ghost_night554 in the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge current events thread.

Usually I don't mind she's a bit of a "neutral" dresser for lack of a better term but totally agree, this is just bland. I don't mind the dress so much if it was maybe a brighter color, or had statement jewelry.....And I do greatly hate the shoes with it....she missed on this one, IMO, but oh well can't all be winners

I don't care for this look at all. I think if she livened the dress up with some jewels, it would have been nice, but this is striking me as just going into one's closet, and grabbing the first thing that is within reach.

She looks lovely and elegant, if very boring

The dress is eh, and the shoes I don't like but overall she looks elegant.

Good lord but that's a stunning dress. It's amazing how something so simple can be transformed by a long, lean frame. On a shorter woman this would be awful, but on Kate it is glorious. The contrast with her dark hair is really eye-catching. Adore the Jimmy Choos as well.

One of her best ever looks.

Last edited:
Boring is right. A pretty enough dress, in fact, it looks like an interesting cut. A tiara or some interesting jewels in her hair or around her neck/face would have jazzed this up nicely!!!! :)

Good lord but that's a stunning dress. It's amazing how something so simple can be transformed by a long, lean frame. On a shorter woman this would be awful, but on Kate it is glorious. The contrast with her dark hair is a real contrast. Adore the Jimmy Choos as well.

Exactly, could not have said it better!

I Think Overall She Looks Nice , But Not Successful Choice Not One Of Her Best , and The Outfit Miss Something , Thank you for Posting All .

I think the dress is great actually, but I don't like the styling. Normally, I'm not on Team Updo, and I think her hair usually looks great down, but with this dress- it overwhelmed the dress. She needed sleek hair and some amazing earrings to really make the look sophisticated.

Catherine's, Duchess of Cambridge, dress per se is fine.
On the other hand, the hairstyle is overwhelming. Sleek ironed hair would have been much better. Glittery shoes are cheap.

Last edited:
I think the dress is great actually, but I don't like the styling. Normally, I'm not on Team Updo, and I think her hair usually looks great down, but with this dress- it overwhelmed the dress. She needed sleek hair and some amazing earrings to really make the look sophisticated.

I agree abut the hair. I usually don't care whether she wears it up or down, but I think an updo would have really complimented this outfit. That aside, I think she looks wonderful. I really love the simplicity of the dress and I think the shoes are cute. All in all, this is one of my favorite outfits.

Last edited:
Good lord but that's a stunning dress. It's amazing how something so simple can be transformed by a long, lean frame. On a shorter woman this would be awful, but on Kate it is glorious. The contrast with her dark hair is really eye-catching. Adore the Jimmy Choos as well.

I agree!:flowers:
It's funny, just recently I read some criticism that she wears boring shoes, never open-toe.
But now that she has, some people dislike that.

I think the dress is fine, anything else would be too much with the shiny shoes and the dangling earrings.

Same shoes she wore at Bafta LA event. Don't remember any criticism then.

:previous:
She also wore the shoes to a reception in aid of the National Memorial Arboretum Appeal at St James's Palace on November 10, 2011 in London, England (with silver Jenny Packham dress). I disliked the shoes then, and I dislike them now. They did look better with silver dress though, whereas they just clash horribly with this cream one.

Just love the dress. Don't think it goes too well with her haircolor, just my impression.
A necklace and some kind of updo would have really improved the look of the dress.
The shoes don't go at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom