The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear Part 3: February 2012 - August 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
suztav said:
She looks lovely, as usual. However, I'm always perplexed by how she always, always, always, holds her hands in front of her. Her clutch is always held in her hands in front of her mid-section. I've seen so many other royal woman hold their clutches under their arms so their hands are free by their sides.

'Just curious ...

I ve noticed also but i presume she changes position once inside, as she has to greet people, so she should hold cluch with left hand.

I think she's not entirely sure of what to do with her hands on a public engagement. Even when she doesn't have a clutch she clasps her hands together. Given the way people over-analyse literally every little thing she does, I wouldn't blame her for being a tad self-conscious.

It reminds me of one of my friends who went on to become a barrister and as part of his course he was filmed speaking in public. He said when he watched it back he was doing all sorts of things with his hands and his tie and shuffling his feet and never realised it.

Same old, same old. I would have almost said that the dress is bland, but then it are the accessories that make her dresses look so boring IMO. Black-ish shoes and clutch with this lovely shade of the dress: no. Her curtain of hair that has quite a boring color per se all down as usual: utterly boring and common. :hiding:

I really like the dress. It's chique, safe but the turqouise details around the neck and sleeves give it a playful touch.

But again, I would like to see that hair (albeit gorgeous) out of her face and change up her make-up. (iow: stop lining those lower eye-lids. It only does favor to those with big eyes)

[edit] Different shoes and clutch wouldn't have hurt either. This is why I appreciate Maxima's style, she knows how to do accessorize.

Last edited:
Same old, same old. I would have almost said that the dress is bland, but then it are the accessories that make her dresses look so boring IMO. Black-ish shoes and clutch with this lovely shade of the dress: no. Her curtain of hair that has quite a boring color per se all down as usual: utterly boring and common. :hiding:
You like to play with fire, don't you? :hornets:
I quite agree with you though; she could have done so much better!

Can't say I 'm crazy about the dress but I love the colour.

Anything other than plain shoes and handbag would be clashing with the lovely turquoise and gold detailing. The detailing at the neck and the cuffs are the star of the show here. As we saw with CP Victoria lately and her bright green platforms, some dresses just need an understated shoe, and this is one of them.

But hey, at least it's not just another variant of beige like some royal ladies tend to go for.

She looks lovely, as usual. However, I'm always perplexed by how she always, always, always, holds her hands in front of her. Her clutch is always held in her hands in front of her mid-section. I've seen so many other royal woman hold their clutches under their arms so their hands are free by their sides.

'Just curious ...

Maybe she does it to avoid having to shake hands with a lot of people.
I hate shaking hands with anyone; perhaps Kate does too?

I love the outfit- the color, the African stones, but next time a little more glamour please! :cool:
I was so looking forward to a gown....:ermm:

Some of the people there were wearing jeans. I think Kate's as dressed up as she needs to be.

I wish it was a dress, I hate the peplum, it makes the whole look quite matronly. The applications around the neck look great, not sure they work well with the dress colour though. The applications on the sleeves look odd, too much for me.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/04/25/article-2135095-12C478BE000005DC-310_634x1149.jpg
Other than that, I think Kate looks good but I do agree with others, its the usual boring appearance, slouching along with hair & hands in front = very bad posture.

I have no issue with you not liking the dress, shoes, bag , hair even though I don't agree. But I really fail to understand your use of the word "common". Do you mean as in seen regularly? or do you mean it in a more derogatory sense?

The dress itself I like, but the embellishment on the arms isn't at the bottom which I find weird. On Catherine the dress look alright, but for such a dull day and an exciting premiere she could have worn something brighter. Since that "incident" in the yellow skirt, she's avoided all bright colours.

Also, again with the eye make up.

I think she's not entirely sure of what to do with her hands on a public engagement. Even when she doesn't have a clutch she clasps her hands together. Given the way people over-analyse literally every little thing she does, I wouldn't blame her for being a tad self-conscious.

It reminds me of one of my friends who went on to become a barrister and as part of his course he was filmed speaking in public. He said when he watched it back he was doing all sorts of things with his hands and his tie and shuffling his feet and never realised it.

I've also been taped ... scary! Apparently, I close my eyes when speaking :bang:

Forgive me, but I really like that dress..and the shoes/handbag along with it. The only thing that bothers me is the fact that there is material hanging under the studded cuffs. I think the cuffs should have ended the sleeves, just like it does the collar.

I think I like it. I do miss the glam of the Diana days, when ladies would show up dressed to the 9s.

I know this is sounding old, but I wish she would do something with her hair!!!!! :bang:

I have no issue with you not liking the dress, shoes, bag , hair even though I don't agree. But I really fail to understand your use of the word "common". Do you mean as in seen regularly? or do you mean it in a more derogatory sense?

That made me stop and pause too. I think we should give Dierna the benefit of the doubt and assume she meant seen regularly. As you say, 'common' can be a pretty demeaning term.

I've also been taped ... scary! Apparently, I close my eyes when speaking :bang:

Oh dear! Isn't it amazing the little quirks and mannerisms we all have that we don't even notice? My friend who was filmed also discovered that he sways side to side when speaking formally in public. One of his tutors told him to stop because he was making him sea sick!

Last edited by a moderator:
the dress i ok, love the embellishment although I am not quite sure if it really goes together with the grey dress or costume or whatever that is. The make up is heavy especially the eyebrows and her hair is not done properly this time. Several strands are just hanging loosely around but who cares when I see presumably new earrings ??? Do we have a better picture of them ? Very curious about them ....

So it's not a dress, not a two piece suit, but a mix of the both. Think I dislike it more now.

I prefer the look from the front rather than the back. She looks very nice and it's nice to see her again. Very lovely color on her.

I'm going to say that it's a dress. Look at the zipper down the back - it extends beyond the peplum. I think the dress gives the appearance of being two pieces, but isn't. I'm sure someone will have a definitive answer soon.

I don't mind the look. It's a touch quirky, a half-step outside her usual blank-dress-with-no-embellishment-or-accessories. That said, I also think it's a little old for her. Also, I dont' mind her hair down, she has beautiful hair; I just wish she would not let so much of it hang down in front, it constantly obscures whatever detailing there might be on her clothes. If she would just push it behind her I'd be okay with it.

Also, I think the shoes are way too heavy and wintery for this outfit. Imagine something springy with maybe a little turquoise detailing!

the dress i ok, love the embellishment although I am not quite sure if it really goes together with the grey dress or costume or whatever that is. The make up is heavy especially the eyebrows and her hair is not done properly this time. Several strands are just hanging loosely around but who cares when I see presumably new earrings ??? Do we have a better picture of them ? Very curious about them ....

Detail on this link - I've also put it on the jewellery thread. Scroll down

Duchess Kate

It would seem, from your link cepe, that Matthew Williamson has added some further embellishment to the neckline of the dress, as the model only has it on the cuffs. I'm glad they made that amendment. I'm really pleased that Kate's again supporting great British design.

Kate seems to try and always keep one shoulder 'free' of hair, so we can see the embellishment quite clearly.

I like the dress, but not the shoes.
And her make-up again... :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom