The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM
Courtier

Wow! I'm suprised at all the comments about how she dresses. I find that I like her "simple elegance". It suits her. she is not trying to be something she isn't. It's just her way of being dressy and comfortable, understated and elegant at the same time.
I think if she went another route and dressed flashier, or with more vibrant colors, jewerly all over her, and heels to high so that she can not walk correctly in them, she would not be perceived as being herself, rather, trying too hard to fit in with the "in" crowd.
Some may say that she dress matronly, but I just think that she likes being simple and elegant, rather than loud and flambouyant!
Personaly, I love the way she dresses. she wears the clothes rather than them wearing her. she never upstages anyones, but makes a statement all her own. and as of yet, she does not feel the need to show tons of skin to make others look at her. And with that alone, I applaud her fshion sense. JMO.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Opinions can and do vary.
I am a great fan of sophisticated, even minimalistic outfits. However, the cream gown looked unfinished and bland to me; a good pair of earrings or a delicate necklace could have corrected that. The shoes might have looked good with another dress (although I'm generally not a fan of this particular style anyway), but they went horribly with the dress. Again, that's my opinion; I don't expect everyone or anyone at all to agree with it.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I have to agree with you, Artemisia, without denigrating Kate or her innate elegance, of course. I also feel that she should learn the difference in varying her hairstyle to suit the style of outfit she wears for maximum effect.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Kate obviously doesn't like her hair up; no reason why she should, and she isn't going to do it if she doesn't like it.

Isn't anyone else tired of hearing about it?
I am. It's starting to remind me of the tired complained about Princess Victoria ponytail.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Heir Apparent

OK, there's boring and then there is boring! If the hair is boring then it is boring. Fashion is perception and we all have our own opinions. Denigrating posters that don't agree with you is really counter-productive on a fashion thread although I have to admit the term "hoochie" has no place on such a thread.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:54 PM
Aristocracy

I thought Kate's dress had the potential for elegant but in my opinion, the slit practically to her underwear took the elegance away. I think plain works well particularly when everyone else goes over the top bare. Could the dress have benefitted with the addition of a brooch or necklace - yes, but her hair probably would have covered it up.

My problem is with the shoes. I don't mind the color or the red nail polish, though I do think a cream or silver closed toe would have been more in keeping with the simplicity of the dress. What I don't like is the heel and platform. Everytime I see these shoes, I think of Las Vegas showgirls in sequins and feathers and very little else, if you get my drift. That would be the only place those shoes would be acceptable. In addition, if you look carefully at Kate's little toe, she already has a bunion from the hooker shoes she wears. How many years is it going to be before we see stories about her need for foot surgery after she ruins her feet in the idiotic heels she wears?
Old 05-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

When is the last time you guys have been in a shoe store? All the shoes are platform and peak a boo toed. I think Kate looks great (though in need of a sandwich or 12). She's entitled to paint her nails whatever color she wants. It lasts all of about 5-7 days, after all. It's not like she got a tatoo.

I bet her favorite days are the rare ones she gets to wear jeans and a t shirt....
Old 05-09-2012, 08:51 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
In addition, if you look carefully at Kate's little toe, she already has a bunion from the hooker shoes she wears. How many years is it going to be before we see stories about her need for foot surgery after she ruins her feet in the idiotic heels she wears?
I wonder about that EVERY time I see any woman in that type of shoe! Many years ago I had to wear heels - and my feet are in terrible shape because of that. I am very glad that I can stick to my "Reeboks" now - or better yet - no shoes at all!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
OK, there's boring and then there is boring! If the hair is boring then it is boring. Fashion is perception and we all have our own opinions. Denigrating posters that don't agree with you is really counter-productive on a fashion thread although I have to admit the term "hoochie" has no place on such a thread.

It was not my intention to denigrate anyone; I was simply trying to make a point that the constant karping about Kate not wearing her hair up is really getting tiresome.

By now it's clear that she doesn't care for that style, or else she'd have done it by now.

So why keep saying repeatedly that she should wear it up? Anne isn't apt to change her style after all these years; Camilla doesn't change hers; the Queen doesn't change hers! Why should Kate change to a style she obviously doesn't care for?

However, It is not my intention to insult anyone, as I said.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
When is the last time you guys have been in a shoe store? All the shoes are platform and peak a boo toed.
That probably accounts for the fact that finding elegant, stylish and comfortable shoes is a real nightmare.

When I was shoe hunting a couple of weeks ago, I spent hours looking for sandals (strangely enough, silver ones as well) to go with a dress I wanted to wear to a wedding. Didn't really have high demands: just a pair that would not look cheap, tacky or showgirl. And yet no matter what price range I looked, from high street to high end (including Jimmy Choo's) - no luck. Ended up wearing my trusted black Gianmarco Lorenzi pair.

I suppose there is no account for taste; what might seem elegant and tasteful to me may look tacky to someone else, and vice versa. It's just I really don't understand why all the designers insist on creating shoes that are obviously not for wearing, unless you like slow torture. Kate's silver shoes are horrible; they may cost hundreds of pounds, but look pretty much the same as cheap, showgirl shoes. At least, they do to me.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
So why keep saying repeatedly that she should wear it up?
Probably because she wears some pretty amazing Eveningwear and the style and detail are obliterated by a curtain of hair. Same goes for jewellery. When she wears earrings we are lucky to get a really good shot because they are obscured by a curtain of little girl hair.

Many royals and celebrities have long hair and wear it loose but they realise that people want to see their faces so, when they are "on show", they style it away from the face, unlike Catherine's ubiquitous curtain.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Probably because she wears some pretty amazing Eveningwear and the style and detail are obliterated by a curtain of hair. Same goes for jewellery. When she wears earrings we are lucky to get a really good shot because they are obscured by a curtain of little girl hair.

Many royals and celebrities have long hair and wear it loose but they realise that people want to see their faces so, when they are "on show", they style it away from the face, unlike Catherine's ubiquitous curtain.
Exactly. And honestly, there are times when I think it looks fantastic down, even at black tie events. I loved it at the BAFTA event in the lavender evening gown. It worked with that dress. It also worked well with the black velvet dress she wore to the Sun Military Awards.

A dress like this though- it's all about the silhouette, and having her hair down ruins that look. If she wants to wear her hair down, she should stick to styles where it works.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Courtier

I for one don't think her hair being down ruined any of her look/dress
Old 05-09-2012, 11:11 PM
Courtier

I think Kate has a very predictable style. It's simple bordering at times on the boring (well to me at least) and her hair is the way she likes it. At this stage she doesn't seem to feel the need to change it and in time this will change. As you get older that style of hair needs to change. Kate just isn't a girl who likes to try new things with her hair or clothes it seems. It is a pity because it means we don't see the lovely jewels or the full impact of some of the clothes she wears maybe someone will point that out to her. I do think it's her safety net and she hides behind it so it will be around for awhile. I am not a shoe girl and I am not all that impressed with the ones she wore you can get some nice shoes and the split was very high but if it wasn't there it would have probably looked too old on her.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:25 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadow
I think Kate has a very predictable style. It's simple bordering at times on the boring (well to me at least) and her hair is the way she likes it. At this stage she doesn't seem to feel the need to change it and in time this will change. As you get older that style of hair needs to change. Kate just isn't a girl who likes to try new things with her hair or clothes it seems. It is a pity because it means we don't see the lovely jewels or the full impact of some of the clothes she wears maybe someone will point that out to her. I do think it's her safety net and she hides behind it so it will be around for awhile. I am not a shoe girl and I am not all that impressed with the ones she wore you can get some nice shoes and the split was very high but if it wasn't there it would have probably looked too old on her.
I totally, completely agree with your post! You said it right when you said Kate has "predictable style". She definitely does. Nothing's wrong being predictable in the fashion world, but she could at least step out of the box and do something different once in awhile. How I wish she were open to try new things! I think her hairstyle is definitely her hiding some insecurities and it's the only way she knows how to be comfortable, hence the safety net.

She needs an updo...and I will keep saying it till I see it!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

I think there is a balance between people complaining about Kate's hair etc each time and people saying they are tired about the complaints about her hair etc each time - where is the problem. Its a free forum, nobody is forced to make a statement here.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Kate Middleton: Nancy Dell'Olio thinks she has no style | Mail Online
Old 05-10-2012, 04:38 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think she has a wonderful style, very simple and elegant, very wise choices, she is always a winner to me...not too mucht pretentious, she has the balance! I love her sense of fashion1 I love to see her also in casual clothes!http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AKHbU4Nr68...preview_wm.jpg
(camping with a scout group)
Old 05-10-2012, 05:02 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by biboquinhas View Post
I think she has a wonderful style, very simple and elegant, very wise choices, she is always a winner to me...not too mucht pretentious, she has the balance! I love her sense of fashion1 I love to see her also in casual clothes!http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AKHbU4Nr68...preview_wm.jpg
(camping with a scout group)
Completely agree, despite all the criticism.
She is the future princess to be, she couldn't be very extravagant.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:06 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
I think there is a balance between people complaining about Kate's hair etc each time and people saying they are tired about the complaints about her hair etc each time - where is the problem. Its a free forum, nobody is forced to make a statement here.
That's true, but the constant discussion does make for a boring thread. It's not like Kate is the only royal to wear the same hairstyle, it's just that their fashion threads aren't filled with page after page of complaints about it. Most posters have learned to ignore the hair and just focus on the clothes (i.e. Victoria's thread). Hopefully this thread will get that way.

I do find that a lot of complaints about Kate's fashion choices (boring style and colors, skirts being too short, too much makeup, etc.) are things that are not much of an issue when other royal women do it. I'll go into their threads and see the same fashion choices that Kate is criticized for, being either ignored or only briefly acknowledged - rarely will there be page after page focused solely on it. I've even seen some royals praised for some of Kate's "bad" fashion choices - like wearing the same boring color/style or minimal jewelry.

I do understand that style is subjective and everyone won't like the same things, but some of the criticism seems really personal and nitpicky. I mean, now her nail polish is being criticized?