The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 2: November 2011 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to Part 2 of the thread for The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear!

You can find the old thread here:

** The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 1: June 2011 - November 2011 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Before we even start this thread, I will remind everyone of what was posted in the Duchess of Cambridge's daytime fashion thread - and is applicable here also:

"This is a fashion thread, weight and health are no subjects for our discussion here!"

Posts discussing weight, and the weight of other royals as well, will be removed at moderator discretion.

Kate in a silver evening gown..

I think I'm on the right thread: CafeMom is comparing Kate's wearing of an evening gown to Angelina Jolie wearing the same dress in a different color. CafeMom definitely likes the way Kate Middleton wears it.

I like the dress in red a little bit more, but Kate's poppy brightens the grey up. Both women look fabulous in that style.

Red version is better because of the light material which flows around the figure. Kate's version was too heavy and too shiny.

I do like the red better, but I see Kate isn't sporting tattoos as a fashion accessory!:lol:

Last edited:
Not a fan of the dress but I love the jacket.

What's so great about a black jacket? If you compare her look to Camilla's at this very same event, Kate's outfit looks straight out of daytime. She looks very ordinary. One of her worst looks by far.

I really like Catherine's dress and it's from Zara, a shop I can afford to buy from!

I like the look. It's appropriate and classy. The jacket is elegant.
But the dress is too short!

I see she is following the same style as Victoria. Dark hose and shoes with a very short dress. I don't mind the dark on dark for the hose and shoes as it is winter, but the skirt length is bordering on vulgar!

Now it could just be that she has very long legs . . . . but it looks a little too "Celebrity" and not enough "Royalty" to me.

What's so great about a black jacket? If you compare her look to Camilla's at this very same event, Kate's outfit looks straight out of daytime. She looks very ordinary. One of her worst looks by far.

Totally agree! I like the dress for me, but on Catherine it just seems boring. I don't mind the length, but that's maybe because I'm a modern girl.

On Zara website this dress looks great, on Kate not too much. Tulip shape is gone because of the belt I think. Dark accessories are elegant but made whole look somber. I would like to see straight hair for once could be nice change for a concert. Please lay down blush girl, it's horrible.

I really don't see anything special about the outfit; I'd have wished for a zap of color with Kate's accessories or at least the jacket. Red would have been stunning.

I really don't see anything special about the outfit; I'd have wished for a zap of color with Kate's accessories or at least the jacket. Red would have been stunning.

And quite season-appropriate too.

QUOTE=lancchick;1343967]What's so great about a black jacket? If you compare her look to Camilla's at this very same event, Kate's outfit looks straight out of daytime. She looks very ordinary. One of her worst looks by far.[/QUOTE]OK, since this has been moved to the Evening wear thread, everything changes.

As an evening dress it is a total bust! Indeed the whole look was a bust, from her flloppsy hair to her street hose and shoes. I had not seen Camilla's dress when I made my first comment and I also thought it was day-wear. But, it's a bit much when a 60+ woman easily out dresses a woman less than half her age. And Camilla's outfit was age and event appropriate. Catherine's was neither!

She should keep the super short dresses for private events, parties etc. To be honest, I expect the clubbing scene girls to be seen wearing dresses that short! Catherine's dress was just a common, garden variety and somewhat boring, if overly short, dress that should never have been seen at a public engagement after 5 O'clock.

I don't think you have to spend a lot of money to achieve a stunning evening look and to be honest, Catherine just doesn't seem to be making the effort.

Last edited:
I found some better pictures! :)

http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/2011/12/william-concert/prince-william-duchess-kate-concert-11.jpg
http://cdn.buzznet.com/media/jj1/2011/12/william-concert/prince-william-duchess-kate-concert-07.jpg

If I were Kate, I would try hard to highlight my natural beauty. What I think she's doing, is not serving her well. Dark, heavy blush and the black eyeliner day in and day out is horrible. And the long, long hair curled at the ends. Please, Kate doing something different for a change!

I like the outfit.
A common criticism is that Kate dresses too old for her age; but when she wears a short dress that is more age-appropriate, it's considered vulgar.

I would have preferred a brightly colored jacket instead of all black, but I don't see anything wrong with the ensemble. (Besides, it's something she can wear again).

The jacket is well-tailored and looked nice but her dress was just a little bit too short for this occasion.The look makes a pretty party outfit but it´s not a glamourous evening gown.(I would not call it vulgar but it was just not appropriate for the event.)

I read the thread before looking at the pictures, and the dress was longer than I had imagined it. I think it is made to look too short by the amount of shiny leg exposed. What I don't like are the jarring color contrasts that aren't tonal (and aren't well thought-out, IMO). The dark black jacket/sweater thing is okay, but the hose are not opaque and black enough to offset the outfit and make it look like evening wear. Really black legs were needed, not shiny gray ones. I'm allowing for some issues in the photography - but I doubt this is an issue of photography. It looks like we can see the part of the hose where they start to change into the "tops" and that just doesn't look right.

Blusher is way too heavy. As usual, the eyeliner is overdone, although I'm getting quite used to that - the funny thing is that I tend to ignore her facial expressions in general now, always the same makeup and smile. Many of us have said it many times (and in different ways): she needs to look more natural, change things up.

For me, it's not the length that's the problem, it's the fact that the hose look...overexposed and stretched out/too light. It's a very ordinary outfit, something I'd see on almost anyone - in daytime too. By standards in Hawaii (maybe it's our sun) the makeup is way overdone - but perhaps this is the fashion in London/ Sloane set? The same would be true in SoCal (again, a fairly sunny place where one is often glimpsed in bright sunlight even in early evening...but where lots of makeup done differently than Kate's is appropriate for night time - more shadows, less liner, though - and certainly not that apple-cheek look).

Sorry to sound so critical, but recent pictures of Kate out and about shopping haven't been so revelatory of these continued over-makeup practices (and again, perhaps it's considered the way to apply make-up in her set, I don't know - it just seems unusual and other royals I see on these forums seem less made-up). Am I being too hard on her? It's been a long day.

i would have like to seen her in a evening gown but what she wore was nice and she dress according to her age..which is nice to see

I agree. With all the metallics and lurex available now, the jacket could have had a bit more "zip". Perhaps Kate was trying to highlight the lace on the dress by contrasting it with black?

I like the outfit.
A common criticism is that Kate dresses too old for her age; but when she wears a short dress that is more age-appropriate, it's considered vulgar.

I would have preferred a brightly colored jacket instead of all black, but I don't see anything wrong with the ensemble. (Besides, it's something she can wear again).

I don't get how short equals youth? The dress was too short. I prefer knee-length. If you look at others at the event they look very festive. She once again wears wrong outfit wrong event. Her hair/makeup was not festive enough. I wonder if makeup is heavy because of the photographs? As for her hair stop touching it..please :)

Thanks PrincessKaimi I think you made some good points as well, particularly about the makeup.

The dress was not too short, it the same height that Victoria has been wearing lately. People wear shorter dress, and what she was wearing was perfectly fine for the events

Last edited:
The dress was not too short, it the same height that Victoria has been wearing lately. People wear shorter dress, and what she was wearing was perfectly fine for the events

I think Victoria's is too short. ;). Her maternity wardrobe is bad well most of it. Wrong topic though.

The dress is quite nice, quite dressy if only it was a bit longer, I find it way too short.

I really do not like this look, it's too short and the whole look is too balck including the eye liner .

A short dress can look very elegant for evening wear. However, the dress Kate chose rather resembled a "party dress" for a young girl. Wrong style for her completely. The black hose also looked harsh. The jacket was smart and elegant though but not enough to lift the overall look.

Last edited:
Not a good look at all. The dress is way too short and the combination with simple jacket and black hose not dressy enough for an evening event. Kate looks very blah and boring and style-wise not like 2011 but 1981.

I find her constant touching and fiddling with the hair so annoying. She has beautiful hair but its such a waste to have it hanging down in curls only to give something to do, otherwise she wouldnt know where to put her hands. Either cut it, or do something with it.

Horrible make-up as usual.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/06/article-2070764-0F14806D00000578-590_306x873.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/12/06/article-2070764-0F14816D00000578-275_306x873.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom