The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 2: November 2011 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duchess of Cambridge is very beautiful and always carry herself gracefully. This black velvet dress is is classy and sexy without being vulgar.

I admit it is very rarely that I can find fault with DofCa wears and am embarrassed to admit that I have become rather a fanatic (despite my extreme aversion to fanatics that can be met on the internet!!) but I am completely balled over with the complete look :flowers:

I used to have long hair which I would constantly pull into a ponytail or 'updo' but was forever seeing 'what's the point of having long hair if you always wear it up'. To continue with being a 'fanatic' if she is happy with wearing her hair down, I can't see the problem - it's not like it's in bad condition!!

Whew. Glad I'm not the only one then.

Crowning Glory

A woman's hair used to be known as her 'crowning glory', and Kate does have a gorgeous head of hair. She has decades ahead of her in which to wear it shorter, or up, and I imagine William likes it this way. I remember once, early in the marriage of Charles and Diana, that Diana wore her hair up in a French twist. Some writer said, she has many years for an updo; it's a shame to change her 'astonishingly pretty' hairstyle.

Catherine looks smashing! And her hair looks amazing with the black strapless velvet and bare shoulders. I don't think anyone can complain. She hit it out of the park!

She looks likes she had had a spray tan for this event

I do like the black velvet dress though im not a fan of the fishtail style in general on anyone.

Catherine looks smashing! And her hair looks amazing with the black strapless velvet and bare shoulders. I don't think anyone can complain. She hit it out of the park!
The necklace alone is a home run and the matching bracelet is icing on the cake! Is the set an early Christmas present? Where are the jewelry historians on the board?:cool::flowers:

:previous:For any extended discussion of Kate's jewels, you have to step over to the DofCa jewelry thread.:flowers:

I admit it is very rarely that I can find fault with DofCa wears and am embarrassed to admit that I have become rather a fanatic (despite my extreme aversion to fanatics that can be met on the internet!!) but I am completely balled over with the complete look :flowers:

I used to have long hair which I would constantly pull into a ponytail or 'updo' but was forever seeing 'what's the point of having long hair if you always wear it up'. To continue with being a 'fanatic' if she is happy with wearing her hair down, I can't see the problem - it's not like it's in bad condition!!

I am completely with you. As soon as I got a Google Alert for the DofC and opened the images I was blown away. She did hit it out of the park. I am not one to draw similarities but it reminded me of another young almost married royal making a statement in a black strapless dress.
Diana's Long-Lost Dress Fetches a Stylish $280,000

wow!!!!that gown and necklace look great..she own that look...u go kate with ur bad self ;)

I know, that's my other go-to site as well for great info on jewels. Very entertaining as well.

I suspect the reason she hasn't chosen the updo on this occasion is that she didn't want to be seen to be 'showing off' the necklace. This event is about honouring servicemen and women who have put their lives on the line for our nation, and in many cases have the scars to show for it. She was able to debut the necklace but not look like she was shoving it in anyone's face.
I think you may be on to something. I will take it one step further - I think one of the reasons she may have worn her hair in her usual style is because this night is about the men and women being honored. If she had worn her hair up, that would be all anyone talked about. Remember the time Diana suddenly wore her hair up to the State Opening of Parliment and knocked the Queen off the front pages.

LOVE IT! I agree that she does deserve 5 gold stars! Amazing jewelry too... wonder who gave them to her?

Its defo one of the better appearances. Still dont like how she hides behind a wall of hair and if wearing such a necklace, no point in having hair all over it.

The dress is classy but the combination of the frills and the necklace are too much for me. Either the dress should be simple around the neckline or the choice of jewellery should be different.

The make-up is less severe this time, a step in the right direction.

I am not one to draw similarities but it reminded me of another young almost married royal making a statement in a black strapless dress.
Diana's Long-Lost Dress Fetches a Stylish $280,000

Me too! :flowers:
Diana's 'engagement dress' sells for £192,000 | Mail Online
Kate Middleton shows off her toned arms and shoulders to salute Armed Forces | Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
Black velvet is not an easy fabric to pull off. However Kate looks absolutely beautiful in this most exquisite gown. This is an extremely elegant yet very "royal" look. William and Harry look equally dashing in their tuxedos.

LOVE IT! I agree that she does deserve 5 gold stars! Amazing jewelry too... wonder who gave them to her?
Lovely original jewellery which I hope we get a better look at some time in the future when it isn't covered with hair. Unfortunately the dress, while elegant, was so long she had to keep holding it up with both hands. :ermm:

On the upside, she couldn't fiddle with her hair and hold her dress up at the same time! :clap: :clap: :clap:

I must admit I did think the same thing when I saw this dress. I like it but isn't really cold in England? Maybe a coat or cape or something I got a chill just looking at her.

I must admit I did think the same thing when I saw this dress. I like it but isn't really cold in England? Maybe a coat or cape or something I got a chill just looking at her.

Yes, it is 7 degrees C. I think it is very dangerous what she did. Of course she only stepped out of the car, but even a for a few metters, the change of temperature can harm, once I got bronchitis for a few seconds unattended in the cold.
Anyway, she is young, but she could have a pashmina and take it out immediately once inside.

Phenomenal choice by Catherine. McQueen does it so well!

Without a doubt the most demure and elegant evening gown of any ladies royal in 2011.

Last edited:
The Duchess looked fantastic. You can tell she spends a lot of time in the gym. The dress was well made and fit her like a glove!

I am against an updo for Kate in this instance, as she would have looked overdressed for the occasion and out of step with the other young women. Her signature look needed to be there. She did look amazing.
Depends on what kind of updo. A simple French ponytail is very simple and chic.Kennisgeving voor omleiding

And she finally managed to do her eyeliner correctly, praise Jezus.

And a few seconds out in the cold never killed a vital, healthy person. Bronchitis, what you can get from a cold, is not caused by the temperture, but by virusses or bacteria in the air.

Celebs do it all the time during Award Season. The last edition of the Bafta's wasn't exactly sunshine but everyone was alright.

That is a beautiful hairstyle, simple yet elegantly suited for the occasion, or even her half-up, half-down style that she's worn in the past. I hope Kate starts flipping through some hair magazines soon.

The dress is a too long on Kate - you can see it sitting in a fold at the front in the pictures and by the fact she was having to always lift it up. For being a couture dress Sarah Burton should have ensured that it was sitting right on Kate when she had her heels on it get it to the right length

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom