The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 12:15 AM
Serene Highness

imo i think that cate would look good in a simple classical cut pant suite in a gray,tweed,navy and even white color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smush View Post
True. She needs to get her own style and it looks like she's got a long way to go there and find it.
And I also agree with the makeup. She is not in for experimentation.
imo she does have her style and if u check out the new style of clothing for spring/summer dresses..they are all the types of dresses kate has worn in the past months...style..yeah she has it
and the world follows the way she dresses-that is why what she wears today sells out tomorrow..here have a

Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 AM
Heir Presumptive

Yes they are still talking about her clothes because she is still shiny and new. IF Kate is attempting to be boring on purpose it will take awhile for the press to catch on that she is not going to be their Barbie or Fashionista. Again I'm just speculating, I don't know the girl or her brain. I still recall the fantasticalness that was her Canada wardrobe so I will look past her boring days.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Kate is boring and has always been boring. She doesn't seem like the type who wants to cause a media firestorm with everything she wears or every flick of her hair. Not only that but she is #3 behind the Queen and Camilla and she could be comfortable and accepting of not wanting to overshadow them. To not encourage the obsession with her, she might consciously be choosing to not wear things that will cause headlines.
Unfortunately she doesn't have to encourage the media . . . it is there, and that being the case, she could, at the very least, resurrect her Canadian wardrobe.

Catherine boring and tasteless or haute couture, will always be photographed and emulated, so why not go for what is quintessentially her own style. This too can be made to work for her and what she represents.

Whilst not wanting the compare "Princesses" so to speak, CP Mary was in much the same situation. Not coming from a high public profile she had to get together a "working" wardrobe. People moaned about the cost but when you are starting from scratch it is going to cost. Catherine will obviously not get it all right from the start but there is no way she is going to avoid the "hit and miss" beginning until such time as she has developed her own "Duchess" style as opposed to her previous personal style.

Huffing and puffing about not being a fashion icon like Diana is pointless. Those who remember Diana when she first married remember over sized dresses and polka dots. Yes, she too had to begin somewhere, and the press were pretty harsh at times. Icon status came with years of experience.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Huffing and puffing about not being a fashion icon like Diana is pointless. Those who remember Diana when she first married remember over sized dresses and polka dots. Yes, she too had to begin somewhere, and the press were pretty harsh at times. Icon status came with years of experience.
Agreed completely

Some of the early pictures of Diana show her in dresses that look more little girl going to Sunday school than they do Royal Highness. But she learned.

Kate will too. She's not starting from a bad place... a touch boring, but I haven't seen her wear anything that will ever look particularly dated or fashion victim-y either.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

I don't have a problem with how Kate dresses... I'd actually wear some of her clothes.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:39 AM
Gentry

I agree with you, 4Pam. I really like Kate's style.

I think she has been ahead of her time with some of the pieces she has worn. In maybe two or three years' time I expect we will look back and say wow. (The emerald Mulberry dress worn recently, for example.)
Old 12-13-2011, 05:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by efraimsdotter View Post
I agree with you, 4Pam. I really like Kate's style.

I think she has been ahead of her time with some of the pieces she has worn. In maybe two or three years' time I expect we will look back and say wow. (The emerald Mulberry dress worn recently, for example.)
I fully agree with what you said.

As regards Diana, she become a fashion icon when she separated from Pc Charles, and was free to wear italian fashion. The famous Versace Dress could not be worn at this time by a 20 years old innocent girl, mother of the future king.
When she changed her role, she changed also her way to dress!!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

I realize this is not a "comparison" thread but I do remember Diana and even she had a few early missteps, with the exception of her engagement outfit, she always had a wow factor. Wow, for better or worse, meaning she took chances, sometimes overdid things, but was not trying to blend into the wallpaper.
For us watchers, it was more interesting.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Well the 80s were a decade of excess, Dynasty Di and all that. We live in a very different time now.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Remembering the ubiquitous "Shoulder Pads" of that era, I cannot say that is necessarily a bad thing!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:21 PM
Courtier

Here's a link to a New York fashion blog which occasionally features the Duchess of Cambridge. It's usually quite witty and enjoyable, with excellent photos. On this blog, they're known as Bill and Cathy Cambridge.
(CP Victoria and Daniel are called Dan and Vicki Västergötland). It's all in good fun, and there are other celebrities profiled.

Search Results cathy cambridge | Tom & Lorenzo
Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Thanks so much for that article; I was , some bits were that funny. Very clever and candid critiques on the outfits.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:19 AM
Serene Highness

Here's a link to a New York fashion blog which occasionally features the Duchess of
Quote:
Cambridge. It's usually quite witty and enjoyable, with excellent photos. On this blog, they're known as Bill and Cathy Cambridge.
(CP Victoria and Daniel are called Dan and Vicki Västergötland). It's all in good fun, and there are other celebrities profiled.

Search Results cathy cambridge | Tom & Lorenzo
can we call them bill and kay? or willate or maybe even duc & dutch?
Old 12-17-2011, 12:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

If Victoria and Daniel are Vic and Dan, then William and Kate should just remain Will and Kate.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can see how Catherine would think the "lace" pattern of the black & white dress would seem formal for evening~ but there's just something askew about the length of it paired with the same 'ole black blazer, imo
Old 12-17-2011, 11:58 AM
Majesty

That blog was a riot . I love reading fashion critiques that are witty and straight-to-the-point (I'm not a fashion expert, so something light is always appreciated).

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Well the 80s were a decade of excess, Dynasty Di and all that. We live in a very different time now.
I agree that the 80's seemed to be a decade of excess (see shoulder pads!) but there were young princesses who weren't part of it, GD Maria Theresa, P Astrid, P Anne...come to mind.
And now, in these straightened times, there are a few WOW CPs who come to mind , CP Mary, Maxima.
I guess I'm complaining that Catherine's style is predictable, same hair, same silhouettes.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Serene Highness

maybe she is the kind of person that like a certain style and is happy to stay in a routine...imo i like that why reinvent yourself if you're happy with the way you look. i can see it if your not happy or you're looking for attention
Old 12-17-2011, 11:43 PM
Aristocracy

I think Catherine is modeling herself on HM, not Diana. I think this is a very good thing, overall - but, I agree, it does make her less "interesting" in a fashion sense. But I think there is little else a socially responsible young woman can do in such times. It would go against both of their characters, I think, to make fashion more important than anything else or, indeed, than it should be. Given the attention to what she wears, she has little choice but to find a line close enough to "fashionable" to not alienate the fashion world and close enough to "it's not REMOTELY about the clothes, folks" to not alienate us when we're in a more serious minded mode.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Heir Apparent

IMO, it wouldn't cost that much to experiment with hairstyles or change up the makeup. That in itself would give a fresher and different look to Kate's style.