The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Actually, it's bullying. This woman gets utterly trashed on this forum for her hair, her weight, her skin, her clothes, her posture and her mannerisms among other things. She's been called vulgar, ridiculous, a clown, trashy, boring and cheap among other things. And it's all said with a certain level of smug glee which is really distasteful.

And the thing than annoys me the most is that this is other women on the whole who are doing this. It is these sorts of comments which can do real damage to people. As I said previously, I hope that for the sake of her own self esteem and mental well being, that Kate never reads this sort of horrible meanness, because it's very dangerous.
Bullying? That's a stretch. Everyone is making comments, pro and con, re: Kate's eveningwear.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Courtier

There is constructive criticism, then there is gleefully picking someone apart, (That happens in all the Princess tread on this forums) it seems to have nothing to do with the outfits that they are wearing. If anything she should read Tom & Lorenzo | Fabulous & Opinionated, they actually gave fashion critique which a lot of these post are not.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

From what I've read regarding the comments about Kate's outfit at the site you provided, there's little else than repeating "she's perfect", "that's adorable". I don't think the comments there are more specific/constructive when it comes to fashion than they would be here. BTW, I agree that "vulgar" (though the word's origin doesn't mean anything else than "ordinary", but it is used in a different meaning nowadays) might have been a bit too harsh, but if that was the opinion of someone here, why not? I guess, sadly, negative comments about someone's fashion can easily be seen as "bashing" and some of the stuff that is written here might come across stronger than it would if it was said in a relaxed/not so serious discussion from face to face. Some of my own comments may seem tough as well, but, for me, it's really just about fashion. I'm by no means a "Kate-hater", her fashion choices just disappoint me sometimes. Sometimes I think she looks okay and sometimes I think she looks quite elegant and pretty, too.

Calling it bullying was a bit over the top in my humble opinion. I don't want to offend fellow posters and I don't want to offend the Duchess of Cambridge or any other princess, but if I find an outfit (including make up etc.) boring or ugly, what else should I say? I wouldn't like it if others were afraid of stating their true opinions. Sorry for going off topic once again. I guess we should just state our opinions about her outfits and finito.
Old 12-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post

From what I've read regarding the comments about Kate's outfit at the site you provided, there's little else than repeating "she's perfect", "that's adorable". I don't think the comments there are more specific/constructive when it comes to fashion than they would be here. BTW, I agree that "vulgar" (though the word's origin doesn't mean anything else than "ordinary", but it is used in a different meaning nowadays) might have been a bit too harsh, but if that was the opinion of someone here, why not? I guess, sadly, negative comments about someone's fashion can easily be seen as "bashing" and some of the stuff that is written here might come across stronger than it would if it was said in a relaxed/not so serious discussion from face to face. Some of my own comments may seem tough as well, but, for me, it's really just about fashion. I'm by no means a "Kate-hater", her fashion choices just disappoint me sometimes. Sometimes I think she looks okay and sometimes I think she looks quite elegant and pretty, too.

Calling it bullying was a bit over the top in my humble opinion. I don't want to offend fellow posters and I don't want to offend the Duchess of Cambridge or any other princess, but if I find an outfit (including make up etc.) boring or ugly, what else should I say? I wouldn't like it if others were afraid of stating their true opinions. Sorry for going off topic once again. I guess we should just state our opinions about her outfits and finito.
I wasn't talking about the user comments, I was talking about Tom and Lorenzo post and how they critique fashion. And they have never used they word she/he perfect or adorable in their posts about any celebs. That why I said Tom and Lorenzo not the user comments.

And some of these post in this tread other others on this forums have nothing to do with the clothes that the "princess" wear, it start to get into how they look physical and their personality in a gleeful way
Old 12-08-2011, 03:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche
There is constructive criticism, then there is gleefully picking someone apart, (That happens in all the Princess tread on this forums) it seems to have nothing to do with the outfits that they are wearing. If anything she should read Tom & Lorenzo | Fabulous & Opinionated, they actually gave fashion critique which a lot of these post are not.
+ 1

It was a pop concert for goodness sake!! The outfit was suitable. Guaranteed had she worn an expensive designer dress she'd be completely slated for being overdressed!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I actually think she looks lovely, and I'm surprised the outfit is getting so much negative attention. I like the dress quite a bit. And her makeup really isn't bad- a little heavy, sure, but she's probably still figuring out what works best for her as far as press pictures go.
I's sorry, but that theory won't wash! Catherine has been in the public eye for the best part of ten years and, to be honest, has looked a lot softer, lighter and natural in the makeup department and a lot more elegant and adventurous in the dress department.

I am more intrigued by those who talk about her expressing "young" fashion trends in such a way as she sound like she's 20 instead of a mature 30! At that age "youthful" is a bit "off". By now she should have established her "style" and, to be honest, before her engagement and wedding she did have a style of her own. Admittedly, it was not a style that i was madly enthused by, but it was a definite "Kate" persona.

Then came the engagement and "Catherine", and everything changed. I thought the outfit she wore to "fly the coup" after the wedding was definitely short, but it was a private occasion and nobody minded. She looked happy and that was enough. Her first official appearances were lovely but then, after the Canadian tour, everything changed. Her hems really went up and she put away all those elegant outfits, the electric blue Jacquenta dress or the all lace "Cecile" dress by Erdem come to mind. Had she accessorised something like that with evening shoes and clutch she would have looked like the old "Kate", restrained but elegant. But she seems to have disappeared, morphed into "Catherine", who wears desperately "youthful" clothes that, by comparison, are not a patch on what went before.

More importantly, the new style looks "cheap" and "economy" in an "I am not spending lots of money in these straightened times" kind of way. It is almost like her clothes are making a politically correct statement, like dressing down a tulip dress with a cheap belt. Or, she could have found facing the big 3 0 a personal challenge?

Either way, I want the old Kate back. She had confidence and style!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Courtier

Quote:
This dress is incredibly adorable.

The thing that people here seen to be choosing to ignore is that this was a POP CONCERT!!! This event will have been attended by thousands of other people in jeans and mini dresses. This is not a gala event in the vein of the Royal Variety Performance or a night at the Royal Opera House.

With regards to the dress being too short, did I miss something and we're now in the 1950's???? That dress is nowhere near too short, it's a mini dress is the style which is very much in at the moment. She's wearing fairly dark tights which means she can get away with the shorter hemline. If this dress is 'vulgar' then you'd all think I'm a tramp when you see me heading out with my friends.

She was criticised last week for wearing an expensive dress. So she wears a dress that most people can afford and gets criticised still. She wore a bright green dress last week and was savaged for it and so wears something more demure and is savaged for wearing a dull colour.

I truly hope that Catherine never stumbles upon this forum because if she read these threads I wouldn't blame her for wanting to sit in a dark room and never go out!! No other royal female gets anywhere near this level of vitriol and mean spiritedness and it makes this site an increasingly unpleasant place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I totally agree. Princess Charlene wore a dress the same length as this one, to a daytime event (a school I believe) and didn't get called vulgar or whatever. Someone already mentioned CP Victoria's short dresses and Letizia has worn a few short ones recently, yet neither of them have been called vulgar. In fact, I think people liked Letizia's dress.

Kate's dress looks fine. It's cute and age appropriate. She was going to a pop concert where many of the other attendees were dressed casually. Last week she was called out for dressing too old, now she's dressing too young. It seems like she really can't win.

As for her makeup, I don't think it's changing any time soon. She's probably aware of the criticism about it, but obviously likes the way it looks. I have to admire that a little. She likes what she likes and isn't going to let others change her.
Quote:
Actually, it's bullying. This woman gets utterly trashed on this forum for her hair, her weight, her skin, her clothes, her posture and her mannerisms among other things. She's been called vulgar, ridiculous, a clown, trashy, boring and cheap among other things. And it's all said with a certain level of smug glee which is really distasteful.

And the thing than annoys me the most is that this is other women on the whole who are doing this. It is these sorts of comments which can do real damage to people. As I said previously, I hope that for the sake of her own self esteem and mental well being, that Kate never reads this sort of horrible meanness, because it's very dangerous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I agree completely. I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of bullying, and it's not pleasant. I know that this is a fashion discussion, and it's fine to not like something someone is wearing, but it's not fine to completely trash the person and then try to justify those actions by saying that one is only stating an opinion. Perhaps some people need to look at how they word things before they post them. We don't know who comes on this site, and I personally, would really hate to be the cause to someone's low self-esteem and self-confidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
I absolutely agree. The vitriol expressed on this thread is the very definition of bullying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Well-said!
I really think Kate is going out of her way NOT to become a fashion icon!
I like most of the things she wears, and I'm glad she isn't allowing the press to push her into becoming some sort of doll that the designers get to dress up.

That is precisely what happened to Diana, and it didn't serve her well in the end.
I believe Kate should simply ignore the criticisms, tell herself that she can't please everybody, and dress to please herself. She'll be much better off than if she starts trying to dazzle the press; that's a path that has no end in sight.
I totally agree with these posts - and it's the reason I rarely visit this forum anymore. I find that she is verbally torn apart on a regular basis, there always seems to be something wrong with whatever she wears. The repetitiveness is tiring to me, so I don't miss not reading here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I's sorry, but that theory won't wash! Catherine has been in the public eye for the best part of ten years and, to be honest, has looked a lot softer, lighter and natural in the makeup department and a lot more elegant and adventurous in the dress department.

I am more intrigued by those who talk about her expressing "young" fashion trends in such a way as she sound like she's 20 instead of a mature 30! At that age "youthful" is a bit "off". By now she should have established her "style" and, to be honest, before her engagement and wedding she did have a style of her own. Admittedly, it was not a style that i was madly enthused by, but it was a definite "Kate" persona.

Then came the engagement and "Catherine", and everything changed. I thought the outfit she wore to "fly the coup" after the wedding was definitly short, but it was a private occasion and nobody minded. She looked happy and that was enough. Her first official appearances were lovely but then, after the Canadian tour, everything changed. Her hems really went up and she put away all those elegant outfits, the electric blue Jacquenta dress by Erdem comes to mind. Had she accessorised something like that with evening shoes and clutch she would have looked like the old "Kate", restrained but elegant. But she seems to have disappeared, morphed into "Catherine", who wears deperately "youthful" clothes that, by comparision, are not a patch on what went before.

More importantly, the new stlye looks "cheap" and "economy" in an "I am not spending lots of money in these straightened times" kind of way. It is almost like her clothes are making a politically correct statement, like dressing down a tulip dress with a cheap belt. Or, she could have found facing the big 3 0 a personal challenge?

Either way, I want the old Kate back. She had confidence and style!
I rather think that something has changed in the way you look at her, I don't see a different Catherine.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Bullying? That's a stretch. Everyone is making comments, pro and con, re: Kate's eveningwear.
I agree that commenting negatively on a forum about what in reality is JUST A DRESS shouldn't be deemed as being bullying, but it does make me worried that if some people can can talk so scathingly about another's apparent errors in fashion, what the hell are they going to be like in real life? God help the person passing them on the street wearing a pair of black tights in the wrong way or having a belt two millimetres too thick or too thin or too high up the waist or who flicks their hair too much or wears eye make-up beyond the permitted amount, shade or colour.
Yet! Prince William wears the same thing every day (and evening) with only a change of his shirt!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
Yet! Prince William wears the same thing every day (and evening) with only a change of his shirt!
You are correct! Fair's fair, he should be caned over his lack of flair. His father has managed to make the Best Dressed list on several occasions so, perhaps a little fatherly advice is in order.

You never know, with a bit of a push we could yet see William wearing brown jumpers edged with purple!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Heir Apparent

That would be a true fashion statement and on the cutting edge, I'm sure!
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I agree that commenting negatively on a forum about what in reality is JUST A DRESS shouldn't be deemed as being bullying, but it does make me worried that if some people can can talk so scathingly about another's apparent errors in fashion, what the hell are they going to be like in real life? God help the person passing them on the street wearing a pair of black tights in the wrong way or having a belt two millimetres too thick or too thin or too high up the waist or who flicks their hair too much or wears eye make-up beyond the permitted amount, shade or colour.
Prince William does NOT overdo his makeup, does not wear his trousers too short, nor does he flip his annoying hair all the time. He is a Royal dream, as one does not anticipate his new suit, shirt or tie. He is a classic, uninterested in fashion Englishman. I can't stop laughing at myself (is that still a sign of mental illness?????).
Old 12-08-2011, 06:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

For a pop concert, what Kate wore was actually demure and on the verge of boring. Then again her husband wore a suit so clearly they both lost the memo that stated "this is a concert not a business function". Btw William looked great, first time I was more drawn to him than his wife.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I rather think that something has changed in the way you look at her, I don't see a different Catherine.
I suggest you re-visit the earlier Catherine Middleton fashion thread and those of that of the Duchess' Canadian tour.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marlboro View Post
My big problem with the look is the hosiery she wore. I disagree with the posters who think a black opaque was needed. I think a very sheer black without the shine would have been better. The hose she is wearing remind me of support pantyhose I used to sell back in the late seventies and early eighties. Black opaque always looks like something a nun would wear - think Maria at the beginning of "The Sound of Music".
Thanks for your post! I really lol with your depictions of the different hosiery styles, I happen to agree completely.
If it was a POP concert, I think they were all dressed inappropriately, business suits??
Old 12-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Courtier

Yeah this is pictures from May to December of her and I don't see the changed either http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv...j85lo1_500.jpg
Old 12-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I totally agree with these posts - and it's the reason I rarely visit this forum anymore. I find that she is verbally torn apart on a regular basis, there always seems to be something wrong with whatever she wears. The repetitiveness is tiring to me, so I don't miss not reading here.
but we have to try to change it out here...we cant let this trend continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Prince William does NOT overdo his makeup, does not wear his trousers too short, nor does he flip his annoying hair all the time. He is a Royal dream, as one does not anticipate his new suit, shirt or tie. He is a classic, uninterested in fashion Englishman. I can't stop laughing at myself (is that still a sign of mental illness?????).
dont be jealous cause she has a lot of hair ..who cares if she flips it. i would love to have her hair so im going to buy a wig & there we have it..hair to flip in an annoying way
Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I happen to like the dress and the jacket. I do feel that the dress is way too short for her position and age - she is almost 30 and shouldn't be wearing a length more appropriate for a high schooler. I know she has the figure for short skirts, but there is an old saying - "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".
Clear, concise, unemotive and accurate.

Quote:
My big problem with the look is the hosiery she wore. I disagree with the posters who think a black opaque was needed. I think a very sheer black without the shine would have been better. The hose she is wearing remind me of support pantyhose I used to sell back in the late seventies and early eighties. Black opaque always looks like something a nun would wear - think Maria at the beginning of "The Sound of Music".
Oh good grief! How could you? Now every time I see Catherine or Victoria or . . . . . wearing black opaque I'm going to have visions of aprons and mountains and singing and crack up laughing!

People will think I am funny, peculiar!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Ah, Lady Marlboro, I remember those days of wearing very sheer black hose when I had to wear suits for my job. I always thought it a nicer look than the opaque version (nightmares of Catholic school nuns!), and think it would have been a better choice for this outfit.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Royal Highness

If you are a man you just have difficulties with chosing the right tie,as a woman you have to worry about the dress,the shoes,the bag,your hairstyle,makeup & jewellery which should be elegant and stylish and appropriate for the event....
. Helen Keller
Old 12-08-2011, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Yeah this is pictures from May to December of her and I don't see the changed either http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lv...j85lo1_500.jpg
Yeah, I don't see the difference either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post

Then came the engagement and "Catherine", and everything changed. I thought the outfit she wore to "fly the coup" after the wedding was definitely short, but it was a private occasion and nobody minded. She looked happy and that was enough. Her first official appearances were lovely but then, after the Canadian tour, everything changed. Her hems really went up and she put away all those elegant outfits, the electric blue Jacquenta dress or the all lace "Cecile" dress by Erdem come to mind. Had she accessorised something like that with evening shoes and clutch she would have looked like the old "Kate", restrained but elegant. But she seems to have disappeared, morphed into "Catherine", who wears desperately "youthful" clothes that, by comparison, are not a patch on what went before.
Her hemlines haven't gone up. With the exception of maybe two or three outfits (Canada Day, Epsom Derby), the outfits she's worn since her marriage are longer than some of the ones she wore during (and before) their engagement. This latest dress is the first short one she's worn in a long time.

During the engagement:

Photos of prince william kate middleton charity 06 | Prince William & Kate Middleton: Charity Christmas Couple - Pics | Just Jared

Photos of prince william kate middleton return to st andrews 03 | Prince William & Kate Middleton Return to St. Andrews! - Pics | Just Jared

After the marriage:

Full Sized Photo of prince william kate oak centre 02 | Prince William & Duchess Kate Visit Royal Marsden Hospital | Just Jared

As for her makeup, she's always been heavy-handed with it. Nothing has changed in that department.

2008- Full Sized Photo of kate middleton roller disco 01 | Kate Middleton Dazzles At Roller Disco | Just Jared

2010 - Full Sized Photo of william middleton friend wedding 05 | Kate Middleton: Friend's Wedding with Prince William | Just Jared