The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #61  
Old 12-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Lumutqueen's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Carlton, York, United Kingdom
Posts: 17,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Ehh, party dress for a young girl? Have you ever seen a ''party dress'' for a young girl? I'm 18 and I'm telling you, that is not a dress I or most others would choose to wear.
I'm an 18 year old UK girl and I would wear that dress on either an evening out or a party of some form. It's a very lovely dress, but just not for Kate.
__________________

__________________
We Will Remember Them.
  #62  
Old 12-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Empress Merel's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: -, Netherlands
Posts: 1,224
Maybe if it was very formal yes, but like I said, it's very office-y. Atleast to me, I like dresses to be something special, and that's not special. Kate doesn't play with clothes and it's such a shame because she's worn some pretty nice pieces. There are a lot of designers out there for her that would suit nicely. Vionnet, Giambattista Valli, Preen, Erdem, Burberry, Donna Karan. But on the other hand, it's good she's not doing just that when the economy is in the state it is now.
__________________

__________________
  #63  
Old 12-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 320
I liked the outfit. I think it's appropriate especially given the fact that it was a concert and even still I think it was perfectly fine. Honestly it reminds of the Temperley dress she wore last Christmas to a dinner so I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's a lovely dress. I would wear it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way she is dressed. She looks beautiful as usual.
__________________
  #64  
Old 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,335
LMAO at people thinking this dress is too short. That is just hilarious as all getup.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
  #65  
Old 12-07-2011, 05:31 PM
KittyAtlanta's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KittyLand Junction, United States
Posts: 2,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Apparently Kate's vulgar, inappropriate and offensive dress from Zara is now sold out in the US, Canada and only available in XS on the UK site.

No other royal has this kind of power which I suppose explains a lot of the animosity she faces on this website.
I think you're totally off the mark. When I, a long-time royalty follower, look at Kate, no matter age, education, income, or nationality, I think of what I would have worn to the event...and it would not have been what she wore. Unfortunately, what you call "animosity" is a bunch of people voicing their disappointment.

The makeup? Clownsville. Yep. I think it's getting worse.

As for "power" in selling clothes for moderately priced outlets...buyers are just Kate "wanna-bees", not people who hoped they would have a new member of the Royal family to admire. It's going to take years for that to happen, at least in my case.
__________________
  #66  
Old 12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I think you're totally off the mark. When I, a long-time royalty follower, look at Kate, no matter age, education, income, or nationality, I think of what I would have worn to the event...and it would not have been what she wore. Unfortunately, what you call "animosity" is a bunch of people voicing their disappointment.

The makeup? Clownsville. Yep. I think it's getting worse.

As for "power" in selling clothes for moderately priced outlets...buyers are just Kate "wanna-bees", not people who hoped they would have a new member of the Royal family to admire. It's going to take years for that to happen, at least in my case.


Actually, it's bullying. This woman gets utterly trashed on this forum for her hair, her weight, her skin, her clothes, her posture and her mannerisms among other things. She's been called vulgar, ridiculous, a clown, trashy, boring and cheap among other things. And it's all said with a certain level of smug glee which is really distasteful.

And the thing than annoys me the most is that this is other women on the whole who are doing this. It is these sorts of comments which can do real damage to people. As I said previously, I hope that for the sake of her own self esteem and mental well being, that Kate never reads this sort of horrible meanness, because it's very dangerous.
__________________
  #67  
Old 12-07-2011, 06:22 PM
ashelen's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: la, United States
Posts: 2,411
I like zara dress and really when you put in search in zara "lace dresses", come several lace dresses all very nice, may be a little short for my taste but i think they look all classy
__________________
Ashelen
  #68  
Old 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 6,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Actually, it's bullying. This woman gets utterly trashed on this forum for her hair, her weight, her skin, her clothes, her posture and her mannerisms among other things. She's been called vulgar, ridiculous, a clown, trashy, boring and cheap among other things. And it's all said with a certain level of smug glee which is really distasteful.

And the thing than annoys me the most is that this is other women on the whole who are doing this. It is these sorts of comments which can do real damage to people. As I said previously, I hope that for the sake of her own self esteem and mental well being, that Kate never reads this sort of horrible meanness, because it's very dangerous.
I agree completely. I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of bullying, and it's not pleasant. I know that this is a fashion discussion, and it's fine to not like something someone is wearing, but it's not fine to completely trash the person and then try to justify those actions by saying that one is only stating an opinion. Perhaps some people need to look at how they word things before they post them. We don't know who comes on this site, and I personally, would really hate to be the cause to someone's low self-esteem and self-confidence.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #69  
Old 12-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Waterford, United States
Posts: 895
Well said, Daria_S and EIIR

Catherine is always suitably attired, and just like the rest of us, she looks better at sometimes than at others. I suppose she could wear haut couture for every occasion, and have a stylist and a dresser and a makeup artist, but is that really appropriate for a young woman of her station? She seems to be genuinely popular amongst most of those who will be seeing her for the rest of her life, and I think they appreciate that she looks and dresses like an ordinary woman. There will be time enough for her to be a total glamour puss.
And as for her makeup, I think a lot of girls adopt one particular style and stay with it for a few years. William probably likes it, and it is scarcely as terrible as some who comment on it would have it.
__________________
  #70  
Old 12-07-2011, 07:57 PM
HRHHermione's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Boston, United States
Posts: 2,021
I actually think she looks lovely, and I'm surprised the outfit is getting so much negative attention. I like the dress quite a bit. And her makeup really isn't bad- a little heavy, sure, but she's probably still figuring out what works best for her as far as press pictures go.

She also looks healthier than she has in awhile, and she's really glowing. All in all, I think it was a successful occasion for her, appearance wise.
__________________
  #71  
Old 12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Jacknch's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grundisburgh, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,760
I have to say that I am surprised at the apparent level of controversy Catherine's outfit has caused, more so I think than any other. She wore a patterned, above the knee dress with a black jacket. Her make-up and hair was exactly the same as it always is and there is absolutely NOTHING whatsoever shocking about what she looked like. So what's going on people? Is there jealousy? Are we bored already? Is Chrismas shopping getting us down? Is this a battle of wills over negative or positive comments? To be frank, the outfit was was it was, completely uncontroversial....unlike that blue suit and purple tie William insists on wearing all the time!
__________________
J
  #72  
Old 12-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Royal Newbie's Avatar
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Northern California, United States
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR

Actually, it's bullying. This woman gets utterly trashed on this forum for her hair, her weight, her skin, her clothes, her posture and her mannerisms among other things. She's been called vulgar, ridiculous, a clown, trashy, boring and cheap among other things. And it's all said with a certain level of smug glee which is really distasteful.

And the thing than annoys me the most is that this is other women on the whole who are doing this. It is these sorts of comments which can do real damage to people. As I said previously, I hope that for the sake of her own self esteem and mental well being, that Kate never reads this sort of horrible meanness, because it's very dangerous.
I absolutely agree. The vitriol expressed on this thread is the very definition of bullying.
__________________
  #73  
Old 12-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Daria_S's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: My own head, United States
Posts: 6,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I have to say that I am surprised at the apparent level of controversy Catherine's outfit has caused, more so I think than any other. She wore a patterned, above the knee dress with a black jacket. Her make-up and hair was exactly the same as it always is and there is absolutely NOTHING whatsoever shocking about what she looked like. So what's going on people? Is there jealousy? Are we bored already? Is Chrismas shopping getting us down? Is this a battle of wills over negative or positive comments? To be frank, the outfit was was it was, completely uncontroversial....unlike that blue suit and purple tie William insists on wearing all the time!
I was wondering about that. He has been sporting that look for quite a while. Makes me wonder if he only owns one suit/tie, or if it's the combination Catherine prefers him in.

OK, now back to topic.
__________________
"My guiding principles in life are to be honest, genuine, thoughtful and caring".
~Prince William~


I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
  #74  
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Philadelphia, United States
Posts: 2,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
Catherine is always suitably attired, and just like the rest of us, she looks better at sometimes than at others. I suppose she could wear haut couture for every occasion, and have a stylist and a dresser and a makeup artist, but is that really appropriate for a young woman of her station? She seems to be genuinely popular amongst most of those who will be seeing her for the rest of her life, and I think they appreciate that she looks and dresses like an ordinary woman.
Well-said!
I really think Kate is going out of her way NOT to become a fashion icon!
I like most of the things she wears, and I'm glad she isn't allowing the press to push her into becoming some sort of doll that the designers get to dress up.

That is precisely what happened to Diana, and it didn't serve her well in the end.
I believe Kate should simply ignore the criticisms, tell herself that she can't please everybody, and dress to please herself. She'll be much better off than if she starts trying to dazzle the press; that's a path that has no end in sight.
__________________
  #75  
Old 12-07-2011, 10:32 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,335
Maybe without the jacket and a smaller belt it would have been better. Or if the jacket was one of those short jacket that don't go beyond the breast bone.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
  #76  
Old 12-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Well-said!
I really think Kate is going out of her way NOT to become a fashion icon!
I like most of the things she wears, and I'm glad she isn't allowing the press to push her into becoming some sort of doll that the designers get to dress up.

That is precisely what happened to Diana, and it didn't serve her well in the end.
I believe Kate should simply ignore the criticisms, tell herself that she can't please everybody, and dress to please herself. She'll be much better off than if she starts trying to dazzle the press; that's a path that has no end in sight.
imo i think she is confident young lady and will do and dresses in a way that fit her..imo she will be an fashion icon just because she does her own things have a flower to all u non-kate likers
__________________
ain' no sunshine when i gone
  #77  
Old 12-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Anna Catherine's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: U.C., United States
Posts: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
I think you're totally off the mark. When I, a long-time royalty follower, look at Kate, no matter age, education, income, or nationality, I think of what I would have worn to the event...and it would not have been what she wore. Unfortunately, what you call "animosity" is a bunch of people voicing their disappointment.

The makeup? Clownsville. Yep. I think it's getting worse.

As for "power" in selling clothes for moderately priced outlets...buyers are just Kate "wanna-bees", not people who hoped they would have a new member of the Royal family to admire. It's going to take years for that to happen, at least in my case.



To me, when "young girl" is used, it references a 13-14 year old, not an elderly teenager.

I like all your samples. The first one is gossamer lovely. The second is highly suitable to Kate. Notice that the fourth one, the vintage Lacroix, is modeled by a woman who looks mid-30s to 40. It is astoundingly lovely. The others are the type of clothing I wear to work.

Kate needs to get on the ball!!!!!!!!
Can you be more critical......?????????

I happen to like Kate's style alot. I will agree that sometimes on this thread and others I have visited, posters tend to make a mountain out of a molehill. Honestly, I really wonder what people on the other side of the computer look like. You can express dislike, but it reaches a point when it is rude and completely out of line. maybe everyone needs to kind of check themselves a little.
__________________
  #78  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:20 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,806
This thread has been cleaned, removing several posts which serve no purpose to the point of this thread - Catherine's evening wear.

Please remain civil and polite when posting. There is no need to use 'trashy', 'vulgar', etc language ad nauseum. There are other words which can be used in their place.

I would also like to remind everyone that all opinions - positive and negative - are valid, and allowed to be expressed on this board. That being said, let's not continue beating a dead horse in relation to certain aspects of Catherine's fashion and style.

Please direct any questions to a moderator/admin.

JessRulz
RHofF moderator
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #79  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:24 AM
JessRulz's Avatar
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 4,806
Also, if anyone wishes to make any fashion suggestions for Catherine, please visit the following thread:

Fashion Suggestions for the Duchess of Cambridge
__________________
**TRF Rules and FAQ**
  #80  
Old 12-08-2011, 10:22 AM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Anderson, United States
Posts: 129
I happen to like the dress and the jacket. I do feel that the dress is way too short for her position and age - she is almost 30 and shouldn't be wearing a length more appropriate for a high schooler. I know she has the figure for short skirts, but there is an old saying - "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

My big problem with the look is the hosiery she wore. I disagree with the posters who think a black opaque was needed. I think a very sheer black without the shine would have been better. The hose she is wearing remind me of support pantyhose I used to sell back in the late seventies and early eighties. Black opaque always looks like something a nun would wear - think Maria at the beginning of "The Sound of Music".
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Princess Letizia's Eveningwear Part 8: October 2011 - August 2012 iceflower Archives 390 08-21-2012 02:04 AM
Princess Charlene's Fashion and Style Part 2: September 2011 - January 2012 iceflower Archives 392 01-23-2012 12:35 PM
Crown Princess Mary's Daytime Fashion Part 13: August 2011 - November 2011 dazzling Archives 386 11-04-2011 08:30 AM
Princess Letizia's Eveningwear Part 7: February 2011 - October 2011 iceflower Archives 400 10-21-2011 04:25 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth bourbon-parma charlene chris o'neill crown prince felipe crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events engagement fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta elena infanta sofia jewellery jordan kate middleton king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg olympics ottoman picture of the month pieter van vollenhoven pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince floris prince maurits prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess mary queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia sofia hellqvist spain state visit visit wedding william



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:59 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]