The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 2: November 2011 - February 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehh, party dress for a young girl? Have you ever seen a ''party dress'' for a young girl? I'm 18 and I'm telling you, that is not a dress I or most others would choose to wear. :ermm:

I'm an 18 year old UK girl and I would wear that dress on either an evening out or a party of some form. It's a very lovely dress, but just not for Kate.

Maybe if it was very formal yes, but like I said, it's very office-y. Atleast to me, I like dresses to be something special, and that's not special. Kate doesn't play with clothes and it's such a shame because she's worn some pretty nice pieces. There are a lot of designers out there for her that would suit nicely. Vionnet, Giambattista Valli, Preen, Erdem, Burberry, Donna Karan. But on the other hand, it's good she's not doing just that when the economy is in the state it is now.

I liked the outfit. I think it's appropriate especially given the fact that it was a concert and even still I think it was perfectly fine. Honestly it reminds of the Temperley dress she wore last Christmas to a dinner so I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's a lovely dress. I would wear it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the way she is dressed. She looks beautiful as usual.

LMAO at people thinking this dress is too short. That is just hilarious as all getup.

Apparently Kate's vulgar, inappropriate and offensive dress from Zara is now sold out in the US, Canada and only available in XS on the UK site.

No other royal has this kind of power which I suppose explains a lot of the animosity she faces on this website.

I think you're totally off the mark. When I, a long-time royalty follower, look at Kate, no matter age, education, income, or nationality, I think of what I would have worn to the event...and it would not have been what she wore. Unfortunately, what you call "animosity" is a bunch of people voicing their disappointment.

The makeup? Clownsville. Yep. I think it's getting worse.

As for "power" in selling clothes for moderately priced outlets...buyers are just Kate "wanna-bees", not people who hoped they would have a new member of the Royal family to admire. It's going to take years for that to happen, at least in my case.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you're totally off the mark. When I, a long-time royalty follower, look at Kate, no matter age, education, income, or nationality, I think of what I would have worn to the event...and it would not have been what she wore. Unfortunately, what you call "animosity" is a bunch of people voicing their disappointment.

As for "power" in selling clothes for moderately priced outlets...buyers are just Kate "wanna-bees", not people who hoped they would have a new member of the Royal family to admire. It's going to take years for that to happen, at least in my case.

Actually, it's bullying. This woman gets utterly trashed on this forum for her hair, her weight, her skin, her clothes, her posture and her mannerisms among other things. She's been called vulgar, ridiculous, a clown, trashy, boring and cheap among other things. And it's all said with a certain level of smug glee which is really distasteful.

And the thing than annoys me the most is that this is other women on the whole who are doing this. It is these sorts of comments which can do real damage to people. As I said previously, I hope that for the sake of her own self esteem and mental well being, that Kate never reads this sort of horrible meanness, because it's very dangerous.

I like zara dress and really when you put in search in zara "lace dresses", come several lace dresses all very nice, may be a little short for my taste but i think they look all classy

Actually, it's bullying. This woman gets utterly trashed on this forum for her hair, her weight, her skin, her clothes, her posture and her mannerisms among other things. She's been called vulgar, ridiculous, a clown, trashy, boring and cheap among other things. And it's all said with a certain level of smug glee which is really distasteful.

And the thing than annoys me the most is that this is other women on the whole who are doing this. It is these sorts of comments which can do real damage to people. As I said previously, I hope that for the sake of her own self esteem and mental well being, that Kate never reads this sort of horrible meanness, because it's very dangerous.

I agree completely. I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of bullying, and it's not pleasant. I know that this is a fashion discussion, and it's fine to not like something someone is wearing, but it's not fine to completely trash the person and then try to justify those actions by saying that one is only stating an opinion. Perhaps some people need to look at how they word things before they post them. We don't know who comes on this site, and I personally, would really hate to be the cause to someone's low self-esteem and self-confidence.

Well said, Daria_S and EIIR

Catherine is always suitably attired, and just like the rest of us, she looks better at sometimes than at others. I suppose she could wear haut couture for every occasion, and have a stylist and a dresser and a makeup artist, but is that really appropriate for a young woman of her station? She seems to be genuinely popular amongst most of those who will be seeing her for the rest of her life, and I think they appreciate that she looks and dresses like an ordinary woman. There will be time enough for her to be a total glamour puss.
And as for her makeup, I think a lot of girls adopt one particular style and stay with it for a few years. William probably likes it, and it is scarcely as terrible as some who comment on it would have it.

I actually think she looks lovely, and I'm surprised the outfit is getting so much negative attention. I like the dress quite a bit. And her makeup really isn't bad- a little heavy, sure, but she's probably still figuring out what works best for her as far as press pictures go.

She also looks healthier than she has in awhile, and she's really glowing. All in all, I think it was a successful occasion for her, appearance wise.

I have to say that I am surprised at the apparent level of controversy Catherine's outfit has caused, more so I think than any other. She wore a patterned, above the knee dress with a black jacket. Her make-up and hair was exactly the same as it always is and there is absolutely NOTHING whatsoever shocking about what she looked like. So what's going on people? Is there jealousy? Are we bored already? Is Chrismas shopping getting us down? Is this a battle of wills over negative or positive comments? To be frank, the outfit was was it was, completely uncontroversial....unlike that blue suit and purple tie William insists on wearing all the time!

EIIR said:

I absolutely agree. The vitriol expressed on this thread is the very definition of bullying.

I have to say that I am surprised at the apparent level of controversy Catherine's outfit has caused, more so I think than any other. She wore a patterned, above the knee dress with a black jacket. Her make-up and hair was exactly the same as it always is and there is absolutely NOTHING whatsoever shocking about what she looked like. So what's going on people? Is there jealousy? Are we bored already? Is Chrismas shopping getting us down? Is this a battle of wills over negative or positive comments? To be frank, the outfit was was it was, completely uncontroversial....unlike that blue suit and purple tie William insists on wearing all the time!

I was wondering about that. He has been sporting that look for quite a while. Makes me wonder if he only owns one suit/tie, or if it's the combination Catherine prefers him in.

OK, now back to topic.

Catherine is always suitably attired, and just like the rest of us, she looks better at sometimes than at others. I suppose she could wear haut couture for every occasion, and have a stylist and a dresser and a makeup artist, but is that really appropriate for a young woman of her station? She seems to be genuinely popular amongst most of those who will be seeing her for the rest of her life, and I think they appreciate that she looks and dresses like an ordinary woman.

Well-said!
I really think Kate is going out of her way NOT to become a fashion icon!
I like most of the things she wears, and I'm glad she isn't allowing the press to push her into becoming some sort of doll that the designers get to dress up.

That is precisely what happened to Diana, and it didn't serve her well in the end.
I believe Kate should simply ignore the criticisms, tell herself that she can't please everybody, and dress to please herself. She'll be much better off than if she starts trying to dazzle the press; that's a path that has no end in sight.

Maybe without the jacket and a smaller belt it would have been better. Or if the jacket was one of those short jacket that don't go beyond the breast bone.

Well-said!
I like most of the things she wears, and I'm glad she isn't allowing the press to push her into becoming some sort of doll that the designers get to dress up.

That is precisely what happened to Diana, and it didn't serve her well in the end.
I believe Kate should simply ignore the criticisms, tell herself that she can't please everybody, and dress to please herself. She'll be much better off than if she starts trying to dazzle the press; that's a path that has no end in sight.

imo i think she is confident young lady and will do and dresses in a way that fit her..imo she will be an fashion icon just because she does her own things :flowers:have a flower to all u non-kate likers

To me, when "young girl" is used, it references a 13-14 year old, not an elderly teenager.

I like all your samples. The first one is gossamer lovely. The second is highly suitable to Kate. Notice that the fourth one, the vintage Lacroix, is modeled by a woman who looks mid-30s to 40. It is astoundingly lovely. The others are the type of clothing I wear to work.

Kate needs to get on the ball!!!!!!!!

Can you be more critical......?????????

I happen to like Kate's style alot. I will agree that sometimes on this thread and others I have visited, posters tend to make a mountain out of a molehill. Honestly, I really wonder what people on the other side of the computer look like. You can express dislike, but it reaches a point when it is rude and completely out of line. maybe everyone needs to kind of check themselves a little.

This thread has been cleaned, removing several posts which serve no purpose to the point of this thread - Catherine's evening wear.

Please remain civil and polite when posting. There is no need to use 'trashy', 'vulgar', etc language ad nauseum. There are other words which can be used in their place.

I would also like to remind everyone that all opinions - positive and negative - are valid, and allowed to be expressed on this board. That being said, let's not continue beating a dead horse in relation to certain aspects of Catherine's fashion and style.

Please direct any questions to a moderator/admin.

JessRulz
RHofF moderator

I happen to like the dress and the jacket. I do feel that the dress is way too short for her position and age - she is almost 30 and shouldn't be wearing a length more appropriate for a high schooler. I know she has the figure for short skirts, but there is an old saying - "just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

My big problem with the look is the hosiery she wore. I disagree with the posters who think a black opaque was needed. I think a very sheer black without the shine would have been better. The hose she is wearing remind me of support pantyhose I used to sell back in the late seventies and early eighties. Black opaque always looks like something a nun would wear - think Maria at the beginning of "The Sound of Music".

Bullying? That's a stretch. Everyone is making comments, pro and con, re: Kate's eveningwear.

Last edited:
There is constructive criticism, then there is gleefully picking someone apart, (That happens in all the Princess tread on this forums) it seems to have nothing to do with the outfits that they are wearing. If anything she should read Tom & Lorenzo | Fabulous & Opinionated, they actually gave fashion critique which a lot of these post are not.

:previous:

From what I've read regarding the comments about Kate's outfit at the site you provided, there's little else than repeating "she's perfect", "that's adorable". I don't think the comments there are more specific/constructive when it comes to fashion than they would be here. BTW, I agree that "vulgar" (though the word's origin doesn't mean anything else than "ordinary", but it is used in a different meaning nowadays) might have been a bit too harsh, but if that was the opinion of someone here, why not? I guess, sadly, negative comments about someone's fashion can easily be seen as "bashing" and some of the stuff that is written here might come across stronger than it would if it was said in a relaxed/not so serious discussion from face to face. Some of my own comments may seem tough as well, but, for me, it's really just about fashion. I'm by no means a "Kate-hater", her fashion choices just disappoint me sometimes. Sometimes I think she looks okay and sometimes I think she looks quite elegant and pretty, too.

Calling it bullying was a bit over the top in my humble opinion. I don't want to offend fellow posters and I don't want to offend the Duchess of Cambridge or any other princess, but if I find an outfit (including make up etc.) boring or ugly, what else should I say? ;) I wouldn't like it if others were afraid of stating their true opinions. Sorry for going off topic once again. I guess we should just state our opinions about her outfits and finito. :zen:;)

:previous:

From what I've read regarding the comments about Kate's outfit at the site you provided, there's little else than repeating "she's perfect", "that's adorable". I don't think the comments there are more specific/constructive when it comes to fashion than they would be here. BTW, I agree that "vulgar" (though the word's origin doesn't mean anything else than "ordinary", but it is used in a different meaning nowadays) might have been a bit too harsh, but if that was the opinion of someone here, why not? I guess, sadly, negative comments about someone's fashion can easily be seen as "bashing" and some of the stuff that is written here might come across stronger than it would if it was said in a relaxed/not so serious discussion from face to face. Some of my own comments may seem tough as well, but, for me, it's really just about fashion. I'm by no means a "Kate-hater", her fashion choices just disappoint me sometimes. Sometimes I think she looks okay and sometimes I think she looks quite elegant and pretty, too.

Calling it bullying was a bit over the top in my humble opinion. I don't want to offend fellow posters and I don't want to offend the Duchess of Cambridge or any other princess, but if I find an outfit (including make up etc.) boring or ugly, what else should I say? ;) I wouldn't like it if others were afraid of stating their true opinions. Sorry for going off topic once again. I guess we should just state our opinions about her outfits and finito. :zen:;)

I wasn't talking about the user comments, I was talking about Tom and Lorenzo post and how they critique fashion. And they have never used they word she/he perfect or adorable in their posts about any celebs. That why I said Tom and Lorenzo not the user comments.

And some of these post in this tread other others on this forums have nothing to do with the clothes that the "princess" wear, it start to get into how they look physical and their personality in a gleeful way

miche said:
There is constructive criticism, then there is gleefully picking someone apart, (That happens in all the Princess tread on this forums) it seems to have nothing to do with the outfits that they are wearing. If anything she should read Tom & Lorenzo | Fabulous & Opinionated, they actually gave fashion critique which a lot of these post are not.

+ 1

It was a pop concert for goodness sake!! The outfit was suitable. Guaranteed had she worn an expensive designer dress she'd be completely slated for being overdressed!

I actually think she looks lovely, and I'm surprised the outfit is getting so much negative attention. I like the dress quite a bit. And her makeup really isn't bad- a little heavy, sure, but she's probably still figuring out what works best for her as far as press pictures go.
I's sorry, but that theory won't wash! Catherine has been in the public eye for the best part of ten years and, to be honest, has looked a lot softer, lighter and natural in the makeup department and a lot more elegant and adventurous in the dress department.

I am more intrigued by those who talk about her expressing "young" fashion trends in such a way as she sound like she's 20 instead of a mature 30! At that age "youthful" is a bit "off". By now she should have established her "style" and, to be honest, before her engagement and wedding she did have a style of her own. Admittedly, it was not a style that i was madly enthused by, but it was a definite "Kate" persona.

Then came the engagement and "Catherine", and everything changed. I thought the outfit she wore to "fly the coup" after the wedding was definitely short, but it was a private occasion and nobody minded. She looked happy and that was enough. Her first official appearances were lovely but then, after the Canadian tour, everything changed. Her hems really went up and she put away all those elegant outfits, the electric blue Jacquenta dress or the all lace "Cecile" dress by Erdem come to mind. Had she accessorised something like that with evening shoes and clutch she would have looked like the old "Kate", restrained but elegant. But she seems to have disappeared, morphed into "Catherine", who wears desperately "youthful" clothes that, by comparison, are not a patch on what went before.

More importantly, the new style looks "cheap" and "economy" in an "I am not spending lots of money in these straightened times" kind of way. It is almost like her clothes are making a politically correct statement, like dressing down a tulip dress with a cheap belt. Or, she could have found facing the big 3 0 a personal challenge?

Either way, I want the old Kate back. She had confidence and style!

Last edited:
This dress is incredibly adorable.

The thing that people here seen to be choosing to ignore is that this was a POP CONCERT!!! This event will have been attended by thousands of other people in jeans and mini dresses. This is not a gala event in the vein of the Royal Variety Performance or a night at the Royal Opera House.

With regards to the dress being too short, did I miss something and we're now in the 1950's???? That dress is nowhere near too short, it's a mini dress is the style which is very much in at the moment. She's wearing fairly dark tights which means she can get away with the shorter hemline. If this dress is 'vulgar' then you'd all think I'm a tramp when you see me heading out with my friends.

She was criticised last week for wearing an expensive dress. So she wears a dress that most people can afford and gets criticised still. She wore a bright green dress last week and was savaged for it and so wears something more demure and is savaged for wearing a dull colour.

I truly hope that Catherine never stumbles upon this forum because if she read these threads I wouldn't blame her for wanting to sit in a dark room and never go out!! No other royal female gets anywhere near this level of vitriol and mean spiritedness and it makes this site an increasingly unpleasant place.

I totally agree. Princess Charlene wore a dress the same length as this one, to a daytime event (a school I believe) and didn't get called vulgar or whatever. Someone already mentioned CP Victoria's short dresses and Letizia has worn a few short ones recently, yet neither of them have been called vulgar. In fact, I think people liked Letizia's dress.

Kate's dress looks fine. It's cute and age appropriate. She was going to a pop concert where many of the other attendees were dressed casually. Last week she was called out for dressing too old, now she's dressing too young. It seems like she really can't win.

As for her makeup, I don't think it's changing any time soon. She's probably aware of the criticism about it, but obviously likes the way it looks. I have to admire that a little. She likes what she likes and isn't going to let others change her.

I agree completely. I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of bullying, and it's not pleasant. I know that this is a fashion discussion, and it's fine to not like something someone is wearing, but it's not fine to completely trash the person and then try to justify those actions by saying that one is only stating an opinion. Perhaps some people need to look at how they word things before they post them. We don't know who comes on this site, and I personally, would really hate to be the cause to someone's low self-esteem and self-confidence.

I absolutely agree. The vitriol expressed on this thread is the very definition of bullying.

Well-said!

I totally agree with these posts - and it's the reason I rarely visit this forum anymore. I find that she is verbally torn apart on a regular basis, there always seems to be something wrong with whatever she wears. The repetitiveness is tiring to me, so I don't miss not reading here.

I's sorry, but that theory won't wash! Catherine has been in the public eye for the best part of ten years and, to be honest, has looked a lot softer, lighter and natural in the makeup department and a lot more elegant and adventurous in the dress department.

I am more intrigued by those who talk about her expressing "young" fashion trends in such a way as she sound like she's 20 instead of a mature 30! At that age "youthful" is a bit "off". By now she should have established her "style" and, to be honest, before her engagement and wedding she did have a style of her own. Admittedly, it was not a style that i was madly enthused by, but it was a definite "Kate" persona.

Then came the engagement and "Catherine", and everything changed. I thought the outfit she wore to "fly the coup" after the wedding was definitly short, but it was a private occasion and nobody minded. She looked happy and that was enough. Her first official appearances were lovely but then, after the Canadian tour, everything changed. Her hems really went up and she put away all those elegant outfits, the electric blue Jacquenta dress by Erdem comes to mind. Had she accessorised something like that with evening shoes and clutch she would have looked like the old "Kate", restrained but elegant. But she seems to have disappeared, morphed into "Catherine", who wears deperately "youthful" clothes that, by comparision, are not a patch on what went before.

More importantly, the new stlye looks "cheap" and "economy" in an "I am not spending lots of money in these straightened times" kind of way. It is almost like her clothes are making a politically correct statement, like dressing down a tulip dress with a cheap belt. Or, she could have found facing the big 3 0 a personal challenge?

Either way, I want the old Kate back. She had confidence and style!

I rather think that something has changed in the way you look at her, I don't see a different Catherine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bullying? That's a stretch. Everyone is making comments, pro and con, re: Kate's eveningwear.

I agree that commenting negatively on a forum about what in reality is JUST A DRESS shouldn't be deemed as being bullying, but it does make me worried that if some people can can talk so scathingly about another's apparent errors in fashion, what the hell are they going to be like in real life? God help the person passing them on the street wearing a pair of black tights in the wrong way or having a belt two millimetres too thick or too thin or too high up the waist or who flicks their hair too much or wears eye make-up beyond the permitted amount, shade or colour.
Yet! Prince William wears the same thing every day (and evening) with only a change of his shirt!

Yet! Prince William wears the same thing every day (and evening) with only a change of his shirt!
You are correct! Fair's fair, he should be caned over his lack of flair. His father has managed to make the Best Dressed list on several occasions so, perhaps a little fatherly advice is in order.

You never know, with a bit of a push we could yet see William wearing brown jumpers edged with purple!

:previous:That would be a true fashion statement and on the cutting edge, I'm sure! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom