The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Serene Highness

I read the thread before looking at the pictures, and the dress was longer than I had imagined it. I think it is made to look too short by the amount of shiny leg exposed. What I don't like are the jarring color contrasts that aren't tonal (and aren't well thought-out, IMO). The dark black jacket/sweater thing is okay, but the hose are not opaque and black enough to offset the outfit and make it look like evening wear. Really black legs were needed, not shiny gray ones. I'm allowing for some issues in the photography - but I doubt this is an issue of photography. It looks like we can see the part of the hose where they start to change into the "tops" and that just doesn't look right.

Blusher is way too heavy. As usual, the eyeliner is overdone, although I'm getting quite used to that - the funny thing is that I tend to ignore her facial expressions in general now, always the same makeup and smile. Many of us have said it many times (and in different ways): she needs to look more natural, change things up.

For me, it's not the length that's the problem, it's the fact that the hose look...overexposed and stretched out/too light. It's a very ordinary outfit, something I'd see on almost anyone - in daytime too. By standards in Hawaii (maybe it's our sun) the makeup is way overdone - but perhaps this is the fashion in London/ Sloane set? The same would be true in SoCal (again, a fairly sunny place where one is often glimpsed in bright sunlight even in early evening...but where lots of makeup done differently than Kate's is appropriate for night time - more shadows, less liner, though - and certainly not that apple-cheek look).

Sorry to sound so critical, but recent pictures of Kate out and about shopping haven't been so revelatory of these continued over-makeup practices (and again, perhaps it's considered the way to apply make-up in her set, I don't know - it just seems unusual and other royals I see on these forums seem less made-up). Am I being too hard on her? It's been a long day.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Serene Highness

i would have like to seen her in a evening gown but what she wore was nice and she dress according to her age..which is nice to see

Old 12-06-2011, 11:36 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree. With all the metallics and lurex available now, the jacket could have had a bit more "zip". Perhaps Kate was trying to highlight the lace on the dress by contrasting it with black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
I like the outfit.
A common criticism is that Kate dresses too old for her age; but when she wears a short dress that is more age-appropriate, it's considered vulgar.

I would have preferred a brightly colored jacket instead of all black, but I don't see anything wrong with the ensemble. (Besides, it's something she can wear again).
Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Courtier

I don't get how short equals youth? The dress was too short. I prefer knee-length. If you look at others at the event they look very festive. She once again wears wrong outfit wrong event. Her hair/makeup was not festive enough. I wonder if makeup is heavy because of the photographs? As for her hair stop touching it..please :)

Thanks PrincessKaimi I think you made some good points as well, particularly about the makeup.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Courtier

The dress was not too short, it the same height that Victoria has been wearing lately. People wear shorter dress, and what she was wearing was perfectly fine for the events
Old 12-07-2011, 12:58 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
The dress was not too short, it the same height that Victoria has been wearing lately. People wear shorter dress, and what she was wearing was perfectly fine for the events
I think Victoria's is too short. . Her maternity wardrobe is bad well most of it. Wrong topic though.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

The dress is quite nice, quite dressy if only it was a bit longer, I find it way too short.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:11 AM
Heir Presumptive

I really do not like this look, it's too short and the whole look is too balck including the eye liner .
Old 12-07-2011, 03:18 AM
Courtier

A short dress can look very elegant for evening wear. However, the dress Kate chose rather resembled a "party dress" for a young girl. Wrong style for her completely. The black hose also looked harsh. The jacket was smart and elegant though but not enough to lift the overall look.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:46 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Not a good look at all. The dress is way too short and the combination with simple jacket and black hose not dressy enough for an evening event. Kate looks very blah and boring and style-wise not like 2011 but 1981.

I find her constant touching and fiddling with the hair so annoying. She has beautiful hair but its such a waste to have it hanging down in curls only to give something to do, otherwise she wouldnt know where to put her hands. Either cut it, or do something with it.

Horrible make-up as usual.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...90_306x873.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/...75_306x873.jpg
Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 AM
Aristocracy

I think the problem with this outfit is that there's too much of it. The dress by itself, without the huge belt, might have been gorgeous, teamed with opaque black tights. The jacket with a different dress (color!) might have looked awesome. But this particular (tailored) jacket with this particular (lace, somewhat fancy) dress, with this particular belt and these particular tights -- it all adds up to a mixed up mashup that doesn't do justice to any of the individual pieces.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

I totally agree. I like the dress, but the belt ruins it. The jacket don´t matched it and those black tights have to go, but then the dress should be a little longer... I think it isn´t an appropriate outfit at all.

Proud admirer and supporter of the Princess of Asturias, Viana and Gerona (2005 - ) :)
Old 12-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Courtier

I actually like the dress and jacket, nothing special for an evening event though. Agree with PrincessKaimi that it's rather a hose problem, it's too see-through and that doesn't create a good look with her long legs and the shortness of the dress.

But gosh, she needs to do something about that make-up. I cannot believe this girl is supposed to be no 30 years old, she looks 10 years older at least.

Her hair itself is gorgeous, but she really should think about some different hairstyles.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:32 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

People keep mentioning that Catherine didn't look festive enough. Well it was a concert not a Santa's grotto, would you like her to wear a Santa's hat with every outfit? It's only December 7th.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

The dress is lovely but that swede belt ruins all the look!!!! The dress is pretty enough she shouldn't be wearing that belt...
Old 12-07-2011, 06:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

This dress is incredibly adorable.

The thing that people here seen to be choosing to ignore is that this was a POP CONCERT!!! This event will have been attended by thousands of other people in jeans and mini dresses. This is not a gala event in the vein of the Royal Variety Performance or a night at the Royal Opera House.

With regards to the dress being too short, did I miss something and we're now in the 1950's???? That dress is nowhere near too short, it's a mini dress is the style which is very much in at the moment. She's wearing fairly dark tights which means she can get away with the shorter hemline. If this dress is 'vulgar' then you'd all think I'm a tramp when you see me heading out with my friends.

She was criticised last week for wearing an expensive dress. So she wears a dress that most people can afford and gets criticised still. She wore a bright green dress last week and was savaged for it and so wears something more demure and is savaged for wearing a dull colour.

I truly hope that Catherine never stumbles upon this forum because if she read these threads I wouldn't blame her for wanting to sit in a dark room and never go out!! No other royal female gets anywhere near this level of vitriol and mean spiritedness and it makes this site an increasingly unpleasant place.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:34 AM
Courtier

She's beautiful! Her hair is very glossy here.
I like the dress, but I find it a bit short for the occasion. It would have been a perfect dress for an other event, but not for a concert at Royal Albert Hall. I'm not saying that Catherine is vulgar - I even think that Catherine can't be vulgar - but her outfit is not appropriate.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Courtier

weeell the outfit is not THAT bad in fact it is definitely better than the green nightmare from last week. The belt could be removed but otherwise I think it is okay I have already seen worse on Kate. However her eyebrows are really killing me that is just too much brown eyebrow powder. Back to normal if you ask me - her natural eyebrows are beautifully shaped and don't need this heavy make up.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Oh yes, the eye-brows are quite horrible as well. I still don't get it why she's "painting" her face like that (as it looked MUCH better with less make up). And I will never understand why she, as it seems, refuses to get advice from a professional make up artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post
Kate looks very blah and boring and style-wise not like 2011 but 1981.
Yes, as always. I guess I'll do a mark on my calender if she ever impresses me with an outfit. She really disappoints me - I've never been crazy about her style, but I would say that before she became engaged she dressed even better (and how rare is that? Most of the CP's have improved their looks after the engagement/wedding). Yes, there were outfits in the last eight or so years which I found elegant, classy or even stylish, but now she only goes for plain and boring stuff. Conservative style does not have to look boring, IMO!

The dress is nice, btw. I wouldn't mind to own it either, but for a Duchess/Princess attending a concert at the Royal Albert Hall together with the future King of England? Camilla looked appropriate, Kate as if she was any young woman her age, with not much fashion sense, who had been invited to spend an evening with Their Royal Highnesses.

Sorry if I "offend" someone's point of view - her outfit here isn't horrible or bad, but I personally expect something totally different...
Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Nobility

Posters here are pretty tough. If you want to see vulgar, go to the Daily Mail's femail column. Kate has never looked vulgar, ever. If you step back a bit, this was a POP concert, she's young and this is a young look. Using black/grey kept it from screaming. A red jacket, for example, with the black/white and grey would have called more attention to itself. I think she managed to look youthful and less serious than usual without crossing the "too much" line or into the dread vulgar territory.