The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Royal Highness

An enchanting look for Catherine - my favourite dress and jewels so far! Black velvet...what a dream and the necklace is amazing!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by life84 View Post
I agree, she has a beautiful hair and I like it down but sometimes she needs to change and looks different. People might like her more with her hair up, ultimately it's her hair and she can do whatever she likes with it
Somehow I don't think people who do not like her will like her more if she puts her hair up. Very elementary lesson: do what is comfortable for you and NOT what others determine for you, ultimately you will be a much happier person.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 PM
Heir Apparent

I think what life84 means is that people would like Kate to wear her hair up more, not like her personally if she does.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Courtier

The Queen wearing a strapless black dress
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lw...1o8_r1_250.jpg
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Definitely not. As shown Diana wore black in 1981. They even wear it to weddings sometimes.
Things have changed in 30 years, Diana got in big trouble for wearing it in 1981, it was headline news, (plus the plunging neckline!)
She didn't wear black again as POW, even her famous dance with John Travolta was midnight blue.

And, there is a wonderful image of the Queen wearing a poodle skirt in 1955, I will try to get it.
It's a question of clothes that are off duty or on-duty.

What shocks me about Catherine's dress, another poster mentioned it, is that it is TOO LONG. Can you imagine having a custom made $6,000 dress and it's too long!! Or maybe she wore different shoes at the last minute?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:04 PM
Majesty

The length of the dress and the flowing skirt made me think that this dress would look amazing during a waltz. Maybe she was being wistful when ordering it, hoping to use it at some point for such an occasion . I know I won't pass up an opportunity of a spin on the dance floor in a dress like that and with a husband as dashing as hers (and mind you, I'm not exactly graceful on my feet). I'm thinking that she would look divine when doing a dance routine for 'It's Delovely' from 'Anything Goes'.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Even the bodice of this dress resembles Diana's and Kate's. This must be a popular style.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
That is a very lovely picture, and a gorgeous dress. I agree with Baroness, this must be a popular style with royal ladies.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Things have changed in 30 years, Diana got in big trouble for wearing it in 1981, it was headline news, (plus the plunging neckline!)
She didn't wear black again as POW, even her famous dance with John Travolta was midnight blue.

And, there is a wonderful image of the Queen wearing a poodle skirt in 1955, I will try to get it.

What shocks me about Catherine's dress, another poster mentioned it, is that it is TOO LONG. Can you imagine having a custom made $6,000 dress and it's too long!! Or maybe she wore different shoes at the last minute?

First off thanks Miche for the link to the Queen. I also think that everyone on this forum could find plenty of pics with people wearing black strapless dresses. So as usual the Diana comparisons was a reach.

As for the dress I like the cut as it gave her more curves. The length as some have pointed out was too much as evident by her constant hitching routine. The jewels were odd. The flowers looked almost childish in some pics and pretty in others. I suspect the piece is convertible but I am not sure it would work with her hair. As for the event she wore the dress to I just do not know if I would have picked to wear it to a military event. The reason is that the focus should have been put on the military and I feel like with the new dress/jewels the attention was on her. I also feel like the whole "look" screamed state visit. As usual I will leave the hair alone.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:30 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
The length as some have pointed out was too much as evident by her constant hitching routine.
Can someone please direct me to video of Catherine "constantly" hitching up her dress! I think I have watched all the video available and haven't seen anything of this nature. I must have missed it somewhere. The only mention of this is in an article and before I comment on it I would actually like to SEE it.

Thanks in advance. This is making me very frustrated!
Old 12-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
First off thanks Miche for the link to the Queen. I also think that everyone on this forum could find plenty of pics with people wearing black strapless dresses. So as usual the Diana comparisons was a reach.
In all fairness, the Diana dress is famous. Those pictures are fairly iconic and much has been written about that dress. I don't think the comparisons were over the top at all, and I think the insistence that Catherine NEVER be compared to Diana is just as silly as comparing every little thing would be.

Diana's part of the history of the royal family, and she shouldn't dominate the conversation but she shouldn't be absent from it either. I'm sure Kate knew the comparison would be made, and I'm positive that she didn't mind it one bit.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Very pretty!!!

So, every generation of Princess (was she already Queen?) worn this type of dress.
Very touching!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I don't think the comparisons were over the top at all, and I think the insistence that Catherine NEVER be compared to Diana is just as silly as comparing every little thing would be.

Diana's part of the history of the royal family, and she shouldn't dominate the conversation but she shouldn't be absent from it either. I'm sure Kate knew the comparison would be made, and I'm positive that she didn't mind it one bit.
My and the previous poster's references to Diana's black dress , and the Queen's studio portrait in a black strapless dress were made to answer another poster's question of whether or not BRF ladies can wear black in instances other than funerals. They were not made as an easy reference to Diana.
I very much like your sentiment, HRH H, re: Diana as it is a good way to regard those who have died, "not dominate the conversation but she shouldn't be absent from it either".
Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

The dress was long, but it may have been intentional to achieve those graceful folds around her feet? A lot of celebrities seem to wear this style to walk the red carpet.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
The dress was long, but it may have been intentional to achieve those graceful folds around her feet? A lot of celebrities seem to wear this style to walk the red carpet.
It's a fishtail type of dress. It makes the body look longer and more graceful.
This is one of my favorite dress that has a fishtail. Marisa Tomei's Oscar Dress 2009 - Oscar Gowns - Zimbio
Old 12-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post

Diana actually did wear black when she was POW.

The Princess Of Wales At The Barbican For A Performance Of

Diana Princess Of Wales Attending The Film Premiere At The

Even the Queen has worn black to an official event.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6...707831d470.jpg

So I don't think things have really changed much in the last 30 years.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM
Courtier

I thought the issue with Diana's black sleeveless dress 30 years ago was that when she got out of the car you got more of a glimpse of her décolletage than was socially acceptable then. The same for when she climbed the stairs at that same event.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK

I agree. This is one of her most elegant looks to date.
I love the way Catherine looks in that black dress she looks beautiful and elegant:)
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Commoner

I agree - the Duchess of Cambridge "rocked" at the "millies"!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Diana actually did wear black when she was POW.

The Princess Of Wales At The Barbican For A Performance Of

Diana Princess Of Wales Attending The Film Premiere At The

Even the Queen has worn black to an official event.

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6...707831d470.jpg

So I don't think things have really changed much in the last 30 years.
Thank you for the correction and the wonderful images! Never say never but let's say black was discouraged?
Diana's dress issue was the color and the plunging neckline, something not all of us have to worry about

In fact, until maybe 40 years ago (please correct me on this) any teenager was discouraged from wearing black dresses, it was reserved for when you were "older", and sophisticated.
It seems hard to believe now but it's also hard to believe women couldn't wear pants to certain restaurants either!