The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 1: June 2011 - November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just thinking about how, at the time, Diana's hair seemed...short. Now, a lot of us went and imitated it at the time - so it was certainly fashionable, but now, I'm realizing how practical it was, as well. It's been breezy here, fighting hair is no fun.

I had not heard that Diana quote - thank you. Diana's hairstyle revisions seem to reflect a desire to keep her hair in place and look stylish at all times. Will be interesting to see how Kate copes with this same dilemma (always going to be wind and helicopters and photogs everywhere). Maybe Kate isn't bothered by it.

Anyone (male or female) who has had long hair for a considerable time, would find it extremely difficult to switch to short hair - don't ask me why...

Both my son (32) and I have always had thick long hair, and the idea of having to cut it off would be unbearable....

I think Kate will need to experiment if she is using a helicopter that day then maybe a chic ponytail or up do so she doesn't come of the helicopter looking a mess same with windy days. I think she will learn over time I don't think wearing it down all the time like she seems too is going to work with her new life style. She can be as windswept as she likes with her hair anywhere as Kate but as the Dof C going to events and representing the Royal Family she needs to be a little more neat and tidy. I don't want her to do an Anne and just throw her hair up and never let it down there is a time and a place for various styles. She has a hairdresser for these events listen to them and use them! The Queen has made several decisions based on her role, her hair has stayed the same for continuity, she wears bright lipstick so she can be seen. Even her hats and clothes are done with people and events in mind. Kate will one day be the Queen so she will need to think of these things herself.

Meadow - I've only just realised that the Queen always has the same kind of coiffure :)
Am I right in thinking that she sometimes wears a hairpiece ??

I think she is slowly learning. She wore her hair pulled back and in ponytails several times during the Canadian and California tours. She's new to this so she's going to make mistakes with her clothing choices and hairstyles. As time goes on she'll learn what works and what doesn't.

I'm the first one to stay Catherine's down do is boring, but it looks good. The condition of her hair, whether it's up or down, side to side doesn't really matter in the long run. There's nothing really to 'learn' about your hair, you pick a style that suits you and you stick with it. What else is there?

A few people up thread said it's always blowing around on windy days, which is what I was responding too. So when I say learn, I mean she'll figure out the best way to wear it for certain conditions.

Last edited:
I especially like the fitted camel-couloured jacket;-) Her hair looks natural and nice:flowers:

Anyone (male or female) who has had long hair for a considerable time, would find it extremely difficult to switch to short hair - don't ask me why...

Both my son (32) and I have always had thick long hair, and the idea of having to cut it off would be unbearable....

I'm puzzled as to what hair has to do with evening wear, but I'll comment too.

I had my lovely, flowing sable locks cut short; was mortified, grew it out again and promptly got a pixie cut. It's been short ever since and I think when I retire in a couple of years, I'm going to let it grow again to avoid the haircutter.

I am not a fan of one's hair becoming a distraction. Even when Kate is talking to someone, she is often doing that hair-twizzling thing that drives me batty.

Last edited:
Goodness...I realize things are slow in Cambridge watching.

But are we still talking about hair?

My two cents!

I would bet dollars to donuts that William loves her long hair, and likes her to wear it down. I don't think she is making the hair decisions unilaterally, but rather is taking into account what her husband likes and wants of her. And if he likes it down, that's all that matters right now.

As for the fidgeting and constant touching, smoothing, flipping, of her hair, I do hope she learns not to do this, it's very distracting and a bit inelegant.

Royal Newbie said:
Doesn't bother me at all. It's just one of her "quirks".

But in some pictures she was doing it whilst talking to somebody else or listening to a speech. It makes her appear less focused. I doubt it's a sign of nerves because she rarely does it when it's up/in an elaborate style and she's so confident. It just seems to be an unfortunate habit. No doubt she'll have to get it cut or have it up more at some point.

But in some pictures she was doing it whilst talking to somebody else or listening to a speech. It makes her appear less focused. I doubt it's a sign of nerves because she rarely does it when it's up/in an elaborate style and she's so confident. It just seems to be an unfortunate habit. No doubt she'll have to get it cut or have it up more at some point.

It really is just my opinion, but it wouldn't bother me if she was talking to me and moved her hair!

I can tell that it annoys you, ...me, not so much. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes. :flowers:

It really is just my opinion, but it wouldn't bother me if she was talking to me and moved her hair!

I can tell that it annoys you, ...me, not so much. Different strokes for different folks as the saying goes. :flowers:
It doesn't bother me either... :flowers:

I'm with you. She can twirl her hair in my presence if she desires. Heck, I'm sure I have a great deal of habits that others may find offensive (I fiddle with my jewelry all the time, and need to have something in my hands to prevent myself from fiddling with my fingers).

imo its not a big thing at least she has long hair..some of us have to buy long hair :)

Some of the Royals have to buy long hair, e.g. Charlene with her chignons, and Grace with her huge hairpieces - she used to add several of them in the course of a day, apparently.

GRACE HAD HAIR PIECES!!!!!!!!!! You lie! Oh say it isn't so!
Anyway, everyone has nervous ticks, I don't know why Kate's hair bothers so many people.

Most women with long hair do fiddle with their hair. It's just a natural habit. I don't know why it's such an issue.

Can we please move on and discuss evening wear and not reasons why the Duchesses hair problems; fiddles, style etc

Kate does have a beautiful head of hair which really suits her. She also looks very elegant when it is pulled back into a classic form of twisted "bun" in the nape of her neck. I do love this look on her especially with an evening gown. As for her evening wear, she always chooses a classic yet sophisticated look with no fuss and frills. I see Sara Burton is fast becoming a good designer for her. The pale lavender Graecian gown she wore in Canada recently was romantic and whimsical. I always love the little clutch bags she uses to assessorise. Kate is certainly becoming a real icon making the "A" grade in elegant fashion wear.

Last edited:
GRACE HAD HAIR PIECES!!!!!!!!!! You lie! Oh say it isn't so!
Anyway, everyone has nervous ticks, I don't know why Kate's hair bothers so many people.

Of course she had hair pieces. Do you think that these enormeous voluminous chignons were her hair??

Caroline also had in some REd Cross balls, she was 17-18 years old and had short hair, and suddenly appeared to the ball with hair up...

as for Catherine, allo her to have a small tick...

does anyone know why brand of shampoo & conditionor she uses? her hair is so thick and long im looking forward to her appearance wearing a tiara..just want to see the updo

google the info,,I did for her wedding makeup, gel liner, I bought different colors, I did buy her lipstick and blush..the pink-y blush she wore was just too pink for me, so I blended what I have and it's good.

13/10/11 The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at a fundraising Gala evening in aid of the Child Bereavement Charity
http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/o...hild-bereavement-charity-pic-pa-732983355.jpg

Great colour for Kate, the hair as usual. I am missing some jewellery and all in all the dress is too nightgown-ish for me.
If I didnt know Kate's age I would ask myself when looking at William why they allowed him to marry a much older woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom