The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion > Archives

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 06:14 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
What I think this all stems from though is the desire for Kate to become some sort of international clothes horse like Diana was. It's pretty clear from the fact that she chose not to take a dresser with her on this tour and her fairly conservative, although always totally elegant, choice in her clothes that this is the last thing she wants to be.

I think we're seeing Kate trying her best not to fall into the trap that befell Diana - where people don't care about anything other than what she was wearing. Kate wants to try and keep as much of the spotlight on the cause that they happen to be championing at any given moment and also on her husband who is the future King.

Now, the international press will probably not play ball with her on this. They already seem pretty obsessed with her; I think she's probably fighting a losing battle. But, she seems determined not to encourage them and so I think you'll continue to see her dress appropriately but not spectacularly. Which will probably not please the 'fashion police' on these forums who, I might add, are often incredibly cruel with some of their comments.
Very well said and I agree completely. Catherine is supporting William and is doing her best not to become a fashion icon, but part of a team. Perhaps he has told her how much he loves her hair down, perhaps she is pleasing him.. She has been elegantly appropriate during this trip and indeed, since she has become engaged. She just might think that if the fashionistas call her style "boring" it is a compliment and she has accomplished what she set out to do. A woman who is wise beyond her years, is the Duchess of Cambridge.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Would have chosen a different belt, but a part from that it was fine. I wonder how long it's going to take for people to get over the eyeliner and Kate wearing her hair down? It's her thing she's been doing it for years, it's time to move on.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-10-2011, 07:57 PM
Nobility

Oh honestly I like her hair down. The dress is beautiful and elegant and the color is lovely. I LOVE her shoes. The earrings she apparently got from the Queen are pretty as well. I really like this look. She has a certain style and this is it. The Betl is my favorite part. i love everything about the dress.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Would have chosen a different belt, but a part from that it was fine. I wonder how long it's going to take for people to get over the eyeliner and Kate wearing her hair down? It's her thing she's been doing it for years, it's time to move on.
I would agree that it is time to move on .... we all know there are those that do NOT like her hair down and her eye liner, it has been noted ... many, many times. Also, I have known a number of women over the years who have worn their hair down (and long) far past the time they really should have simply because that is what their husband likes.

As to Catherine "doing things" for people to comment on rather than just her hair and fashion, please, she has not been married even three months yet, I think it is pushing a bit for that accusation. If it is still the case in a year then that is another thing. I'm not a fan of the strong eye linger but look at any fashion magazine and you will see it. I just hope she is not doing the same thing in thirty years.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanna Wynne View Post
YES! EIIR and grevinnan, I see it as you do.

It is clear that Kate is trying to avoid the traps into which Diana fell, yet at the same time push British fashion and always look her best, while staying in her own comfort zone. How can we fault her for that?

On the truly triumphant Canada/USA tour, there were looks I liked less than others, but compare her to any other public figure. The overall impression is what counts -- and the impression of the tour is one of excellence and effortless elegance. She is beautiful, and at the same time lovely (not always found together...) in her impeccable manner. What a handsome pair she and William make, and for the UK, they have become the greatest ambassadors in the world. I wish people wouldn't nitpick, since the whole is quite remarkable. It will be interesting to watch her evolve over the years, but I suspect she will always err on the side of caution and remember her primary function: to support and bring credit to her husband and his position -- without seeking to draw undue attention to herself.
Yes she is beautiful and lovely and they are a dynamite pair for the BRF. She has always supported William and does appear to be styling herself as a "normal" wife. That said, I was disapointed in her dressy look for the end of the tour. Could not see the earrings for the hair and the dress was very plain for me.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:23 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princejohnny25 View Post
Love the gown, but no loving it completely on Kate. I think a woman with a few more curves would have pulled off this dress perfectly, plus, the lackluster hair is a real downer on the look. Liz needs to send Kate to the Swedish Court for a lesson on hair styling.
Agree about the fit. The top part could have been tailored better but I liked the bottom. Her shoes were nice as well. I hope to see them with a shorter hemline the next time she wears them.

I do think though that Kate is interested in fashion otherwise she would be wearing no-name labels rather than the Jenny Packham, Alexander McQueen, and Erdem of the world. For example: Angela Kelly the Queen's dresser would be the only clothes she would wear.

I understand the point however that you feel that she aspires to be more and I certainly hope so as well. Although one can balance a life of high-fashion with charitable causes much like Diana did. In fact I always thought that she used the interest people had in her clothes and tried to redirect that to other more important causes.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:41 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancchick View Post
I love this dress ! It's so elegant !
Old 07-11-2011, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemagre View Post
I do think though that Kate is interested in fashion otherwise she would be wearing no-name labels rather than the Jenny Packham, Alexander McQueen, and Erdem of the world. For example: Angela Kelly the Queen's dresser would be the only clothes she would wear.
Kate often wears no-name labels, and mixes them with designer pieces for more versatility. She's known for shopping Kensington High Street and buying clothes off the rack.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

She looks beautiful.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Majesty

My favorite from the North American tour is the Bafta dress.You can vote for your favorite outfit here:

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Event Roundup: The Duchess of Cambridge in North America
Old 07-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Nobility

I love the bafta dress as well.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:19 AM
Heir Apparent

My fav ( of eveningwear) was # 23! Honorable mention goes to # 20!
Old 07-14-2011, 02:22 AM
Aristocracy

The Bafta dress was lovely but the colour still veered towards neutral!
It would have been amazing to see those earrings HM loaned the new Duchess if Kate had worn her hair up or at least half up. As it was, they were only visible when she (as usual) played with her hair.

Another advantage of putting her hair up? It would bring more focus to Kate's eyes and then maybe HRH could start weaning herself off that eyeliner!

Still, she looked lovely. She's never going to be as magical as Diana was, but I don't think she wants or needs to be another Diana. Hopefully as the Duchess gains confidence she will spread her wings a bit and not always stick to the completely safe choices as is her wont now. While she hasn't put a foot wrong since the wedding, IMO a year from now - those safe choices will start crossing the line into boring . And there's still the issue of her usual neutral palette making it difficult for the Duchess to be seen by the crowds who are not right up front. And isn't a Duchess meant to be seen?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliza View Post
The Bafta dress was lovely but the colour still veered towards neutral!
It would have been amazing to see those earrings HM loaned the new Duchess if Kate had worn her hair up or at least half up. As it was, they were only visible when she (as usual) played with her hair.

Another advantage of putting her hair up? It would bring more focus to Kate's eyes and then maybe HRH could start weaning herself off that eyeliner!

Still, she looked lovely. She's never going to be as magical as Diana was, but I don't think she wants or needs to be another Diana. Hopefully as the Duchess gains confidence she will spread her wings a bit and not always stick to the completely safe choices as is her wont now. While she hasn't put a foot wrong since the wedding, IMO a year from now - those safe choices will start crossing the line into boring . And there's still the issue of her usual neutral palette making it difficult for the Duchess to be seen by the crowds who are not right up front. And isn't a Duchess meant to be seen?
I so agree with you on this! Diana was Diana. Kate is Kate. She will be/ grow to be/ is magical in a way unique to her, just as Diana had her own brand of magic. She is not a replacement for Diana. The only person Kate needs to be is Kate.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I so agree with you on this! Diana was Diana. Kate is Kate. She will be/ grow to be/ is magical in a way unique to her, just as Diana had her own brand of magic. She is not a replacement for Diana. The only person Kate needs to be is Kate.
Agreed - and I think it is long overdue that the people who are dying to see her in the glitz and glam clothes need to realise this.
If Catherine wants to experiment with her clothing, then I am sure she will do so when she is ready for it.

Let her be, she will most likely be a part of the BRF for the rest of her life so there is plenty of time to see what happens.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy

Anne Hathaway 'grateful' to Kate Middleton
Old 08-12-2011, 03:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Newbie View Post
One of my favorite actresses coping the style of one of my favorite royal ladies.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:01 PM
Nobility

Haha Anna Hathaway's princess role in Princess Diary 2 also copied Belgium Princess Claire's wedding gown.;p
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlklhm
Haha Anna Hathaway's princess role in Princess Diary 2 also copied Belgium Princess Claire's wedding gown.;p
Ha! The Princess Diaries books are all over the royal forums lately. I was just talking about how great they are in the forum about Jazmin Grace Grimaldi. (Also, for a witty fictional account of the royal wedding from the perspective of Princess Mia of Genovia, check out www.miathermopolis.com)

I love this article!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow, I did not know Mia had her own website! It is awesome.... and very funny!

Closed Thread