The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 1: June 2011 - November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the minority (as always) but eh. I'm bored already, and it's been 2 months of marriage and one overseas trip.

The clothes are lovely by themselves, but I'm just not loving them on Kate. The dress she wore yesterday was nice-ish, but in the majority of the photos I saw, it looked white and even when I saw it in lavender I was underwhelmed.

Wasn't it Queen Elizabeth who said something about wearing colours so that she was always noticeable to her 'subjects'?

I think for her next trip Kate should leave the hairdresser at home and bring a dresser/stylist instead.

In the minority (as always) but eh. I'm bored already, and it's been 2 months of marriage and one overseas trip.

I think for her next trip Kate should leave the hairdresser at home and bring a dresser/stylist instead.

First: I dont think you are in the minority really. Count me in for the "already bored people" camp too.
Second: What hairdresser? All I saw was hair hanging down, Kate playing with her hair, wind blowing Kate's hair all over the place.

Full view on the shoes:
http://whatkatewore.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/x610-28.jpg

Last edited:
Gosh I truly hope she doesn't head to the Swedish court for hairstyle ideas. They let Victoria walk around with her hair pulled back so tight that her eyebrows almost touch her hairline, it really is deeply unattractive on Victoria and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it to her.

You'd think they way people are going on that Kate never wears her hair in any other style which it patently false. She has worn her hair both fully tied back and 'half and half' on more that one occasion over the last 10 days.

I agree; I think Victoria's hair looks awful most of the time (and so does the Queen's).
Madeleine's is better, but she seldom varies her style either.

But Victoria's is the worst; she really needs something to soften that jawline.

That's the last place I would send Kate for tips on hair styles! She does wear other styles on occasion, but she obviously prefers her hair down, which is her prerogative.

Last edited:
What I think this all stems from though is the desire for Kate to become some sort of international clothes horse like Diana was. It's pretty clear from the fact that she chose not to take a dresser with her on this tour and her fairly conservative, although always totally elegant, choice in her clothes that this is the last thing she wants to be.

I think we're seeing Kate trying her best not to fall into the trap that befell Diana - where people don't care about anything other than what she was wearing. Kate wants to try and keep as much of the spotlight on the cause that they happen to be championing at any given moment and also on her husband who is the future King.

Now, the international press will probably not play ball with her on this. They already seem pretty obsessed with her; I think she's probably fighting a losing battle. But, she seems determined not to encourage them and so I think you'll continue to see her dress appropriately but not spectacularly. Which will probably not please the 'fashion police' on these forums who, I might add, are often incredibly cruel with some of their comments.

It has been very refreshing to see a young new royal not adopting the runway look. She has beautiful long hair and it is perhaps her comfort. To being used to wear long hair down and suddenly put it up is often an uncomfortable feeling. As time goes by I am sure she will experiment more with different styles. For the time being she is doing a great job while looking great so no need re-do her yet.

Kate's Canada/USA Triumph

YES! EIIR and grevinnan, I see it as you do.

It is clear that Kate is trying to avoid the traps into which Diana fell, yet at the same time push British fashion and always look her best, while staying in her own comfort zone. How can we fault her for that?

On the truly triumphant Canada/USA tour, there were looks I liked less than others, but compare her to any other public figure. The overall impression is what counts -- and the impression of the tour is one of excellence and effortless elegance. She is beautiful, and at the same time lovely (not always found together...) in her impeccable manner. What a handsome pair she and William make, and for the UK, they have become the greatest ambassadors in the world. I wish people wouldn't nitpick, since the whole is quite remarkable. It will be interesting to watch her evolve over the years, but I suspect she will always err on the side of caution and remember her primary function: to support and bring credit to her husband and his position -- without seeking to draw undue attention to herself.

I thought Kate looked very pretty in the lavender gown. I am not in awe of her fashion sense but she dresses very well. Whether some like it or not Kate is already becoming a fashionista; the dresses she buys at stores and online sell out in minutes.

I think we're seeing Kate trying her best not to fall into the trap that befell Diana - where people don't care about anything other than what she was wearing. Kate wants to try and keep as much of the spotlight on the cause that they happen to be championing at any given moment and also on her husband who is the future King.
I know what you're saying, but in some sense I think a) she partially doesn't have any control over what people think about her (mags will write about whatever they want and people will talk about whatever they want) and b) I actually don't think she is helping her case if she doesn't want to be seen as a clothes horse. The reason I say the latter is because she is choosing to stay in the background and just be a support to PW...so what else can people write or talk about besides what she looks like if her own actions are kind of nonexistent? If she were out there doing some kind of charity or work then people would have something to talk about other than her fashion. But, IMO, the fact that she is choosing to be a stay at home wife is bringing some of this fashion obsession on herself. When Diana was out there walking amongst landmines, I don't think people were talking about her khakis and button down shirt, right?

I'm probably not being super clear, but I kind of think her own actions/decisions are leaving people with nothing to talk about but the way she looks and how she presents herself. If she were giving speeches or involved with causes that she believed in then papers and people could talk about her latest speech or how great it is that she cares about xyz. Anyway...just my opinion.

As far as her gown last night, it was pretty but I wasn't blown away or anything. I thought she was miles better dressed than some/most of the celebrities - except Rita Wilson, who I thought looked smashing - but I was a bit bored...again. I wonder how that dress would have looked in a deep red. The light lavender seemed so debutante's first ball or something.

I did like her sparkly shoes and bag but, once again, was disappointed in her hair. It's kind of cracking me up that she needed a personal hairdresser for the trip. I think a soft, loose up-do with some curly tendrils hanging down would have been nice...and then we would have been able to see those gorgeous (were they? I couldn't see them through all the hair!) earrings she apparently borrowed from Queen.

I thought Kate looked great last night. And updo would have looked amazing but I'm not complaining because she's got gorgeous hair!

Love the gown, but no loving it completely on Kate. I think a woman with a few more curves would have pulled off this dress perfectly, plus, the lackluster hair is a real downer on the look. Liz needs to send Kate to the Swedish Court for a lesson on hair styling.

Oh my God I hope not. A ponytail at every ocassion!!!!

What I think this all stems from though is the desire for Kate to become some sort of international clothes horse like Diana was. It's pretty clear from the fact that she chose not to take a dresser with her on this tour and her fairly conservative, although always totally elegant, choice in her clothes that this is the last thing she wants to be.

Now, the international press will probably not play ball with her on this. They already seem pretty obsessed with her; I think she's probably fighting a losing battle. But, she seems determined not to encourage them and so I think you'll continue to see her dress appropriately but not spectacularly. Which will probably not please the 'fashion police' on these forums who, I might add, are often incredibly cruel with some of their comments.

Very well said and I agree completely. Catherine is supporting William and is doing her best not to become a fashion icon, but part of a team. Perhaps he has told her how much he loves her hair down, perhaps she is pleasing him.. She has been elegantly appropriate during this trip and indeed, since she has become engaged. She just might think that if the fashionistas call her style "boring" it is a compliment and she has accomplished what she set out to do. A woman who is wise beyond her years, is the Duchess of Cambridge.

Would have chosen a different belt, but a part from that it was fine. I wonder how long it's going to take for people to get over the eyeliner and Kate wearing her hair down? It's her thing she's been doing it for years, it's time to move on.

Oh honestly I like her hair down. The dress is beautiful and elegant and the color is lovely. I LOVE her shoes. The earrings she apparently got from the Queen are pretty as well. I really like this look. She has a certain style and this is it. The Betl is my favorite part. i love everything about the dress.

Would have chosen a different belt, but a part from that it was fine. I wonder how long it's going to take for people to get over the eyeliner and Kate wearing her hair down? It's her thing she's been doing it for years, it's time to move on.

I would agree that it is time to move on .... we all know there are those that do NOT like her hair down and her eye liner, it has been noted ... many, many times. :lol: Also, I have known a number of women over the years who have worn their hair down (and long) far past the time they really should have simply because that is what their husband likes.

As to Catherine "doing things" for people to comment on rather than just her hair and fashion, please, she has not been married even three months yet, I think it is pushing a bit for that accusation. If it is still the case in a year then that is another thing. I'm not a fan of the strong eye linger but look at any fashion magazine and you will see it. I just hope she is not doing the same thing in thirty years. :)

YES! EIIR and grevinnan, I see it as you do.

It is clear that Kate is trying to avoid the traps into which Diana fell, yet at the same time push British fashion and always look her best, while staying in her own comfort zone. How can we fault her for that?

On the truly triumphant Canada/USA tour, there were looks I liked less than others, but compare her to any other public figure. The overall impression is what counts -- and the impression of the tour is one of excellence and effortless elegance. She is beautiful, and at the same time lovely (not always found together...) in her impeccable manner. What a handsome pair she and William make, and for the UK, they have become the greatest ambassadors in the world. I wish people wouldn't nitpick, since the whole is quite remarkable. It will be interesting to watch her evolve over the years, but I suspect she will always err on the side of caution and remember her primary function: to support and bring credit to her husband and his position -- without seeking to draw undue attention to herself.
Yes she is beautiful and lovely and they are a dynamite pair for the BRF. She has always supported William and does appear to be styling herself as a "normal" wife. That said, I was disapointed in her dressy look for the end of the tour. Could not see the earrings for the hair and the dress was very plain for me.

Love the gown, but no loving it completely on Kate. I think a woman with a few more curves would have pulled off this dress perfectly, plus, the lackluster hair is a real downer on the look. Liz needs to send Kate to the Swedish Court for a lesson on hair styling.

Agree about the fit. The top part could have been tailored better but I liked the bottom. Her shoes were nice as well. I hope to see them with a shorter hemline the next time she wears them.

I do think though that Kate is interested in fashion otherwise she would be wearing no-name labels rather than the Jenny Packham, Alexander McQueen, and Erdem of the world. For example: Angela Kelly the Queen's dresser would be the only clothes she would wear.

I understand the point however that you feel that she aspires to be more and I certainly hope so as well. Although one can balance a life of high-fashion with charitable causes much like Diana did. In fact I always thought that she used the interest people had in her clothes and tried to redirect that to other more important causes.

Last edited:
I do think though that Kate is interested in fashion otherwise she would be wearing no-name labels rather than the Jenny Packham, Alexander McQueen, and Erdem of the world. For example: Angela Kelly the Queen's dresser would be the only clothes she would wear.
Kate often wears no-name labels, and mixes them with designer pieces for more versatility. She's known for shopping Kensington High Street and buying clothes off the rack.

My fav ( of eveningwear) was # 23! Honorable mention goes to # 20!

The Bafta dress was lovely but the colour still veered towards neutral!
It would have been amazing to see those earrings HM loaned the new Duchess if Kate had worn her hair up or at least half up. As it was, they were only visible when she (as usual) played with her hair. :bang:

Another advantage of putting her hair up? It would bring more focus to Kate's eyes and then maybe HRH could start weaning herself off that eyeliner!:flowers:

Still, she looked lovely. She's never going to be as magical as Diana was, but I don't think she wants or needs to be another Diana. Hopefully as the Duchess gains confidence she will spread her wings a bit and not always stick to the completely safe choices as is her wont now. While she hasn't put a foot wrong since the wedding, IMO a year from now - those safe choices will start crossing the line into boring . And there's still the issue of her usual neutral palette making it difficult for the Duchess to be seen by the crowds who are not right up front. And isn't a Duchess meant to be seen?:whistling:

The Bafta dress was lovely but the colour still veered towards neutral!
It would have been amazing to see those earrings HM loaned the new Duchess if Kate had worn her hair up or at least half up. As it was, they were only visible when she (as usual) played with her hair. :bang:

Another advantage of putting her hair up? It would bring more focus to Kate's eyes and then maybe HRH could start weaning herself off that eyeliner!:flowers:

Still, she looked lovely. She's never going to be as magical as Diana was, but I don't think she wants or needs to be another Diana. Hopefully as the Duchess gains confidence she will spread her wings a bit and not always stick to the completely safe choices as is her wont now. While she hasn't put a foot wrong since the wedding, IMO a year from now - those safe choices will start crossing the line into boring . And there's still the issue of her usual neutral palette making it difficult for the Duchess to be seen by the crowds who are not right up front. And isn't a Duchess meant to be seen?:whistling:
I so agree with you on this! Diana was Diana. Kate is Kate. She will be/ grow to be/ is magical in a way unique to her, just as Diana had her own brand of magic. She is not a replacement for Diana. The only person Kate needs to be is Kate.

I so agree with you on this! Diana was Diana. Kate is Kate. She will be/ grow to be/ is magical in a way unique to her, just as Diana had her own brand of magic. She is not a replacement for Diana. The only person Kate needs to be is Kate.

Agreed - and I think it is long overdue that the people who are dying to see her in the glitz and glam clothes need to realise this.
If Catherine wants to experiment with her clothing, then I am sure she will do so when she is ready for it.

Let her be, she will most likely be a part of the BRF for the rest of her life so there is plenty of time to see what happens.

Haha Anna Hathaway's princess role in Princess Diary 2 also copied Belgium Princess Claire's wedding gown.;p

tlklhm said:
Haha Anna Hathaway's princess role in Princess Diary 2 also copied Belgium Princess Claire's wedding gown.;p

Ha! The Princess Diaries books are all over the royal forums lately. I was just talking about how great they are in the forum about Jazmin Grace Grimaldi. (Also, for a witty fictional account of the royal wedding from the perspective of Princess Mia of Genovia, check out www.miathermopolis.com)

I love this article!

Wow, I did not know Mia had her own website! It is awesome:cool:.... and very funny!:lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom