The Duchess of Cambridge's Eveningwear, Part 1: June 2011 - November 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might be the only person but the hair up does NOTHING for me. It takes away from Catherine's look IMO.

For women with long hair (I have it as well) there's not much you can do with it...it can be straight, curly, half up/half down or whatever, but I think on the whole it looks better when its out.

For some reason, with her hair up it looks like she just got a rubber band or something. I need a clearer picture of the back...but I think with the dress and the pin, a nice curly set would have been nice...or a sleek ponytail to the side.

Beautiful dress though...and yes...the pin does wear better with the purple. I pulled out my copy of The Queen's Jewels...and the Queen Mary's Rose of York bracelet would have been nice...but too flashy in these economic times.

To all our forumees who think she should wear her hair up more:

The upswept hair style she wore tonight makes her look considerably older.

Zonk: You hit the proverbial nail on the head and I agree with you completely. After months of reading the comments of so many of our fellow participants who are so very anxious to see Catherine's hair up, I fail to see the point. She has a lovely long neck and the most beautiful hair and there are few that can wear their hair down as well. I thought yesterday's half up/half down was terrific as well.

Last edited:
I love all her looks, dresses, shoes, handbags, fasinator/hat, hair, she looks stunning! just how does she do it? the newspapers said she always has her hairdresser, but all this clothes are with no wrinkles and normally when you travel the clothes get wrinkles , so who is ironing her clothes her hairdreserr? may be her secretary?
or may be she has magic suitcases?
anyhow she looks perfect!

To all our forumees who think she should wear her hair up more:

The upswept hair style she wore tonight makes her look considerably older.

I agree, and that is because Kate chose a Princess Anne hairstyle and nothing that would be suitable for a young woman her age.

Lovely dress but the material looks cheap to me and it is not very well fitted, I am not suprised that people talk about weight loss / Kate being too skinny since dresses like these are just hanging off her body.

I do think the updo tonight makes Kate look a bit older. But I'm interested in the earrings, and glad that her hair is up, so I can get a good look at them. Anyone recognize these? They have a ring of familiarity to me, but I can't "place" them. I don't think they were Diana's so maybe from Kate's collection?

ashelen said:
I love all her looks, dresses, shoes, handbags, fasinator/hat, hair, she looks stunning! just how does she do it? the newspapers said she always has her hairdresser, but all this clothes are with no wrinkles and normally when you travel the clothes get wrinkles , so who is ironing her clothes her hairdreserr? may be her secretary?
or may be she has magic suitcases?
anyhow she looks perfect!

After her marriage on April 29th, it was reported that HRH the DoC was suppossed to be accompanied, along with HRH the Duke of Cambridge, to this visit to Canada by her senior lady-in-waiting. Many of the duties mentioned are the reason for the sr liw employ, and I am almost positive she is paid very well - definitely, not a minium wage job. I am not sure if HRH the DoC's sister, Miss Philippa Middleton, was ever hired, as was reported, for the job.

Kate in a purple Issa dress looked really like the color and design, its pretty for the event, elegant yet simple. Im also really happy that she has her hair up, finally! Looks much nicer on her.

I think she looks lovely here the colour is great and yes that heaven the hair is up .... it's a miracle.

Her hair looks nice but I prefer it loose.
The purple dress I not my favorite dress on her.

I really like the Issa purple dress, Catherine was lovely. I like her hairstyle, with the hair pulled up Catherine looks pretty.

Well, they're doing us proud !!! (despite dresses, brooches etc.)

After her marriage on April 29th, it was reported that HRH the DoC was suppossed to be accompanied, along with HRH the Duke of Cambridge, to this visit to Canada by her senior lady-in-waiting. Many of the duties mentioned are the reason for the sr liw employ, and I am almost positive she is paid very well - definitely, not a minium wage job. I am not sure if HRH the DoC's sister, Miss Philippa Middleton, was ever hired, as was reported, for the job.

L-i-W's are not paid. They get their expenses reimbursed, but they are not paid.

she looks so beautiful in the purple dress i like it.
nice to see her doing something else to hair hair looks elegant.

Love, love, love the whole outfit. It doesn't seem old to me, it seems classic - which is smart. It won't look dated. Later on, Diana's clothes became more classic in nature and aged well in photographs, but at the beginning she had some really screaming eighties outfits.

I think Catherine is playing it exactly right. She's very beautiful and they are obviously in love and I think she means to do this well - that she did not undertake it lightly and does not want to be seen as a silly woman for whom fashion is more than a guideline and a minor part of her "role", if you will - but not an occupation. I think her clothing choices are the exact right balance between "classic" and "understated" - which is how I believe she will play out her role - as a very traditional Queen Consort - strong and supportive, following the lead of the Sovereign, undertaking her own interests in a gradual and low keyed manner. Her clothes say this, I think.

Either way, it's a lovely outfit and I love the color and the hair and the brooch is perfect. It's old enough to be retro-cool on its own and it's serious enough to be considered bling and even were it none of those things, it sends a message to the people of Canada, of whom she will one day be Queen, that she cares about our traditions and our loyalty and takes her role as the future custodian of those traditions and loyalties seriously.

If it's a little large or out of place or too staid, we must remember what it means and factor that into the judgement. It's like saying that general's uniform would look better if the medals were color coordinated or all of the same metal.

Win from me.

Nicely said. I don't think any outfit had disappointed except maybe the Carrington dress but even then she looked good. As for her makeup I think she does a good kob. everyone wears eyeliner especially when you are younger and if she wore her makeup like the Queen or any of the other royal ladies she would look older. It's a semi-smokey eye which is on trend and I have never ever seen it over done.

Dress from BBQ was nice, casual and comfortable. It was beginning of the tour but now I wish to see DoCam in some colors. During this visit she is wearing black, gray, blue and beige almost all the time.

Great color, suits her a lot. The cut is nice, even deep neckline doesn't looks vulgar for me. I like diamond jewelery and up-do.

Diane Von Furstenberg dress
The color is great on her but the dress is quite casual for an evening reception IMO, I would not pass this as a cocktail dress. I wish her hair was styled differently to give it a more glamourous look.

Last edited:
It is nice to see an up-do for once. I feel like we haven't seen many great hairstyles which is interesting to me because she did bring a hairdresser along on the trip.

Kate looks outstandingly lovely with her hair up. Plus, we don't have to watch her play with it when she feels nervous, LOL. Seriously though, that is a great look on the new Duchess and I hope she will feel more inclined to wear it up as time goes on and her confidence increases.:flowers:

The color is great on her but the dress is quite casual for an evening reception IMO, I would not pass this as a cocktail dress. I wish her hair was styled differently to give it a more glamourous look.

Agree with you on every single point, dazzling. The green looks quite good with her eye colour but if you had not pointed it out - I would have never, ever imagined this frock was being worn as a cocktail dress, let alone for one of the few evening receptions the Cambridges are attending in Canada. Maybe Kate would have got away with the simple dress (worn as cocktail wear) if she had her hair up? This is the first time Kate reminds me of Chelsy Davy, especially Chelsy at Kate and William's wedding. She needs to step it up a few notches for the evenings; after all, looking glamourous some of the time is part of the Royal "job" requirements! I just wish she'd exchange the formal make-up, particularly the eye-liner,:bang: for a more formal hair style. Kate would look so much younger and fresher with less cosmetics and she could easily pull off a more glamourous look just by wearing her hair up.:flowers:

This whole look from head to toe is just too casual for a Royal attending an evening reception. I also wish the Duchess would gain a few pounds; there is not much left of her... Maybe the Balmoral break will do her good and we will see a healthier-sized and more natural-faced Kate at the Braemar games. I wonder if she will take after HM and the Princess Royal and wear kilts at Balmoral or if she will follow more in Diana and Sarah's footsteps. Oh, so much to look forward to!:whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the colour but not the sort of dress that could pass as a cocktail dress. Your right about her hair. She needs to glam up abit for the evening this really looks like little effort. She has a hairdresser with her use them she can do that look herself. I have higher hopes for the BAFTA event. But I have a feeling we may be disappointed I hope I am wrong and she dazzles us. I loved the pink dress she wore to the last evening event she went too. Some nice jewels too would go down well.

I hate saying this, because I don't like commenting on people's weight, but she either needs to gain a few pounds OR have her dress tailored.

It could be the style, but the body (top part) of the green dress is swimming on her. I know she's skinny, but it looks... well, it looks like something, I, with no money and no stylist, would do.

As for her hair, I'll never understand people who wear their hair down, and then spend the entire day pushing off their face.

All that being said: COLOUR! GLOURIOUS NON NAVY BLUE/BEIGE COLOUR!! Yaaaay!

When I've seen her in green dress,I've thought that it was just nearly perfect choice,finally she brought a different colour of the outfit.Generally speaking,I am very glad to see in vivid-coloured dresses:yellow,red and my favourite,the green one.I think she looks far more better and younger with her hair down.
Actually,she is skinny,but it doesn't matter,as Nicole Kidman or Calista Flockhart have always been so and I could not say that's anything very wrong with their outfits.I think in a couple of years she'll develop her own style.

As for her hair, I'll never understand people who wear their hair down, and then spend the entire day pushing off their face.

All that being said: COLOUR! GLOURIOUS NON NAVY BLUE/BEIGE COLOUR!! Yaaaay!

It might be something of a nervous tick that she doesn't even realize she's doing. I do the same thing. I feel more comfortable with my hair down (because I have a round face and feel I need it to keep me from looking chubby in the face-something I definitely am NOT), but then I play with it, without realizing it. I'm better when my mother is around as she reminds me it's not appropriate... Definitely something that she needs to work on with someone though.

I love the color. I'm a little jealous, Catherine certainly has a fantastic skin tone to be able to pull off white and creams just as easily as bright jewel tones as well as pastels and navys...I have to stick with naturals and earth tones for the most part.

Oh, always on a quest for better photos...

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

This is what I've been waiting for the whole tour; a brightly colored dress. I think she gauged correctly what southern CA is all about these days. Kate has a wonderful warm skin tone and she can really carry it off. It does look like it fits a bit loose on her but alot of her clothes look that way since she's so slim especially in her hips.

As for her hair, she should have pulled it up but it's not windy so it's not a big problem. :flowers:

She looks wonderful in the green color, imo.
It's a bit casual for an evening reception and could use a pretty pin or necklace, but it's better to be understated than overdressed.

I agree with others - great dress, great colour but without decent jewellery & updo too casual.

Love the green, but where is the jewelry? She is starting to have that lollipop head look because she is too thin. I am in total agreement, keep your hands out of your hair or pin it back.

I am not a green fan but she looks nice and I agree with you rubies re hair and head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom